What do you think Kaler will do with Tubby?

What do you think Kaler with do with Tubby?

• He will extend Tubby

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • He will not extend Tubby and let him coach another year without an extension

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • He will fire Tubby

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters

Stan

Reaction score
What do you think Kaler will do with Tubby?

Keep in mind this is what you THINK Kaler will do, not what you hope. I hope he fires him. I think he'll extend him.

Of course Tubby will get an extension. He should.

It would be insane to fire Tubby IMO. An extension is the only thing that really makes sense.

As dumb as this sounds in a perfect world if I were Kaler I would tell Tubby to sign either combination in the spring signing period or your gone:
1. Five star recruit+another three star
2. Two four star recruits

Of course not happening.

I hope he extends him with an almost entirely incentive based salary. Tubby should only be coaching if he still has the fire and motivation to do so, and he should be forced to prove it if he wants to get paid.

He doesn't deserve an extension, but I'm pretty sure Kaler and company will extend him anyway. It's a university tradition to reward mediocrity and on top of that, they'll be thinking about how great Tubby was at one time and as a result, will also be thinking how lucky we are that he graces us with his presence. One more year is all he deserves, but he'll get more than that regardless unless he opts out on his own.

It's a university tradition to reward mediocrity and on top of that, they'll be thinking about how great Tubby was at one time and as a result, will also be thinking how lucky we are that he graces us with his presence.

I'm holding out hope that that's a Joel Maturi tradition that doesn't get carried over by Kaler and the new AD. I'm not cool with spinning our wheels for the next 10 years.

Even someone who's a pretty pedestrian fan of college basketball can see that things are not going well as they are. I still want to believe things will turn around next year when Tubby finally has a full complement of players, but the way to coaching staff appears to have given up over the past couple games....that's really discouraging.

I'm absolutely shocked at the amount of responses that Tubby should be extended. We are 2-11 in our last 13 home games....Despicable! We are at the bottom of the Conference for the second straight year and it will be 2 years in a row without an NCAA birth. Attendance levels are way down at Williams Arena and we have lost multiple, key players to transfers...all of which are having great success at their new schools, more success than they ever had as Gophers. His half court offense is mind numbingly horrific and we struggle to make important adjustments during games...I.e. Breaking down zone defenses against Iowa and Northwestern. Why on Earth is he deserving of an extension? People are so blinded by the Tubby Smith name it's ridiculous. Kaler would be a fool to extend Tubby.

Ski U Mah Gopher said:
I thought Kaler said no extensions until there is an AD.

He said just during the season. AD didn't matter.

He said just during the season. AD didn't matter.

An extension would be insane unless there are big staff changes to go with it. Right now the customers who buy seats will not buy into an extension of Tubby and the status quo.

I'm absolutely shocked at the amount of responses that Tubby should be extended. We are 2-11 in our last 13 home games....Despicable! We are at the bottom of the Conference for the second straight year and it will be 2 years in a row without an NCAA birth. Attendance levels are way down at Williams Arena and we have lost multiple, key players to transfers...all of which are having great success at their new schools, more success than they ever had as Gophers. His half court offense is mind numbingly horrific and we struggle to make important adjustments during games...I.e. Breaking down zone defenses against Iowa and Northwestern. Why on Earth is he deserving of an extension? People are so blinded by the Tubby Smith name it's ridiculous. Kaler would be a fool to extend Tubby.

I take it you didn't read the poll or the follow up post. The poll asks what you think Kaler will do, not what you think he should do. BIG DIFFERENCE, no?

Kaler will extend Smith. It's the easiest thing to do. Only we fanatics here are avid about Gopher basketball. This isn't Kansas or North Carolina or Kentucky where college basketball is not only number one but just about the only one. The rest of the Minnesota fans and media would rank their sports interest something like this: 1. Vikings 2. Twins 3. Wild 4. Outdoors 5. Wolves 6. Gopher hockey 7. HS hockey 8. Gopher football 9 Gopher basketball. I don't think I'm exaggerating. Since Smith is a prominent figure with a good reputation, why would Kaler risk a controversy over a matter that most Minnesotans would consider minor.

An extension would be insane unless there are big staff changes to go with it. Right now the customers who buy seats will not buy into an extension of Tubby and the status quo.

Staff changes are window dressing. It all comes from the top.

There are no good solutions to this mess. So what is the least bad solution? I think that Kaler arranges a buyout and hires Flip. (I never, ever thought I would advocate hiring Flip. Never....ever.) If Kaler opts for that approach, he takes a short term PR hit, the legislature yells for a couple of days (they don't fund much of the U anymore anyway) and he leaves himself open to the valid charge that a university president has better things to do than fire and hire b-ball coaches. Under this scenario I would advocate for Flip because he can, with credibility, walk into both Tyus' and Rashard's living rooms and tell them that he can get them to the NBA if they do what he tells them to do. Plus, Flip really can coach and wants the job. If Kaler extends Tubby or waits for the new AD which effectively kills any chance of getting Tyus and Rashard, gopher hoops is set back another 7-10 years, revenue drops, the premium seating campaign is a disaster and no new facilities.

There are no good solutions to this mess. So what is the least bad solution? I think that Kaler arranges a buyout and hires Flip. (I never, ever thought I would advocate hiring Flip. Never....ever.) If Kaler opts for that approach, he takes a short term PR hit, the legislature yells for a couple of days (they don't fund much of the U anymore anyway) and he leaves himself open to the valid charge that a university president has better things to do than fire and hire b-ball coaches. Under this scenario I would advocate for Flip because he can, with credibility, walk into both Tyus' and Rashard's living rooms and tell them that he can get them to the NBA if they do what he tells them to do. Plus, Flip really can coach and wants the job. If Kaler extends Tubby or waits for the new AD which effectively kills any chance of getting Tyus and Rashard, gopher hoops is set back another 7-10 years, revenue drops, the premium seating campaign is a disaster and no new facilities.

I'm starting to lean that way myself. Don't think it will happen though.

As dumb as this sounds in a perfect world if I were Kaler I would tell Tubby to sign either combination in the spring signing period or your gone:
1. Five star recruit+another three star
2. Two four star recruits

Of course not happening.

That would be about the same as if Kaler told him he needs to build a time machine by spring or he's gone.

I take it you didn't read the poll or the follow up post. The poll asks what you think Kaler will do, not what you think he should do. BIG DIFFERENCE, no?

I understood the question, I'm saying as a whole there are a lot of people on the GH board that feel Tubby should be extended, which I simple don't understand.

When I said "bottom of the conference" I meant near the bottom, not the actual dead last spot.

Absolutely agree, well stated. There is zero chance we get Tyus or Rashad if Tubby gets extended....zero chance.

I agree, the fact that Tubby Smith would need to be told in year five that staff changes need to be made may be a worse indictment than straight out firing him.

Flip as head coach with Trent Tucker as an assistant to teach these kids how to shoot the ball would be the ideal scenario in my opinion. Flip would take the job, and I believe Trent would welcome the opportunity with open arms to coach his alma mater with Flip. I'd like to think that Flip and Tucker could walk into just about any living room in the country and sell a recruit and his family. They both know NBA talent, have coached and played at the highest level, and are University of Minnesota alumni. All they have to say is that we wouldn't be recruiting that individual if they didn't envision them playing at the next level, which they feel they can get them there by attending the University of Minnesota. I could go on and on with the sales pitch, selling the University of Minnesota shouldn't be that difficult under the right circumstances.

It will be head scratcher # 2 for the Prez. He will extend Tubby. This, along with giving Maturi a golden parachute, makes him 0 for 2 in my mind

Top Bottom