GAME #22: Gophers (15-6, 4-4) v. Northwestern (11-11, 4-5) [BTN, 2/1, 1:00PM)

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Hopefully last night's game got our team's attention. If Northwestern can go into the Kohl Center and win, they can most definitely come into Williams and win if we don't play well. Need to press the entire game.

Here are the current standings. As many of you know, we have a shot at a top 4 finish.

STANDINGS W-L Pct W-L Pct
Michigan 7-0 1.000 15-4 .789
Mich State 8-1 .889 19-2 .905
Iowa 5-3 .625 16-5 .762
Wisconsin 4-4 .500 17-4 .810
Minnesota 4-4 .500 15-6 .714
Northwest 4-5 .444 11-11 .500
Indiana 3-4 .429 13-7 .650
Purdue 3-4 .429 13-7 .650
Ohio State 3-5 .375 16-5 .762
Nebraska 2-5 .286 10-9 .526
Illinois 2-6 .250 13-8 .619
Penn State 2-6 .250 11-10 .524

Here are our remaining games.

@Purdue
Indiana
@Wisconsin
@Northwestern
Illinois
@Ohio State
Iowa
@Michigan
Penn State

I'd say 6 or 7 more wins would clinch a top 4 finish.

Looking at all those remaining games, the key is simply to play hard and play well. If you do, you'll catch one of those teams we're not supposed to beat on an off day, just like when Nebraska played well and caught us and DeAndre on an off night. What remains to be seen is how big, over time, losing Dre turns out to be - and, of course, for how long.

Yeah, we need Dre back in the worst way. If you told me that we could have two wins out of the next four, I'd bite your hand off. Until we get Dre back, every game is going to be a scrap, and we can definitely not afford to overlook anybody.

Yeah, we need Dre back in the worst way. If you told me that we could have two wins out of the next four, I'd bite your hand off. Until we get Dre back, every game is going to be a scrap, and we can definitely not afford to overlook anybody.

+1.

No gimme games for the rest of the season. With or without Dre.

With or without Dre I'm not real worried about Northwestern. I think we matchup well with them and the press can give them trouble. Doesn't matter who we are missing we just can't lose to Northwestern at The Barn.

With Andre out, the key to this team is keeping Mathieu on the floor. Pitino did say on his show Monday that McNeil would get more of the back-up pg minutes and Mav would slide over to sg.

With Andre out, the key to this team is keeping Mathieu on the floor. Pitino did say on his show Monday that McNeil would get more of the back-up pg minutes and Mav would slide over to sg.

Great move Dickie P, Mav is not a sure ball handler and a decent 3 pt shooter.

Great move Dickie P, Mav is not a sure ball handler and a decent 3 pt shooter.

It's amazing to me that if Coach P suggests doing what "I" like, it's a great move. If Coach P does what we experts disagree with, he is a bum. But according to Joe Pesci in the film With Honors, we're all bums.

per Sid:

Wildcats could be test

Two underdogs pulled off road upsets in Big Ten basketball on Wednesday, with Penn State going into Columbus, Ohio, and beating the No. 24 Buckeyes 71-70 in overtime and, even more surprising, Northwestern — a team with an 11-11 overall record and 4-5 in the conference, upsetting No. 14 Wisconsin 65-56 in Madison, Wis.

Northwestern, the Gophers’ opponent at Williams Arena on Saturday, had not won at Wisconsin since 1996. The big thing the Gophers have to be concerned about is the improved Wildcats defense.

After letting Wisconsin shoot 55.2 percent (32-for-58) in an earlier meeting won by the Badgers 76-49 in Evanston, Ill., the Wildcats held the Badgers to a 26.3 percent shooting and 14 points in the paint Wednesday. Former Benilde-St. Margaret’s star Sanjay Lumpkin had two points and 12 rebounds for Northwestern in the game.

So the Gophers (15-6, 4-4 Big Ten) could be in for a tough battle against the Wildcats on Saturday.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/242866361.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

It's amazing to me that if Coach P suggests doing what "I" like, it's a great move. If Coach P does what we experts disagree with, he is a bum. But according to Joe Pesci in the film With Honors, we're all bums.

Who ever called him a bum? And what's wrong with saying he's making a great move if you think he's making a great move?

The jist of that was, 'McNeil's not an ideal PG, but he sucks less than Mav.'

Heading off to St. Andrew's for the day. And I'll get to top it off with the game tonight. Should be a good one and hopefully we get a good showing from our Gophers tonight. I would hope that the barn is too much for northwestern to handle, but you never do know. See you all tonight.

It's a message board, is he not allowed his opinion?
Note that you gave yours.

per Shooter:

Jim Jackson will be BTN analyst for Saturday afternoon's Minnesota-Northwestern game at Williams Arena.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25031577/charley-walters-wilds-craig-leipold-impressed-by-wolves

Go Gophers!!

I'll say this about Jim J. - he sure has been doing well to maintain his neutrality considering he's an OSU great and his son plays for UW. For example, when the Gophers beat UW I could see a slight distress, but he remained totally professional. And I haven't seen any blatant examples of favoritism in his analyses. Didn't see how he reacted the night OSU and UW both lost to bad teams at home, though.

Heading off to St. Andrew's for the day. And I'll get to top it off with the game tonight. Should be a good one and hopefully we get a good showing from our Gophers tonight. I would hope that the barn is too much for northwestern to handle, but you never do know. See you all tonight.

JMWZ - perhaps my reading comprehension of your post is off, but want to make sure you know the game is at 1:00 CST.

Dre Hollins warming up with the team 50 minutes before the game, in uniform. Looks a little timid, as expected. Might play.

Dre Hollins is taking the typical pre-game warm-up drills with his teammates, 27:07 before the game.

So you're saying .. there's a chance?

Really really hope we don't need Dre. I really really want him to heal. Do not want to chance re-injury. I think we have a run ahead of us! :)

Good to hear Dre is participating in warm ups. Gives us hope for Purdue.

Down goes Wiscy. I think Austin really steps it up and has a great game today.

EE really needs to work on his post moves. He's been really struggling on offense.

"The shooter's touch for Oto."

Mark those down as words I never imagined I'd hear in real life.

Top Bottom