2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

In case no one noticed, with Zahui B's being named Natl Player of the Week, she became the ONLY player in the nation to be named such more than once this season, so far.

And as a team, the only teams that have had any of it's players named Natl Player of the Week more than once are Minnesota and #1 ranked UConn. UConn has had 2 different players each named Natl Player of the Week once.

Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Big time game tonight at Nebraska.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Gophers have the upper hand going into tonight's game.

Disappointed in the Lady Gophers tonight.The players were not ready to play. The revelation of the Coach keeping track of hand claps on the bench and the pre-game gimmick of each player punching their own NCAA ticket was disappointing and embarrassing. Just coach the damn game.

Disappointed in the Lady Gophers tonight.The players were not ready to play. The revelation of the Coach keeping track of hand claps on the bench and the pre-game gimmick of each player punching their own NCAA ticket was disappointing and embarrassing. Just coach the damn game.

Big deal. Got a feeling a whole lot of coaches use gimmicks we don't know about. Had to shake my head at how confident some people were thinking the game was ours.. I was hoping but we hit a perfect storm: a team with talent looking for revenge; Yori is a hell of a good coach; hostile crowd on the road; as tough as they've been at home, the Gophers haven't exactly been road warriors lately; we can't hit from the outside and they swarmed Zahui. More upset with we didn't seem to have an answer and it seemed like Zahui especially was rattled and sort of gave up. Also, they just won their 22nd game which Stollings kept saying would get them in. Really hard not to sit back and relax coming into this game.

Hell of it is, Iowa is next. Could very well face the same situation because they are going to use the same plan. We're going to have an earlier start in the BIG tournament. Really hope it's not win the first game only to have to face Maryland.

Gophers women know scenarios for top 4 seed

Marlene Stollings has figured out all the possible scenarios. With her team still in the hunt for a top-four seed in next week’s Big Ten women’s basketball tournament — and the double bye that goes with it — the coach has studied how the final standings could shake out and where the Gophers stand in a complex matrix of tiebreakers.

She’s written all of that up in a document she will carry with her to Iowa City, where the Gophers finish the regular season Sunday against 17th-ranked Iowa. But the only matchup Stollings wants her players to think about is the one that awaits at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The young Gophers still are learning how to handle high-stakes situations, even as they approach a program milestone, and they cannot allow their focus to drift in the most meaningful game of the season thus far.

The Gophers must win Sunday to have a shot at a top-four seed and to tie the program record of 23 regular-season victories. Stollings said Friday that the Gophers will be the No. 4, 5 or 6 seed in the tournament, depending upon the outcome of their game and the results of Sunday games involving Rutgers, Northwestern and Ohio State. The Gophers currently are tied with Rutgers for fifth place in the conference standings.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/294525931.html

Good read, and please monitors this thread should NEVER be pushed to the second page. It should be thumb tagged on the front. It's not 1940.

Game Preview: Minnesota at Iowa

MINNEAPOLIS - The University of Minnesota (22-7, 11-6) women's basketball team closes out regular-season action when it travels to No. 17/16 Iowa (22-6, 13-4) Sunday afternoon for a 2 p.m. contest on BTN. Eric Collins and Shelley Till will be on the call for the live broadcast, while fans can also listen to the game live on KBEM Jazz 88.5 FM. Live updates can be found on the Gophers' official Twitter page - @GophersWBB.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/022815aaa.html

Peace

10832702.jpeg

Gophers were down 15-2 early, now 15-11. Gophers must focus on defense and rebounding though. The offense is figuring itself out.

Gophers were down 15-2 early, now 15-11. Gophers must focus on defense and rebounding though. The offense is figuring itself out.

They've played over 8 minutes and the big girl has just finally got a follow up basket, her first shot of the game. She should get a look every time down the floor.

This is like watching a bad AAU game without the athleticism. Zero defense.

They are the worst defensive team that I've ever seen at this level of play. They don't even try most of the time.

No defense, continually jacking up low percentage 3 point shots, and turnovers (15 the last time I looked)

Our guards suck today. The refs are terrible too. This would be a blowout without Kelley and Zahui.

And how many threes can you let Dixon make on you before your pride takes over? 8...9...10??

92 points just doesn't cut it. Dr.Don could've made threes today against the Gopher defense. Stollings
better figure something out real quick before the BTT or the ladies will be one and done. Guard play was nonexistent today.

Good games from Zahui (22 pts, 21 reb, 7 blk) and Kelley (29 pts, 12 reb), but nothing else. Gophers lose 92-76. Good news is that the Gophers will be a 6 seed in the BTT and have a nice draw. They should be expected to win a game or two in the BTT this week.

Ugly game from start to finish today didn't think anyone played real well. Careless turnovers continue to be a huge problem and the same people continue to make them because they get to stay on the floor when they make horrible mistakes as there is no depth on this team. The zone was awful again because there isn't much activity. It is just a lazy zone where you sit back and hope other teams miss shots and decent teams can pick that apart easily. The team looks like they need to just reset and get refocused right now.

92 points just doesn't cut it. Dr.Don could've made threes today against the Gopher defense. Stollings
better figure something out real quick before the BTT or the ladies will be one and done. Guard play was nonexistent today.

What do you think is going to change? They've played that style on defense the entire year. And that is all on the coaching staff.

We need to realize that Iowa is a damn good team and we beat them at the Barn awhile back.

Some posters just point out our weaknesses, but don't recognize an opponent's strengths.

:blah::blah::blah:

We need to realize that Iowa is a damn good team and we beat them at the Barn awhile back.

Some posters just point out our weaknesses, but don't recognize an opponent's strengths.

:blah::blah::blah:

Also I think the extended minutes, because of lack of depth, are starting to take their toll.

As far as this part of the thread........I'm glad I wasn't on the computer during the game.

A couple more words of wisdom. I can not believe how inept the announcers have gotten. In a sequence of 4 possessions(with whistled dead ball change of possession:
1 clarification of change of possession, but no explanation of the violation was or on whom.
1 where they announced what and on whom
2 where they just kept telling/reading their script, with no mention of violation or change of poss.
Many more where the same things happened.

Do your effing job. There is a game in front of you and you are supposed to be feeding us info. I don't give a rat's ass about so and so grew up with four brothers and that's why she fights so hard for the ball. It may be the reason I've lost my marbles.:banghead:

What do you think is going to change? They've played that style on defense the entire year. And that is all on the coaching staff.

Do you want them to play hard nosed full court man to man with a rotation of effectively 7 (and the 2 bench players are an extremely noticeable drop off from the starters)?

What this staff (and obviously, goes without saying, the players) has done especially post-Banham is nothing short of amazing. They have some work to do on defense next year. This season, they're trying to outscore and outrebound teams. I don't know how we finished, but at one point we were down a couple points in the 2nd half and were like 2-11 from three point range. Tough for a team to win away games vs a top 20 team when they shoot like that.

Anyways, we're looking at either Wisconsin/Purdue on Thursday night at 8:30 CT on BTN. If the Gophers win, they would go on to play Ohio State on Friday (same time same channel). The draw sets up nicely in our favor.

Do you want them to play hard nosed full court man to man with a rotation of effectively 7 (and the 2 bench players are an extremely noticeable drop off from the starters)?

What this staff (and obviously, goes without saying, the players) has done especially post-Banham is nothing short of amazing. They have some work to do on defense next year. This season, they're trying to outscore and outrebound teams. I don't know how we finished, but at one point we were down a couple points in the 2nd half and were like 2-11 from three point range. Tough for a team to win away games vs a top 20 team when they shoot like that.

No - but you move your feet on defense. You don't stand around and let the offense do anything that they want to do. On offense, you have the best post player in the conference. If you're going to run up and down the floor and not include her in the offense, you're wasting her talents and going to wear her out and have her on the bench where you have no replacement for her. They need to walk it up the floor, unless they get a run out and an easy lay up, limit their turnovers, and get the ball inside either off the wing or the high post.

No - but you move your feet on defense. You don't stand around and let the offense do anything that they want to do. On offense, you have the best post player in the conference. If you're going to run up and down the floor and not include her in the offense, you're wasting her talents and going to wear her out and have her on the bench where you have no replacement for her. They need to walk it up the floor, unless they get a run out and an easy lay up, limit their turnovers, and get the ball inside either off the wing or the high post.

Do you do anything but come onto this thread and bitch and act like you know more about the game than these coaches do? That's basically what you do here. Ignore all the good stuff accomplished this year and rip away. New coach, best player goes down, weak guards, little bench strength, but you're giving us gems like "move your feet' and "need to walk it up." Sure Bluder couldn't get a defense set up to surround AZB even more if we slowed it down. Guessing your 8th grade traveling team is awesome with Gino the Second at the helm.

Top Bottom