Charlie Rogers commits to Gophers!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Welcome....should have just come here the first time! :)

Safety or corner? Seems to have the size for safety.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

His earlier tweet about how he can't wait to get the hell out of Iowa is great. Truer words never spoken Charlie, truer words never spoken. :D

Ski-U-Mah!

We really need depth at safety for next year, so this is an important commit for us. There is no one else behind Johnson and Travis with game experience at safety. Hopefully McGhee continues to improve and gets p.t. too, that would give us a nice 4-man rotation.

Has it been confirmed that Rogers will be here in January?

We really need depth at safety for next year, so this is an important commit for us. There is no one else behind Johnson and Travis with game experience at safety. Hopefully McGhee continues to improve and gets p.t. too, that would give us a nice 4-man rotation.

+1. Great points.

As Galt said, this is an important commit because we have Johnson & Travis starting at Safety, with Duke McGhee behind them & he doesn't have much experience at this point. The coaches have said McGhee has NFL potential, but the book on him right now is he hits like a truck, but is not where we want him to be in pass coverage. Adding Rogers (a January enrolee) means he'll be here for Spring practice & then have two years to play. Rogers is a guy who, baring injuries, will absolutely be playing next Fall (as will McGhee). The following year Rogers & McGhee are you likely starters at Safety.

Good to see he will be here in January adds some much needed depth to the safety spot.

We need a body and maybe I'm alone here, but I thought the safety play was iffy at several junctures during the season. A large part of that may be attributable to Claeys' scheme, but it would be nice to get a bit more athletic at that position.

Glad to see Rogers on board.

I thought the safety play was iffy at several junctures during the season.

It's hard to know who or what's to blame as an observer. Coaches know. Which means the Coaches All Big Ten team is highly revealing.

Cedric did not even get Honorable Mention. What does that tell you? It tells you he did not particularly impress people on tape.

(Two big touchdowns come to mind: Ohio State in the first quarter and Wisconsin in the third.)

It's hard to know who or what's to blame as an observer. Coaches know. Which means the Coaches All Big Ten team is highly revealing.

Cedric did not even get Honorable Mention. What does that tell you? It tells you he did not particularly impress people on tape.

(Two big touchdowns come to mind: Ohio State in the first quarter and Wisconsin in the third.)

Agreed. Cedric is a steady tackler, but the occasional breakdowns in coverage have been glaring.

Anybody know why he left ISU initially?

Anybody know why he left ISU initially?

Looks like he had to take a brief detour to the JUCO ranks, so my personal guess would be it was because he had to get his academics in order.

P.S. And Dr. Don's answer.

We need a body and maybe I'm alone here, but I thought the safety play was iffy at several junctures during the season. A large part of that may be attributable to Claeys' scheme, but it would be nice to get a bit more athletic at that position.

Glad to see Rogers on board.

It's hard to know if those big plays were a result of poor safety play or bad cornerback play.

I tend to lean safety though. The blown coverage on that big play against Wisconsin was definitely on the safety. He was yapping with a linebacker as the ball was snapped and got left in the dust.

Looks like he had to take a brief detour to the JUCO ranks, so my personal guess would be it was because he had to get his academics in order.

P.S. And Dr. Don's answer.

Actually Matt Humbert at The Daily Gopher said Rogers was academic all Big 12 his freshman year. Him leaving wasn't academics or getting in trouble, it sounds like it just wasn't a good fit.

Actually Matt Humbert at The Daily Gopher said Rogers was academic all Big 12 his freshman year. Him leaving wasn't academics or getting in trouble, it sounds like it just wasn't a good fit.

Great to hear and thank you for clarifying. Happy to hear he has found in the U of M what he feels is the right fit.

Great to hear and thank you for clarifying. Happy to hear he has found in the U of M what he feels is the right fit.
It also might help explain why he took so long to decide. He was burned once in the recruiting process.

He's a fabulous athlete and played quite a bit his freshman year at ISU. Many speculate Iowa didn't offer out of high school due to character issues. If Kill offered, though, I imagine those issues are either resolved or simply rumors.

He's a fabulous athlete and played quite a bit his freshman year at ISU. Many speculate Iowa didn't offer out of high school due to character issues. If Kill offered, though, I imagine those issues are either resolved or simply rumors.

Simply rumors? Rumors rule on GH.

I'm not complaining because I like the system, but our system really puts a lot of pressure on the safeties. They are expected to help out quite a bit in the run game an they are often left to man up receivers.

Rogers is a fantastic athlete and I actually think that either him or Duke will start alongside Travis next season.

Top Bottom