Gophers release depth chart: Connor Mayes, Wozniak starting

An old TCU-Minnesota recruiting battle making his appearance on the field! (Connor Mayes)

I think the staff though it was either Duke A. or Williams last year. Clearly with Duke blowing out his knee he is a work in progress. They TE group is not one generic group in the view of the coaches. Some are much better suite to specific uses than others, so we will probably see 3 to 4 play in any given game.

Hank Ekpe listed as a Jr? Me thoughts he was a Frosh........ halp?!

Who is our best tight end? Asking for a friend...

The best players available are starting and are two-deep on the roster. That's how it works. Players that are injured or not up to speed are not the best players. Any other conjecture is foolishness. Look at the RB and WR line-ups. Croft not on two-deeps. Right where it should be.

That said: Wozniak is a force. The Ekpe brothers next to each other is fascinating. Carter as back-up holder is interesting.

The best players available are starting and are two-deep on the roster. That's how it works. Players that are injured or not up to speed are not the best players. Any other conjecture is foolishness. Look at the RB and WR line-ups. Croft not on two-deeps. Right where it should be. That said: Wozniak is a force. The Ekpe brothers next to each other is fascinating. Carter as back-up holder is interesting.

WTF are you talking about? No one said best player available. They said our best TE's are hurt.

I think the staff though it was either Duke A. or Williams last year. Clearly with Duke blowing out his knee he is a work in progress. They TE group is not one generic group in the view of the coaches. Some are much better suite to specific uses than others, so we will probably see 3 to 4 play in any given game.

The staff seemed to like Duke's potential but I don't think there was ever any doubt that the staff and everyone else for that matter thought Maxx was our best TE by a mile.

Of the group we have now it is tough to say how the position will pan out. I don't know that there is an elite receiver in the bunch but hopefully a few of them pan out to be solid options for us in the passing game because a good receiving TE is a huge comfort for a QB.

WTF are you talking about? No one said best player available. They said our best TE's are hurt.

Not necessarily true. They're not the best TE if they are hurt. Injuries are part of the game and can't be taken out of the equation, ever. Wozniak has always been the heir apparent. He has his shot now.

I noticed Woz in the Spring Game. You can't miss the guy. He is a frickin beast at 6' 10". No way they don't just post him up for 5-7 yard passes in the middle every few plays. How can a DB go against a guy a foot taller?

I noticed Woz in the Spring Game. You can't miss the guy. He is a frickin breast at 6' 10". No way they don't just post him up for 5-7 yard passes in the middle every few plays. How can a DB go against a guy a foot taller?

Duke or no Duke I do not care!

I've got soul.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzbk0ouj0uE.>>>>>

I noticed Woz in the Spring Game. You can't miss the guy. He is a frickin breast at 6' 10". No way they don't just post him up for 5-7 yard passes in the middle every few plays. How can a DB go against a guy a foot taller?

A breast? Are you calling him a boob?

Good Point

Right now, this looks like the best D in the last 20 plus years. No weak spots unless Poock is not what advertised. Hopefully the depth holds up.

O looks very spotty to me. Worried that Gentry and Gant don't crack top 6 receivers (injuries?). Red flag was those three (including Holland) redshirting on a team very weak with WRs.

We'll see what happens half way through the season...are they dinged up? Or just not ready for prime time? Jeff Jones not establishing himself more solidly going into the season is a concern too. Big part of the O looking spotty is how good our offensive line is...

nasty but true...doesn't matter if the quarterback can't put the ball in the right spot. But I liked Wozniak a lot last year in practice...very surprised he didn't get more pass catching opportunities. Hopefully he performs in that role.

If you believe Ryan Burns, he may have already leapfrogged Rhoda and Perra. I also think that CS5 practicing at other positions means something. I could be wrong, but I still think Chris is the backup this year <b>unless </b>we end up needing a backup for multiple games - specifically later in the season. I'm not reading anything into Chris being listed as the #2 QB on this week's depth chart other than him being the backup in the TCU game.

And even that might not be in stone based on the game situation, Leidner's situation, time and score etc etc If Leidner plays the whole game, Streveler is number 2....that's what I think it means....again
depending on the previously mentioned factors if we must play another quarterback due to circumstances.

Jeff Jones not establishing himself more solidly going into the season is a concern too.

he had a concussion that has held him back so that has to count for something

I understand everyones concern at TE...Wozniak will do his job, and at 6-10 / 271 is a huge target. The kid can run block too. The high school he comes from here in Indianapolis runs the wing-T (Center Grove). They will run, run, and run you to death, and when you arent paying attention and load the box cause you need to to stop the run, they lob it 30 yards down field for a score. Everyone here in Indy hates playing that game, boring but effective (hard nosed football team). My kid played against them for four years (Warren Central) so i have seen Nate play a dozen or so games. Just so you know...i work with Trent Maynards dad here in Indy (no inside track) but they are some of the nicest ppl in the world, would love for him to go to Minny. Good Luck tomorrow night. Go Gophers

Two wild card possibilities based on comments from Jerry and the depth chart....how much of an impact are Shannon Brooks and Rashad Still going to be on Thursday? It'd be very nice if somebody came out of no where to make a huge impact. Maybe it's Wozniak as a pass catcher? Maybe Jeff Jones surprises Jerry on game day because he has consistently panned him all summer... trust me I'm hoping...just going on comments and the chart noamfromm... so, those are my four wild card impact selections.
If don't mind I could pick about a dozen more and hope a few somebodies make some plays. Like Jerry said: We need to make some big plays Thursday? Who do you guys think is our BIG GAME GUY?

sorry, I got the whole page here...I'm fired up!!!

Two wild card possibilities based on comments from Jerry and the depth chart....how much of an impact are Shannon Brooks and Rashad Still going to be on Thursday? It'd be very nice if somebody came out of no where to make a huge impact. Maybe it's Wozniak as a pass catcher? Maybe Jeff Jones surprises Jerry on game day because he has consistently panned him all summer... trust me I'm hoping...just going on comments and the chart noamfromm... so, those are my four wild card impact selections.
If don't mind I could pick about a dozen more and hope a few somebodies make some plays. Like Jerry said: We need to make some big plays Thursday? Who do you guys think is our BIG GAME GUY?

sorry, I got the whole page here...I'm fired up!!!

I like you on the football board ;)

Having Duke and Plsek out isn't ideal, but I think we'll be fine. Kill has been talking up Woz and has said he's probably the most improved player on the team. Scarver has been tearing it up in practice and is a load. Lingen got experience last year and is probably our best all-around TE. The bigger concern should be the O-line w/o Lauer. Bobek and Mayes are making their first starts ever, and Christenson hasn't played for over a year and half. That's not a great omen for the interior of the line going against TCU....

Having Duke and Plsek out isn't ideal, but I think we'll be fine. Kill has been talking up Woz and has said he's probably the most improved player on the team. Scarver has been tearing it up in practice and is a load. Lingen got experience last year and is probably our best all-around TE. The bigger concern should be the O-line w/o Lauer. Bobek and Mayes are making their first starts ever, and Christenson hasn't played for over a year and half. That's not a great omen for the interior of the line going against TCU....

Does the coaching staff have a general rule of not starting if you've been missing practice (whether it's an injury, or not)? If yes, maybe showing Lauer as 2nd team is just for that reason. In reality, he could end up playing a majority of the snaps.

Christenson played last year.

Really excited about the two deep on defense. That is the best two deep we have had in my 18 years as a season ticket holder on paper.We finally have Big 10 defense we can be proud of.
This is by far the best collection of athletes we have had at Minnesota on defense. Our defense is going to be a real bad M'fer. I have a heck of a lot of confidence in Tracy Claeys as the defensive coordinator to be on point and calling a great game Thursday night. This Gophers defense is going to rise to the occasion and stop Boykin.
Winning championships starts on that side of the football, and I finally feel like the Gophers have arrived on defense. They have a chance to be one of the top units in the Big 10. They know they are good and will prove it tomorrow night.
There are many two's on this Gophers depth chart that would have started in years past. With the yucky humid weather were going to need a good rotation on all units on the defensive side of the ball. As usual I expect the offense to struggle and the defense to have to carry us at least in the first half. We are going to need to hold for field goals and the guys that come in for the starters are not going to be able to let up. This TCU team is good, but we are not the chopped liver the media and the Frogs fans are making us out to be. Gophers have a shot in this game because our defense is going to be one tough sucker to run and throw on. The Gophers finally have a legitimate Big 10 defense that can win football games.

Why are people so bent out of shape about TE? Lingen and Woz played fair amount last year (Woz on special teams). Plsek is a tough loss but Duke has zero snaps in 3 seasons.

Why are people so bent out of shape about TE? Lingen and Woz played fair amount last year (Woz on special teams). Plsek is a tough loss but Duke has zero snaps in 3 seasons.

Probably because 2 of our top 3 are out and TEs are a huge part of our offense. That said I'm just excited for H-Back U

Top Bottom