Tony Poljan commits! Gophers land their 2016 QB!

Another Tony coming from Lansing to play quarterback for the Gophers. Very nice!!! Hope he gets to wear #9!

904656.jpeg

Weber was mid to lower tier compared to the rest of the Big Ten, regardless of how many OC's he had. He was what he was. Poljan likely ends up at another position, perhaps DE.

He's an architypical Kill recruit. He potentially can play other positions with his athleticism. Hard to tell how recruits will turn out until they start practicing with the team.

Right now, potentially on paper he can very well be another Ben Roethlisberger per Coach Kill. I am wishing and hoping this is true as well as for Demry Croth.

I am excited to see how these two turn out for the Gophers' offense. If these two turned out as advertised, watch out!

Total Yards. Yep, that tells the story. Every QB plays 4-years. Nice Try. Show TD passes too - but please ignore normalized stats like yds/attempt, TD/INT ratio, completion %, etc. I'm sure he is right up there with Drew Brees on those too [emoji3] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you saying you don't think he was a solid quarterback? I feel like he was above average and I'd love to have him right now. I'm not saying he's Drew Brees, but you seem to be claiming he was below average. Am I reading you wrong?

I realize I may be playing with fire here when those powerful stats are whipped out, however, I am just going to lean my argument on 8 conference wins in 4 years. Not a AW hater. Was at every one of his home games. He was an average (at best) Big Ten QB. Should have had a much better senior year but managed to find A.J. Barker only one time. Inexcusable!

BTW: 2010 Senior year-Passing Offense #8 in BT; Scoring Offense #10 in BT; Total Offense #10 in BT.

Enjoy Memorial Weekend!

Total Yards. Yep, that tells the story. Every QB plays 4-years. Nice Try. Show TD passes too - but please ignore normalized stats like yds/attempt, TD/INT ratio, completion %, etc. I'm sure he is right up there with Drew Brees on those too [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I'm saying is it's pretty foolish to call a guy who ranks 3rd ALL-TIME in conference history in passing yards and TDs a mid to lower tier quarterback. The guy didn't light the world on fire but he was far from a bad QB. The guy cashed NFL paychecks for God sake, obviously he was above average at the very worst.

Weber was the second most accurate passer the Gophers have had.

Weber was the second most accurate passer the Gophers have had.

Yep and 47th in B1G history as well as 50th in passing efficiency. The guy certainly had his flaws and wasn't otherworldly but to blame him for how bad those teams were is pretty asinine.

Anyway we're getting off topic, welcome to the Gopher family Tony!

I agree. Welcome Tony!

All I'm saying is, it must be the off-season.:drink:

Anyone know why God created football?

All I'm saying is, it must be the off-season.:drink:

Anyone know why God created football?

I'll bite. I should know better then to respond to somebody who is clinking beer steins but why? And your answer better not include something about men playing with balls!

P.S. go_gophers response wasn't bad but you should be able to do better station19.:rolleyes:

My bad! I actually maintain my own Excel depth chart and checked it before I wrote my comment to make sure I had it right. The chart was right but not my typing.:cry:

Not sure what to think about that lol

FWIW: more often than not, a QB is going to be one of the best athletes on a HS team. Some HS QB's will play QB in college - others will move to another position that takes the best advantage of their physical ability.

Bottom line - give me the best athletes you can recruit, and I'll find a place for them to play. Tracy Claeys was on with Sid today, and he said something to the effect that, their goal for recruiting is to bring in kids who are better athletes than the seniors who graduated. If you do that every year, your team keeps getting better.

For me, the next recruiting cycle is going to be very interesting. IF the Gophers can have a big year - 9 or 10 wins, and (#1 priority) WIN a bowl game, there is a potential to have a recruiting class that not only maintains, but accelerates the momentum that the program is gaining under Kill.

My bad! I actually maintain my own Excel depth chart and checked it before I wrote my comment to make sure I had it right. The chart was right but not my typing.:cry:

You need to always have a beer when conducting GH business. :cool02:

FWIW: more often than not, a QB is going to be one of the best athletes on a HS team. Some HS QB's will play QB in college - others will move to another position that takes the best advantage of their physical ability.

Bottom line - give me the best athletes you can recruit, and I'll find a place for them to play. Tracy Claeys was on with Sid today, and he said something to the effect that, their goal for recruiting is to bring in kids who are better athletes than the seniors who graduated. If you do that every year, your team keeps getting better.

For me, the next recruiting cycle is going to be very interesting. IF the Gophers can have a big year - 9 or 10 wins, and (#1 priority) WIN a bowl game, there is a potential to have a recruiting class that not only maintains, but accelerates the momentum that the program is gaining under Kill.

Kill has always maintained that schools, small time ones in particular, always play their best athlete at QB and another position. That is why they like offering QBs because they can coach them up when they have all the attributes of being a great athlete.

For the same reason, the coaching staff go to watch basketball, track and field, etc... when prospects are playing. They want to know all about the overall athletic abilities of the prospects. They seem to know how to recruit the right kids to their system. And this formula has worked for them.

If they can't get the upper tier athletes, they have to coach up players to become four star caliber players.

Number#1 priority is always beating Wisconsin.

Nope. Someone made a snarky comment that we shouldn't rip on AW8 because he was an NFL QB. For some reason I thought the fact he never actually took a snap in the NFL was relevant to that conversation. I knew the delusional Webber fans would come after me, but I was brave and posted it anyway - not sure a middle schooler would have been so brave.

Weber has a number of records for the Gophers and got paid as an NFL QB (game time or not) and it is OK to appreciate what he did during his time. I don't think many (or any) are acting like he was an All Pro or Hall of Famer in the NFL, but he did do well of us and I prefer to appreciate these guys than rip on them. And you can fell different and say so without being a a-hole about it.

Top Bottom