PiPress: Mbakwe to lend maturity, muscle to Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Trevor Mbakwe to lend maturity, muscle to Minnesota Gophers
Junior college transfer shows his stuff in the Howard Pulley summer league
By Marcus R. Fuller
Updated: 07/01/2009 12:21:30 AM CDT

After snatching the ball off the rim, Trevor Mbakwe landed in a swarm of defenders who hacked at him.

In the end, the 6-foot-8, 230-pound Mbakwe was the bully.

He lowered his shoulder, took a power dribble and muscled in a layup against two players while being fouled.

The sequence was repeated all night during Mbakwe's Howard Pulley Pro City League debut last week in St. Paul — demonstrating how the junior college transfer should help the University of Minnesota's big men compete in the rugged Big Ten Conference next season.

Mbakwe's maturity isn't limited to basketball. The 20-year-old St. Paul native and former high school standout at Henry Sibley and St. Bernard's is learning to be a student-athlete and father. His son, Makhi (pronounced Ma-KAI), is 18 months old.

"It's been an enjoyable experience," said Mbakwe, who scored 25 points in that Howard Pulley game June 23 and had 24 points the next night. "At first, I didn't know what to expect, but it's nice. He's been motivational for me."

After coming back from a knee injury to play 11 games for Marquette as a freshman, Mbakwe transferred to Miami Dade College last season before returning home to play for the Gophers.

Establishing himself as one of the nation's top junior college power forwards was a lot easier than trying to stay connected to his son, who lived 1,700 miles away in Minnesota.

"They came down to a couple games and visited me," he said about his son and girlfriend.

Since May, Mbakwe, who lives off campus, has been home. His son has been able to attend more of his games, roaming the stands and sidelines at the Brother's Keeper men's basketball league in Minneapolis, and now at Howard Pulley.

Makhi has been around his dad playing basketball so much now that "his first word was 'ball,' " said Mbakwe, who transferred to the Gophers partly to be closer to his family.

It also didn't hurt to have so many familiar faces on Minnesota's roster. He grew up playing with junior guards Al Nolen and Blake Hoffarber, as well as incoming freshmen Royce White and Rodney Williams Jr., and the chemistry started building in team pickup games this summer.

"It's been really good knowing how each other plays," Mbakwe said "It's been a smooth transition, and I can't wait for the season. I'm glad to be back."

The Gophers are happy that he might provide the toughness and explosiveness they had lacked in the post game. Mbakwe, who has a 36-inch vertical leap, averaged 16 points, 13 rebounds and three blocks a game at Miami Dade.

How does that translate to the Big Ten? ESPN.com predicted Mbakwe would be the conference's newcomer of the year.

"I think I fit in real good as the physical presence down low that they've been missing," he said. "I feel like me, Royce and Rodney can come in and compete and help them get to the next level. They got to the (NCAA) first round. Hopefully, we can go to the second round or even further."

Gophers sophomore guard Devoe Joseph called playing on Mbakwe's summer league team "real fun."

"You can see how athletic he is," Joseph said. "He's always entertaining. He can give you a powerful dunk. He's going to make plays this year."

He has made an impression off the court, as well.

"He's been coming out a lot to our open gyms and working out with our guys," Sibley High School coach Tom Dasovich said. "He's always been a good kid and exciting player. But I think he's just matured a ton. Having had a kid and being a couple years out of high school will do it."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12727876

Go Gophers!!

Trevor And Royce

The Gophers are set at PF with two legitimate Big 10 caliber players.

It'll make a big difference. Sampson and Iverson are both C. Damian Johnson and Paul Carter are really WF not PF.

The Gophers are set at PF with two legitimate Big 10 caliber players.

It'll make a big difference. Sampson and Iverson are both C. Damian Johnson and Paul Carter are really WF not PF.

Actually, I'd say ideally Royce is more of a SF (admittedly with nice size there.) I really envision him being Evan Turner.

Carter plays more like a PF with his knack for rebounding although with not the perfect size.

There are some very big players in the H.P. games and Mbakwe is showing he can push and shove with any of them. He is truly is going to be one of the missing pieces when the B.T. season begins. When someone puts a hard body on him he always reacts in kind. His aggression has led to some foul trouble through.

The Gophers will have a strong inside present this year. Hopefully that will translate into game points and that should mean they will get better looks from the outside.

Speaking of outside shooting: If you missed the show that Columbia Heghts player Jacob Thomas put on Monday night, you missed a memorable preformance. Man can that kid shoot!

Can Thomas create his own shot or is he more of a spot-up shooter like Blake?

We are going to have a ton of flexibility with our front court. We can go big & strong with Colton, Trevor, and Royce or long & quick with Sampson, Johnson, and Carter, or mix-and-match for your favorite flavor.

Depth - a nice luxury we haven't had a lot of around here.

>>Depth - a nice luxury we haven't had a lot of around here.<<

Maybe we can double the length of games to give them all the PT they'll want.

Or, like most big-time programs, talented guys will compete and make each other better and the coach will play the ones who earn time on the floor...

Gopher 4 life said..."Maybe we can double the length of games to give them all the PT they'll want"

We will need the depth because of how tired our guys will get climbing up onto that raised floor.

Sorry I shouldn't have said that.

Question marks

I'm hearing some fairly disturbing rumors, from reliable sources, that don't have Trevor in a Gopher uniform this season.

I will say more when I know more definitively, but the sources are legit.

I'm hearing some fairly disturbing rumors, from reliable sources, that don't have Trevor in a Gopher uniform this season.

WTF?

Let's hope this never comes to fruition. Trevor takes the Gophers to a whole new level.

Is this for academic reasons or just "Trevor being Trevor?"

Why is everyone so excited about a guy that averaged 1.5 points for Marquette, committed almost as many fouls as he had rebounds, had twice as many turnovers as he had assists, shot 27% from the field and 47% from the foul line?

"I will say more when I know more definitively, but the sources are legit."

Perhaps it would be better to "know more definately" before saying anything at all.

Why is everyone so excited about a guy that averaged 1.5 points for Marquette, committed almost as many fouls as he had rebounds, had twice as many turnovers as he had assists, shot 27% from the field and 47% from the foul line?

He was coming back from a major injury. He clearly wasn't a near 100%.

I call bullshit

Do you have information to that effect or is it wishful thinking?

Mbakwe's history is checkered when it comes to academics and keeping a commitment. Nothing would surprise me.

Why can't he state his opinion.

I realize I'll be ripped for this due to my low post count and the incendiary nature of what I'm passing on but here goes...

I encountered a Pro City league participant (non-Gopher) this past weekend at a local watering hole and asked him how some of the Gophers were looking. In particular I asked about Trevor; to which I was told that he may be in trouble in regards to some pretty serious off-court, off-campus issues. To be fair, the player in question was a couple thirteen, fourteen to the wind and could have been completely full of BS.

Here's hoping he and Facts34 both have their source wrong, but for whatever reason there are rumors swirling out there.

Haven't heard a single negative word about Trevor and I would think some of the people I've talked to in the past couple weeks would know. Marcus would not of wasted his time on that interview if he had any idea there was a problem. It is Trevor and he doea have a shaky history so you can never count anything out but until I hear anything different than the very positive reports of how well he is playing, i would count on Trevor being in a Gopher uniform this fall.

The potential issue with Trevor is not academic-related. It is an off-court issue.

For his sake, I hope he ends up in the clear. However, I doubt that will be the case.

Tubby wants nothing to do with this and my source on that doesn't get any closer to the horse's mouth.

For those calling BS - good on ya. You don't know me. I don't know you. But I'm in the know on this particular issue.

Facts 34 said "But I'm in the know on this particular issue. "

I wish you would quit trying to act like "Deep Throat". I find this whole "cloak and dagger" type of posting quite irritating. On the one hand you are quite willing to insinuate vague accusations against someone because you are so important and privy to such important inside information. On the other hand you lack the balls to just spit it out. Why?

Yes, I am offering this information to boost my online, anonymous, message board ego. I enjoy doing this because I am "so important" - your words.

Irritating you is just an added plus.

Believe it. Don't believe it. It's up to you. This information is legit and will surface in the near future. And I'm not going to get into specifics - on the slim chance that it somehow goes away.

I have 'inside info' that this issue will go away;):p Hopefully Facts34 will go away too!!

Top Bottom