Nate Wolters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg Robb

Large Member
Reaction score
I had the privilege of watching the South Dakota State victory over Washington last night. Wolters' stat line; 10-20 from the floor, 34 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, outstanding defense and 0 turnovers in 40 minutes of play. I know Wolters has been discussed on this board a few different times, but I can't help but think he would be a very good player in the Big Ten. He manages to single handedly carry that team with very little help. I could only imagine that he would only get better if he was surrounded by Big Ten caliber talent. I for one would welcome a point guard who could hit the open jumper, run the floor and NOT turn the ball over.

Maybe we need an all things Nate Wolters thread.

I wouldn't say he has very little help. There were 4 other players in double figures last night.

At any rate, proud SDSU alumnus here!

SDSU is a solid club. They play well together. Thought the same thing last season.

Still scratching my head how they lost to UND by 19.

Summit League looks like it could be a 4-horse race between Oakland, Oral Roberts, SDSU and NDSU.

1. Sometimes top-level programs go after players who end up being busts.
2. Sometimes top-level programs don't go after players who end up being studs.

That's just how it is. It's not an exact science.

SDSU is a solid club. They play well together. Thought the same thing last season.

Still scratching my head how they lost to UND by 19.

Summit League looks like it could be a 4-horse race between Oakland, Oral Roberts, SDSU and NDSU.
That UND game was kind of a trap game. The Jacks had beaten UND by 38 five days earlier in Brookings,and the Whioux took great offense when an SDSU freshman shot and made a 3-pointer in the last 45 seconds of the game. Still no reason for them to lose that badly in Grand Forks though.

He wouldn't be the same player if he got maverick minutes for his first two years he wouldn't be nearly the player he is today. Though having a player like him would gave helped a ton last year.

I think being a major contributor and a greenlight to shoot probably helped him to develop as a scorer. He wouldn't have gotten that at Minnesota or any other major conference school. Sometimes going to a mid major is the best way for a kid to develop.

Rosemountian said:
He wouldn't be the same player if he got maverick minutes for his first two years he wouldn't be nearly the player he is today. Though having a player like him would gave helped a ton last year.

I think being a major contributor and a greenlight to shoot probably helped him to develop as a scorer. He wouldn't have gotten that at Minnesota or any other major conference school. Sometimes going to a mid major is the best way for a kid to develop.

Exactly.

Can't believe some people think there's no way he could play in the Big Ten.
Exactly every scout and analyst thinks that he can but Minnesota fans. Smh. He is ranked as a higher draft prospect than any Gophers player

Exactly every scout and analyst thinks that he can but Minnesota fans. Smh. He is ranked as a higher draft prospect than any Gophers player

Where do you find this? Both Mbakwe and Williams are ranked higher on both Draft Express and NBA Draft.net. The two top draft projection sites on google.

I was at the UND-SDSU game and UND went off from 3 point land. Mitchell, who plays PF for them hit his first 6 threes (missed his last 3, but the game was out of reach at that point) and I it didn't look like SDSU's PF was used to playing out so far. SDSU was also really lazy with their passes. I'm not sure how many times I saw the UND guards easily step in for a steal at the 3 point line and take it in for an easy layup.

I assume SDSU was expecting to come in and wipe them up by just stepping up the floor. I was expecting them to too, but UND clearly came ready to play.

You SDSU guys must be really busy visiting every team's board that failed to even offer a scholly to Wolters. It must be exhausting.

It is the Wolters hate on this board and the maroon and gold glasses that Minnesota fans wear. And it's not exhausting at all. Minnesota fans get very worked up about how he wouldn't play for them now. Fact is according to Chad Ford Nate Wolters is ranked higher in the draft than the players in Minnesota. Pretty good for a kid that can't even play for the Gophers.

According to Rivals, Wolters had offers from North Dakota, North Dakota State, and South Dakota State. How does anyone expect Tubby to have ever landed him. Bad Major programs did not offer Wolters, nor did mid major programs. Where was Creighton or Northern Iowa on this kid? You have to really, really be looking for something to pick apart if you feel like Tubby should have seen Wolters coming. It would be more realistic to blame Tubby for "missing out" on Harrison Barnes than to blame him for not offering Nate Wolters.

I also agree with the post about Wolters having offensive freedom at SDSU that he wouldn't have at Minnesota. I'd take it a step further and say that Wolters defense would have been under heavy scrutiny from Tubby.

Nobody is talking about him coming out of high school because trust me Jacks fans were plenty skeptical of his top two choices being SDSU and a D-2 school. I'm talking about now in that fans still think he can't play at Minnesota.

Everyone thinks Wolters, right now, could play for the Gophers. I think everyone agrees that he is a better player today than Maverick.

However, judging recruits in hindsight is incredibly dumb. Were the Gophers dumb for not offering Wolters? Probably not. No one offered him, he came out of nowhere and has developed into a good player.

If this was a Lockett or Dower type of debate, that's one thing. You could make an argument that Tubby should have went harder after them. However, making that argument about Wolters is asinine. Some players who are off the radar will turn out to be studs, it is boneheaded to rip on Tubby or the U for him not getting offered back in the day.

So, you've made your point....Wolters is good. Now you have to go carry on this charade to EVERY SINGLE Mid-Major / Major Conference team. You are going to be tuckered out....

Nate Wolters final four were Colorado State, NDSU, SDSU, and Augie. Down the stretch the finalists were SDSU and Colorado State. Tim Miles wanted Nate really bad. Iowa was also in there too after watching Nate versus Hopkins but they didn't have anything to give at that point and was thinking about him walking on for a year.

Northern Iowa did watch him but took Marc Sonnen very early with that scholarship.

Bob_Loblaw said:
Everyone thinks Wolters, right now, could play for the Gophers. I think everyone agrees that he is a better player today than Maverick.

However, judging recruits in hindsight is incredibly dumb. Were the Gophers dumb for not offering Wolters? Probably not. No one offered him, he came out of nowhere and has developed into a good player.

If this was a Lockett or Dower type of debate, that's one thing. You could make an argument that Tubby should have went harder after them. However, making that argument about Wolters is asinine. Some players who are off the radar will turn out to be studs, it is boneheaded to rip on Tubby or the U for him not getting offered back in the day.

So, you've made your point....Wolters is good. Now you have to go carry on this charade to EVERY SINGLE Mid-Major / Major Conference team. You are going to be tuckered out....

Very well put.

Nobody is talking about him coming out of high school because trust me Jacks fans were plenty skeptical of his top two choices being SDSU and a D-2 school. I'm talking about now in that fans still think he can't play at Minnesota.

It seems that whenever a fan from other teams comes on here, they take comments that one or several people made and change it into "all you Gophers fans". I don't doubt that there were a few who said Wolters wouldn't play for the Gophers, but I don't think a majority feel that way.

It seems that whenever a fan from other teams comes on here, they take comments that one or several people made and change it into "all you Gophers fans". I don't doubt that there were a few who said Wolters wouldn't play for the Gophers, but I don't think a majority feel that way.
I spent plenty of times after the Gophers game this year and last year saying how he cant play for the Gophers. I would say the majority that post on here dont think he could play on the Gophers. As for Bob_loblaw people are talking about the fans saying he can't play now and I am still suprised that Wolters didn't get much publicity as his team St. Could Tech almost beat Royce Whites Hopkins team.

Again, your selective numbers are from one person. There are plenty of draft sites (most if not all) that have both Mbakwe and Williams ranked ahead and in draftable range.
And this is what Chad Ford said, "While Wolters lacks the requisite hyper-athleticism of other elite point guards, he's got toughness, craftiness and fearlessness going for him. And at his size, he's able to score over smaller point guards. No one is talking about Wolters as a sure-fire first-rounder, but a number of scouts I've spoken with think he's got a real shot at the NBA. " Take it for what it is and he listed Wolters as one of his four sleepers for the draft this year

as his team St. Could Tech almost beat Royce Whites Hopkins team.
I was actually at that game (I go to all State Tourney games each year)...

That was the worst 1st half of a high school game I've ever seen. The score was like 14-13 (seriously) at halftime b/c Tech held the ball for 2-3 minutes at a time. It was a joke of a basketball game.

Once Hopkins got on top in the 2nd and Tech had to actually play basketball, that game was over (Hopkins won by 20, so I wouldn't say Tech "almost beat" them) .

I spent plenty of times after the Gophers game this year and last year saying how he cant play for the Gophers. I would say the majority that post on here dont think he could play on the Gophers. As for Bob_loblaw people are talking about the fans saying he can't play now and I am still suprised that Wolters didn't get much publicity as his team St. Could Tech almost beat Royce Whites Hopkins team.

Here's our chance to find out:
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?34932-Do-you-think-Nate-Wolters-could-play-for-the-Gophers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom