What happened to the progression of Andre Hollins?

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
After elevating his game in the NIT, and then his 41 point outburst vs. Memphis, I was expecting a huge season from him. Or at least continue to get better.
I'm sure team's are scouting him and coming up with good schematics to shut him down.

But for a team that struggles to score, I would like for him to force the issue more with driving. Maybe drawing some contact. And I don't mean the off balance, step back jumper.

This team needs Dre to step up in the worst way. This should be his team.

He is a Sophomore, still developing, and will bring up his level eventually to your over expectations of him.

I know what you mean. He has an uncanny ability to make the tough shot, but he has had a hard time lately, getting easy open looks. Better defense in the Big Ten and the other teams not having to pay as much attention to Coleman and Williams...

I've kind of thought about this myself. His shot isn't exactly on point as of late, and honestly, most of our success directly correlates to his ability to make shots. If he's off, our offense is not very good. If he's on, we're tough to beat on most occasions. His last three games have been tough shooting wise, not sure what it is. But if we're gonna win Thursday, we'll need him to show out like he did in Madison earlier (with the hope that he'll get more help this time around).

I don't really put blame on him though, when the offense isn't flowing and moving, it's gonna be hard for him to get looks cause they can just stand there and key on him. If the other four guys help him out, he can get his looks.

He is a Sophomore, still developing, and will bring up his level eventually to your over expectations of him.

In OP's defense, I would hope most of us have higher expectations of what we've seen in the last couple weeks. I certainly hope Dre does.

I know he's the point guard, and Tubby probably emphasizes him to facilitate without forcing turnovers. But, he's our best shooter and I think he needs to put ball up at least twelve times (and I'm not counting free throw attempts) a game.

Even when he scored 41, I think he only had 16 field goal attempts. I think he's too passive and Tubby needs to help create shots for him and also help him out on defensive end (when in man-to-man) by having him guard weakest guard link on opponents team from time to time (helps with foul trouble and maybe get more of a breather). As much as I don't like Mav, I actually don't mind when Mav and Dre are on the floor together.

Random thoughts...but, bottom line is he needs to be THE focal point for the offense.

I would like to see him more aggressive off the dribble. No reason he can't try to take it to the rim more often. He's going to be just fine though. I'm not worried about his progression.

I would like to see him more aggressive off the dribble. No reason he can't try to take it to the rim more often. He's going to be just fine though. I'm not worried about his progression.

Agreed. He just needs to look for the pass when he drives too and not just force a shot. Joe is especially terrible at this.

Agreed. He just needs to look for the pass when he drives too and not just force a shot. Joe is especially terrible at this.

Agreed. I think him driving more will result in more scoring, whether he's the one doing it or if he's dishing off to someone else. Hell, even if he misses the layup there's a good chance we'll get the offensive rebound.

With Mbakwe and Williams gone next year, I fully expect this to be "Andre's team." Meaning he will take control and be the leader.

He's a natural 2 guard, so it makes sense that he isn't able to drive into the paint and score as much. I don't think his ball handling and passing ability is good enough yet to be a serious threat off the dribble.

He's a natural 2 guard, so it makes sense that he isn't able to drive into the paint and score as much. I don't think his ball handling and passing ability is good enough yet to be a serious threat off the dribble.

It's definitely good enough to be more of a threat off the dribble than he has been.

This team clearly has some issues, but the progression of Andre Hollins isn't one of them. In 11 Big Ten games this season, Hollins has scored 20+ four times. He has scored 11+ four additional times. He has scored in single digits three times. He is the 9th leading scorer in the entire conference, 2nd in FT%, and 5th in 3pt%. He needs to work on assist/TO ratio and other things, but, remember, he's a sophomore trying to run an offense designed from the early 1980s. I'd say he's doing almost as well as could be expected.

For further breakout as to his "progression," let have a look:

BIG TEN GAMES (Freshman Yr listed 1st/Sophomore Yr listed 2nd):

POINTS PER GAME: 7.2 (FR) - 14.8 (SO)
REBOUNDS/GAME: 1.6 (FR) - 3.5 (SO)
FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE: 36% (FR) - 42% (SO)
3 POINGT FG PERCENTAGE: 38% (FR) - 43% (SO)
ASST/TO RATIO: .82 (FR) - 1.22 (SO) (higher # better, neither is good, the first is terrible, but he's getting better)

but, remember, he's a sophomore trying to run an offense designed from the early 1980s. I'd say he's doing almost as well as could be expected.

LOL.

You make a good point, and he has gotten better, as your stats prove.

I guess my point is he has the ability to take over games and he should try to do so. This team is offensively challenged. I guess I wouldn't mind if he became a ball hog. I respect the fact he lets the game come to him. But on this team with a 1980's offense, that isn't going to work.

This is what happens when you miscast a player in a role they are not suited for.

I commend Dre for actually cutting down his turnovers since the NW game. Only problem is, he's playing scared now. Scared to take shots, scared to drive and turn it over and just scared in general.

Whoever we hire after the season needs to bring in a ball-handling, pass first PG...Probably from a JUCO considering its too late to get a 2013 HS grad.

This is what happens when you miscast a player in a role they are not suited for.

I commend Dre for actually cutting down his turnovers since the NW game. Only problem is, he's playing scared now. Scared to take shots, scared to drive and turn it over and just scared in general.

Whoever we hire after the season needs to bring in a ball-handling, pass first PG...Probably from a JUCO considering its too late to get a 2013 HS grad.

So when Tubby is back next season will you not post at all?

Personally I think Andre can be a very good PG. Kemba Walker, Nolan Smith, Russell Westbrook, etc. proved you don't need to be "pass-first" to win at PG.

I think the biggest issue is the offense, and I put that more on Tubby than Dre.

The last couple of games, his shooting form just looks off. He's not setting up and shooting with good form and balance. It looks like he's rushing his shot, and aiming the ball rather than letting the offense come to him and shooting in good rhythm.

Having said that, everyone goes through slumps. I hope that's all it is. But, like others, I feel that Dre, Austin, Rodney and Joe are all much more effective in a wide-open attacking style of offense. Dre is a very talented player, but I'm not sure he's a PG in a half-court offensive style. Somehow, somewhere, the U (regardless of who is coach), needs to find a true, pass-1st point guard in the HS or JUCO ranks.

Personally I think Andre can be a very good PG. Kemba Walker, Nolan Smith, Russell Westbrook, etc. proved you don't need to be "pass-first" to win at PG.

I think the biggest issue is the offense, and I put that more on Tubby than Dre.

+1

What are you talking about? PG is a role Dre is not suited for...seriously?

What are you talking about? PG is a role Dre is not suited for...seriously?

No, its really not his best position....Can he play it better with hard work and by improving his left hand? Of course!

Did you see him almost decapitate EE with that pass on Sunday? Or the turnover in the paint against Iowa when he jumped and tried to dump it off to Trev? He has way too many of those kind of plays in comparison to the nice bounce pass he fed to Trev on Sunday for the dunk after he had beaten his man. Illinois has some of the worst defensive guards in the league and he struggled to get free with dribble penetration. He would be so much better at the 2 spot, with a pass first PG drawing defenses to him. Dre can really shoot but he needs to get his feet set and have a little space...Its hard to do for Point Guards who handle the ball all the time.

Look at how much better Hulls has been this year for IU now that they have Yogi running the point.

Dre is learning on the job how to play point guard at the expense of the team. This will help him professionally and he should be a capable combo by the time he is a senior. Finding a quick penetrating point guard that can finish and apply pressure on the ball can't be impossible to find. Think how much easier it would be for our two dynamic finishers if a guard would routinely get a piece of the paint and dish. We are left with a high post feed as the only way to get the ball down low in the half court. Comparing Dre to Westbrook is more than a stretch. Westbrook may not be a great passer , but he is a dynamic athlete and puts so much pressure on the defense with his aggressive attacks on the rim which opens up things for other players. He is also a great on the ball defender, excellent in passing lanes, and very disruptive. These qualities supercede his lack of true point guard skills.

No, its really not his best position....Can he play it better with hard work and by improving his left hand? Of course!

Did you see him almost decapitate EE with that pass on Sunday? Or the turnover in the paint against Iowa when he jumped and tried to dump it off to Trev? He has way too many of those kind of plays in comparison to the nice bounce pass he fed to Trev on Sunday for the dunk after he had beaten his man. Illinois has some of the worst defensive guards in the league and he struggled to get free with dribble penetration. He would be so much better at the 2 spot, with a pass first PG drawing defenses to him. Dre can really shoot but he needs to get his feet set and have a little space...Its hard to do for Point Guards who handle the ball all the time.

Look at how much better Hulls has been this year for IU now that they have Yogi running the point.
About the same but nice try.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/46239/jordan-hulls

Indiana is a much better team with Yogi, a true point guard, running the point which is undeniable. A true point on this team would propably have same effect.

Hulls has been better this year. His eFG% is the exact same as last year, turnovers way down.. assist rate steady.

As for Dre Hollins, have touched on the effect two games have on his stats this year a couple of times... those two games were against teams that weren't playing their normal PG.

Andre Hollins: A Tale of Two... Games? on December 7, 2012

Looks more pretty at the link above, but here's a partial cut & paste.. Soph = the 8 games at that point in time excluding the Memphis & SDSU games.

PPG eFG% 2FG% 3FG% FT%
Soph 9.3 35.4% 37.5% 21.9% 74.1%
Fresh 8.7 48.2% 40.5% 37.9% 90.4%

Other notes about these eight games:

Has not scored above full season average of 14 in any of these games
Has posted an Offensive Rating of less than 94 in half of these games
In his four roughest shooting outings, Dre’s eFG% was 17.2% (5/29 FG; 0/13 3FG)
Of those four, two have occurred in the Gophers’ last four games played
------------

Another article on January 24, 2013 titled Doing the Splits: Minnesota's Andre Hollins again looked back at his season to date excl'g the odd (Joe Jackson for just a few few minutes; Nate Wolters out w/injury, true freshman getting the minutes) Memphis & SDSU games.

Pts/40 eFG% 2FG% 3FG% FT%
Soph, All Other 16.9 47.2% 43.2% 34.2% 74.2%
Freshman 16.5 48.2% 40.5% 37.9% 90.4%
Even after 19 games, it’s apparent what a big factor the Memphis and South Dakota State games have on Dre’s 2012-13 statistics.

This team clearly has some issues, but the progression of Andre Hollins isn't one of them. In 11 Big Ten games this season, Hollins has scored 20+ four times. He has scored 11+ four additional times. He has scored in single digits three times. He is the 9th leading scorer in the entire conference, 2nd in FT%, and 5th in 3pt%. He needs to work on assist/TO ratio and other things, but, remember, he's a sophomore trying to run an offense designed from the early 1980s. I'd say he's doing almost as well as could be expected.

For further breakout as to his "progression," let have a look:

BIG TEN GAMES (Freshman Yr listed 1st/Sophomore Yr listed 2nd):

POINTS PER GAME: 7.2 (FR) - 14.8 (SO)
REBOUNDS/GAME: 1.6 (FR) - 3.5 (SO)
FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE: 36% (FR) - 42% (SO)
3 POINGT FG PERCENTAGE: 38% (FR) - 43% (SO)
ASST/TO RATIO: .82 (FR) - 1.22 (SO) (higher # better, neither is good, the first is terrible, but he's getting better)

Good stats. It does show improvement. If he progresses at this level going forward, most people will be very happy with that.

They hedge hard on Hollins when he does the pick and roll.... taking away the drive and the jumper. A lot of times he has to over dribble to create space to get his jumper off. He makes tough shots. You can say he dribbles to much at times but it is out of necessity because of the Gophers lack of shot makers.

He has a real good jumper but he rarely gets easy looks and part of that is they double him on the perimeter because Rodney and Joe Coleman dont have to be guarded past 12 feet because they cant shott. Actually Coleman outside 8 feet..

If Ellenson develops and cant stick some outside shots it will help Dre the next two years..

The stats clearly show that his point guard skills are improving and wil continue to improve with the amount of experience he is getting. However, he is not a natural and has a long way to become one of the top point guards in the league. He is already one of the elite shooting guards in the conference. True point guards run the team and make their teammates better. Tubby is rolling the dice that he will become a great college point guard which may or may not happen. I would not take that risk and recruit a legitimate point that could hit the ground running in case this experiment does not work.

Top Bottom