Do you like the "blackout" idea?

• Yes

Votes: 68 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters
Seriously? Some 18 year old kid is going to pick the U because we had a blackout? That is absurd. Gold would have made sense and looked a lot better and still had no affect on recruiting.
Could not agree more. Yes , some kids think a blackout is cool. But at the same time they don't give a rat's rear if you DON'T have one.
The idea is old and stale.
And it didn't really pump up our players.

On TV and when the camera was pulled back it looked like a bunch of empty seats and required a closer look to see that people were actually in the seats. Really cool idea and I actually think it went over better than the 'Gold Out' attempts in the past. Did they pass out those black shirts as you entered the building? I only ask because the majority of people in the arena actually wore black.

I also thought the crowd sucked big time during the game last night. Very disappointing.

If I didn't know any better, from my seats in the upper deck, I would have guessed it was Iowa vs Ohio State playing yesterday.

Absolutely terrible.

And no I'm not some old scrooge, I'm 22.

If I didn't know any better, from my seats in the upper deck, I would have guessed it was Iowa vs Ohio State playing yesterday.

Absolutely terrible.

I'm 34 and I loved the blackout idea. I wish I could have gone. Many Gopher fans have been asking the U for years to go outside the box to try and build excitement around program. They finally do it and people are throwing a fit because of the color scheme. For real? People act like the U has some sacred tradition and it cannot be touched. For real? Out of the big 3 the only sport that can't be touched with gimmicks is hockey, the rest are fair game. The U can't win, people b*tch when we stay status quo and people b*tch when the U goes outside the box.

Relax it was 1 friggin game, we will back to maroon and gold for the rest of the year. Never heard of grown ass men pissing about fashion. Unreal!!!

This isn't about fashion, it's about tradition. Black is not one of our colors and we looked ridiculous wearing it last night.

Our guys were so excited and pumped to wear these stupid black jerseys that we proceeded to lay a huge turd the entire first half and let Russell have the run of the joint.

Seriously? Some 18 year old kid is going to pick the U because we had a blackout? That is absurd. Gold would have made sense and looked a lot better and still had no affect on recruiting.

It's over.

It turned out to be fine. There was a lot more black in the building than I expected given our fan base. Putting aside the Iowa issue I thought the unis looked sharp. But if this is the only time we do this I might just burn my t-shirt because of the bad memory of the game it'll bring back.

I have to admit that after being a major skeptic about how things would go down, the blackout came off far better than I'd ever expected. I still think that had t-shirts been given out for free, the rate of participation would have been nearer to 100% even if there'd still be some refusniks. As others have noted, the non participants were largely concentrated in the lower deck between the baskets although there were individuals and small pockets of non black wearers everywhere that did take away from the effect a bit. At any rate, it was a good start and the results warrant future color outs with refined approaches to promotion.

Absolutely terrible.

You're 22 years old and have a north stars avatar? Did those games you watched as an infant really sit with you over the years?

A blackout idea would be better for football.

They could wear black jerseys (but switch from a gold number to a maroon number with gold trim) with gold pants and the maroon helmet. It would look pretty sweet.

I don't mind black. I don't like the lack of maroon. If you could do black while still working in a lot of maroon I would be okay with it.

A blackout idea would be better for football.

They could wear black jerseys (but switch from a gold number to a maroon number with gold trim) with gold pants and the maroon helmet. It would look pretty sweet.

I don't mind black. I don't like the lack of maroon. If you could do black while still working in a lot of maroon I would be okay with it.

NO

Must say, I thought the black uniforms were sharp, just as the black ones in 1996-97 were sharp when the Gophers wore 'em at Target Center vs. West Virginia.

Stick with maroon & gold, but as long as the black uniforms are going to look that sharp, go ahead and wear 'em once a year. If the uniforms had been butt-ugly gaudy, that's another story.

You're 22 years old and have a north stars avatar? Did those games you watched as an infant really sit with you over the years?

Lol, I like the logo.

Seriously though, you'll see a hell of a lot more North Stars gear walking around the U campus today than you will Wild gear.

On TV and when the camera was pulled back it looked like a bunch of empty seats and required a closer look to see that people were actually in the seats. Really cool idea and I actually think it went over better than the 'Gold Out' attempts in the past. Did they pass out those black shirts as you entered the building? I only ask because the majority of people in the arena actually wore black.

I also thought the crowd sucked big time during the game last night. Very disappointing.

Huh? The crowd was fantastic and one of the better ones I've seen.

Why have official school colors if your athletic teams aren't going to wear them?

And can the white uniform argument. You know better.

They should have gotten a couple sponsors to buy the shirts and handed then out. But I liked the idea. Was a cool environment besides the old fart season ticket holders who didn't want to participate. Wouldn't be opposed to making this a once a year thing at all.

I'm 34 and I loved the blackout idea. I wish I could have gone. Many Gopher fans have been asking the U for years to go outside the box to try and build excitement around program. They finally do it and people are throwing a fit because of the color scheme. For real? People act like the U has some sacred tradition and it cannot be touched. For real? Out of the big 3 the only sport that can't be touched with gimmicks is hockey, the rest are fair game. The U can't win, people b*tch when we stay status quo and people b*tch when the U goes outside the box.

Relax it was 1 friggin game, we will back to maroon and gold for the rest of the year. Never heard of grown ass men pissing about fashion. Unreal!!!

Spoken like a true puck head.

If there's one team that truly underachieves, it's the hockey team.

But he's right when is the last time the U has gone anywhere in like a football or basketball?

Seriously? I hate hockey, but 5 final 4 appearances and two titles in the last 12 years is not underachieving.

complain all you want, but the barn was rocking and during semester break. blackout idea was not meant to get the old farts excited(nothing gets them excited) its about the students and even recruiting. Oregon football has become a powerhouse simply to their uptempo offense and the way they played with their color scheme with their jerseys, that has excited recruits and they have taken advantage of it. Pitino is working on the up tempo part and now you have to show recruits that your school is also cool and fun by having a fun atmosphere and getting the students engaged, the players on the court could care less about the old farts, they want to see that their fellow classmates support them and are engaged.

HTML:
Out of the big 3 the only sport that can't be touched with gimmicks is hockey, the rest are fair game.

^Makes absolutely no sense^
Gimmicks for all but hockey?

But he's right when is the last time the U has gone anywhere in like a football or basketball?

I'm not a hockey guy, I have maybe watched 2-3 hockey games in my life

Where MN sits with resources, high school hockey players and the small amount of college hockey teams......they should be the elite of college hockey. Much like Duke and KY are to basketball.

Straw man argument. Nobody said that. And really? Gold? How many people have gold shirts?

Seriously? I hate hockey, but 5 final 4 appearances and two titles in the last 12 years is not underachieving.

not to take this off topic, but it is considering we are what alabama is to football or kentucky is to basketball when it comes to hockey and we recruit like it and yet that is what we have to show for it, when bama and kentucky have had better success in their perspective sport which by the way is a lot more competitive considering the amount of schools that participate and care about basketball and football around the country compared to hockey. Also you started your clock for when they first won the national title, why not start the clock to a good roundnumber like 10, that eliminates 2 national titles

Out of the big 3 the only sport that can't be touched with gimmicks is hockey, the rest are fair game. ^Makes absolutely no sense^ Gimmicks for all but hockey? Where MN sits with resources, high school hockey players and the small amount of college hockey teams......they should be the elite of college hockey. Much like Duke and KY are to basketball.

I said hockey is the only sport with tradition nothing else

I dot know how the hockey team is doing but they are always ranked very high from what I understand. Is the hockey team struggling

Top Bottom