Official 2015 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I enjoy following the rankings, but I don't really care if we are 1st or 11th, as long as we win with the guys we have. So far I think this year's class seems decent.

I just brought up the average star ranking since the Rivals ranking seems to favor teams with more recruits (strange if you ask me).

I believe that Kill has gotten "more with less" in the time that he has been here, which is what a turn-around guy has to do. I see his coaching as making some players better than others (or the players themselves) may have thought they could be. Good things are continuing to happen, and the recruits are getting better. This is building traditions.

So we're down to Jamal Milan and McKinley Whitfield to wrap up this class....

The ESPN blog had this reference to Milan in their Illinois recruiting breakdown yesterday ...

Who they want: There are still a few holes left in this class, and one of the bigger one is at defensive tackle. Jamal Milan is a prime target, and he recently took a visit to Illinois. He plans on announcing his decision on signing day and has the Illini in his top four. It's realistic to think he ends up in this class, which would be a big deal.

Good to see. Looks like he has gained about 13 pounds since he committed. Would like to see him get to at the very least 220-225 if not more by the time Mitch leaves.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good to see. Looks like he has gained about 13 pounds since he committed. Would like to see him get to at the very least 220-225 if not more by the time Mitch leaves.

Phew! I thought he joined the one ton club for a second.

If you subtract the weight of his cell phone he is still probably under 200...

If you subtract the weight of his cell phone he is still probably under 200...

Nah the iPhone only weighs like 4.5 ounces. So he's there!

Now his socks may be another factor we should worry about.... But Nike won't give me a weight online. All is lost! :cool:

PiPress: U recruit Dior Johnson had strong, two-way senior season

New Gophers football recruit Dior Johnson used a strong senior season on both sides of the ball to give himself an opportunity to play in the Big Ten Conference.

Johnson was impressive at safety and wide receiver during his last season at Southfield High School near Detroit, two recruiting analysts said. It helped earn him a four-star ranking by Rivals.com, the highest mark of any player in Minnesota coach Jerry Kill's incoming class.

"We did not rate Johnson a four-star on a whim," said Josh Helmholdt, a recruiting analyst covering the Midwest for Rivals. "That kid went out and earned it over and over during the offseason and in his senior season."

Johnson retracted a verbal commitment from Wake Forest on Tuesday and committed to the Gophers on Wednesday.

"This is a huge, late pickup for the Gophers and a player who will add instant athleticism to their defense," said Helmholdt, who has 12 years recruiting experience.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_27421655/gophers-football-u-recruit-dior-johnson-had-strong

Go Gophers!!

AL.com: Murphy 2015 defensive lineman Mose Hall commits to Minnesota

"Mose is a really good athlete," Cauley said. "He is one of hardest workers we have ever had. Mose is extremely tough. He really came out of nowhere. A lot of that had to do with his work ethic and being a really good person. Of course, being 6-foot-4 and nearly 260 pounds doesn't hurt either."

Hall's commitment continues a successful string of Minnesota recruiting in the area. In addition to signing Maye and Moore out of Murphy, the Gophers also signed Theodore's Jerry Gibson a year ago.

Cauley said that is a testament to Minnesota assistant coach Jay Sawvel.

"Coach Sawvel has been with Coach (Jerry) Kill since he was at Southern Illinois," Cauley said. "He went to Northern Illinois and continued to recruit Mobile there, signing Jimmie Ward out of Davidson. Now he is at Minnesota and still doing a good job in this area."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/murphy_2015_defensive_lineman.html

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

For a kid who has already committed to Tulsa twice, Whitfield seems genuinely excited for his visit. I think we flip him.

For a kid who has already committed to Tulsa twice, Whitfield seems genuinely excited for his visit. I think we flip him.

If he's still happy after flying Spirit Airlines, he's a mentally tough kid!

I'm hoping he goes home GOLD! He'd be a great get.

Spirit Airlines is the equivalent of megabus with wings.

Despite my vehement protest, I once flew on Spirit Airlines with a bunch of students who wanted to save money. I told them they’re about to get a real life lesson in how saving a lot will cost you more. Sure enough, it became a trip to hell. Everything from paying more for luggage (I knew better but several of the students learned the hard way) to flight itself was awful. Never again.

I flew Spirit to Cartagena, Columbia, they had the best connections, got to sit in the "1st Class" seats, checked our bags, brought our own good food (sushi instead of airline crap) and it still cost $200 less than coach on the big airlines. I actually enjoyed that the flight attendants aren't running up and down the aisle…it was a quiet flight.

Spirit Airlines is the equivalent of megabus with wings.

Despite my vehement protest, I once flew on Spirit Airlines with a bunch of students who wanted to save money. I told them they’re about to get a real life lesson in how saving a lot will cost you more. Sure enough, it became a trip to hell. Everything from paying more for luggage (I knew better but several of the students learned the hard way) to flight itself was awful. Never again.

Just booked a flight to LA to see a client. Could have flown Spirit for about $350. I'm charging my client $910 for the flight to avoid them. And they are fine with that.

If he's still happy after flying Spirit Airlines, he's a mentally tough kid!

I'm hoping he goes home GOLD! He'd be a great get.

He must have a 28-inch inseam. I have a troll-like body and even I don't have enough leg room on a Spirit flight.

I don't mean to disrupt this Spirit Airlines thread, but it's important to note that the airplane next to him is a Spirit jet, not necessarily the one he's in. For some reason, I very much doubt that the University of Minnesota transports recruits via Spirit Airlines.

Don't worry about Spirit, at that time of the morning they have one flight, everything else is Delta or Alaska Airlines.

The stuff we get distracted by...dang

I don't mean to disrupt this Spirit Airlines thread, but it's important to note that the airplane next to him is a Spirit jet, not necessarily the one he's in. For some reason, I very much doubt that the University of Minnesota transports recruits via Spirit Airlines.

lol...so I google airplane wings and about all I find is that Spirit does have that red flag thing on the end of their wings
and Delta does not for instance. And birds of a feather do generally flock together at an airport.

But agree with dpo...if we are flying guys in on Spirit...that can't help recruiting. Can recruits be flown on private planes? Commercial planes in first class?

Hopefully he is a Gopher.

First we fly him in on spirit. Now I hear we charged him $25 to get his pic with Goldy. We are screwing this up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So who's the commit that Burnsy is calling out that's potentially making an O/V this weekend to another school...as Droopy used to sy, "that's make me mad" :mad:

So who's the commit that Burnsy is calling out that's potentially making an O/V this weekend to another school...as Droopy used to sy, "that's make me mad" :mad:

curious to who this is as well

My biggest fear is losing Croft

You guys probably know more about recruits than I do at the moment - do you think Demry Croft will compete for a starting job right out of the gate? I'm pretty excited about this kid, but still think it would take something special to start over Leidner as a FR

Top Bottom