Lineup Next Year

I think Murphy's going to play a lot more at the 4 than many realize. King's the starter and our glue guy, as well as our best 3 point shooter, but we NEED rebounding. I'm not trying to sell Murphy as the next Dennis Rodman, but he looks better than anyone on the team right now other than Lynch who has to sit out.

PG- Dorsey
Combo- Mason/Jarvis
SG- McBrayer
SF- Morris/Buggs/McBrayer
PF- King/Murphy/Gaston
C- Konate/Kwanko/Gaston

Yeah I see Murphy as a 4 in our system who can also play some 3 if needed, not the other way around. I fully expect him to play most of his minutes at the 4 unless there are injuries. If he's good enough to start at any point next season that will be huge.

Don't have any names other than Mason, but I don't see any top 150 recruit sitting on the bench for a team that missed the NIT. I expect the best 5 defenders (there is plenty of O among them) to be on the floor and a lot of substitution. Going to drive the lane hard. Offensive options will abound off that. I think many of you are underestimating the impact of JJ. The bigs better be in shape. Run, run, run.

Someone has to protect the rim.

Don't you see this as a developing team, one where minutes are spread out widely and earned by good play? On paper, there are no seniors per se 'deserving' 30-37 mpg. Rather this is a team that should improve dramatically during the season, at least we hope that this good young talent thrives in the pressing, driving style that Richard wants to play. It will be intriguing to see how it plays out.

Don't you see this as a developing team, one where minutes are spread out widely and earned by good play? On paper, there are no seniors per se 'deserving' 30-37 mpg. Rather this is a team that should improve dramatically during the season, at least we hope that this good young talent thrives in the pressing, driving style that Richard wants to play. It will be intriguing to see how it plays out.

Progress next year will not be measured in wins/losses, but in player development and team building.

Next year's Lineup - - - in terms of minutes per game.

Usually at this time of year it is easy to project which player or players would average around 30 minutes per game for the following year. That does not seem to be the case this year. Looking at the roster could we see a team where the leader in minutes per game could average somewhere in the low 20's.

Next year's Lineup - - - in terms of minutes per game.

Usually at this time of year it is easy to project which player or players would average around 30 minutes per game for the following year. That does not seem to be the case this year. Looking at the roster could we see a team where the leader in minutes per game could average somewhere in the low 20's.

I'd be shocked if Nate didn't average at least 30mpg. I suspect Joey and Carlos will average in the high 20's per game. Bakary, by default, will probably play 20-25 mpg. After those four it gets alot harder to predict how many minutes these guys may play.

Even though much of our roster is unproven, I appreciate that we have numbers (for a change) that give us options. We'll have 2+ options at every position, which increases the likelihood of at least one of them being serviceable.

I'd be shocked if Nate didn't average at least 30mpg. I suspect Joey and Carlos will average in the high 20's per game. Bakary, by default, will probably play 20-25 mpg. After those four it gets alot harder to predict how many minutes these guys may play.

If Carlos averages in the high 20's it will be a long year in terms of both wins and player development.

Our best shot at the tourney is for Carlos to put on some weight and play smarter and within the system.

If Carlos can become a consistent offensive weapon and a go to scorer, we would have a shot at surprising some.

Im thinking..hoping... Buggs has a break out year and gets more minutes than expected.

Our best shot at the tourney is for Carlos to put on some weight and play smarter and within the system.

If Carlos can become a consistent offensive weapon and a go to scorer, we would have a shot at surprising some.

Carlos doesn't have Vincent Grier talent. He's not a standout player on an otherwise mediocre roster. For him to put on weight, play smarter, within the system and become a consistent team player would be a year to year transformation that I have not seen a player accomplish in decades of watching college hoops. No disrespect intended. I hope it happens but it's almost like planning to win the lottery.

Carlos doesn't have Vincent Grier talent. He's not a standout player on an otherwise mediocre roster. For him to put on weight, play smarter, within the system and become a consistent team player would be a year to year transformation that I have not seen a player accomplish in decades of watching college hoops. No disrespect intended. I hope it happens but it's almost like planning to win the lottery.

We disagree on how far off he is I would assume. Not to mention I'm not suggesting Grier type production. My wording of "go to scorer" was more in the tune of being able to create for himself in the half court if needed, not in the sense of being the major scoring component of a team.

Carlos would have had a great year had he just passed the ball on 2 fast breaks a game. That's not hard to do, it would be quite the psychological change for Carlos, but given a few more options on the break this year because of our increased athleticism and maybe he can get it done.

If he converts or passes on a few more of his hero mode half court moves he's up another level. I would think with added size and smarts at a normal rate would get him half way there. Add in some tlc from rich n the gang and we might have ourselves a very nice piece for the system.

Don't forget. His sophomore year at chipola he was much more passive than his year last year from a shooting attempts perspective. He has it in him.

Progress next year will not be measured in wins/losses, but in player development and team building.

If the players are developing and the team is building, I expect to see some wins. I won't hold him to the same standard I will in two years, but I expect to see us do better than last year.

I would also be shocked if Mason didn't play close to that much (unless he begins his second year in a funk like DeAndre). Joey is too good of a shooter and too experienced not to play a lot of minutes on a team like this, but I hope he plays less of power forward role. Carlos can be dangerous (in a good way) in short doses but frequently becomes dangerous (in a bad way) with extended minutes. A sixth man role might work well for him.

You don't recruit someone like Dorsey without starter expectations so I suspect the starting point role will be his to lose if he plays close to his billing before the season. Nwankwo is supposed to be raw offensively but a good rebounder who can be defensive force at this point of his career. If he can rebound and defend well that might be enough to challenge Bakary for a starting role.

The competition for minutes and watching who emerges should be the most compelling fan attractions for this team.

I know they both will probably start but I think King and Morris would be perfect players coming off the bench. I would roll this out as the ultimate living room coach:

C - Konate/Nwankwo/Diedhiou
PF - King/Murphy/Diedhiou
SF - Murphy/Morris/Buggs
SG - Mason/McBrayer/Johnson
PG - Dorsey/Johnson/Mason

I think it would be smart to have Murphy on the court with King to make up for Joeys rebounding weakness. I would RS Gilbert and also Nwankwo if we could get 15-20 minutes at C from Diedhiou but that isn't feasible from what I saw last season. I'm so freaking pumped to watch these young kids develop next season. It feels like we're the Kentucky of the north replacing half our roster after they went pro. :)

I know they both will probably start but I think King and Morris would be perfect players coming off the bench. I would roll this out as the ultimate living room coach: C - Konate/Nwankwo/Diedhiou PF - King/Murphy/Diedhiou SF - Murphy/Morris/Buggs SG - Mason/McBrayer/Johnson PG - Dorsey/Johnson/Mason I think it would be smart to have Murphy on the court with King to make up for Joeys rebounding weakness. I would RS Gilbert and also Nwankwo if we could get 15-20 minutes at C from Diedhiou but that isn't feasible from what I saw last season. I'm so freaking pumped to watch these young kids develop next season. It feels like we're the Kentucky of the north replacing half our roster after they went pro. :)

Umm. Only were replacing half the roster after a failed Run at NIT. But hey. Why mince words? ?

We disagree on how far off he is I would assume. Not to mention I'm not suggesting Grier type production. My wording of "go to scorer" was more in the tune of being able to create for himself in the half court if needed, not in the sense of being the major scoring component of a team.

Carlos would have had a great year had he just passed the ball on 2 fast breaks a game. That's not hard to do, it would be quite the psychological change for Carlos, but given a few more options on the break this year because of our increased athleticism and maybe he can get it done.

If he converts or passes on a few more of his hero mode half court moves he's up another level. I would think with added size and smarts at a normal rate would get him half way there. Add in some tlc from rich n the gang and we might have ourselves a very nice piece for the system.

Don't forget. His sophomore year at chipola he was much more passive than his year last year from a shooting attempts perspective. He has it in him.

I hope you are right.

Idle speculation reply only: Minutes projection for 2015-16 season prior to B1G. Rounded to nearest 5 minutes. Assuming new Havoc style defense.

PG
DORSEY 20
MASON 10
JOHNSON 10

SG
MASON 15
JOHNSON 10
MCBRAYER 10
LOFTON (walk on?) 5

SF
MORRIS 20
BUGGS 10
MCBRAYER 5
GILBERT 5

PF
KING 20
MURPHY 15
BUGGS 5

C
KONATE 20
NWANKWO 10 edit - released from NLI
GASTON 10

Totals by Player

Mason 25 (rounded up)
Dorsey 20
Morris 20
King 20
Konate 20
Johnson 20
Buggs 15
McBrayer 15
Murphy 15
Gaston 10
Nwankwo 10 edit - released from NLI
Gilbert 5
Lofton 5

Stephon Sharp (name edit) (walk on)
Mike Lukashewich (add edit) 2015 Walk on
Darin Haugh (add edit) 2015 walk on

other (possible) walk on (Nwankwo's buddy) ? (edit ???)

You can only gave two walk on players if you use all 13 schollys. There's the kid who joined last year mid season plus nwankwo buddy and the Hopkins kid. Guessing the kid last year will be cut and become a student manager if he wants. Point is with Murphy on board there's no room for Lofton.

You can only gave two walk on players if you use all 13 schollys. There's the kid who joined last year mid season plus nwankwo buddy and the Hopkins kid. Guessing the kid last year will be cut and become a student manager if he wants. Point is with Murphy on board there's no room for Lofton.

Interesting. I did not know that. I guess that might be it for the Lofton speculation then - unless something changes.

I think Murphy's going to play a lot more at the 4 than many realize. King's the starter and our glue guy, as well as our best 3 point shooter, but we NEED rebounding. I'm not trying to sell Murphy as the next Dennis Rodman, but he looks better than anyone on the team right now other than Lynch who has to sit out.

PG- Dorsey
Combo- Mason/Jarvis
SG- McBrayer
PF- King/Murphy/Gaston
C- Konate/Kwanko/Gaston[/QUO

I hope you are listing what position players are and not the starting lineups, because no way mason doesn't start over mcbrayer.

PG- Dorsey
Combo- Mason/Jarvis
SG- McBrayer
PF- King/Murphy/Gaston
C- Konate/Kwanko/Gaston[/QUO

I hope you are listing what position players are and not the starting lineups, because no way mason doesn't start over mcbrayer.

Pitino wants two ball handlers on the floor at all times and at least three capable ones so that he can constantly rotate and keep them fresh. Dorsey plays PG. Mason and Jarvis can play PG or SG. They can lead the team, or follow Dorsey's lead. McBrayer will play because he can both score and play defense, but he can't be the lead ball handler.

You could be correct, but

I don't think the limit is two...but I also don't know definitively. Last year we used 13 scholarships. 3 guys left the team but their scholarships remain in place for the year and are non transferable. We had Darin Haugh, Mike Lukashewich, and Kendal shell as walk ons. 15 guys can dress but more can be walkons, I believe.

Shell had a scholarship in spring 2014. Some places says he had a scholarship last year but I question that as we had 13 other guys on scholarship.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_can_play_on_one_ncaa_basketball_team

Not the most definitive source but...

I don't think the limit is two...but I also don't know definitively. Last year we used 13 scholarships. 3 guys left the team but their scholarships remain in place for the year and are non transferable. We had Darin Haugh, Mike Lukashewich, and Kendal shell as walk ons. 15 guys can dress but more can be walkons, I believe.

Shell had a scholarship in spring 2014. Some places says he had a scholarship last year but I question that as we had 13 other guys on scholarship.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_can_play_on_one_ncaa_basketball_team

Not the most definitive source but...

Darin Haugh bio says 'Sat out the season due to NCAA transfer rules'.

Perhaps you can dress 15 (only two walk-on's), while the other is more of a practice player walk-on? You can have as many practice players as you need, doesn't the women's team play against 5 men in practice?

Stephon Sharp, a Minneapolis native who played at Hopkins High School, will walk on along with the 2015 class, a source confirmed to the Star Tribune.

The 6-4 shooter spent last season at The Kent School in Connecticut before returning home. He joins Mike Lukashewich and Darin Haugh as the third non-scholarship player on the roster.

Top Bottom