Gophers release depth chart: Connor Mayes, Wozniak starting

Right now, this looks like the best D in the last 20 plus years. No weak spots unless Poock is not what advertised. Hopefully the depth holds up.

O looks very spotty to me. Worried that Gentry and Gant don't crack top 6 receivers (injuries?). Red flag was those three (including Holland) redshirting on a team very weak with WRs.

Right now, this looks like the best D in the last 20 plus years. No weak spots unless Poock is not what advertised. Hopefully the depth holds up.

O looks very spotty to me. Worried that Gentry and Gant don't crack top 6 receivers (injuries?). Red flag was those three (including Holland) redshirting on a team very weak with WRs.

Chill out man. Those two are Redshirt freshmen. Gentry has battled injuries and Gant is still raw. They have the potential to be very good. More importantly they have plenty of time to realize that potential.

Unfortunate both Duke and Plsek will be out but pretty sure that was anticipated right?

Unfortunate both Duke and Plsek will be out but pretty sure that was anticipated right?

Not the way you want to start the post-Maxx era, with your two best TE's out. No Jerry Gibson as well??

Looks like strevelar is still qb2.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Based on two of the better TEs being out, do you expect to see a different plan on offense? I would love to see this veteran line get a good push up the middle and test their MLB against Williams.

Not the way you want to start the post-Maxx era, with your two best TE's out. No Jerry Gibson as well??

Good point about Gibson. Blocking issues?

JG3 not being in the 2-Deep is surprising to me. I thought/think he has potential to run that seam route and exploit the inexperienced LBs of TCU. Not sure who on the 2-Deep is going to do that unless a RB or Slot guy goes thru the front line first. Needed DA81 to be healthy Thursday, I fear.

Based on two of the better TEs being out, do you expect to see a different plan on offense? I would love to see this veteran line get a good push up the middle and test their MLB against Williams.

First off, I wouldn't discount the cloak and dagger aspect of this depth chart. Lots of guys with limited film on this. Kill and Patterson have been going back and forth on this stuff all week.
Second, I'd be shocked if Lauer doesn't line up at TE on some plays considering this lineup. They have guys they trust and a gaping hole at blocking TE. Ed Olson did this in some games.
Third, I feel pretty good about that defense.

Not sure the game plan will change a bunch but I think it is probably a good bet that the TE won't be all that involved in the passing game. I would expect to see those guys serve more as extra linemen as opposed to receivers. If we find ourselves down it will put a lot more pressure on the receivers in the passing game.

Another part of this might be the team we're playing against, especially with Poock. They are not a smashmouth team and you need to get sideline to sideline and spy Boykin. Maybe they feel Poock does that best

First off, I wouldn't discount the cloak and dagger aspect of this depth chart. Lots of guys with limited film on this. Kill and Patterson have been going back and forth on this stuff all week.
Second, I'd be shocked if Lauer doesn't line up at TE on some plays considering this lineup. They have guys they trust and a gaping hole at blocking TE. Ed Olson did this in some games.

Gaping hole? Brandon Lingen played in 11 games as a true freshman and started 1. Only had 2 catches, but at least he played quite a bit. There's a chance he could emerge this year.

Gaping hole? Brandon Lingen played in 11 games as a true freshman and started 1. Only had 2 catches, but at least he played quite a bit. There's a chance he could emerge this year.

Kill had glowing remarks about Lingen today on his radio show.

Lot of question marks at WR and TE. Pretty important that Leidner be accurate from the get-go. He is a redshirt upperclassman with significant playing time, him and Nugget are going to have to lead this offense.

Really? I'm not seeing that at all.

We have to play with the guys we have, but it sure is a hit that we lose Lauer & Plsek. Campion can play LT just fine, but we drop off with Connor Mayes inside & Lingen is game, but he's no Plsek in terms of size, maturity & physicality. Against an amazing DL like we'll be facing, we could have used our best 6 on the OL.

Did anyone ever really think that Streveler was moving to TE or that Croft was going to leapfrog Rhoda/Perra/Streveler to #2?

If you believe Ryan Burns, he may have already leapfrogged Rhoda and Perra. I also think that CS5 practicing at other positions means something. I could be wrong, but I still think Chris is the backup this year <b>unless </b>we end up needing a backup for multiple games - specifically later in the season. I'm not reading anything into Chris being listed as the #2 QB on this week's depth chart other than him being the backup in the TCU game.

Lingen's got some nasty in him, but he's still a kid & his body hasn't matured yet. Plsek goes 270lb & will absolutely bury you.

We have to play with the guys we have, but it sure is a hit that we lose Lauer & Plsek. Campion can play LT just fine, but we drop off with Connor Mayes inside & Lingen is game, but he's no Plsek in terms of size, maturity & physicality. Against an amazing DL like we'll be facing, we could have used our best 6 on the OL.

Spot On.

If you believe Ryan Burns, he may have already leapfrogged Rhoda and Perra. I also think that CS5 practicing at other positions means something. I could be wrong, but I still think Chris is the backup this year <b>unless </b>we end up needing a backup for multiple games - specifically later in the season. I'm not reading anything into Chris being listed as the #2 QB on this week's depth chart other than him being the backup in the TCU game.

Don't believe.

AJ Barker was our best WR for half a year and I don't think he ever cracked the 2 deeps on the dpth chart. Wouldn't read too much into it

TE, especially Y is a very easy position to replace IMO. Not too worried. Just get a big bruiser with effort and you will be fine. Wozniak is 270 and Lingen and Scarver are 250+. You can get a way without having athletes at that position.

I listened to Kill's show on KFAN tonight and he gets a whole hour, so there is a lot of material. Of course some of it is understandably not real solid and probably meant to mislead the opposition, but it was interesting.

I heard about 2/3, and a few takeaways for me.

-Jeff Jones is just getting healthy and there are options the staff trusts more for tomorrow night (may be smoke)
-Duke is not ready to go but the Kill likes the TE group he has
-The WR we will see play are Holland, Carter, Woliatarsky, and Maye. The other guys are hurt, raw or ? ( I bet we wee a couple of others)
-Likes the Safeties, likes the depth in DB area
-missed all DLine and LB talk
-Kill really likes the depth on the Oline. Bjorkland and Lauer are the other two guys we will see a lot of
-The true freshman Brooks from GA made a huge impression on the staff. I think we will see Roderick, Smith and Brooks.
-Kill probably talked about RB Smith, but I did not hear what he said.
-Kill expects that Roderick Williams will be highly motivated. If that does not work for Smith and Brooks, 50/50
-I think the staff is going to spring these fast RBs on the opposition, with a sprinkling of Edwards/ Jones runs from formations we have never seen before. (Melvin Gordon 2013)

I am expecting plenty of trickeration. Both teams.

Awesome info and discussion in this thread. Can't wait till Thursday.

Top Bottom