Myron continues to spread his joy about Minnesota basketball

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I get it that we need a practice facility to keep up with the Jones's, but Myron continues to go too far with this "woe is Minnesota program" perception he seems to enjoy perpetuating. Minnesota a "bad" job? Really Myron? Sure seems like he goes out of his way to diss schools he has connections to (Minnesota/worked for Strib, Marquette/lived in Milwaukee). Petty.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ing-bad-head-coaching-jobs-college-basketball

What a hack. I regret clicking on the link. It's also a joke that he has Marquette on the list when they spend more money on their program than any other college basketball program in the country not named Duke.

Garbage article from a garbage author, IMO. Having MN, Marquette and even UNLV on that list while schools like VT, TCU, Auburn, Georgia, SC and Washington State aren't mentioned and Texas Tech and Oregon State (possibly the worst BCS job) only get an 'honorable mention' is a joke.

Garbage article from a garbage author, IMO. Having MN, Marquette and even UNLV on that list while schools like VT, TCU, Auburn, Georgia, SC and Washington State aren't mentioned and Texas Tech and Oregon State (possibly the worst BCS job) only get an 'honorable mention' is a joke.

All those bad jobs he has listed are better than the one he has.

Really Myron? Sure seems like he goes out of his way to diss schools he has connections to

Do I have the wrong person? I though you have defended this dope quite a bit.

Again, I could be off, maybe I am thinking of the late-great GW or someone else... just wondering.

" A stubborn fan base will pout if the school decides to overhaul the ancient Williams Arena (constructed in 1928"

Bitter much?

Do I have the wrong person? I though you have defended this dope quite a bit.

Again, I could be off, just wondering.

Think you have the wrong person. I've pretty much remained silent on anything Myron writes (though I have a strong distaste for his writing style), but I couldn't let this one pass.

1) We probably don't deserve to be on that list. There are a ton of terrible D1 jobs.
2) That aside, I can't really argue with much of what he wrote.

351 Division 1 basketball teams in the country, and the team in the 11th largest market in the country is one of the worst 7? He isn't serious is he?

351 Division 1 basketball teams in the country, and the team in the 11th largest market in the country is one of the worst 7? He isn't serious is he?

Yes, a program that averages about 12,000 attendance is a much worse job than some outfit that draws a smattering of fans to a small gym. Got that?

This is Myron's best work. What he has said about Minnesota and TT is right on. You keep saying that Richard didn't have time last year so he didn't bring anybody. This year, you say the same thing. For 2015, what will you say? Minnesota kids don't dream of playing here. Howmany kids from the state are on the roster?

I don't like Myron's writting style but this was a good work.

This is Myron's best work. What he has said about Minnesota and TT is right on. You keep saying that Richard didn't have time last year so he didn't bring anybody. This year, you say the same thing. For 2015, what will you say? Minnesota kids don't dream of playing here. Howmany kids from the state are on the roster?

24f0da3ca9c883ccf23598ff0f04a69cdc9b01ab3bd2bddc469718d951051a7d.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140527_132243.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140527_132243.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 23

lol nice one Myron. I thought your article was garbage.

You keep saying that Richard didn't have time last year so he didn't bring anybody.

Huh? You mean besides the team's MVP DeAndre Mathieu, as well as Minnesota native Joey King? Who is saying that?

You keep saying that Richard didn't have time last year so he didn't bring anybody. This year, you say the same thing.

Huh? You mean besides the six new players he's bringing in? Who is saying this?

Again, you prove to be a fool. Not much more to say about it.

If this article resembles anything close to his Tourney Bold Predictions he does every year, Minnesota should be a blue blood program in no time. Myron is terrible wherever he goes, plain and simple.

I like how he wrote, "Three of the top 30 recruits in the 2014 class per RecruitingNation (Reid Travis, Rashad Vaughn and Tyus Jones) were all from Minnesota. But the Gophers weren't serious players for their services." If that's the case, I sure wish I would have talked to Myron before the Friday that Reid announced. Would have saved me a lot of heart break that day.

Amelia chimed in with her opinion on Myron's article as well if anyone cares, not that she has much to offer either. http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/260796371.html

I'm not sure what Myron said was wrong? The Barn cannot and will never be torn down due to the fanbase. I've never seen a big time school dither for so long trying to build a practice facility. It's been 5 or 6 years now since they've been talking about a new facility...but nothing. Meanwhile, practically every other D1 school has a built a new one.

I'm not sure what Myron said was wrong? The Barn cannot and will never be torn down due to the fanbase. I've never seen a big time school dither for so long trying to build a practice facility. It's been 5 or 6 years now since they've been talking about a new facility...but nothing. Meanwhile, practically every other D1 school has a built a new one.

Well the first sentence about not being a major player for Reid Travis is a start.....

I, too, have a hard time disagreeing with anything he said in justifying his ranking, but I would disagree with the ranking itself. Clearly this isn't one of the seven worst jobs in D1, but it arguably is one of the lesser jobs in the big conferences. This article should have been viewed that way. An article written about the New Orleans/Kennesaw States of the world wouldn't have been nearly as interesting but would have been more accurate.

Just looking within the conference, Northwestern, Penn State, and Rutgers are hands down worse than Minnesota. Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Nebraska are more or less in the same tier as Minnesota. Yes Wisconsin has had a ton of success under Bo, but once he is gone they could easily slip back into the abyss.

Point is, Myron went waaaaay out of his way to trash the University, yet again. He has some kind of obsession with ripping the U in every single article he publishes, even when it seems completely unrelated to the actual topic he is writing about.

"Three of the top 30 recruits in the 2014 class per RecruitingNation (Reid Travis, Rashad Vaughn and Tyus Jones) were all from Minnesota. But the Gophers weren't serious players for their services"
Reid seemingly had one foot in the door at the U. I would have also considered us to have had at least a shot with Rashad until he left for Vegas with his handler. Only 10 of the overall top 50 recruits on 247 stayed in state during 2014, so it's not like MN was the only place it happened.

"That's tied to the perception of a program with a legacy littered by scandals"
Yeah 1997 was bad, but there's nothing other "major" that really distinguishes us so much from other schools. I wouldn't consider our legacy "littered".

"The elite kids in Minnesota don't dream of playing for the Gophers the way that Michigan kids want to play for Tom Izzo and John Beilein"
With a little quick research on 247, of the 4-star or higher recruits out of Michigan in the last two years, only 1 (Derrick Walton) out of the 7 have gone to Michigan or Michigan St. Not exactly eye-popping lately.

"A stubborn fan base will pout if the school decides to overhaul the ancient Williams Arena (constructed in 1928)"
I guess I'm on the side of keeping Williams Arena, not exactly sure why Myron thinks that's a huge problem. I think it's a great home-court advantage and love the atmosphere there during any B1G game. It is much better than places like the newer Bryce Jordan Center that look completely bare.

I agree that some of his points are legit, especially with the practice facility. But to say it's one of the "bad jobs" in college basketball is a stretch in my opinion. The 1997 scandal set us back a lot and the "rebuilding" Monson years didn't really give any of the local kids much to follow. That doesn't mean that success can't or won't happen at Minnesota. We just need to start winning on a consistent basis and the recruits will take notice; I'm confident Richard can do that here and probably quicker than most realize.

I don't know how we landed Pitino. Florida International is a better job than Minnesota according to Myron

Losing 3 top shelf in-state recruits is tough to take, and it's a setback when you don't get 3 other top-100 recruits in their place.

But at the same time, in this day and age the blue bloods are raiding the top-25 prospects every year. OSU lost a top-rated recruit to Duke (Luke Kennard) and will probably lose the other top in-state kid to Kentucky in the 2015 class, and it's not like they have had a bad basketball program. Sign of the times, kids aren't inclined to stay home - maybe they were in the past but certainly now you see a lot of movement. Did James Young dream of playing for MSU or Michigan and then go ahead and pick Kentucky just for the hell of it? I don't accept that there is a connection, or that it makes your school a bad job for blue chip recruits to turn you down.

I don't know how we landed Pitino. Florida International is a better job than Minnesota according to Myron

Obviously, no B1G job is among the 7 worst in D-1. And I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he only meant among 'major' conferences, but he included Mississippi Valley State on the list. Which makes the entire article garbage to begin with. But even among major conferences, MN and Marquette are nowhere near the worst and no valid list of our faults changes that fact. Complete garbage.

When u draw the crowds Minnesota does clearly says this is not even in the bottom half of all D1 schools.

Myron should be fired, but ESPN isn't a journalistic outfit it is sports TMZ where facts don't matter.

Myron, the guy who grew up in Milwaukee, didn't even know which arena Marquette played basketball in. He got it wrong in the article originally, then he went back and changed it after people called him out. Of course, neither he nor ESPN issued a correction.

This is why I don't read anything on ESPN other than box scores and headlines. ESPN is trash.

Where did he originally say they played? That's pretty embarassing all things considered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom