GAME #12: Gophers (9-2) v. Nebraska-Omaha (??) [12/20, BTN, 8:00PM]

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Another tune up before conference play. Most curious to see how deep Pitino will go in the first half. I'm expecting McNeil to be one of the first few off the bench, he has been playing well. Would like to see a decent amount of playing time for Buggs and Wally with the hope that they start to show consistency before conference play starts. If they don't then we likely won't see them much if at all for the rest of the year.

And obviously, NO INJURIES!

Nebraska-Omaha have a nice team. Gophers need to be up and ready for a 1st half battle after a long layoff. Another test for leadership from the Hollins!

Nebraska-Omaha have a nice team. Gophers need to be up and ready for a 1st half battle after a long layoff. Another test for leadership from the Hollins!

This will be a good game. They lost to Iowa by 8 at Iowa. They are 8-3 and beat Nevada in their last game. No push over.

Would love to see the bench get more action as well but I have a feeling we won't see much of those guys this game. This game could be a lot closer than many expect.

gophersports link (Minnesota (9-2) vs. Nebraska-Omaha (8-3))

"
• Minnesota matches up with Nebraska-Omaha for the first time. It is the second straight game for the Gophers against a Summit League opponent after last Tuesday’s 75-59 win over South Dakota State.
• On Tuesday against the Jackrabbits, Minnesota saw two players post double-doubles for the first time in more than three years. Austin Hollins had 20 points and 14 rebounds, while Elliott Eliason added 10 points and 12 rebounds. The last time two Gophers had double-doubles in the same game was Nov. 12, 2010 against Wofford (Ralph Sampson III – 20 pts., 13 rbs.; Trevor Mbakwe – 14 pts., 10 rbs.).
• Austin Hollins was selected the Big Ten Player of the Week on Monday after his performance against SDSU, his first weekly honor and the first of the year for the Gophers. Hollins became the 37th member of Minnesota’s 1,000-point club in the game, and now has 1,003 for his career.
• Minnesota had six players finish Saturday’s game against New Orleans in double-figures - Andre Hollins (18), Austin Hollins (13), DeAndre Mathieu (11), Mo Walker (11), Joey King (10) & Oto Osenieks (10). It was the first time since Dec. 23, 2009 against South Dakota State - Blake Hoffarber (16), Lawrence Westbrook (12), Devoe Joseph (11), Paul Carter (10), Damian Johnson (10), Al Nolen (10) - that a Gopher team finished with six double-digit scorers.
• The Golden Gopher program has not had a pair of players reach the 1,000-point plateau in the same season since the trio of Randy Carter, Voshon Lenard and Arriel McDonald did so during the 1993-94 season. With Austin Hollins accomplishing the feat, Dre Hollins should soon follow as he enters Friday’s game with 994 career points.
"
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121913aab.html

Vegas Insider has us as a 15.5 point favorite right now. A little higher than I expected.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Coach Pitino on Nebraska Omaha: "They are one of the best offensive teams that we've played thus far." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/413765263247409152">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

The Nitty Gritty on Omaha

RPI and projections courtesy of WarrenNolan.com. Warren Nolan very soon may pass Jerry Palm as my go-to site for all the latest RPI information.

OMAHA
Current RPI = 93
Current SOS ranking = 221
Current D-I record = 6-3

Projected RPI = 78
Projected SOS ranking = 268
Projected D-I record = 19-8

3-3 on the road.

On a 3-game winning streak vs. D-I opponents.

0-2 vs. the RPI top 50, the losses coming by a combined 16 points.

D-I Opponents/RPI/Results
@ Northern Illinois (#180), W, 68-66
@ Iowa (#30), L, 75-83
Kansas City (#123), W, 101-71
@ UNLV (#124), L, 70-73
South Carolina State (#322), W, 91-59
@ Drake (#49), L, 80-88
@ South Carolina State (#322), W, 83-67
Cal State-Bakersfield (#231), W, 93-88
@ Nevada (#176), W, 82-80

They have a great chucker in Justin Simmons, who takes 31% of the team's shots when he's on the floor but is hitting just 28%. He has games this year where he's shot 0-9, 2-13, and 3-12. Should be fun.

This has to be an Al Davis kind of game...Just Win Baby! (And stay healthy)

I don't know why there isn't a record in the title for Omaha, they're a legitimate team. I fully expect the Gophers to struggle at some point like they have against nearly every opponent at some point of every game. An 8 point loss to Iowa (we'll be lucky to keep it to 8 this year on the road), a win over Nevada, and two close games with UNLV and Drake.

Rostampour, a 6-8 junior who has become the Mavs’ on-floor enforcer, has a bigger cause.

“I’ve been waiting my whole life to get them back,” he said. “A lot of kids growing up in Minnesota are underrated. So when you’re a Minnesota kid you want to come back and beat the Gophers for not recruiting you hard enough.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131219/MAVS/131229953/1001#feisty-mavs-get-a-golden-opportunity

That kid is something else, he is at his 3rd school and the reason the Gophers never wanted him is the fact he isn't very good. This has me pumped up for this game now. He left St. Cloud where he didn't even start most of the season and averaged about 8 points and 4 rebounds. I can't believe how much he is actually playing down there so I will take the U by 25 tonight. Just because he will be on the floor a lot.

GO GOPHERS!!!!

Rostampour, a 6-8 junior who has become the Mavs’ on-floor enforcer, has a bigger cause.

“I’ve been waiting my whole life to get them back,” he said. “A lot of kids growing up in Minnesota are underrated. So when you’re a Minnesota kid you want to come back and beat the Gophers for not recruiting you hard enough.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131219/MAVS/131229953/1001#feisty-mavs-get-a-golden-opportunity

Oh ya? Whom is he going to cross check into the bleachers tonight? I hope he goes after Big Mo!!!

Big Mo will make mince meat out of him.

I hope he goes after Mo, too. Mo has ability, but it just seems like he's too nice of a guy out there. Maybe someone trying to get under his skin will pi** him off a little bit and we'll see fire coming out of his ears.

I hope he goes after Mo, too. Mo has ability, but it just seems like he's too nice of a guy out there. Maybe someone trying to get under his skin will pi** him off a little bit and we'll see fire coming out of his ears.

You are so polite in what you really wanna see from Big Mo.

Hm. I say let's send in Austin Hollins to go beast mode on him.

Coming out with a lot of energy. I think we're going to have a great 1st half.

Flushing the BB isn't against Eliason's religion or anything like that is it?

This is the worst kind of game. UNO is pretty good. We could lose. Yet we'll get to credit for beating them.

I said it could be tough. Where's that idiot who said we'd win by 25?

Top Bottom