Tubby Smith Radio Show: 2/20

scher215

Reaction score
Just returned from the Tubby Smith radio show once again and thought I'd give everyone a brief synopsis of what he said. As always, Tubby was very friendly, charismatic, and just a nice person overall. Always good going and getting to see and meet him.

Northwestern Game
-said the biggest issue was turnovers. Mentioned that he gives guys like Oto a little slack because he is a freshman, but was most disappointed with Rodney and Ralph as they are Juniors and Seniors. That they need to do a better job of being stronger with the ball and protecting the ball.

-Talked about how the coaches tried to prepare them for the 1-3-1. When practicing against it, they had the defenders hold large shields. Literally, large shields to simulate playing against that zone. Said they spend a lot of time working on going against the 1-3-1.

-Said they didn't do a good job of forcing NU out of the 1-3-1, in the home game they forced Northwestern to miss shots and got rebounds and transition points as well as did a better job against the zone too and forced NU to play a style that helped the Gophers.

-Talked about Joe Coleman, that as a coaching staff they try and do a good job of positive reinforcement. Said that they always tell Joe that they trust his jump shot and he needs to as well. That when he catches the ball, his first instinct is always to attack whether that is there or not. That he needs to look to trust his jump shot as well. Said he does the same drills as Austin, Andre, and Julien and he should have the confidence to shoot like them, because the staff has that confidence in him.

-Also talked about how hard Joe works and how much he loved Joe's attitude and effort in the NU game and overall. Tubby seems to really like Coleman. He has easily been the player he talks about most and it is with praise 90% of the team.

-As far as turnovers, he mentioned that a lot of guys got frustrated with the 1-3-1 and then they start to do things incorrectly. That guys think how can I score when they should think how can I help my teammates score. Not thinking, I need to score more, but think, I need to screen harder or I need to cut harder to create open looks. Said guys start to rush and panic and do things that are not fundamentally sound. That the key against that 1-3-1 is patience and if everyone is cutting and screening and finding seams in the zone, there will be an opening.

-Talked about Elliot that he missed a few opportunities and that even when he gets fouled, he misses free throws. Didn't say this as a knock on EE, but parlayed it into when that starts to happen, guys think too much and get into their own head too much. The missed shot, then missing free throws, being on the road against the zone and guys lose confidence and think too much.

Misc.
-Talked about how they usually practice and do certain drills for a set amount of time, but this week they have been staying longer on certain drills if the quality has warranted it. As in, they do the drill until they get it right.

-Talked about how guys still do what most of us did in Middle and High School that they'll "hide" in the back of the line for a drill to try and use it as a break or he will see Kendall Shell doing a drill over and over again while guys who actually play are resting. Said he has to keep coaches close by to make sure everyone is doing the drills and not taking breaks.

-Side note, they were in practice before the show and were running killers and then shooting 1 and 1 free throws (and if you miss you have to run more). Something many of us have done in our playing days.

-Talked about that when he played, sometimes the coach would actually hold practice after games if they didn't play well.

Jerry Kill
-Jerry Kill also was on the show with Tubby. They talked about that Jerry actually started out as a basketball coach and Tubby started out as a football coach when they got their starts student teaching.

-Talked about how important it is that football and basketball work together. That football recruits via basketball games and basketball recruits via football games. Tubby mentioned a lot of players never actually see a basketball game, because they go to football games since that is when they are recruiting the hardest. Said this is why fans are so important. The atmosphere created at football/basketball games really plays a part in recruiting.

-Kill talked about how important Painter and Weber were for him when they both coached at Southern Illinois, their successful basketball program is what helped support the football program, Said that both told him if he brings recruits to the basketball games, they will do their part to get them to commit.

-Tubby talked about how he admired Coach Kill that he came up coaching through the ranks, much like Tubby did. Getting your start at a lower level and working hard to get to a higher level. Talked about how a strong work ethic is so important. Coach Kill mentioned that his father was really important in his growing up and whenever he walks onto the field, he is just trying to make him proud. Said that he didn't think he did as good of a job raising his daughters as his father did with him, but that it was a different time that we maybe need to go more towards again. Tubby also talked about how important his parents work ethic was.

That's all I can remember right now, if I think of more things I will be sure to add them!

Awesome. Really coll how they prepared for the 1-3-1 and the fact he coached football and kill, basketball

One other thing,

-He talked about what he said to the team before the NU game, said that he knew they'd have pressure and he wanted to spin that in a positive way. Told them that if you want to be in the postseason, games like this will get you there. This is what players dream of, moments like this against a team that they have beaten before. This is what you play for and to seize the challenge and get it done. This reminded me of his post game quote that good/great players want this challenge and they want these games.

Awesome. Really coll how they prepared for the 1-3-1 and the fact he coached football and kill, basketball

I thought that was interesting as well. For the big hoopla that was made over the Badgers pretending to fall off the court, I think this shield thing could have been interesting to see.

Just returned from the Tubby Smith radio show once again and thought I'd give everyone a brief synopsis of what he said. As always, Tubby was very friendly, charismatic, and just a nice person overall. Always good going and getting to see and meet him.

Northwestern Game
-said the biggest issue was turnovers. Mentioned that he gives guys like Oto a little slack because he is a freshman, but was most disappointed with Rodney and Ralph as they are Juniors and Seniors. That they need to do a better job of being stronger with the ball and protecting the ball.

-Talked about how the coaches tried to prepare them for the 1-3-1. When practicing against it, they had the defenders hold large shields. Literally, large shields to simulate playing against that zone. Said they spend a lot of time working on going against the 1-3-1.

-Said they didn't do a good job of forcing NU out of the 1-3-1, in the home game they forced Northwestern to miss shots and got rebounds and transition points as well as did a better job against the zone too and forced NU to play a style that helped the Gophers.

-Talked about Joe Coleman, that as a coaching staff they try and do a good job of positive reinforcement. Said that they always tell Joe that they trust his jump shot and he needs to as well. That when he catches the ball, his first instinct is always to attack whether that is there or not. That he needs to look to trust his jump shot as well. Said he does the same drills as Austin, Andre, and Julien and he should have the confidence to shoot like them, because the staff has that confidence in him.

-Also talked about how hard Joe works and how much he loved Joe's attitude and effort in the NU game and overall. Tubby seems to really like Coleman. He has easily been the player he talks about most and it is with praise 90% of the team.

-As far as turnovers, he mentioned that a lot of guys got frustrated with the 1-3-1 and then they start to do things incorrectly. That guys think how can I score when they should think how can I help my teammates score. Not thinking, I need to score more, but think, I need to screen harder or I need to cut harder to create open looks. Said guys start to rush and panic and do things that are not fundamentally sound. That the key against that 1-3-1 is patience and if everyone is cutting and screening and finding seams in the zone, there will be an opening.

-Talked about Elliot that he missed a few opportunities and that even when he gets fouled, he misses free throws. Didn't say this as a knock on EE, but parlayed it into when that starts to happen, guys think too much and get into their own head too much. The missed shot, then missing free throws, being on the road against the zone and guys lose confidence and think too much.

Misc.
-Talked about how they usually practice and do certain drills for a set amount of time, but this week they have been staying longer on certain drills if the quality has warranted it. As in, they do the drill until they get it right.

-Talked about how guys still do what most of us did in Middle and High School that they'll "hide" in the back of the line for a drill to try and use it as a break or he will see Kendall Shell doing a drill over and over again while guys who actually play are resting. Said he has to keep coaches close by to make sure everyone is doing the drills and not taking breaks.

-Side note, they were in practice before the show and were running killers and then shooting 1 and 1 free throws (and if you miss you have to run more). Something many of us have done in our playing days.

-Talked about that when he played, sometimes the coach would actually hold practice after games if they didn't play well.

Jerry Kill
-Jerry Kill also was on the show with Tubby. They talked about that Jerry actually started out as a basketball coach and Tubby started out as a football coach when they got their starts student teaching.

-Talked about how important it is that football and basketball work together. That football recruits via basketball games and basketball recruits via football games. Tubby mentioned a lot of players never actually see a basketball game, because they go to football games since that is when they are recruiting the hardest. Said this is why fans are so important. The atmosphere created at football/basketball games really plays a part in recruiting.

-Kill talked about how important Painter and Weber were for him when they both coached at Southern Illinois, their successful basketball program is what helped support the football program, Said that both told him if he brings recruits to the basketball games, they will do their part to get them to commit.

-Tubby talked about how he admired Coach Kill that he came up coaching through the ranks, much like Tubby did. Getting your start at a lower level and working hard to get to a higher level. Talked about how a strong work ethic is so important. Coach Kill mentioned that his father was really important in his growing up and whenever he walks onto the field, he is just trying to make him proud. Said that he didn't think he did as good of a job raising his daughters as his father did with him, but that it was a different time that we maybe need to go more towards again. Tubby also talked about how important his parents work ethic was.

That's all I can remember right now, if I think of more things I will be sure to add them!

Ever listen to Rick Majerus or Bobby Knight? You hear them talk about these issues- dealing with the 1-3-1 for example- and you come away understanding how they would attack it. Get the ball into the corners, do this, do that. With Tubby it's confusing -supposedly everybody is cutting and screening and things just open up like the Red Sea. I am certain he knows what to do- I'm not certain he can communicate whatever it is he wants to 19-20 year old players. Thus the tentative looking play we often see. Just my take. Somebody who knows coaching may look at this differently.

i'm a little surprised that Tubby didn't recognize the students who came down for the trip (as it appears from the recap). they were making more noise than the NU student section.

Spin Your Head said:
i'm a little surprised that Tubby didn't recognize the students who came down for the trip (as it appears from the recap). they were making more noise than the NU student section.

He did not mention them at all.

bga1 said:
Ever listen to Rick Majerus or Bobby Knight? You hear them talk about these issues- dealing with the 1-3-1 for example- and you come away understanding how they would attack it. Get the ball into the corners, do this, do that. With Tubby it's confusing -supposedly everybody is cutting and screening and things just open up like the Red Sea. I am certain he knows what to do- I'm not certain he can communicate whatever it is he wants to 19-20 year old players. Thus the tentative looking play we often see. Just my take. Somebody who knows coaching may look at this differently.

Not saying I don't agree with you. In public his comments can get confusing, I have no idea what he says to or expects from his team though.

To me though, the key to most of his comments is being selfless. It is team basketball and teamwork. That's what I get out of It. He made sure to point out that in the game, he didn't think guys were selfish, but that it is just human nature to want to "take over" and do too much that it results in mistakes and turnovers when he wants guys to worry about their teammates and working as a team and to play within the game.

I think he was using his comments on the zone to get that point across, not sure if that was his only plan for beating it. I could definitely be wrong though. Just how I interpreted that portion.

He may have been more vague because the average fan listening would have no idea what he's talking about if he got in depth about strategy. I sometimes listen to the Oliver Purnell Show (Depaul's coach) and he rarely goes into detail, either.

Not saying I don't agree with you. In public his comments can get confusing, I have no idea what he says to or expects from his team though.

To me though, the key to most of his comments is being selfless. It is team basketball and teamwork. That's what I get out of It. He made sure to point out that in the game, he didn't think guys were selfish, but that it is just human nature to want to "take over" and do too much that it results in mistakes and turnovers when he wants guys to worry about their teammates and working as a team and to play within the game.

I think he was using his comments on the zone to get that point across, not sure if that was his only plan for beating it. I could definitely be wrong though. Just how I interpreted that portion.

You are probably right Sher. I think you need unselfish play but you also need guys that have the ability the confidence that go ahead and get selfish to the benefit of the team. All of the good teams have such a guy or even a couple of them. When the game was on the line Bobby Jackson was selfish. Q Lewis his senior year, Willie Burton was another, Sam Jacobson, Voshon Leonard, all of those guys wanted the shots and the team needed them to take it. You gotta have some go to guys to have a great team and to have some order. Last I heard you have to score to win.

bga1 said:
You are probably right Sher. I think you need unselfish play but you also need guys that have the ability the confidence that go ahead and get selfish to the benefit of the team. All of the good teams have such a guy or even a couple of them. When the game was on the line Bobby Jackson was selfish. Q Lewis his senior year, Willie Burton was another, Sam Jacobson, Voshon Leonard, all of those guys wanted the shots and the team needed them to take it. You gotta have some go to guys to have a great team and to have some order. Last I heard you have to score to win.

Definitely don't disagree again. I think Tubby did that in the Wisconsin game with Dre. I think sometimes guys, though, especially during bad stretches, start to force shots rather than be patient and get a good shot.

Also, OT but please don't take this back and forth as "arguing" or whatever. You continue to be one of my favorite posters for the very reason that we may not always agree, but you definitely do a good job of furthering discussion and creating a good debate. I appreciate that a lot!

Definitely don't disagree again. I think Tubby did that in the Wisconsin game with Dre. I think sometimes guys, though, especially during bad stretches, start to force shots rather than be patient and get a good shot.

Also, OT but please don't take this back and forth as "arguing" or whatever. You continue to be one of my favorite posters for the very reason that we may not always agree, but you definitely do a good job of furthering discussion and creating a good debate. I appreciate that a lot!

Scher- like the back and forth, I appreciate your kind words and your posts. I am just grasping at straws here as to what it will take to get some traction. One thing I will say about Tubby squads - they don't take a lot of bad shots unless they run out of clock. So that's a positive and a factor in our decent shooting percentage despite a group that I view to be at best an average group of shooters.

+1

Scher- like the back and forth, I appreciate your kind words and your posts. I am just grasping at straws here as to what it will take to get some traction. One thing I will say about Tubby squads - they don't take a lot of bad shots unless they run out of clock. So that's a positive and a factor in our decent shooting percentage despite a group that I view to be at best an average group of shooters.

Do remember how Clem used to talk about how he would counsel his freshman shooters that their % would increase each year? I'm thinking specifically of Ariel M., but Townsend O. would be in that group also, as would others I can't recall off hand.

Thanks for the write-up, Scher. A lot of new/interesting information in general. I found that bit about Coleman's confidence to be particularly interesting. I know we ('Holers in general) have gotten into some discussions about Coleman developing that jump shot. Nice to hear that the coaching staff is making an effort to guide that development as well.

We gotta get guys like Coleman and Austin Hollins to get some of that confidence back if we want to have any shot at salvaging this season.

Someone else had pointed out a few days ago that this was the fourth year in a row we've lost at Northwestern. Why it surprised people that we lost again is beyond me.

This is the one that really still sticks out in my mind:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/boxscore?gid=200901180421

Fresh off beating Wisconsin at their place in overtime we went down to Northwestern and promptly crapped our pants.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=200901180421

Turnovers were the story in this one too. The fudgehole completely melted down.

Thanks for the write-up, Scher. A lot of new/interesting information in general. I found that bit about Coleman's confidence to be particularly interesting. I know we ('Holers in general) have gotten into some discussions about Coleman developing that jump shot. Nice to hear that the coaching staff is making an effort to guide that development as well.

We gotta get guys like Coleman and Austin Hollins to get some of that confidence back if we want to have any shot at salvaging this season.

If Coleman develops an outside game he has a chance to get to the NBA as a 2 guard.

If Coleman develops an outside game he has a chance to get to the NBA as a 2 guard.
I agree. He has ridiculous vertical leap. Once he gets a consistent jump shot he will be a big time scorer. All Big Ten player is in his future.

Someone else had pointed out a few days ago that this was the fourth year in a row we've lost at Northwestern. Why it surprised people that we lost again is beyond me.

This is the one that really still sticks out in my mind:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/boxscore?gid=200901180421

Fresh off beating Wisconsin at their place in overtime we went down to Northwestern and promptly crapped our pants.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=200901180421

Turnovers were the story in this one too. The fudgehole completely melted down.

Yeah, every year people chalk that game up as a W, and for the last four years, they've been disappointed. I wasn't surprised in the least, for whatever reason that place has just been nothing but trouble.

Thanks for the update Scher. The comment about players hiding in the line for drills was pretty infuriating for me. With some of the careless mistakes that we have seen (especially the turnovers), I feel like the players should be fighting their way to the front of the line to practice fundamentals and try to eliminate those mistakes from their games.

notagopherfan

Originally Posted by jamiche

I agree. He has ridiculous vertical leap. Once he gets a consistent jump shot he will be a big time scorer. All Big Ten player is in his future.

Once EE develops an outside game he will be the next Kevin Love.:rolleyes:

notagopherfan

Originally Posted by jamiche

Once EE develops an outside game he will be the next Kevin Love.:rolleyes:

Nice Sarcasm! EE won't be outside the paint except to set screens which he's really good at and will only get better at. But if you don't see the potential in Joe Coleman I don't know what to say except to set aside your disdain for Tubby and be objective. The kid is going to be a very good player if not great player. I think he has the work ethic and drive that you want to see in a player as well. I don't think there is a player on the team that plays harder.

Nice Sarcasm! EE won't be outside the paint except to set screens which he's really good at and will only get better at. But if you don't see the potential in Joe Coleman I don't know what to say except to set aside your disdain for Tubby and be objective. The kid is going to be a very good player if not great player. I think he has the work ethic and drive that you want to see in a player as well. I don't think there is a player on the team that plays harder.

Just sayin there are too many if and whens. I agree on the potential of JC but there is no way of telling if he will develop an outside shot. Same was said about Rodney. Same was said about Shaq and free throws.

Just sayin there are too many if and whens. I agree on the potential of JC but there is no way of telling if he will develop an outside shot. Same was said about Rodney. Same was said about Shaq and free throws.

That's why they call it potential......:)

If EE were to grow a foot, he'd probably go down as the greatest center of all time.

Side note: Did anyone watch The Journey on Sunday. Nice segments on Joe Coleman and Andre Hollins

I think you could say Rodney's outside shot has improved but it's not even good at this point, just ok. Coleman has that there's nothing I can't do mentality though, so that's why i say he will develop nicely. Rodney seems much more laid back and content. Joe seems like the kind of kid who will push the envelope which translates to pushing himself. I bet you a $100 right now Joe Coleman will be on an All Big Ten team at some point.

I think you could say Rodney's outside shot has improved but it's not even good at this point, just ok. Coleman has that there's nothing I can't do mentality though, so that's why i say he will develop nicely. Rodney seems much more laid back and content. Joe seems like the kind of kid who will push the envelope which translates to pushing himself. I bet you a $100 right now Joe Coleman will be on an All Big Ten team at some point.

I'm still thinking.........................................................

Top Bottom