This hurts

hungan1

Reaction score
Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch!

This is how many B1G games the Gophers lost by 5 points or less to date.

They could sure use the squirrel.

That is what is so incredible about this season.

Yesterday the bounces went our way. That happens in the previous 6 games we are sitting at 10-1. I hate to play what if like that, because every team can do the same thing usually, but to be 4-7 when you were a few sloppy plays, bad breaks, and moments of horrendousness away from 10-1 is, well, it hurts.

But. Now we just need to keep winning and close the season strong. Let's have collapsed at the beginning and peak at the end!

At 4-7 in conference, they've actually outscored their opponents by 6. They were a +2 at 3-7. That's tough to do. Pretty awful combination of bad luck and choking down the stretch.

Gophers games for the most part haven't been that close. Iowa & Ohio State home games are worthy to mention.. the others.. not incredibly close at the end.

PS - in 11 BEast games this year, Marquette has had 6 in which the game went to OT or the game was decided by 3 points or less. Add in another 4 point loss... rough.

If you look at probability charts for Minnesota.. lots of the "within 2 possession games" weren't all that close in the last few minutes.

Gophers games for the most part haven't been that close. Iowa & Ohio State home games are worthy to mention.. the others.. not incredibly close at the end.

PS - in 11 BEast games this year, Marquette has had 6 in which the game went to OT or the game was decided by 3 points or less. Add in another 4 point loss... rough.

If you look at probability charts for Minnesota.. lots of the "within 2 possession games" weren't all that close in the last few minutes.

You have to include the games that maybe weren't classically close at the end but that the Gophs led at one point - in at least a few cases by more points than there were minutes left. Those games are by definition winnable even if they weren't statistically "close" (e.g. St. John's).

You have to include the games that maybe weren't classically close at the end but that the Gophs led at one point - in at least a few cases by more points than there were minutes left. Those games are by definition winnable even if they weren't statistically "close" (e.g. St. John's).

I'm more speaking toward those who believe this season has been filled with heartbreaking last second plays that lost Minnesota the game.

To your point, this season is FILLED with toss-up games.. contests between teams that are relatively evenly matched and could easily go either way. That's what really stings about the outcome - wins and losses - thus far. Not a great distance from a good season, but still just a bit too far. "What coulda been"

I'm more speaking toward those who believe this season has been filled with heartbreaking last second plays that lost Minnesota the game.

To your point, this season is FILLED with toss-up games.. contests between teams that are relatively evenly matched and could easily go either way. That's what really stings about the outcome - wins and losses - thus far. Not a great distance from a good season, but still just a bit too far. "What coulda been"

In my lexicon, when you give up a big lead like what I describe, that's not a toss-up; that's a meltdown. We've had at least three of those, I believe. Converting those two-foot putts is the difference between NCAA contention and a lost season.

That is what is so incredible about this season.

Yesterday the bounces went our way. That happens in the previous 6 games we are sitting at 10-1. I hate to play what if like that, because every team can do the same thing usually, but to be 4-7 when you were a few sloppy plays, bad breaks, and moments of horrendousness away from 10-1 is, well, it hurts.

But. Now we just need to keep winning and close the season strong. Let's have collapsed at the beginning and peak at the end!

It's not that we should be 10-1. The breaks don't all go your way. But we should be 6-5 at worst.

Top Bottom