Myron Takes Shot at Gophers

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask.../74873/poll-thoughts-can-indiana-stay-at-no-1

Minnesota is way too high at No. 18. I’m not even sure the Gophers deserve a ranking. They escaped Sunday’s win over Iowa via Austin Hollins’ 3-pointer in the final seconds. But the Gophers were outplayed for the bulk of a matchup against a 3-6 Big Ten team. They’ve lost to Northwestern and Wisconsin in recent weeks. And they should have lost to the Hawkeyes. I watched the game Sunday. The Gophers didn’t look like the 18th-best team in America. That’s too high in my book.

Myron, since we're amongst friends here, we're not even sure you deserve a national college basketball writing job.

It's a fair point given our recent struggles although I fail to see how a loss at Wisconsin should be some kind of badge of shame (for the team's reputation - not from a fan standpoint). We have one totally unexpected loss to this point (@ Northwestern), one closer-than-it-should-have-been win (vs Iowa), and the rest aren't really unexpected.

If he discounts us for winning close against Iowa, shouldn't he give us more cred for losing close @ Indiana?

Sorry Myron, the rankings are not based on how a team played in the last week. They take into account the body of work in season so far.

It took Myron longer to take a shot at the Gophers than it did for me, so I am in no position to disagree with him. I hope they start playing well soon.

"They escaped Sundays win over Iowa..." Allow me to paraphrase for you Myron. The Gophers defeated Iowa on Sunday. Teams don't fall in the rankings for winning basketball games. I don't like considering margin of victory at all. I think that the ability to pull one out in the clutch is just as an important of a skill for a basketball team as the ability to roll over a 3-6 opponent.

How many other ranked college basketball teams have lost to unranked teams? Indiana lost to that same Wisonsin team at home so are they too high at #1? Plus when do you punish a team for a win even if it is an ugly win?

Get a life Myron.

I agree with Myron 100%!

This is a time of year when many teams are improving and the Gophers are stagnating. All too familiar theme, isn't it?

Myron, since we're amongst friends here, we're not even sure you deserve a national college basketball writing job.

QFT

I was incredibly shocked when I found out ESPN had hired him. I thought Marcus did a much better job covering the team.

I agree with Myron 100%!

This is a time of year when many teams are improving and the Gophers are stagnating. All too familiar theme, isn't it?

We get it, dude. You're down on the Gophers. You think they're terrible, and they've got a terrible coaching staff. Can't you just copy and paste these refrains into a word document or something, instead of inflicting them on us?

Yes, 4 losses in a row probably didn't damage us quite as hard as they could have in the polls, but the moving in the polls has to take into account the context of teams performing around them, as well their body of work (as has already been stated). You also don't punish a team in the polls because they barely win a game. The only bad loss he lists is Northwestern, which was the low water mark. Losing by a point to a respectable Wisconsin club on the road is hardly cause for dumping us in the top 25.

Myron knows all this, doesn't he? (rhetorical question)

Myron once again forgetting that there have to be 25 teams in the top 25.

How many other ranked college basketball teams have lost to unranked teams? Indiana lost to that same Wisonsin team at home so are they too high at #1? Plus when do you punish a team for a win even if it is an ugly win?

Get a life Myron.

Earlier this year Arizona dropped a spot in the rankings after going 2-0 one week. Their first win was when the officials snatched victory away from Colorado, and they beat an unranked Utah team, which is now 2-7 in Pac-12 play, at home by 3, and they dropped from #3 to #4. So it would seem you can drop from winning ugly, but you have win REALLY ugly and do it twice in the same week. We beat Nebraska by 19. Agree that we absolutely shouldn't drop in the standings because Austin Hollins hit a big shot to win the game. Also, of Iowa's 8 losses, 4 of them are to teams that are currently top 15 (5 if you count Wichita State who was #15 last week and dropped all the way out this week).

I don't think we're the #18 team in the country. To many turnovers, inconsistent shooting, mental breakdowns, and a weak bench. If we end up 10-8 in the conference I'll feel good. Remember men, we only play Penn State once.

Myron once again forgetting that there have to be 25 teams in the top 25.

+1. Ask Myron to name the 7 teams that should be ranked ahead of them and why. He won't be able to do it. Or he'll say 'Kentucky, UCLA and NC...because they're Kentucky, UCLA and NC.'

I agree with Myron 100%!

You mean teams like Kansas, Syracuse, Oregon, Wichita St, Marquette, and San Diego St.?

Right now we're a Top 25 team without a doubt in my mind. There's no teams not ranked that jump out to me as being better (or at least having a better resume right now). Teams 17-25 are pretty much equal as far as I'm concerned.

"And they should have lost to the Hawkeyes."

Should have lost? What kind of asinine statement is that? I don't even know where to start with that. You penalize a team because you think they shouldn't have won a game? I guess by that logic they "should have" beaten Wisconsin. They didn't play well against Iowa but they played well enough to win the game. What about that should imply they should have lost? Because Hollins hit a three pointer that happened to be within the final 15 seconds of the game? If anything they "should have" won by even more, but that's not how this all works.

NOPE. MINNESOTA SUCKS. THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE WON. IN FACT THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE BEATEN ANYONE THIS YEAR. IN MY EYES THEY'RE BASICALLY WINLESS. WHAT'S A WINLESS TEAM DOING IN THE TOP 25 ANYWAYS?

If Myron was in charge then Butler would have beaten Duke for the national championship because Hayward's half-court heave "should have" gone in.

This just in from Joe Esposito via Twitter:

@Coach_JEsposito: Today's RPI #8 SOS #3 which is the top Strength of Schedule in the Big Ten.

@Coach_JEsposito: We have beaten 12 teams with an RPI in the top 100. Most wins vs top 100 RPI teams in the nation. Great spot to be in on Feb 4th.

Sounds like a top 25 team to me.

Oh Myron, how I miss those blog entries that quoted Royce White's uncle (either Frank or Rico)...so much insight I got from those.

we didn't look like #18.. no doubt.

becoming way too reliant on Andre.. just like we were too reliant on Hoff to save us..

i'd like to see more 2-man games... or hi/low.. something that doesn't involve andre for a change.

When I look at other teams in that lower top 25 (just random watching when a game is on), no one looks all that great. Teams are losing to unranked teams left and right. When you look at our results this year, it's hard to justify not placing us in the top 25 considering what teams around us are doing. Yes, the team hasn't been balling at the same level it was over the last couple weeks, but outside of the Northwestern and Iowa games, they've pretty much looked like a top 25 team to me. Our losses aren't that bad....so far. Obviously some clean up needs to take place or else we will take more of those bad L's, but up until this point, I don't see how we wouldn't be in the top 25.

Does Myron have a ballot? I'd like to see the 25 teams he has placed in front of the Gophers.

Does Myron have a ballot? I'd like to see the 25 teams he has placed in front of the Gophers.

Exactly...did he see how the teams who were in front of the Gophers played last week? Say what you will about an ugly win at least we won. A ton of ranked teams fell last week so how don't we deserve to jump a few of them?

Why am I not surprised he has Wisconsin in his top 25 lol. Believe me, I get it, they're "hotter" right now (even though they're 2-3 in their last five themselves), but goodness they have 7 losses. We have 5 already and that's a lot for a top 25 team, let alone 7 of them. There are better options if you're gonna slip the Gophs out.

I have no problem with him feeling that way. I generally feel that the top 25 should be the 25 best teams (for example, you shouldn't necessarily drop after a loss or something, depending on who it was to). If he doesn't feel like we are, that's fine with me. I would disagree. I'd have us right in the 22-25 range.

Also, I kinda don't like that coach E is complaining about it to him... just seems a bit embarrassing and beneath him to complain to the media like that.

Why am I not surprised he has Wisconsin in his top 25 lol. Believe me, I get it, they're "hotter" right now (even though they're 2-3 in their last five themselves), but goodness they have 7 losses. We have 5 already and that's a lot for a top 25 team, let alone 7 of them. There are better options if you're gonna slip the Gophs out.

I love how he also lists the Wisconsin last second loss as a reason why we aren't a top 25 team. Can't have it both ways Myron.

Let's see.....

#1 ranked conference in the country in terms of RPI

Through 9 BT games, the Gophers have lost to ONE team in the lower half of the Big Ten, on the road. Lost one game at home, to the #1 ranked team in the country.

Yup, it's time to panic....

I can't believe there were actually people that defended Myron "P" Medcalf (always loved how he needed to use the middle initial) when he had the Gophers gig.

We get it, dude. You're down on the Gophers. You think they're terrible, and they've got a terrible coaching staff. Can't you just copy and paste these refrains into a word document or something, instead of inflicting them on us?

Thank you for taking up the cause. He's wore me down.

Top Bottom