All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

This same dude Tweeted something about Pitino/Alabama earlier this year. As far as I can tell he's just a fan and shouldn't be taken any more seriously than that guy in Arizona who Tweeted that Shaka had agreed to a deal with Minnesota a couple years ago. Actually, the Shaka guy actually had some basketball credentials, but a similar situation.

Money aside, it's not a better job, and leaving after two years without doing much will make him look like a tool. But anything's possible.

Plus, I'm not sure how big of a downgrade it would be if he went and Teague re-united with Grant.

Think it may not just be a Bama thing. ;)

Considering he just went 6-12 in the B1G, is it realistic that a power 6 school would even want him solely on an NIT title a year ago? Especially if some new hot coaches come up in the NCAA tourney.

Considering he just went 6-12 in the B1G, is it realistic that a power 6 school would even want him solely on an NIT title a year ago? Especially if some new hot coaches come up in the NCAA tourney.

What you need to understand is that you're responding to a jack-hole who wants to pretend he has some inside info, but of course he does not.

Yes it's realistic. It's gotten tougher to get coaches to move and most everyone (outside of the Elite 5-6 jobs in the country) has had to go further down their wish list than they expected in recent years. If Pitino were to leave for another job, it would not be a good sign for the state of the roster. In my opinion if he leaves, it's because he doesn't think his personal "brand" will be very appealing in the near future. He might be able to hit the reset button this off season and try again at a slight step down high major, but next year after a (hypothetical) 3rd losing conference season he won't have that shot.

Yes it's realistic. It's gotten tougher to get coaches to move and most everyone (outside of the Elite 5-6 jobs in the country) has had to go further down their wish list than they expected in recent years. If Pitino were to leave for another job, it would not be a good sign for the state of the roster. In my opinion if he leaves, it's because he doesn't think his personal "brand" will be very appealing in the near future. He might be able to hit the reset button this off season and try again at a slight step down high major, but next year after a (hypothetical) 3rd losing conference season he won't have that shot.

Good point. Jeff Bdzelik did something like that by going to Wake Forest after a couple of mediocre years at Colorado. He washed out at Wake Forest too.

We didn't want Bdzelik to go…he totally changed Colorado from the dump it was in for years….gave us a great start on rebuilding…then Boyle came in and finished it. But he sure did flame out at Wake Forest. That surprised all of us. Pitino didn't take over a dump nor has he improved it yet...

Is there some major market for coaches who just went 33% in conference who have taken their team a step backwards in each of the only two years at their current job that I am unaware of?

I don't know whether you're speaking in generalities, but if you're speaking specifically about Alabama, it's not a step down.

Most of these unsourced "expressions of interest," if they're not completely made up, are simply savvy agents trying to raise the profile of their clients. Even when there's no chance of somebody leaving or getting hired, certainly doesn't hurt your client to have his name come up in open jobs at other power-5 schools. Maybe earns him a raise at his current school, but at the very least keeps his name out there.

On the 2% chance (cough-cough) he does leave, is it too late to get Tony Bennett? :cool:

If Pitino leaves us for Alabama then we didn't really want him anyways. Plenty of good coaches that don't want to jump around from school to school. And I'm not even being a homer when I say that. If he leaves us for a crappy program like Alabama then he would have left us for anyone.

Reading through a Doogie tweet conversation and he said he's been hearing rumblings that Pitino's been looking around for a couple months.

Say what you want about Doogie, but the guy is connected. He can do some stuff to get under some's skin, but he IS connected.

I find this extremely disturbing. What a little snake, but I guess we should have expected this. Teague needs to put his stupid east coast villa 7 love fest bullsh!t to the side when he's making this next hire (whether that's in a month, or a year or two).

Reading through a Doogie tweet conversation and he said he's been hearing rumblings that Pitino's been looking around for a couple months.

Say what you want about Doogie, but the guy is connected. He can do some stuff to get under some's skin, but he IS connected.

I find this extremely disturbing. What a little snake, but I guess we should have expected this. Teague needs to put his stupid east coast villa 7 love fest bullsh!t to the side when he's making this next hire (whether that's in a month, or a year or two).

Not doubting you however it's awfully convienet for this information to come out after some guy links him to Alabama.

Reading through a Doogie tweet conversation and he said he's been hearing rumblings that Pitino's been looking around for a couple months. Say what you want about Doogie, but the guy is connected. He can do some stuff to get under some's skin, but he IS connected. I find this extremely disturbing. What a little snake, but I guess we should have expected this. Teague needs to put his stupid east coast villa 7 love fest bullsh!t to the side when he's making this next hire (whether that's in a month, or a year or two).
Not the brightest bulb, are you, sonny?

You act as if this has all been proven. I think that's stupid.

Good?

Ah, you're one of those guys that thinks Pitino is not full of sh!t when he's fawning over everything MN. I may not be the "brightest bulb" as you put it, but at least I'm not naive.

I love the Gophs, but I don't see everything rosy all the time; I need to remember this doesn't sit well with the majority of gopher holers who are typically insecure and butt hurt over anything perceived as negative about the Gophs.

Go get some more curls in....

Little Pitino is like the older dude in dinkytown that frequents the bermuda triangle (library, blarneys, burrito loco) that the girls know they shouldnt buy his bulls**t, but they do 2-for-1 after 2-for-1 because he sounds so convincing.

He knows how to say what people want to hear, but best believe he will bolt for 'greener' pastures if it comes up. Sorry, I loved what he did as a COACH last year granted it was the NIT, but he has had that slimy vibe to him from day 1. I'm as big a gopher fan as any, but sometimes you have to see thru the smoke and take someone at face value.

Ah, you're one of those guys that thinks Pitino is not full of sh!t when he's fawning over everything MN. I may not be the "brightest bulb" as you put it, but at least I'm not naive.

I love the Gophs, but I don't see everything rosy all the time; I need to remember this doesn't sit well with the majority of gopher holers who are typically insecure and butt hurt over anything perceived as negative about the Gophs.

Go get some more curls in....

You have as much of a basis for saying he's full of sh*t as everyone else does for believing him... Stop pretending you know more than the rest of us, because hate to break it to you, but you don't

Alabama is not after Richard Pitino. first choice is Archie Miller but they will wait until final 4 before they make a hire. Richard is not in high demand . He has a job that needs a great deal of attention.

Alabama is not after Richard Pitino. first choice is Archie Miller but they will wait until final 4 before they make a hire. Richard is not in high demand . He has a job that needs a great deal of attention.

Hmm. Don't know how credible that information is, but it's interesting nonetheless. Miller is certainly far more proven than Richard is, and I agree, young Pitino has got a lot of work to do here.

Based on some Twitter conversation Doogie had you believe Pitino is a snake, should've been expected and Villa 7 has an East Coast bias? Sounds like you had an issue with the hire from the start.

For sake of argument let's say Doggie's info is true. Rather have Pitino leave now instead of 2 years from now.

Little Pitino is like the older dude in dinkytown that frequents the bermuda triangle (library, blarneys, burrito loco) that the girls know they shouldnt buy his bulls**t, but they do 2-for-1 after 2-for-1 because he sounds so convincing.

He knows how to say what people want to hear, but best believe he will bolt for 'greener' pastures if it comes up. Sorry, I loved what he did as a COACH last year granted it was the NIT, but he has had that slimy vibe to him from day 1. I'm as big a gopher fan as any, but sometimes you have to see thru the smoke and take someone at face value.

Interesting comment.

Based on some Twitter conversation Doogie had you believe Pitino is a snake, should've been expected and Villa 7 has an East Coast bias? Sounds like you had an issue with the hire from the start.

For sake of argument let's say Doggie's info is true. Rather have Pitino leave now instead of 2 years from now.
Please explain which part of his pots suggests that.

Please explain which part of his pots suggests that.

Not sure what part you don't understand?

None of this thread makes any sense to me. I do believe that agents will put their coach's name out there to up the ante and get their guy a raise or an extension. I don't believe that Pitino would bolt at this moment, if he believes in himself at all. Why would you take a job, play with the other guys players who don't fit your system real well, then work your fanny off to get a solid recruiting class for the future, only to bolt for another rebuilding job before your first full recruiting class arrives?

Lets just get this out of the way you hate Pitino and it really doesn't mater how he acts or what he does you are gonna hate him no matter what. Hahaha the same Doogie who in the afternoon on Thursday said Carter Coughlin wasn't ready to make a decision yet only a few hours later Carter committed? I don't put a lot of value into what that Iowa St. lover Doogie says anymore.

Richard Pitino is not slimy. He might still turn out to be a job hopper, but that itself would not make him slimy. If he were slimy, he would have found a way to reel in one of those 5-star athletes they were romancing, by hook or by crook.

This Pitino hire was an excellent hire - fairly speculative considering his inexperience, but not high risk either. It was an opportunity for both parties. He still shows a great deal of promise.

Top Bottom