Rating Leidner's skills...

Aaaaand your purposes for this weird comparison are revealed.

He's been touted by the coaches for his leadership. He's won on the road vs Nebraska and Michigan, it's possible few modern day gopher QB's have that distinction.
You neglect to add the plays he made to get us back into the Nebraska game, the Purdue game, and the pose and efficiency he showed against Michigan and Iowa.
Those are a few examples of how you can rate his leadership, it's not a number like you want it to be, but his teammates respect him and play hard for him.

I never said Mitch played poorly in the Nebraska or Purdue games. In fact they were two of his better performances. What I said was, in the clutch, he fumbled twice and almost ended the last touchdown drive, and he stalled out the last drive and needed a record field goal, plus two late interceptions, or even those games might have been losses.
Leidner is a decent qb. But so far that's all he's been.

You can complain about Leidner all you want, but the bottom line is he is the best quarterback we have.

Are you saying he needs to improve? I don't think Mitch or the coaches would disagree with that.

and he stalled out the last drive and needed a record field goal

1st and 10 at the 50: Cobb rush 2
2nd and 8 at the 48: Cobb rush 11
1st and 10 at the 37: Cobb rush 1
2nd and 9 at the 36: Cobb rush 1

3rd and 8 at the 35: Pass incomplete

Leidner really blew it.

beat bucky,

Let's play this out. Let's say we all agree with you and buy into your system. Leidner is terrible and is not going to elevate the program.

Respectfully, what's next?

Is your objective to convince us to not get our hopes up?

Are you going to start actively campaigning outside of Bierman for one of the backups?

Is it so you can say "I told you all so" at the end of the season?

There is plenty of room on this board for logical discussion and debate. I'm just wondering what your motivation is?

You said Leidner was "terrible", I did not.
I'm just asking if he has the skills necessary to take the Gophers to the next level.

3rd and 8 at the 35: Pass incomplete

Leidner really blew it.

I'm going off memory now but wasn't that the pass he overthrew to Williams outside the hash marks who had no one within ten yards of him?

For the team to get to the next level, IMO, Mitch needs to show that he is a more efficient passer.

In an extremely run-heavy offense, when teams will be cheating up to stop the run, something needs to keep them honest. That "something" should be a QB that can complete 60% of his passes.

In the B1G last year, the average stat line was 10/19, 0.5 TD, 0.5 INT, 147 yards.

Exclude Iowa - a big outlier in terms of completion percentage and TDs - and the stat line looks like 9/20, 0 TDs, 0.6 INTs, 149 yards.

I don't think he needs to be a world beater - certainly don't expect him to be Connor Cook or Cardale Jones in 2015 - but will hopefully be something closer to 12/19, 1 TD, 0.5 INT, 165 yards in the conference games. Modest but efficient numbers. A couple more first downs per game. The bowl game gives me hope he'll get there.

I don't think he needs to be a world beater - certainly don't expect him to be Connor Cook or Cardale Jones in 2015 - but will hopefully be something closer to 12/19, 1 TD, 0.5 INT, 165 yards in the conference games. Modest but efficient numbers. A couple more first downs per game. The bowl game gives me hope he'll get there.

^ this!

I think the area he most needs to improve in is recognition. All too often he passes to the most covered receiver in the pattern and he seems to have a hard time finding or leading open receivers on the scramble. If he could improve in those areas that would be huge.

I'm going off memory now but wasn't that the pass he overthrew to Williams outside the hash marks who had no one within ten yards of him?

That was on the third play of the drive when the Purdue defender on Williams was penalized 15 yards.

Last pass was intended for Wolitarsky.

I'm just asking if he has the skills necessary to take the Gophers to the next level.

Then why don't you just ask the board said question instead of making up your own rating system to put him in the most unfavorable of light?

Which of these skill comparisons do you disagree with? Or are you just another bobo?

You have no basis other than your opinion to prove anything you posted in the OP. Clutch can't be measured. I would say Mitch is play making abilities are grossly underrated, throws a nice deep ball, not to mention his ability to pick up yards on the ground

Well this is right on.. This is what i have been saying and people rip me left and right for stating the clear hard facts, mitch is a below average quarterback, for the gophers to get to the next level he will need to A) Change Identities this year with Payton Manning or B) I guess some how learn to throw a 5 yard pass and hang on to the ball when running.

These aren't facts they're opinions with no basis of measurement. It's as valid as me saying Leidner is a ten across the board, and the bigtens version Tim Tebow. See I can say dumb **** message board to.

These aren't facts they're opinions with no basis of measurement. It's as valid as me saying Leidner is a ten across the board, and the bigtens version Tim Tebow. See I can say dumb **** message board to.

If he turns out like Tebow and wins a National Championship, we will all be elated!

You have no basis other than your opinion to prove anything you posted in the OP. Clutch can't be measured. I would say Mitch is play making abilities are grossly underrated, throws a nice deep ball, not to mention his ability to pick up yards on the ground

Well, I can recall a couple of nice deep balls. One to Maye in particular. But Donovahn Jones might still be here if Leidner could have hit him in stride a few times.

Watching the BigTen classic football games gives one a good opportunity to compare the recent qb play in the conference. After two years, we've all seen what Mitch Leidner's got, but how do his skills compare with other recent qbs that have taken their teams to the next level?
On a scale of 1-10, let's rate the necessary skills...
Passing- Cook MSU 7, Jones OSU 7, Wilson UW 6, Leidner UM 4
Playmaking- Wilson UW 8, Jones OSU 7, Cook MSU 5, Leidner UM 3
Clutch Time- Wilson UW 9, Jones OSU 8, Cook MSU 6, Leidner UM 4
Running- Miller OSU 8, Wilson UW 6, Leidner UM 5, Cook MSU 3
For those Gopher fans looking for the team to take the next step, the stats along with these honest ratings might indicate it may not happen for a couple of more years.

Conjecture: n. ~ Toinfer, theorize or predict from incomplete, derived or uncertain evidence

Well, I can recall a couple of nice deep balls. One to Maye in particular. But Donovahn Jones might still be here if Leidner could have hit him in stride a few times.

I'm fairly certain disciplinary issues were the biggest reason why Jones is no longer with the team.

You rate quarterbacks by how many games they win. Leidner has led the team to 8 wins two years in a row. Joe Kapp was a lot uglier as a QB and was named NFL Player of the year in 1969. He was named team MVP and turned it down. Leidner is becoming comparable in his ability to lead. Leidner will get better on the field and his leadership will remain his strength.

Jeff George, Jay Cutler two guys with 10x the talent can't win nothun' Judge quarterbacks by winning...it's the only measure that matters.

I'm happy with Leidner and he'll be our starter the next two years. Kid's tough as nails and great leader.

We'll never be able to run the air raid offense, he's not going to the NFL, but enjoy Mitch for what he is. Hard nosed QB that gets the job done and represents MN well

I think we can the B1G west with Mitch

I'm happy with Leidner and he'll be our starter the next two years. Kid's tough as nails and great leader.

We'll never be able to run the air raid offense, he's not going to the NFL, but enjoy Mitch for what he is. Hard nosed QB that gets the job done and represents MN well

Then you like not getting to the next level.

I'm just spitballing here...

Put Leidner, Strevler and Croft in the backfield and make the other team guess who's going to pass. :p

I like Leidner. Drew Brees he is not but if he can improve his passing against good defense, because he does good enough against bad to mediorce ones, we could win 9 games this year bowl not included. He can pass when a team sells out against the run and they do not have a great secondary. Northwestern sold out against the run and he complete at 60% of his passes in that game.

Top Bottom