I feel sorry for coach Pitino

You have to give him some time. Probably the year after next we'll see improvement . Just me, but I wanted more experience in the hire. I had Eric Musselman at the top of my list followed by the coach at Northern Iowa. Time will tell I guess.

Dumbest post of the night. Congrats.

Mathieu is a shell of the player he was last year. Fatherhood is likely a major contributor; as it would be for most of us.

Well, coming from you that means a lot, because stupidity is something you know a great deal about.

Pitino read your mind, he just said on 1500 that his message to the team is: "nobody is going to feel sorry for us, and nobody should feel sorry for us. We can't hang our heads, it's on us to correct those things. "

I would have hoped they would have realized that the first four or five times it happened. Glad to see our team still remembers how to wet the bed late in close games.

Thanks for sharing the quote Nadine, appreciate all of the updates and info you share with us on the team.

As they should be mocked. Continuing the human race through procreation is more necessary (and a more important responsibility) than any college basketball season.
There are several ways this could be interpreted...Is Mathieu parenting, or saving the human race from extinction?

Not saying people shouldn't procreate, but the world is becoming overpopulated with earth's resources.

Don't be too concerned, tree hugger. I think there is plenty of room for DeAndre's child.

There is something wrong with attitude of this Gopher team. They weren't prepared to play hard tonight. They aren't willing to play tough defense. They lack aggressiveness on offense. They lack confidence. They aren't getting any better.
How much did losing MacNeil hurt? Is senioritis part of the problem? Are the players just soft? Is Pitino too tough on them mentally?
After last year I was convinced that Pitino was a very good coach but a mediocre recruiter. Now I wonder about his coaching. Our offensive scheme seems limited and our defense lacks consistency.
Am I wrong?

Don't be too concerned, tree hugger. I think there is plenty of room for DeAndre's child.

I am not saying deandre shouldn't procreate, don't put those words in my mouth. just making a comment to your stupid statement.

We must be the most unathletic team in the BIG. Mo & EE likely have a combined vertical of 10" and the one win, two wins now, PSU bigs were easily able to reject numerous shots in the paint. King is a merely guy to pass the ball too and he can't wait to get rid of it. Mason has not performed even though he has been rewarded with more PT. #4 has been a totally different player from last year.

Buggs gives the team some energy which is sorely needed. Yet RP gives him limited PT. Morris is a enigma but has more talent than most.

In spite of it all, the Goph's should have/could have easily won this game. Enough meandering.

I think Gopher fans need to take a deep breath and hope that the newbies next year fit in and Mason, Morris, Konate and Diendoh(sp) improve.

There is something wrong with attitude of this Gopher team. They weren't prepared to play hard tonight. They aren't willing to play tough defense. They lack aggressiveness on offense. They lack confidence. They aren't getting any better.
How much did losing MacNeil hurt? Is senioritis part of the problem? Are the players just soft? Is Pitino too tough on them mentally?
After last year I was convinced that Pitino was a very good coach but a mediocre recruiter. Now I wonder about his coaching. Our offensive scheme seems limited and our defense lacks consistency.
Am I wrong?
Who knows? Thats the problem at this point. We can argue and speculate endlessly, but ultimately, we can only wait and watch things unfold.
Its probably ok to close your eyes at times.

He's a young coach still learning how to coach in game and also how to train his team. This is also a flawed team with Mason the only guy I would consider close to a 'complete' player (maybe Hollins too). For instance Mo is skilled offensively but is soft and slow on D. EE can rebound and protect the rim at times but is poor offensively. Every lineup is limited in some area and there aren't enough guys that are talented enough to make things happen late in games. Its not a terrible roster but they have to play well together to make it work and they've had too many breakdowns

Am I wrong?

"How much did losing MacNeil hurt?"

We'll never know but probably not so much.

"Is senioritis part of the problem?"

I doubt it. Senioritis is something that has an effect on high school seniors after they have been accepted to college or college seniors after they have obtained a job. I don't that applies to the seniors on our team.

"Are the players just soft? "

At times, yes.

"Is Pitino too tough on them mentally?"

I don't know, but I think he is kind of lost himself. Given his lack of experience (both as a player and as a coach), he probably shouldn't have gotten this job. Right now, he appears to be lurching from one fix-it attempt to another

"After last year I was convinced that Pitino was a very good coach but a mediocre recruiter. Now I wonder about his coaching. Our offensive scheme seems limited and our defense lacks consistency."

I think he is a better recruiter than a coach.

"Am I wrong?"

How can you be wrong? You haven't asserted anything. You've just posed questions.

"How much did losing MacNeil hurt?"

We'll never know but probably not so much.

"Is senioritis part of the problem?"

I doubt it. Senioritis is something that has an effect on high school seniors after they have been accepted to college or college seniors after they have obtained a job. I don't that applies to the seniors on our team.

"Are the players just soft? "

At times, yes.

"Is Pitino too tough on them mentally?"

I don't know, but I think he is kind of lost himself. Given his lack of experience (both as a player and as a coach), he probably shouldn't have gotten this job. Right now, he appears to be lurching from one fix-it attempt to another

"After last year I was convinced that Pitino was a very good coach but a mediocre recruiter. Now I wonder about his coaching. Our offensive scheme seems limited and our defense lacks consistency."

I think he is a better recruiter than a coach.

"Am I wrong?"

How can you be wrong? You haven't asserted anything. You've just posed questions.

Hate to harp on you, but actually the first 5 sentences are statements and also a couple in the middle.

I get so frustrated with Joey King. It seems every time he gets the ball behind the arc and is open, he does the old ball fake. It never seems to result in a basket ultimately.

This team is not too smart and they don't play well together.

At least we will get a high draft choice this year

I feel a lot worse for the players than the coaches. They are getting well compensated to coach Big Ten basketball.

Pitino read your mind, he just said on 1500 that his message to the team is: "nobody is going to feel sorry for us, and nobody should feel sorry for us. ]We can't hang our heads, it's on us to correct those things. "

my god is Leslie Frazier back?

I think he deserves some of the blame. Tonight was another example. We came back to take the lead with EE and Buggs in at the same time in the 2nd half, but then he takes them out. Guess what happens? Penn St. goes on a 8-0 run.

I'm not going to give up on him yet and think he will get at least four years, but it's hard not to be worried about his coaching abilities right now. The blame for this season deserves to be spread around.

I'd spread it around thickest on seniors who don't lead, guys who can't dribble and big people who don't catch the ball. Oh yeah, don't forget point guards who can't shoot, but instead execute ball handling drills in the offensive zone late in the game.

I've never seen a team so strongly focused on running pick & roll that sets so many ineffective screens. We'll run five picks in a row and never get the dribbler around the corner or hit the roll to the hoop or even take advantage of a mismatch on the switch. It's like we run pick & roll just to eat clock.

I've never seen a team so strongly focused on running pick & roll that sets so many ineffective screens. We'll run five picks in a row and never get the dribbler around the corner or hit the roll to the hoop or even take advantage of a mismatch on the switch. It's like we run pick & roll just to eat clock.

the problem is there is no one with minutes agile enough to "roll"

Agreed. Of the seniors, I will only be sorry to see Dre go. I know that others have been mocked for saying it but I'm not convinced that parental responsibilities haven't impacted Mathieu this year. He is a shell of what he was last year and at times a liability on the court.

+1

Am I wrong?

I saw it just the opposite. I felt that the guys played hard. If you watch it in terms of where they were positioned on offense they had countless opportunities to score from in close and missed layup after layup. A lot of this is that we just don't have the size and athleticism to finish plays. Penn State blacked of our shots and that's in addition to 4 shots Joey King blocked of his own. He may be the first player in history to have faked himself out of his own jockstrap. No this group is just no real good. Deandre and King and Morris were terrible tonight. Despite all of that we had an open look for Mason for 3 with about 4 minutes to go that would have put us ahead by 4 and of course he missed. From there they disintegrated. They played hard- they just cannot finish.

We must be the most unathletic team in the BIG. Mo & EE likely have a combined vertical of 10" and the one win, two wins now, PSU bigs were easily able to reject numerous shots in the paint. King is a merely guy to pass the ball too and he can't wait to get rid of it. Mason has not performed even though he has been rewarded with more PT. #4 has been a totally different player from last year.

Buggs gives the team some energy which is sorely needed. Yet RP gives him limited PT. Morris is a enigma but has more talent than most.

In spite of it all, the Goph's should have/could have easily won this game. Enough meandering.

I think Gopher fans need to take a deep breath and hope that the newbies next year fit in and Mason, Morris, Konate and Diendoh(sp) improve.

This was a really great post by BFGopher. I am not sure why Matheu is such a shell of himself this year, but it is a really shocking regression. For a player like this to take such a huge step forward, then turn to crap in a few months is shocking. Watching Hollins play like a 16 year old scared kid this year then suddenly become himself again is odd.

I blame a lot of the strangeness we have seen this year on the coaching staff. Of course, when players on deeper team check out, a good coach can turn to the next guys, and this team is limited, but what a piss poor season this has been.

The performance of all seniors on this team so far has been miserable. I almost miss Ralph III after seeing this. Okay, that was too much, I never want to see RSIII again. So does anyone know, is RSIII making 300K a year playing in China or Slovakia?

No probably,,,,,

the problem is there is no one with minutes agile enough to "roll"

I see buggs wide open twice, when he rolled, but we were unable to pass him the ball.....I was screaming pass it.....I agree with your statement though

Top Bottom