Gopher Basketball better off playing in the NIT this year!!!!....................

froggopher

Reaction score
A young and inexperienced team like Minnesota would profit more in the long run with NIT games. Sorry, but it's the truth!!!! Any naysayers?:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

A young and inexperienced team like Minnesota would profit more in the long run with NIT games. Sorry, but it's the truth!!!! Any naysayers?:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hopefully you're kidding, but if you're serious, it would have been easier for you to just say, "I have no idea what I'm talking about."

Ask the upper classmen and especially the Seniors that question. Likely they say nay.

Plus, playing more home games in THE BARN would be a great plus for our team!! Go Gopher Basketball!!!!!

Young players as in McNeil and King?

Somebody makes this thread every year. This is clearly a joke.

The NIT means nothing to most teams in it. Most teams/fans just go through the motions. Then NCAA tournament is way more important to a program than a run in the NIT. Recruits don't go to a school because they want a chance for a few more home games. They want a chance to make a magical run in March and possibly play for a national championship.

No way we start out in the preseason top 25 last year and with that much momentum if we would have gotten a one and done in the tourney, same for Iowa going into this year.

Son, I've been around the Internet. You're gonna have to troll a helluva lot harder than that.

No way we start out in the preseason top 25 last year and with that much momentum if we would have gotten a one and done in the tourney, same for Iowa going into this year.

This is a good point. I had totally forgotten Iowa made a run last year in the NIT. Oh yeah, this was because they were in the NIT

I don't know who won the NIT last year without looking it up, but I know that Kentucky was bounced in the first round.

A couple years ago I was hoping we'd go to the NIT to get our young squad some extra seasoning, but I don't see how that applies this year? We're mostly upper-classmen and you have to win right now if you can.

Plus, playing more home games in THE BARN would be a great plus for our team!! Go Gopher Basketball!!!!!

Right, the Gophers would so benefit from more home games. We are 3-8 in road/neutral games, they need more road experience and you don't get it sleeping in your own bed and playing in familiar surroundings. Good grief, let's set the bar a bit higher than an inch off the ground!

This discussion comes up every year, and as for me, it is a discussion that deserves talking about.

Goal #1, Go Dancing.
Goal #2, If no #1, then go for a run in the NIT.

Why would the Gophers want to have a step down in competition by playing in the NIT tournament? The B1G season prepares them to play in the NCAA tournament against the best teams in the nation. To be relegated to the NIT is to be told that you now have to play against the teams that were too bad to make it. Having a couple games against inferior teams at the end of the season is essentially like playing spring football...it's just an extra few weeks of practice. For recruiting purposes and for challenge of opposition, there is only one tournament to strive for or to imagine its benefits. That tournament is the NCAA tournament.

No way. When Richard retires from Minnesota 35 years from now he will have the distinction of making the NCAA tourney every year he coached at the U, that to go along with his five National Championships will give a seat next to his father in the hall of fame. Gotta dream Big.

The NIT would be better for Gopher basketball the same way the Texas Bowl was better than going to the Rose Bowl. Not at all.

If we make the NCAA, hopefully we can get a match-up with one of those teams that was hoping to play in the NIT.

If they get into the dance, I would actually not be surprised at all if they win a game. Playing teams who haven't extensively scouted them plays more in the favor of the gophers than most teams IMO.

If they get into the dance, I would actually not be surprised at all if they win a game. Playing teams who haven't extensively scouted them plays more in the favor of the gophers than most teams IMO.

Huh???

Top Bottom