Tyus Jones

Doc1001

Reaction score
He has been sitting on the bench in street clothes. Is he not as good as he thinks he is or will his time come?

From what I've heard it's been decided to send him down to the D-league, which really sucks because that team desperately needs a back up PG and Lavine has not looked comfortable whatsoever. Not sure if you would consider the Tyus pick a waste of a first round draft pick at this point.... hopefully he'll be ready in a year or two

From what I've heard it's been decided to send him down to the D-league, which really sucks because that team desperately needs a back up PG and Lavine has not looked comfortable whatsoever. Not sure if you would consider the Tyus pick a waste of a first round draft pick at this point.... hopefully he'll be ready in a year or two

Should've stayed in school.

lol 'is he not as good as he thinks'. Such a stupid shot taken. He's a rookie PG. Outside of the lottery type guys most rookies are buried on the bench right now because.... they're rookies. They need to mature and grow to contribute.

I'd rather see Tyus as the backup PG for the Wolves instead of trying to force Lavine into that spot when he has looked much better at the SG so far in his NBA career.

I'd rather see Tyus as the backup PG for the Wolves instead of trying to force Lavine into that spot when he has looked much better at the SG so far in his NBA career.

I agree completely about Lavine- it's pretty painful watching him try to play the PG spot, he's much more effective being an attacker off the dribble off the ball. Unfortunately, based on Tyus' performance in preseason, I really don't think he is an option at this point. He looked really over-matched, and you don't want to throw him in there and kill his confidence before he's ready, IMO.

He is way too small and needs weight. While it was the 25th pick and that is a gamble, I would have much rather they have kept pick 31, picked the best euro and stash him rather than waste it on a guy that will more than likely never really be an nba player. I watched summer league and went to 2 pre-season games, his lack of size is alarming and he is not at a quickness level to make up for it. If Flip was not the gm at the time I doubt they make that trade. Sadly enough an out of position Lavine is a better option than Jones.

He is way too small and needs weight. While it was the 25th pick and that is a gamble, I would have much rather they have kept pick 31, picked the best euro and stash him rather than waste it on a guy that will more than likely never really be an nba player. I watched summer league and went to 2 pre-season games, his lack of size is alarming and he is not at a quickness level to make up for it. If Flip was not the gm at the time I doubt they make that trade. Sadly enough an out of position Lavine is a better option than Jones.

If the gophers land Tre Jones, it will have been worth the pick. x1000

Why would he have stayed in school? His draft stock was about as high as it could have been the way he played toward the end of last year.

The fact that they think Lavine and a 40 year old Andre Miller are better options should tell you something. I am not talking about stock, talking about his ability, kid is not ready for primetime, he's a boy amongst men. It's the classic case of what's wrong with today's NBA, use to be guys like Tyus stayed three or four years of college and went into draft as a more polished product, now teams waste pick of these projects that might pan out in three to four years, Guys like Lavine and Jones should still be honing their skills in college. There are plenty of talented players in Europe who could fill bench roles in the NBA that are better than a lot of these one and done kids. Both the NBA and the NCAA are watered products because of how teams draft philosophies have switched in the past 10-15 years.

They want him to play every day rather than sit on the bench behind Rubio, he'll be fine, he needs to develop defensively and the D' league is probably the best option.

The fact that they think Lavine and a 40 year old Andre Miller are better options should tell you something. I am not talking about stock, talking about his ability, kid is not ready for primetime, he's a boy amongst men. It's the classic case of what's wrong with today's NBA, use to be guys like Tyus stayed three or four years of college and went into draft as a more polished product, now teams waste pick of these projects that might pan out in three to four years, Guys like Lavine and Jones should still be honing their skills in college. There are plenty of talented players in Europe who could fill bench roles in the NBA that are better than a lot of these one and done kids. Both the NBA and the NCAA are watered products because of how teams draft philosophies have switched in the past 10-15 years.

You are probably right but from Jones perspective he would have been pretty stupid to stay in school and pass up the couple of million dollars he is guaranteed being a first round draft pick.

All I care about is Jones being on the team when his bro makes his college decision!

As someone else mentioned, probably better for Jones to go to the NBDL League to get lots of playing time than to be in Miller's role. Miller hasn't played yet in three games.

You are probably right but from Jones perspective he would have been pretty stupid to stay in school and pass up the couple of million dollars he is guaranteed being a first round draft pick.

Exactly!

Honestly, I think Lavine playing pg could be beneficial. At some point, Mitchell will be forced to stop the experiment.

And for those saying that it's telling that he can't play in front of Lavine or Miller, it has nothing to do with Tyus. It has everything to do with just getting Lavine playing time. Tayshaun prince is actually the biggest problem. Since he is starting, they play Lavine at the 1 to get some playing time, which hurts Tyus and that entire 2nd unit because Lavine can't run an offense.

It's not Tyus' fault. It's a combo of Mitchell's coaching, having Prince, and just the nature of NBA and valuing high end potential. He will get playing time soon enough.

There is nothing wrong with Jones' talent level. He is an NBA level talent. He would gain nothing from playing another year in college. He was the best player on the best team in the most important game of the season in college, there isn't much room to go up from there. It's all about his size and athleticism. If he was 6'4" he'd be playing right now. He needs some time to get stronger and faster, as well as develop some skills to accommodate for his lack of size. It will come with age. I bet he's a solid back-up PG in 3 years time or less.

There is nothing wrong with Jones' talent level. He is an NBA level talent. He would gain nothing from playing another year in college. He was the best player on the best team in the most important game of the season in college, there isn't much room to go up from there. It's all about his size and athleticism. If he was 6'4" he'd be playing right now. He needs some time to get stronger and faster, as well as develop some skills to accommodate for his lack of size. It will come with age. I bet he's a solid back-up PG in 3 years time or less.

You mean right about the time he would graduate from college?

The fact that they think Lavine and a 40 year old Andre Miller are better options should tell you something. I am not talking about stock, talking about his ability, kid is not ready for primetime, he's a boy amongst men.
Guys like Lavine and Jones should still be honing their skills in college..

andre miller has played the same ammount of minutes as tyus this year. 0. and he pretty much is a boy since he's 19.

they probably should be but why would they turn down millions of dollars.

lol 'is he not as good as he thinks'. Such a stupid shot taken. He's a rookie PG. Outside of the lottery type guys most rookies are buried on the bench right now because.... they're rookies. They need to mature and grow to contribute.
100 percent right. hated him when he wasn't a Gopher but he will be just fine.Seems to be a good guy with his head on straight. No way he should have even considered staying in school. Great business decision.

No way he should have even considered staying in school. Great business decision.

View attachment 3926

Actually a very poor business decision if he thought he could have went higher next year. Huge pay drop-off where he was picked at compared to top 15, 10, etc., but took the safe bet.

I think it would be right around the time his bank account surpassed six million.

Right... Zach is not the brightest bulb, he'll spend plenty of his earnings. Was told by a staff member of the Pup's, after getting to know him he was shocked Zach even got into UCLA & made it a semester with passing grades.

A knuckle head is much better suited as a 2, 3 or probably even more so a big man than PG.

The Lavine point guard experiment is almost over. Anyone who has ever watched basketball is criticizing our coaching staff. Its obvious he isn't a point guard. Once someone gets hurt, Lavine will move to another role and Andre Miller will play backup point guard. He retires next year and if Tyus keeps improving he will step in behind Rubio. He just needs to understand his role and be patient and positive. Easy for a veteran to do that but difficult for a 19 year old who has never sat on the bench.

View attachment 3926

Actually a very poor business decision if he thought he could have went higher next year. Huge pay drop-off where he was picked at compared to top 15, 10, etc., but took the safe bet.
Yeah I'm sure he was a lock lottery pick. He made the only possible choice. The draft is all about potential and his upside is limited mostly by his lacking elite physical skills.

Biggest Problem

The biggest setback for Tyus is the passing of Flip. Flip loved his talents. Watched Tyus play a ton in high school with the idea of recruiting him as the Gopher coach. They had a good relationship.
Flip orchestrates the trade to get him at #24-#25...without Flip, Tyus is likely a second round pick, according to everything I hear. If Flip was here, Tyus would be playing.

I was at the first pre season game with OKC. Westbrook is twice as fast, twice as quick, twice the strength er muscle size and just abused him. Tyus looked very over matched. He didn't score in 24 minutes. I didn't see the game, but versus the Bulls pre season he scored 18 with 9 assists...so it's in there for him to be effective. He had another preseason game of 12 points.

Not sure what Sam is doing? La Vine is not a point guard according to almost everyone who sees him play. Tyus is a point guard. Hopefully, they eventually develop Tyus with game time and find out if he can play. We have have some pieces but a better draft pick makes more sense than fighting for the 9th spot in the conference. Develop the young guys...see what you got. Use the veterans for leadership on the bench with occasional minutes.

Side note: I think Andre Miller has a leg injury...which is why he hasn't seen time.

Yeah I'm sure he was a lock lottery pick. He made the only possible choice. The draft is all about potential and his upside is limited mostly by his lacking elite physical skills.

Yeah everyone says stay until he tears an ACL game one, is never the same, doesn't get drafted and has nothing but some cool memories.

Tyus made the right call leaving early. He will be fine IMO. Why spend a few years developing in college for a scholarship when you can develop just as much or more in the NBA/NBDL for millions of dollars as a first round pick?

shouldn't this be in the all things tyus thread? or the wolves season thread?

Top Bottom