Lineup Next Year

Just to clarify, I did say this lineup will bring some advantages. And I still like many of the players coming in. That hasn't changed. I just pointed out that, depth wise, the one guy we couldn't lose in this class was Nwankwo. He gave us an inside scoring threat, a real physical rebounding presence, and an offensive option that other teams might have to have to consider doubling. Konate or Diedhou don't provide any of that. Yes, in a couple of years, they may be serviceable front court players- but not THIS year. Understand?

Just to clarify, I did say this lineup will bring some advantages. And I still like many of the players coming in. That hasn't changed. I just pointed out that, depth wise, the one guy we couldn't lose in this class was Nwankwo. He gave us an inside scoring threat, a real physical rebounding presence, and an offensive option that other teams might have to have to consider doubling. Konate or Diedhou don't provide any of that. Yes, in a couple of years, they may be serviceable front court players- but not THIS year. Understand?

None of us has any real idea what Nwankwo might have or might not have provided. About a year ago some people were wetting themselves over Josh Martin. Basically, on some selected posted video and tweets by him. I realize the purpose of GH, but you guys who dispense your views as Gospel drive some of us up the wall. It's just frickin' opinions.

Just to clarify. Many fully understood what you said and disagreed with it.

He gave us an inside scoring threat, a real physical rebounding presence, and an offensive option that other teams might have to have to consider doubling

Wonk was going to have to be doubled? Hahaha, what did you have him slotted for 25mins and 10ppg?

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/625387 Not sure what thread this video belongs on, but I can understand how Diedhiou and Konate had trouble with getting admitted. I'm exited to see the potential of the young duo this season.

Excellent video. Nice to be updated on their progress and it looks they are going to be real good players. Hopefully the " hole" in the middle talk will now stop. I think you are talking about their command of English. Both seem to understand very well, just have strong accents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was recently at Lifetime Fitness and happened to watch a few pick up games of Jarvis Johnson and a bunch of overseas pros: PJ Hill (Ohio St), Cameron Rundles, Jamar Diggs (Wofford), David Hicks and Royce White just to name a few. Jarvis looked like the best player out there and everyone was competing pretty hard. I know it was just pick up ball but from the looks of it, he is way more talented than what he was able to display at Delasalle. I think he could be a starter.

Go Gophers!

Whaaa? The report on Nwankwo is that his defense is ahead of his offense and he was pretty raw as an offensive player.

I was recently at Lifetime Fitness and happened to watch a few pick up games of Jarvis Johnson and a bunch of overseas pros: PJ Hill (Ohio St), Cameron Rundles, Jamar Diggs (Wofford), David Hicks and Royce White just to name a few. Jarvis looked like the best player out there and everyone was competing pretty hard. I know it was just pick up ball but from the looks of it, he is way more talented than what he was able to display at Delasalle. I think he could be a starter.

Go Gophers!

Great post. I haven't seen a ton of Jarvis but watching him in the state tournament- I got the impression that he was simply playing the team game he was asked to play and that he could push the button and go up a gear or two any time he wanted to. His movement looks effortless and it looks to me like he sees the game in slow mo. I don't know that he starts but I think his game may be under rated.

With all the new guys coming in, it's impossible to predict how well they will adapt early on but based on projections, this is how I would roll:

C Konate/Diedhiou
PF Murphy/King/Buggs
SF Morris/Gilbert/Buggs
SG Mason/McBrayer
PG Dorsey/Johnson

I know King and Morris will start but they would be awesome to bring off the bench if Murphy and Gilbert show they can hold their own. It's going to be a fun year to watch them develop and we will definitely have our share of growing pains. I think a .500 conference record might not be realistic unless some of the new kids are even better than advertised. Go Gophers!!!

Reportedly all 7 recruits will be on campus this summer, so that's the first good sign for 2015-16. That means all the newbies are getting acclimated to the campus and their teammates, and equally important no last-minute eligibility issues holding up guys in August/September. Certainly appears that would have been the case if the staff had stayed committed to Nwankwo.

Short-handed and it still eats a scholarship?

Short-handed and it still eats a scholarship?

Well, it's not like we really have another option out there for a quick add. I'm not sure Lofton is a legitimate option despite several commenters here. this kinda sets in stone the idea of our starting lineup being Dorsey, Mason, Morris, King Konate. There is potential that Murphy starts the 3 and Morris the 2 and Mason the 1 but yeah 1 of those lineups now.

My guess at the roster (we are already looking ridiculously thin):

PG - Mason / Dorsey
SG - Morris / McBrayer
SF - Murphy / Gilbert
PF - King / Buggs
C - Konate / Diedhiou

Redshirts: Lynch, Fitzgerald
Other: Johnson

Edit: Really, really hate to say it, but Lofton might get his shot now. We could probably use him at SG/SF.

PG - Mason / Dorsey
SG - Morris / McBrayer
SF - Murphy / Gilbert
PF - King / Buggs
C - Konate / Diedhiou

Edit: Really, really hate to say it, but Lofton might get his shot now. We could probably use him at SG/SF.

As a walk on. there are no more scholarships for him this year if we take him. Plus 10 deep with flexibility from every player except Dorsey (1) and Konate(5) means we don't have to have anyone else if they cause trouble. We'll have to go small sometimes(we knew this) but now we'll likely have to go big at some point too. McBrayer is said to be able to play pg too if needed.

Even tho Zach can play the 1-3,I don't think he'll be a gopher next year,,,unless the coaches heard what he did in open gym.....and the JJ thing are enough to sway it the other way...but as of last week coach Ps mind was made up
But on a good note he said Fitzgerald is the truth...and Murphy was really good

PG - Mason / Dorsey
SG - Morris / McBrayer
SF - Murphy / Gilbert
PF - King / Buggs
C - Konate / Diedhiou

I expect Mason and Dorsey to both start, which means no back-up PG on the bench now. Foul trouble or injury to either of them leaves us in a horrible spot. Ugh.

I expect Mason and Dorsey to both start, which means no back-up PG on the bench now. Foul trouble or injury to either of them leaves us in a horrible spot. Ugh.

Dupree can play point. From the couple games I saw of him, he would start out at point guard then slide over to the 2 when the backup came in. Hopefully it doesn't have to come to that.

Not that McBrayer is a point guard, but hasn't it been said before that he is a pretty good ball handler? Might not be ready to play either though. Just throwing it out there

Dupree can play point. From the couple games I saw of him, he would start out at point guard then slide over to the 2 when the backup came in. Hopefully it doesn't have to come to that.

He's likely a better option that Blake Hoffarber or Mav, so there's that.

Top Bottom