All Things 2015 Gophers Spring Practice: Tweets, Links, Analysis, Video & More

Starters were actually Lynn-Williams-Celestin today. Based on the practices to this point. I'd expect Lynn-Poock-Celestin to be the starters versus TCU.

Interesting. I would actually love to see one of the young kids beat out Campbell. Still surprised they didn't move Lynn back to the middle. I find that encouraging for what they think of Williams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I would actually love to see one of the young kids beat out Campbell. Still surprised they didn't move Lynn back to the middle. I find that encouraging for what they think of Williams.

Don't see that happening. Claeys has been very complimentary of Campbell in every interview I've seen lately. On KFAN recently he said he expects him to play at Wilson's level last year and from a PiPress article said he along with Murray are as good of players "as there are in the Big Ten." Plus maybe the coaches feel he is more experienced and other younger guys need the reps more? Campbell already got banged up earlier this month and I think this was a full contact scrimmage. Last year when Celestin played against Mizzou and Iowa didn't they sub out Lynn for him and not Campbell?

Don't see that happening. Claeys has been very complimentary of Campbell in every interview I've seen lately. On KFAN recently he said he expects him to play at Wilson's level last year and from a PiPress article said he along with Murray are as good of players "as there are in the Big Ten."

Your probably right. I wasn't taking a shot at Campbell, dude has talent, it is just that he has some big lapses out there and I would like to see one of the young kids legitimately beat him out.

Your probably right. I wasn't taking a shot at Campbell, dude has talent, it is just that he has some big lapses out there and I would like to see one of the young kids legitimately beat him out.

If he does, that would be great, because that would mean that they are playing at a very, very high level. I see Campbell's skill set matching up better against TCU than most our LB's, due to his length and speed.

Don't see that happening. Claeys has been very complimentary of Campbell in every interview I've seen lately. On KFAN recently he said he expects him to play at Wilson's level last year and from a PiPress article said he along with Murray are as good of players "as there are in the Big Ten." Plus maybe the coaches feel he is more experienced and other younger guys need the reps more? Campbell already got banged up earlier this month and I think this was a full contact scrimmage. Last year when Celestin played against Mizzou and Iowa didn't they sub out Lynn for him and not Campbell?

Not trying to knock Campbell, I actually think he has NFL upside and the Gophers are under-utilizing him. That said, Celestin has made a note worthy play each practice this Spring and he got the "start" with the 1's today. It's not off base to suggest Celestin is making up ground and could overtake Campbell. Versus Iowa, Celestin replaced Everett Williams who was starting in place of Wilson. Versus Mizzou he actually replaced Damian and was making the calls on defense. Just my opinion, but if Celestin continues to play at the level he has up to this point, he will be a starter next season.

Williams will play a lot against run first teams. One of the issues with fast linebackers is sometimes they run themselves out of position, Wilson did that on occasion.

For those at today's scrimmage....

I'm curious what the LB depth chart looked like?

We've got a ton of depth, which is great. Right now some guys are ahead on the depth chart that I would bet don't start against TCU. KillCo has a pattern. Every Spring and Fall, they create competition and talk about how they just don't what to do because it's such a tight race. Then they start the older/more experienced player. Two years ago it was Wilson vs Lynn at MLB. Anyone who'd been paying attention knew the staff wanted Wilson to win that job, and he did. Then it was Celestin vs Campbell last Fall. When it came game time, it was Campbell. If I were putting up betting lines on which combo would start against TCU, Lynn-Poock-Campbell would be the favorite. No way does Campbell sit his Senior year, after two years as the starter. Not at the LB position, but a similar dynamic exists at RB, where I've also thought all along Nugget would get the starting nod in the end over Freshmen.

We've got a ton of depth, which is great. Right now some guys are ahead on the depth chart that I would bet don't start against TCU. KillCo has a pattern. Every Spring and Fall, they create competition and talk about how they just don't what to do because it's such a tight race. Then they start the older/more experienced player. Two years ago it was Wilson vs Lynn at MLB. Anyone who'd been paying attention knew the staff wanted Wilson to win that job, and he did. Then it was Celestin vs Campbell last Fall. When it came game time, it was Campbell. If I were putting up betting lines on which combo would start against TCU, Lynn-Poock-Campbell would be the favorite. No way does Campbell sit his Senior year, after two years as the starter. Not at the LB position, but a similar dynamic exists at RB, where I've also thought all along Nugget would get the starting nod in the end over Freshmen.

Thanks for posting. I've had a hard time finding reports. I think I've read the Weber article like three times.

Out of curiosity, did you see them work on much no huddle stuff? What did it look like?

I'm really curious to see how our offense will look in the opener. I know there won't be a huge change, but still excited.

What day/time last week did they decide to change the time/location of the saturday practice? Where do I look to confirm the practice is scheduled? I plan on attending this saturday and want to make sure i am on time. Thanks

There is a pattern in that they have no issue playing a young guy over an older guy like with our DL last year and on the OL. However I can't recall them once playing a younger guy over an older player that actually played. Basically they haven't really benched anyone in favor of a younger player to this point

There is a pattern in that they have no issue playing a young guy over an older guy like with our DL last year and on the OL. However I can't recall them once playing a younger guy over an older player that actually played. Basically they haven't really benched anyone in favor of a younger player to this point

Thanks for that. It was the point I was trying to make, but didn't.

I also think it's interesting how the staff preaches competition at every position, but then seems to nurse certain players along like Leidner last year. We heard over and over that competition makes players better, then last year it was "Mitch is going to play so much better with the confidence of knowing he'll be the starter this year". I read something to that effect about Campbell a couple weeks ago and it raised an eyebrow for me as well. Not suggesting the staff are hypocrites, I just enjoy the human psychology of some players needing a pat on the back and to have their confidence built up, while others need a call-out and the threat of losing their job to an underclassman.

Our QB's look bigger in the chest and shoulders on that video - I foresee some DBs getting punished this year with Williams in the backfield as well.

Thanks for that. It was the point I was trying to make, but didn't.

I also think it's interesting how the staff preaches competition at every position, but then seems to nurse certain players along like Leidner last year. We heard over and over that competition makes players better, then last year it was "Mitch is going to play so much better with the confidence of knowing he'll be the starter this year". I read something to that effect about Campbell a couple weeks ago and it raised an eyebrow for me as well. Not suggesting the staff are hypocrites, I just enjoy the human psychology of some players needing a pat on the back and to have their confidence built up, while others need a call-out and the threat of losing their job to an underclassman.

When Kill first got here he said that he didn't treat everybody the same because people were different. He went on to say that you need to tailor your approach as to what will work best with that individual. When it comes to certain rules and expectations though there seems to be very little or no "tailoring".

I also think you captured above how Kill and his staff communicate and what it appears that they then actually do.

As my old boss used to say - everyone needs to be treated fairly, not equally.

I really enjoyed yesterday's practice outdoors! I am not 100% sure but I believe Philip Howard was standing next to me for last half of the practice. The most interesting part of the first part of the practice standing tight next to Prisig and the punting. Prisig has always been but he seemed particularly big yesterday. As far as punting, Santoso had some was REALLY high booming punts. Mortell also was also punting well, maybe not as high as Santoso but more consistent and accurate. The 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 scrimmage definitely was a step up from the scrimmage I saw before spring break. A lot of good plays on both sides of the ball. There were several interceptions including ones by Boddy-Calhoun, Poock, and Julian? Huff. There were also was a lot of great catches by several players on the offensive side. Gentry particularly stood out. Some individual nice catches that I remember were made by Jeff Jones, and Brian Smith but many others could easily been included in this list.

Killjoy was the practice outside at the football complex or at TCF? I'm coming thursday and Saturday. If its nice out do I just plan on them being outside? Or when/where does that get announced?

I sure hope Santoso is practicing place kicking, not punting.

I really enjoyed yesterday's practice outdoors! I am not 100% sure but I believe Philip Howard was standing next to me for last half of the practice. The most interesting part of the first part of the practice standing tight next to Prisig and the punting. Prisig has always been but he seemed particularly big yesterday. As far as punting, Santoso had some was REALLY high booming punts. Mortell also was also punting well, maybe not as high as Santoso but more consistent and accurate. The 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 scrimmage definitely was a step up from the scrimmage I saw before spring break. A lot of good plays on both sides of the ball. There were several interceptions including ones by Boddy-Calhoun, Poock, and Julian? Huff. There were also was a lot of great catches by several players on the offensive side. Gentry particularly stood out. Some individual nice catches that I remember were made by Jeff Jones, and Brian Smith but many others could easily been included in this list.

I sure hope Santoso is practicing place kicking, not punting.
The coaches need to be ready for anything including Mortell getting hurt. Spring is the time to experiment and see what the options are rather than having to throw someone in in a panic.

My observations:

- Mitch looked fine on short routes, middle and deep wasn't great.

- Streveler is a thoroughbred. Runs so fast and strong, with excellent size. His throwing motion is cleaner and more compact. Each year since HS it seems to get better.

- Rodrick is the front runner at RB.

- Berkley had a couple nice runs. Not long ones, but just nice work and important for him.

- Jeff Jones was all over the field again and caught a couple passes.

- Wolitarsky and Maye are locks to start. Eric Carter is the next best receiver but he's stuck behind Maye.

- The staff clearly wants Gentry to get involved as they throw to him a lot. He's not necessarily better than the other Freshmen receivers, he just brings a skill set that no one else brings to the team.

- Holland runs great routes, is very physical, but drops some easy ones. He's usually catching underneath in traffic so it's not a horrible situation, but he needs to focus on making those catches.

- Duke and Plsek are locks as the starting TE's.

- Same OL with Lauer-Bjorklund-Bobek-Campion-Pirsig. Second unit is Chad Fahning (Alex Mayes has been battling injuries of one sort or the other for a while)-Isaac Hayes-Connor Mayes-Tyler Moore-Foster Bush.

- Same DL with Cochran-Richardson-Stelter-Hank Ekpe and then Keith-Moore-Ndondo Lay-Elmore.

- There was a drill where the DL came out of their stance low and explode up into a one man blocking sled, then release and go. Each guy in line did fine, then Richardson almost knocked the sled over bakwards, lol. Next time up he did it again. Launched the thing high into the air until it teetered for a second and came back down. The guy is just a force.

- Same secondary BBC-Antonio Johnson-Travis-Murray. Then Myrick-Rogers-McGhee-James.

- Lot's of interceptions. BBC basically has one every practice. Poock had a nice one in zone coverage. Nice read. I think one of the Huff's had one but I didn't see it.

- Linebackers, more of the same too. Lynn-Everett Williams-Campbell then De'Niro Laster-Poock-Celestin. Lynn is funny, has a calm demeanor about him and seems to be the leader of the linebackers.

- Santoso was CRUSHING punts. His looked better than Mortell's yesterday. No reason Bigfoot can't be our punter when Mortell graduates, imo.

Killjoy/CRG - thanks for the info. Great posts.

I hope at least one of the Freshmen WR step up and separate themselves by Fall as I worry about a team with Woli as our best option on the outside. I feel like I've seen that before.

How do Gibson and Gant look? I'll get to see for myself Saturday, but am curious about other's thoughts. Haven't heard much about either.

Killjoy was the practice outside at the football complex or at TCF? I'm coming thursday and Saturday. If its nice out do I just plan on them being outside? Or when/where does that get announced?

It was at the complex and I think I can safely say that it will be at the complex on Thursday. If it is inside or outside will depend on the weather. As far as Saturday's practice I am not aware of ant proposed change to TCF. If that were to happen I would suspect it would be posted here by Friday.

I hope at least one of the Freshmen WR step up and separate themselves by Fall as I worry about a team with Woli as our best option on the outside. I feel like I've seen that before.

How do Gibson and Gant look? I'll get to see for myself Saturday, but am curious about other's thoughts. Haven't heard much about either.

I believe I've heard Gant has an injury.

Thanks - I do recall Gibson making a couple of nice catches. He looked like a WR to me but because I didn't recognize his number (#3) I looked it up. As I expect you probably know, he is listed as a TE. As far as Gant, I was looking for him but I don't recall seeing him. You shouldn't assume anything from that though.

The coaches need to be ready for anything including Mortell getting hurt. Spring is the time to experiment and see what the options are rather than having to throw someone in in a panic.

Exactly. Also Santoso was a VERY GOOD punter in high school. Besides, I think they are still waiting for a couple of those punts to come down. On a serious note, Mortell is definitely the more skilled punter of the two and unless there are unforeseen circumstances Mortell is our punter for 2015. In 2016 though who will the punter will be wide open with Mortell's eligibility over after this fall.

My observations:

- Mitch looked fine on short routes, middle and deep wasn't great.

- Streveler is a thoroughbred. Runs so fast and strong, with excellent size. His throwing motion is cleaner and more compact. Each year since HS it seems to get better.

- Rodrick is the front runner at RB.

- Berkley had a couple nice runs. Not long ones, but just nice work and important for him.

- Jeff Jones was all over the field again and caught a couple passes.

- Wolitarsky and Maye are locks to start. Eric Carter is the next best receiver but he's stuck behind Maye.

- The staff clearly wants Gentry to get involved as they throw to him a lot. He's not necessarily better than the other Freshmen receivers, he just brings a skill set that no one else brings to the team.

- Holland runs great routes, is very physical, but drops some easy ones. He's usually catching underneath in traffic so it's not a horrible situation, but he needs to focus on making those catches.

- Duke and Plsek are locks as the starting TE's.

- Same OL with Lauer-Bjorklund-Bobek-Campion-Pirsig. Second unit is Chad Fahning (Alex Mayes has been battling injuries of one sort or the other for a while)-Isaac Hayes-Connor Mayes-Tyler Moore-Foster Bush.

- Same DL with Cochran-Richardson-Stelter-Hank Ekpe and then Keith-Moore-Ndondo Lay-Elmore.

- There was a drill where the DL came out of their stance low and explode up into a one man blocking sled, then release and go. Each guy in line did fine, then Richardson almost knocked the sled over bakwards, lol. Next time up he did it again. Launched the thing high into the air until it teetered for a second and came back down. The guy is just a force.

- Same secondary BBC-Antonio Johnson-Travis-Murray. Then Myrick-Rogers-McGhee-James.

- Lot's of interceptions. BBC basically has one every practice. Poock had a nice one in zone coverage. Nice read. I think one of the Huff's had one but I didn't see it.

- Linebackers, more of the same too. Lynn-Everett Williams-Campbell then De'Niro Laster-Poock-Celestin. Lynn is funny, has a calm demeanor about him and seems to be the leader of the linebackers.

- Santoso was CRUSHING punts. His looked better than Mortell's yesterday. No reason Bigfoot can't be our punter when Mortell graduates, imo.

Amazing report again. As someone said, you are the "DL of the outside"

You have unseated Dr. Don as my favorite poster

Top Bottom