Time to flip the switch and drain the tub

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
This I know: We can't go into next season without either firing Tubby or signing an extension. Having a coach in limbo will not be good for recruiting.

Tubbys lack of success here boils down to signed players not sticking around, getting kicked out and trevors injury. It is to soon to say these issues are chronic to tubby smiths coaching coaching/recruiting style. I think Tubby needs to get more more skin in the if he gets an extension. Less guaranteed $$$ more pay for performance/incentives. If Tubby balks cut him Loose. He deserved a sweet deal coming in here now its time for tubby to assume some risk. THE SCOUT!

Tubbys lack of success here boils down to signed players not sticking around, getting kicked out and trevors injury. It is to soon to say these issues are chronic to tubby smiths coaching coaching/recruiting style. I think Tubby needs to get more more skin in the if he gets an extension. Less guaranteed $$$ more pay for performance/incentives. If Tubby balks cut him Loose. He deserved a sweet deal coming in here now its time for tubby to assume some risk. THE SCOUT!

I don't have any evidence to suggest that the injuries are chronic to Tubby's coaching style. The injury to Trevor happened on a pretty benign play. As for the transfers, let's see what happens this offseason. I have been suspecting that transfers out have been at least partially the product of Tubby, if he loses any key players this summer, I think I will have seen enough to accept the hypothesis that something about Tubby is driving players out of the program.

This I know: We can't go into next season without either firing Tubby or signing an extension. Having a coach in limbo will not be good for recruiting.

I'm not sure at this point you really have any other alternatives, you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. At this point the damage has been done, you need to look at a five or six year plan, I would delay any extension to at least mid season next year to get an idea of where things are headed. If it causes a problem with 2013 recruiting so be it, you are already going to be taking a big hit in attendance next year anyway. If you make any change you are looking at two years minimum to recover and probably three. I wouldn't expect much from the program until 2015 or 2016 no matter what happens.

I have been suspecting that transfers out have been at least partially the product of Tubby, if he loses any key players this summer, I think I will have seen enough to accept the hypothesis that something about Tubby is driving players out of the program.

If he loses one or two key players in the offseason, you may as well start over so that you don't repeat the scenario again when Tubby does finally leave

No extension. Recruiting can't get worse. He has two years left. Giving an extension will send the wrong message to a very disinterested fan base. The vast majority of Gopher fans want him gone or at the very least not given an extension.

The gophs should extend Tubby, worst case they don't mean anything, sometimes if done right they can make canning a bad coach easier i.e Brewster, while giving the coach the security blanket for recruiting. I think Tubby deserves to see it through the end with the current group on the roster and quite frankley, his name is the only thing that even keeps guys like Jones and Vaughn interested in the U.

Reading this blog despite your best efforts Minngg I would say you're in the minority, itmay seem the other way because the minority is always the loudest

The gophs should extend Tubby, worst case they don't mean anything, sometimes if done right they can make canning a bad coach easier i.e Brewster, while giving the coach the security blanket for recruiting. I think Tubby deserves to see it through the end with the current group on the roster and quite frankley, his name is the only thing that even keeps guys like Jones and Vaughn interested in the U.

With all due respect. Tubby has no chance at Tyus and Vaughn. They do not want to play in this pitiful offense. Tubby deserves the contract that he has which has two more years. If they extend him, believe me, there will be outrage. Ticket sales will be affected. People are fed up.

Reading this blog despite your best efforts Minngg I would say you're in the minority, itmay seem the other way because the minority is always the loudest

You obviously haven't been to the barn lately. Obviously haven't been listening to talk shows. haven't been to comments sections of newspapers. Haven't seen the polls (although not scientific). The common thread is that it is time to cut the cord with Tubby. It's not me.

Although I would like to see Flip here some day, I'm still willing to give Tubby some more time.

But had to stop by and say great thread title.

In a recent Star Tribune poll (unscientific) over 2800 voted. 84% voted for no extension or firing Tubby. Doesn't sound like a minority to me.

minngg said:
In a recent Star Tribune poll (unscientific) over 2800 voted. 84% voted for no extension or firing Tubby. Doesn't sound like a minority to me.

There are only two opinions that matter though, president Kaler and the athletic director. Same as those people who wanted Gardy fired didn't get their way, no matter how many of them there are.

With all due respect. Tubby has no chance at Tyus and Vaughn. They do not want to play in this pitiful offense. Tubby deserves the contract that he has which has two more years. If they extend him, believe me, there will be outrage. Ticket sales will be affected. People are fed up.

Holy crap. I forgot the reseating.

SIGN TUBBY NOW!!!

There are only two opinions that matter though, president Kaler and the athletic director. Same as those people who wanted Gardy fired didn't get their way, no matter how many of them there are.

You're right. But ticket holders and fans can let their feelings be known. People have already shown their feelings by their apathy towards this team. I talk to alumni and encourage them to write letters and let their thoughts be known. You cannot hide displeasure of a coaches performance. Maturi turned a deaf ear but he will be gone so there is hope.

Star Tribune commentators are some of the most uninformed fans out there. Seriously, I read them to get a laugh on a daily basis. You can't use them as a source. Fans only comment on the trib when they want to be negative; it's consistent negativity from Section A-D.

Star Tribune commentators are some of the most uninformed fans out there. Seriously, I read them to get a laugh on a daily basis. You can't use them as a source. Fans only comment on the trib when they want to be negative; it's consistent negativity from Section A-D.

Yes, and fans on here are some of the biggest homers. Let's be honest. The number of contributors on here is down substantially because of lack of interest. How do you think they feel about Tubby?

“@NadineBabu: Chatting it up with some nice (and actually normal) Kentucky fans at the pool. They liked Tubby, but said he was too nice to be a HC.”

Yes, and fans on here are some of the biggest homers. Let's be honest. The number of contributors on here is down substantially because of lack of interest. How do you think they feel about Tubby?

Well yeah, it's a website dedicated to Gopher fans?

+1

First off I'm not trolling. I am sure some members of this board will take the following post concerning tubby's record at UK for what it's worth, simply the facts concerning Tubby's performance at his previous job. I know others are going to go berserk and flame me. I can deal with that, half of the UK fans including myself dealt with that for the last 5 years he was at UK but it did diminish yearly as the good folks of the Commonwealth accepted reality. As a side note I would like to mention that for tubby's first three years at UK he was voted the most popular man in Kentucky in 3 straight yearly polls. Contrary to popular opinion, or I should say convenient opinion; the citizens of Kentucky are no more racist than the rest of America.

Tubby's record at UK:
*Set the school record for consecutive years (9) not appearing in the Final Four
*First coach to have 2 consecutive 10+ loss seasons.
*First coach to have 3 consecutive 10+ loss seasons.
*First coach to have 5 10+ loss seasons.
*First time failing to beat a ranked opponent since 1974.
*First time losing four straight to an SEC opponent since 1980.
*First time losing five straight to an SEC opponent since 1977.
*First time ever losing six straight to an SEC opponent.
*Most Home losses than any UK coach
*First season sweep by Vanderbilt in 32 years.
*First time since 1974 losing 4 straight to Vanderbilt and only the second time in UK history.
*First loss to Ole Miss in Lexington since 1927.
*First (and only) coach to have 4 SEC losses in one year in Rupp Arena.
*Most losses over a two year period (outside of probation) in UK history
*Worst home loss since 1992 (105-88 to Arkansas).
*Worst loss to Indiana ever (26 points)
*Worst Senior Day loss since 1919.
*First third place SEC finish since expansion.
*First fourth place SEC finish since expansion.
*First time going an entire regular season without beating a ranked opponent since 1974.
*First and Second time UK played on the opening day of the SEC Tournament since the league split into divisional play (1992).
*First time since 1936 not getting to the SEC tourney finals in consecutive years.
*First time since the NCAA tourney was expanded to 64 teams in 1984 that UK did not get past the second round in consecutive seasons.
*First time since the NCAA tourney was expanded to 64 teams in 1984 that UK did not get past the second round in 3 out of 4 seasons.
*First coach never to have either an athletic or academic All-American.
*Worst number of weeks having a team ranked #1 (1).
*First time (except probation) UK finished back to back seasons unranked since 1959-1961 (46 years).
*47% of players do not see their Senior year at UK.
*Fewest NBA draft picks of any coach with at least 5 years (only 2 1st rounders in 10 years)

First off I'm not trolling. I am sure some members of this board will take the following post concerning tubby's record at UK for what it's worth, simply the facts concerning Tubby's performance at his previous job. I know others are going to go berserk and flame me. I can deal with that, half of the UK fans including myself dealt with that for the last 5 years he was at UK but it did diminish yearly as the good folks of the Commonwealth accepted reality. As a side note I would like to mention that for tubby's first three years at UK he was voted the most popular man in Kentucky in 3 straight yearly polls. Contrary to popular opinion, or I should say convenient opinion; the citizens of Kentucky are no more racist than the rest of America.

Tubby's record at UK:
*Set the school record for consecutive years (9) not appearing in the Final Four
*First coach to have 2 consecutive 10+ loss seasons.
*First coach to have 3 consecutive 10+ loss seasons.
*First coach to have 5 10+ loss seasons.
*First time failing to beat a ranked opponent since 1974.
*First time losing four straight to an SEC opponent since 1980.
*First time losing five straight to an SEC opponent since 1977.
*First time ever losing six straight to an SEC opponent.
*Most Home losses than any UK coach
*First season sweep by Vanderbilt in 32 years.
*First time since 1974 losing 4 straight to Vanderbilt and only the second time in UK history.
*First loss to Ole Miss in Lexington since 1927.
*First (and only) coach to have 4 SEC losses in one year in Rupp Arena.
*Most losses over a two year period (outside of probation) in UK history
*Worst home loss since 1992 (105-88 to Arkansas).
*Worst loss to Indiana ever (26 points)
*Worst Senior Day loss since 1919.
*First third place SEC finish since expansion.
*First fourth place SEC finish since expansion.
*First time going an entire regular season without beating a ranked opponent since 1974.
*First and Second time UK played on the opening day of the SEC Tournament since the league split into divisional play (1992).
*First time since 1936 not getting to the SEC tourney finals in consecutive years.
*First time since the NCAA tourney was expanded to 64 teams in 1984 that UK did not get past the second round in consecutive seasons.
*First time since the NCAA tourney was expanded to 64 teams in 1984 that UK did not get past the second round in 3 out of 4 seasons.
*First coach never to have either an athletic or academic All-American.
*Worst number of weeks having a team ranked #1 (1).
*First time (except probation) UK finished back to back seasons unranked since 1959-1961 (46 years).
*47% of players do not see their Senior year at UK.
*Fewest NBA draft picks of any coach with at least 5 years (only 2 1st rounders in 10 years)

i love these racist Tubby haters from UK. Tubby was as successful as any UK Coach. Calipari, while he is winning right now has less NCAA titles than Tubby and even if he wins one they'll be equal. To me that's the bottom line. Pitino, Hall and Tubby have the same number of Titles 1. Joe B couldn't win a title with 8 Mcdonalds All Americans in 1984. No other coach had that much talent but somehow Tubby is the worst coach in UK history.

You're reading too much into my post. I didn't come on here to argue and be brought down to the level of a few of the worst members but I will clarify my post for you. I never said tubby was the worst. Most fans feel that he is the third worst with Gillespie being the worst due to treatment of players. UK fans do love the team, the players. The worst player on any UK team has a good paying job for life if he keeps his nose clean. If nothing else, someone will pay him a 100,000 a year to sell cars in Lexington. We despised Gillespie's treatment of them and tubby singling one out after most losses; kicking them to the curb and parking the bus over them. Tubby was for the most part a nice person though prone to lying about next year and the aforementioned habit of sacrificing the kids on national tv. Many on this board, no doubt most, are nice people but they are not getting a couple million to be head coach at your university.

i love these racist Tubby haters from UK. Tubby was as successful as any UK Coach. Calipari, while he is winning right now has less NCAA titles than Tubby and even if he wins one they'll be equal. To me that's the bottom line. Pitino, Hall and Tubby have the same number of Titles 1. Joe B couldn't win a title with 8 Mcdonalds All Americans in 1984. No other coach had that much talent but somehow Tubby is the worst coach in UK history.

We know the SEC takes their sports way to seriously but how can you throw out the term racist?

Pitino brought UK back from the brink, in short order I might say. Tubby caught it at it's zenith and took it to the brink. UK has some big shirttails that would get you or me by as coach for a few years but Tubby wore them out. He only had to maintain the program, but didn't or wouldn't. In short order, Cal brought it back from the brink again.
There are folks in Minnesota who truly want a good basketball program and I know full well what they are going through. Did I mention that UK fans love people in Minnesota? :) Check Tubby's m.o. for the past dozen years. It's not going to happen at UM with him there. UK made Tubby, Tubby didn't make UK. I just noticed though that you are not a gopher fan.

Pitino brought UK back from the brink, in short order I might say. Tubby caught it at it's zenith and took it to the brink. UK has some big shirttails that would get you or me by as coach for a few years but Tubby wore them out. He only had to maintain the program, but didn't or wouldn't. In short order, Cal brought it back from the brink again.
There are folks in Minnesota who truly want a good basketball program and I know full well what they are going through. Did I mention that UK fans love people in Minnesota? :) Check Tubby's m.o. for the past dozen years. It's not going to happen at UM with him there. UK made Tubby, Tubby didn't make UK. I just noticed though that you are not a gopher fan.
Do you think UK fans continue to harbor malice toward Tubby for his coaching efforts there?

I'm sure some do just as it appears some (ok, many) UM fans will for years. For three years he refused to recruit a PG because Saul could not compete for starter position if any decent PG had been in Lexington. Style of play made watching the games miserable for UK fans who felt uptempo was the only option at UK. Face it, tossing the ball around 4 corners like it's a hot potato, then whoever is stuck with it when the shot clock runs out has to throw up a desperation shot is not fun to watch. Most fans don't like it, but most importantly the kids who think they are NBA material want little part of it.
Did I mention that during Tubby's first three years at UK he was voted most popular person in Ky three years straight? Also, I'm not here to argue with the apologist's, or Donna, or Saul. And if you see me post anything about Tubby that is untrue, point it out to me. I will retract and apologize for any false statements I might inadvertently make. I do not hate Tubby, I do sympathize with Gopher fans who want a better program. UM has done a lot for Cat lovers everywhere and we appreciate that.

Top Bottom