2015 Gophers Football Fall Camp Thread - Tweets, Analysis and More

I thought the players were "off" social media during camp?

Either way, impressive catch, and from his previous tweets, it sounds like he's been making catches like this since Spring.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

http://btn.com/2015/08/14/5-things-tom-dienhart-learned-at-minnesota-football-practice/

5 things Tom Dienhart learned at Minnesota football practice

1. The passing game still needs work. As a junior, QB Mitch Leidner probably is what he is at this stage of his career: a workmanlike quarterback with limitations. Can you win with him? Yes. Can you win BIG with him? Probably not. He isn’t going to transform into John Elway at this point, but that’s OK. Leidner has nice touch on the deep ball. He needs work on intermediate routes, screens. He also is a leader and hard worker who knows the offense. Minnesota will go only as far as he takes it. A better corps of receivers should help. The staff has installed an up-tempo package for Leidner that may be used 20 percent of the time. Stay tuned.

I am looking forward to the updates from the scrimmage today. Thanks in advance.

Cody Poock had a nice pick 6 on Strev's first pass attempt.

Croft showed that he's still a freshman, but his talent is very easy to see.

The d-backs were really having fun out there, they are going to be fun to watch all year.

I loved the way Shannon Brooks was running, really staying low and driving. I am also much more comfortable with Nugget carrying the load after watching him today.

Maybe the biggest "play" of the morning was a student trainer going full Torii Hunter and pulling a FG back one-handed that was in danger of going over the fence a good 30 yards behind the goalpost. High fives all around from staff and players. Pretty awesome.

A lot of positives out there, but I'll let some of the more observant posters and the GH staff really fill in the details.

Good to hear the offense is outplaying the defense. I have a feeling our starting secondary probably didn't see much time though.

Oh, and screw that jackass working at the concession stand wearing a badgers t-shirt.

Demry Croft looked like a true freshmen today except when he dropped in two perfectly thrown bombs (at least one of them to Rashad Still. He really has a soft touch.

Mitch went 6-8 for on the 4 scrimmage drives but overall he looks the same as last year and will hold this team back again.

It is unfortunate that Kill has built solid position units within the team but hasn't been able to find a quality QB.

Mitch playing QB isn't fair to the rest of the team.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Mitch went 6-8 for on the 4 scrimmage drives but overall he looks the same as last year and will hold this team back again.

It is unfortunate that Kill has built solid position units within the team but hasn't been able to find a quality QB.

What would be "fair" in your estimation?

Just to be clear - if you don't think Leidner should be the QB, then either the coaching staff cannot evaluate QB play, or they are deliberately playing an inferior QB. Either way, your gripe is with the coaching Staff.

Sure wasn't fair to the team when he lead them to a comeback victory in front of 90k in Lincoln last year.

Several years ago I would have thought this was a bad thing. Essentially means that the older players aren't very talented. But I think with where the program is now and the depth we have, it usually means the young player is just playing very well.

So is Poock playing the middle with the first team? Anyone know what other LB's are that are running with the 2nd team?

Several years ago I would have thought this was a bad thing. Essentially means that the older players aren't very talented. But I think with where the program is now and the depth we have, it usually means the young player is just playing very well.

So is Poock playing the middle with the first team? Anyone know what other LB's are that are running with the 2nd team?

I think the linebackers are currently the following:

1st team: Campbell - Williams - Lynn
2nd team: Celestin - Poock - Huff

Speculation is the staff is making Poock earn the starting spot similar to Wilson 2 years ago. As we all know, Damien ended up starting that year and I think it's pretty safe to say Poock will end up starting as well.

Regarding Huff, Ryan Burns has said he has spent a few reps rushing the passer as a rush DE as well this fall and is pretty explosive, so that's one way he could see the field.

I think the linebackers are currently the following:

1st team: Campbell - Williams - Lynn
2nd team: Celestin - Poock - Huff

Speculation is the staff is making Poock earn the starting spot similar to Wilson 2 years ago. As we all know, Damien ended up starting that year and I think it's pretty safe to say Poock will end up starting as well.

Regarding Huff, Ryan Burns has said he has spent a few reps rushing the passer as a rush DE as well this fall and is pretty explosive, so that's one way he could see the field.

I figured it was pretty open with Williams and Poock but haven't really heard much about Williams last spring or this fall.

Top Bottom