STrib: Gophers playing RB Jones at slotback frequently to fill need

During the Barber / Maroney years, didn't the Gophers often have one guy as a single back and the other on the wing? And didn't a number of plays consist of the wing back motioning and either getting the ball on an end-around, or after the fake the ball was given to the running back up the middle? I seem to remember those plays happening quite a bit, with Barber and Maroney at either position, and to good effect. Someone help me with my memory.

During the Barber / Maroney years, didn't the Gophers often have one guy as a single back and the other on the wing? And didn't a number of plays consist of the wing back motioning and either getting the ball on an end-around, or after the fake the ball was given to the running back up the middle? I seem to remember those plays happening quite a bit, with Barber and Maroney at either position, and to good effect. Someone help me with my memory.
That sounds right. I recall Maroney as the featured back, taking that middle handoff more often than Barber even though both backs were very productive rushers. Might have been Barber as the wing when Maroney was in the game but I recall Maroney taking that sweep handoff a few times as well.

Jones in the slot.

I love it. He presents a unique problem for defenses. A quick screen is essentially a hand off, so do you put a bigger better tackler on him, or a cover guy? He has the potential to abuse either. They could motion him into the backfield and use Nugs as a FB, or to crown the Golden I. The staff is big on pre-snap movement to confuse, identify, isolate opponents weakness, and Jones might be our Queen (Chess, not calling him a woman). Not to mention the possible mis-direction fake bubble screens, jet sweeps, etc. He is a HUGE brick, and it's clear that the staff knows it. It should be fun to see how they use him.

he's more a knight (quick change of direction)

With the line in front of him and the system, Nugget could be a lot like Cobb. Pound away, take what you are given, and before you know it, he has 125 yards.

Problem is, Cobb was not a "take what you are given" type of guy. So many of his runs were something out of nothing.

Not saying nugget can't be that guy, but our online was far from dominant all the time.

The difference is Gordon was biding his time behind a Heisman trophy finalist and 2nd round pick. Rodrick is neither of those and is nothing special.
Kill has stated before that Rodrick has first team Big Ten talent, and when he has been on the field he has had impressive runs.

If the Gophers line JJ in the slot its a whole lot more than trying to run a bubble screen. They have featured the Jet sweep to open holes for Cobb. What will change is JJ is a real threat from the slot, and that must be honored on that action. Second JJ has quickness which allows him to escape at the line in the slot. The easiest throw is a slant or short post. Once he catches it, its only him and the safety. And all the other pass patterns are easier when you can get that quick release. Yards after catch will be his calling card. He could see a game or two of 100 yards receiving and 100 yards rushing.

Kill has stated before that Rodrick has first team Big Ten talent, and when he has been on the field he has had impressive runs.

Really? the problem is Mich st,Wisconsin,Ohio st will be marching out better offensive lines with more dynamic ball carriers behind them(Game Breakers). Thats who you got to beat to win the B1G. The 3 schools previously mentioned are always salty on defense,so where are you getting your advantage over them?

Well actually not always. There normally are not multiple game breakers in B1G backfields. Having them at Wisconsin and Indiana in the same year is unususal. Normally there are multiple good backs, but they are not big "take it to the house" threats any more than Cobb was.

Well actually not always. There normally are not multiple game breakers in B1G backfields. Having them at Wisconsin and Indiana in the same year is unususal. Normally there are multiple good backs, but they are not big "take it to the house" threats any more than Cobb was.

So Ezekiel Elliot and Corey Clement arent game breakers? ok gotcha Clement went for 90 yards and a TD on 7 carries vs Minnesota last yr.Hes very dynamic and the whole country seen what Zeke does

I think our offensive line can very well be in the same group as the other three mentioned above, at least for run blocking. Even Bleacher Report (and yes, I know it's just BR) ranked us with the #3 O-line ahead of Wisconsin for next year. And I'll give you Clement but Elliott(although he may be the best back in the country) isn't really a game breaker and MSU will probably start either sophomore with no experience or freshman in either Madre London or LJ Scott. Don't forget about Justin Jackson however, he might be better than Clement.

So Ezekiel Elliot and Corey Clement arent game breakers? ok gotcha

I know you love Wisconsin and all, but try and not put them in the same conversation as OSU (in fact, I think the Buckeyes just scored again). Clement has proven to be a good rb - nothing special yet.

I think our offensive line can very well be in the same group as the other three mentioned above, at least for run blocking. Even Bleacher Report (and yes, I know it's just BR) ranked us with the #3 O-line ahead of Wisconsin for next year. And I'll give you Clement but Elliott(although he may be the best back in the country) isn't really a game breaker and MSU will probably start either sophomore with no experience or freshman in either Madre London or LJ Scott. Don't forget about Justin Jackson however, he might be better than Clement.

Elliot not a game breaker? he looked like 1 against Alabama and Oregon too me but good post for you overall.

I know you love Wisconsin and all, but try and not put them in the same conversation as OSU (in fact, I think the Buckeyes just scored again). Clement has proven to be a good rb - nothing special yet.

Yea I love the Badgers so much I had a chance to play for them and didnt take it. I just give credit where credit is due regardless of team. its called being objective.

I actually don't think it's outlandish at all to say Clement is right up there with Elliott. If a 7.0 career YPC on 214 carries is nothing special then I don't know what is.

Elliot not a game breaker? he looked like 1 against Alabama and Oregon too me but good post for you overall.

He is more of a very athletic bruiser with a good burst but he is much more physical than dynamic. He is still 225 pounds. And like I said before, he may be the best back in the country, him or Chubb.

I actually don't think it's outlandish at all to say Clement is right up there with Elliott. If a 7.0 career YPC on 214 carries is nothing special then I don't know what is.

Also not to mention Cory was a big Ohio st recruit. he choose WI over Ohio st & Florida st

Wisconsin's starting 5 in the OL are very good, but they are thin on depth, a couple of early injuries and Clement will end up with a very average year.

Really? the problem is Mich st,Wisconsin,Ohio st will be marching out better offensive lines with more dynamic ball carriers behind them(Game Breakers). Thats who you got to beat to win the B1G. The 3 schools previously mentioned are always salty on defense,so where are you getting your advantage over them?
There are multiple positions where the Gophers are still behind those three teams that you have mentioned. I would argue that offensive and defensive backfield are two areas where they have less separation.

Most of his carries were in garbage time after Gordon softened them up. To my eye he is a notch lower than Gordon or Ezekiel. Then there was 59-0 which humbled Gordon and Clement.

I've said it before, but I could run for 6 yPC behind Wisconsin's line, and I'm not really kidding. They routinely blow the defense downfiels and open gaping holes. its ridiculous. While unlikely, if Wisconsin has a down year at offensive line we will see his real merit. There is a reason Wisconsin RBs generally do well in college and stink in the league.

Most of his carries were in garbage time after Gordon softened them up. To my eye he is a notch lower than Gordon or Ezekiel. Then there was 59-0 which humbled Gordon and Clement.

I've said it before, but I could run for 6 yPC behind Wisconsin's line, and I'm not really kidding. They routinely blow the defense downfiels and open gaping holes. its ridiculous. While unlikely, if Wisconsin has a down year at offensive line we will see his real merit. There is a reason Wisconsin RBs generally do well in college and stink in the league.

Was it "Garbage Time" when he shredded the gopher D for 12.5 YPC? Who cares if they stink in the league this is college football were discussing. Quit over hypnig there Offensive Line. The Badgers will have ZERO OL drafted this yr(Havenstein maybe very late) it was there worst OL in 10 years.

Was it "Garbage Time" when he shredded the gopher D for 12.5 YPC? Who cares if they stink in the league this is college football were discussing. Quit over hypnig there Offensive Line. The Badgers will have ZERO OL drafted this yr(Havenstein maybe very late) it was there worst OL in 10 years.

2.80 vs OSU. 2.90 vs LSU. I guess he has a tough time against better run defenses. Not surprising.

Despite not having a great run defense MN held Gordon to his lowest ypc in the Big Ten besides the 59-Donut game. It was a heroic effort and Clement took advantage of a gassed gopher defense. Fair enough.

You can spin it however you want to. Clements damage came in the 3rd quarter so if the Gophers were gassed, the S&C coach needs to be fired. My college coach always told me Exuses were for Losers but whatever helps you sleep bette at night is fine.

You can spin it however you want to. Clements damage came in the 3rd quarter so if the Gophers were gassed, the S&C coach needs to be fired. My college coach always told me Exuses were for Loser but whatever helps you sleep bette at night is fine.

He is right. There is no "Exuse" or do you mean use for you acting like an A Hole here all the time. And besides, my college foot ball coach can beat up your college coach.:rolleyes:

You can spin it however you want to. Clements damage came in the 3rd quarter so if the Gophers were gassed, the S&C coach needs to be fired. My college coach always told me Exuses were for Losers but whatever helps you sleep bette at night is fine.

You putting your name in as the replacement?

This is how I want to spin it:
STFU

I think you're wrong. Their OL and system is a huge reason for the success of their running game. They've had multiple RBs put up huge numbers in college and haven't done much of anything at the next level. But they've had plenty of OL have lots of success in the NFL. Gordon may end up being an exception.

I think you're wrong. Their OL and system is a huge reason for the success of their running game. They've had multiple RBs put up huge numbers in college and haven't done much of anything at the next level. But they've had plenty of OL have lots of success in the NFL. Gordon may end up being an exception.

Wisconsin traditionally has 1st rounf or early round picks on there OL. Joe Thomas(1st round),Kevin Zeitler(1st round),Travis Frederick(1st round),Cabe Carimi(1st round) (Peter Konz 2nd round)my point was there wasnt any of those type of guys on there OL this yr

These past two years their RBs have made the O-line look better than they are more often than the other way around IMO. As for Clement, I'm not really talking about what he can do in the box between the tackles but more on the second level. He is has excellent speed for a 210-215 pounder and can make you miss easily. I've actually thought he looked better than James White two years ago as a freshman and better than Langford at MSU. The jury is still out on Ball and White in the NFL too.

Top Bottom