Killing Maturi today

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
Curious - lots of people looking for Maturi's blood today and yesterday. Not that it is out of the normal, but seemed more tuned up now...

Why not direct the anger at Kill? Are you mad at Maturi for hiring Kill? Brewster? Firing Mason? Not being critical is any way, just wondering.

Because people are looking for a scapegoat that will immediately provide hope and success. They will try to explain it as something else, but that is the reality.

Curious - lots of people looking for Maturi's blood today and yesterday. Not that it is out of the normal, but seemed more tuned up now...

Why not direct the anger at Kill? Are you mad at Maturi for hiring Kill? Brewster? Firing Mason? Not being critical is any way, just wondering.

Because yesterday is just further proof of how far we have sunk as a football program. I've been asking for his head for years and don't understand how anyone can back this clown. Look at our hockey, basketball and football teams and ask me how he has kept his job. Being a Gopher fan and looking for "immediate success" do not go hand and hand so spare me that line of thought please, 12th man.

Because yesterday is just further proof of how far we have sunk as a football program. I've been asking for his head for years and don't understand how anyone can back this clown. Look at our hockey, basketball and football teams and ask me how he has kept his job. Being a Gopher fan and looking for "immediate success" do not go hand and hand so spare me that line of thought please, 12th man.

You are upset with a big loss and have decided to place the blame solely on the AD's shoulders. There is no point in arguing about this, since your response backs up my point. You are justifiably angry and are using the message board as a way to vent. That's fine. Just be honest with yourself.

I was against firing Brewster because I had zero confidence in Maturi making the right hire. I thought if Brewster got canned, that he shouldn't have been the only one given his walking papers. I still like Jerry Kill and think he might be a decent coach, but the squad's not doing Maturi any favors at this point.

Yep, everything is Maturi's fault. Forty years of bad football; only 2 B10 men's BB/FB titles in 80 tries; the economy; unemployment; climate
change. Our programs were perfect before he came on board.

You are upset with a big loss and have decided to place the blame solely on the AD's shoulders. There is no point in arguing about this, since your response backs up my point. You are justifiably angry and are using the message board as a way to vent. That's fine. Just be honest with yourself.
Wrong, everyday for last 5 years I have wished for Maturi to be fired. If we would have won yesterday by 50, I would still want him gone.

After 10 horrible years of suffering "rampant badger joel macturi syndrom..." the three Gopher Revenue sports have suffered long enough. The incompetent macturi is well over 65 years of age and has been here entirely too long. In the football program alone...he has EXTENDED two coaches that were promptly fired within 12 months, FIRED two coaches, HIRED two coaches PLUS a temp. coach, fired a temp. coach.

Even MORE telling is the fact that within the space of five or six years, he has subjected the student athletes to 3 head coaches plus a temp. coach, 4 offense and defense changes, 10 coordinators and God only knows how many position coaches, strength coaches, etc. IS that good treatment of student athletes? That sounds pretty much like institutionally induced neglect and "out of control" administrative practices.

badger joel macturi has brought the University of Minnesota Men's Revenue Programs to the very depths of depression and has instilled a culture of inability to acceptably compete within the Football Prgram that does NOT compete in the Big Ten Conference at the EXACT time the beautiful new almost $300 million Dollar campus stadium was erected, dedicated and put into use. Make NO mistake: the administration at the University MUST be held accountable for EVERY aspect of EVERY program, academic as well as athletic at the University of Minnesota. prexy k must act NOW.

Long-time season ticket holders are FED-UP with the state of the University of Minnesota Men's Revenue Programs. The U can NO LONGER just try to fire their way to successful programs by firing coaches and buying out contracts of coaches. The athletic director MUST be held responsibile and MUST be driven from the scene of his crimes. Throw badger joel macturi under the bus NOW!

What badger joel macturi has overseen with the Football Program in particuliar and within the Men's Revenue Programs in general is a CRIME.

It is time to start playing hard-ball with badger joel macturi and it is time to drive him from the offices of the athletic department at the University of Minnesota. The damage HAS been inflicted by bjm. It is time to stop the bleeding...

; 0 (

Even If True - Maturi Has Done NOTHING TO Forward The Ball

Yep, everything is Maturi's fault. Forty years of bad football; only 2 B10 men's BB/FB titles in 80 tries; the economy; unemployment; climate

No one would blame the plumber for their 8 or 10 of their pipes leaking, but you would think after 8 or 9 years that ONE - JUST ONE - WOULD BE FIXED.

And - if he's not expected to fix them himself, but hire the right people . . . if can't hire the right "subs" to fix those pipes, then he's the worst general contractor imaginable.

Any one STILL defending this clown - is either blind or complacent.

After 10 horrible years of suffering "rampant badger joel macturi syndrom..." the three Gopher Revenue sports have suffered long enough. The incompetent macturi is well over 65 years of age and has been here entirely too long. In the football program alone...he has EXTENDED two coaches that were promptly fired within 12 months, FIRED two coaches, HIRED two coaches PLUS a temp. coach, fired a temp. coach.

Even MORE telling is the fact that within the space of five or six years, he has subjected the student athletes to 3 head coaches plus a temp. coach, 4 offense and defense changes, 10 coordinators and God only knows how many position coaches, strength coaches, etc. IS that good treatment of student athletes? That sounds pretty much like institutionally induced neglect and "out of control" administrative practices.

badger joel macturi has brought the University of Minnesota Men's Revenue Programs to the very depths of depression and has instilled a culture of inability to acceptably compete within the Football Prgram that does NOT compete in the Big Ten Conference at the EXACT time the beautiful new almost $300 million Dollar campus stadium was erected, dedicated and put into use. Make NO mistake: the administration at the University MUST be held accountable for EVERY aspect of EVERY program, academic as well as athletic at the University of Minnesota. prexy k must act NOW.

Long-time season ticket holders are FED-UP with the state of the University of Minnesota Men's Revenue Programs. The U can NO LONGER just try to fire their way to successful programs by firing coaches and buying out contracts of coaches. The athletic director MUST be held responsibile and MUST be driven from the scene of his crimes. Throw badger joel macturi under the bus NOW!

What badger joel macturi has overseen with the Football Program in particuliar and within the Men's Revenue Programs in general is a CRIME.

It is time to start playing hard-ball with badger joel macturi and it is time to drive him from the offices of the athletic department at the University of Minnesota. The damage HAS been inflicted by bjm. It is time to stop the bleeding...

; 0 (
You're that crazy guy who stands on a box on the Northrop Mall and tells us we're all going to hell, right?

No one would blame the plumber for their 8 or 10 of their pipes leaking, but you would think after 8 or 9 years that ONE - JUST ONE - WOULD BE FIXED.

And - if he's not expected to fix them himself, but hire the right people . . . if can't hire the right "subs" to fix those pipes, then he's the worst general contractor imaginable.

Besides football where every AD since the 1960's has failed miserably, name the 8 or 10 pipes that need fixing with other sports at the U. Bob Bruininks loved the way Maturi did his job. What do you know that Bruininks didn't know?

In my opinion it's not just football where Maturi has struggled to succeed although it's surely the most grievous. I'm not sure how much lower the football program can go, hopefully this is rock bottom. Maturi signed his death warrant when he hired a coach who had no coaching experience and sent the team into the depths of the Big 10.

Not only that, Tubby Smith fell into his lap after the disastrous Monson hire where the Gophers were, like the football team now, at the bottom of the league. Plus he sticks with a hockey coach in Lucia who has turned one of the top programs in the nation into a mediocre team as of late and still stands behind him.

Maturi might be the nicest guy alive but he is clearly not doing his job.

Football is the main pipe and if that is broken who cares about the other 8 or 10 pipes. By the way we have plenty of other programs struggling at the U. Hockey, both bball teams, softball, golf, etc....

prexy b was so out of touch, he let the door hit him on the way out, broke his leg and left on crutches. prexy b was a big part of the problem. badger joel macturi was prexy b's stooge and prexy b worked hard to provide bjm with a golden parachute pay-off.

Football under Murray, Cal Stoll, at times Gutey and Mason was rather competetive within the Big Ten Conference sans OSU and Michigan. They were the Big Two up through the Gutey days. The Conference is more competetive now with the addition of PSU and now Nebraska. The $$$$$ that comes to the U of M just for being a member of the Big Ten Conference makes it pretty disgusting that a light-weight such as badger joel macturi is running the cash-cow Men's Revenue Sports into the ground. Who the hell cares what the Title IX and non-revenue sports are doing. They only spend the money the revenue sports earn. NOBODY buys tickets to the non-revenue sports and Title IX sports.

bjm has a dismal record with the Men's Revenue Sports and THAT does matter a great deal.

prexy b was NOT all that he needed to be these past 10 years. There is plenty to fault him with....

; 0 )

Sonofabadger:

Are you really satisfied with how the Men's Hoops Program has been doing lately? The end of last season was pretty darn miserable if you ask me. Considering the fact that Monson was stuck with the loss of all those scholarships, recruting sanctions and the aftermath of the haskins scandal, has Tubby really even done that much better than Monson? Considering his two million dollar plus salary, the cost per Big Ten win has been pretty darn high for the Tubster.

; 0 )

Why pay a hoops coach more than twice as much as a football coach when you are opening up a brand new close to $300 million dollar state of the art football stadium?

The leadership at the U of M has been pretty much "missing in action..." during the past ten years.

I Am Ungrateful and Have Too High Standards, I Guess

Besides football where every AD since the 1960's has failed miserably, name the 8 or 10 pipes that need fixing with other sports at the U. Bob Bruininks loved the way Maturi did his job. What do you know that Bruininks didn't know?

I know I should be more grateful given all the recent conference title races and post-season appearances we Gopher alums have enjoyed in our major sports: the football program, the men's basketball program, the women's basketball program, men's hockey, and women's hockey (the latter of which we should dominate).

I know that Bruiniks is gone, too. (Btw - I met Bruiniks several times, and hold no personal animus). So, because Bruiniks "loved the way Maturi did his job" - that exonerates Maturi?!?! See "W" at his post-Katrina presser and the infamous "You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie." :-o :-o :-o :-o

SHEESH!

I could find other "successes" in the other programs, but I'd have to dig. Since Maturi (and probably as did Bruiniks) equates the women's gymnastics team's fortunes with what should be the bell-cow type programs (see above) - therein is another reason alone why he needs to go.

But by God, we were in the black!!!

Name me ONE other Big Ten school where this record of utter ineptitude would have been tolerated for a year, let alone one month? . . . . . . . . .

Sonofabadger:

Are you really satisfied with how the Men's Hoops Program has been doing lately? The end of last season was pretty darn miserable if you ask me.

Why pay a hoops coach more than twice as much as a football coach when you are opening up a brand new close to $300 million dollar state of the art football stadium?

The leadership at the U of M has been pretty much "missing in action..." during the past ten years.

I agree that Men's hoops should be doing better but it's not Maturi's fault that Royce White couldn't stop stealing, Nolan and others got hurt, and a ton of other factors that were beyond his control.

; 0 (

it is not too often, but i agree with most everything wren wrote here about maturi. have long felt the same way about maturi (just want him gone, gone, gone, gone and away from U of M athletics to be honest) for a long time. even when mason and our gopher football program were having some decent success from 1999 thru 2006 i was not a big maturi fan (i know maturi didn't come on the scene until around 2002). the guy just screams lifelong bean counter and administrative "yes" man with no backbone and no real vision or leadership as it relates to how to really build successful men's college revenue sports. i hate listening to the way he talks, the things he says, his quotes, his measured talking style as it relates to virtually anything and everything, his inability to hire, fire and extend people at the correct time. the guy is just a putz and a loser. has probably been a putz for most of his life.

i like coach kill and believe that he will eventually get this thing turned back around again. but i still just want joel maturi gone and gone now. i don't care that joel maturi hired him. wanted maturi gone a long, long time ago. before brewster or kill were ever hired.

or a "close personal friend" with some personal connection or friendship with maturi and/or his family. and no, i am not talking about sid hartman.

Here's my take:

Prez B was more pro sports than any U of M prez in recent history. He knew the importance of revenue sports at the U. Having said that, he didn't have what it takes to get the job done. If Mason was to be fired it should not have been done in January. Horrible timing. Hopefully prez K will be the right man.

Whether people are Maturi backers or not, I would think they have to admit that it is time for a change just for the sake of change.

BTW the jury is still out on Tubby. Personaly, I think he is an 'okay' coach.

Why recruit players who can't stop doing those things? Character IS an issue in...

recruiting. That is on the Tubster. badger joel macturi was also very involved with the decision of when, if ever the above named players were cleared to play at the U. It went on...and on...and on. Certainly, if bjm is going to try to hang his hat on the Tubster hire, he certainly has to hang when ever things don'tgo so "swimmingly well..." I just don't think the Men's Hoops Program can be considered to be any kind of "big" success. They still don't sell the barn out. There is a lot of revenue left on the table there.

And I won't even start on the borton fiasco...

; 0 )

Shouldn't Mac Boston have been on top of the haskin's scandal that was perpetrated over such a long period of time? Who IS responsible? Or sometimes, if they hire and extend too many people who they end up firing, are they not part of the problem themselves and need to fall on their own sword? badger joel macturi has STRUCK OUT. Sit him down. Get him out of here.

Sometimes when an ad has to fire too many coaches it is also time to fire the ad for having hired those failed coaches. There comes a time when you have to fire the idiot who made all the hires of people who need to be fired...

; 0 )

It is not about yesterday game. It is more of the overall situation of the program. Stop comparing with the ADs from 1960s to 1990s. And don’t tell us Maturi didn’t get more support than his predecessors used to get. Even if your processors are suck does not mean you have to as well. :blah:If he try to use this excuse, then he shall not take this job at all. I don’t think his salary is nickel and dime. It is more than 90% of American can only dream of in their life time.
How about new Illinois AD, Mike Thomas who used to be at Cincinnati. I don’t think Cincinnati has more resources than us. By any measurement, they are much more successful than ours. Why? Their AD is good at evaluating talent and Maturi sucks. How many football coaches he loses from Brian Kelly to Dantonio. Each and every time he did his job brilliantly, and can get the right hire again and again. Do I need to mention their lovely neighbor THHHHHHAAAAAA OOOOSSSSSUUUUUU? Illinois got him as AD, good for them. Trust me under his management Illinoi will be much better than it used to be. It is the job of the President at the U to keep looking at good ADs and whenever he has to hire the new one, he should be ready for it. I do hope the new president is proactive one. When the division aliment was announced everyone say Maturi is brilliant. No, he wasn’t. Why? He agreed to throw Gopher program under the bus by agreeing to be part of BTHC. BTHC needs Gopher Hockey program more than Gopher Hockey does for marketing and branding to getting more bid for Forzen Four. It is not a secret that Gopher Hockey is the NY Yankee of the college hockey. It is just a trade off.
An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep. Mature is just a sheep.
Mature is not an AD just an accountant.

Maturi is badger at heart. Do you really think that he cares if we loose to Wisconsin in any sport...? Never - because he is a badger. He needs to go.

Maturi is badger at heart. Do you really think that he cares if we loose to Wisconsin in any sport...? Never - because he is a badger. He needs to go.

Idiotic. Does Donna Shalala care if Miami wins or is she a Badger at heart? Does Dave Doeren care if Northern Illinois wins or is he a Badger at heart? Does Bret Bielema care if Wisconsin wins or is he a Hawkeye at heart?

Why would the Timberwolves hire Rick Adelman...he's a Trailblazer at heart!!!!!!!

Gopher football was at least a contained wildfire when Mason was here. Then Maturi showed up to help put it out. Problem is, the dumb azz showed up with a 10-gallon can of gas and added fuel to the fire and it got totally out of control... Give Mason a contract extension then fire him. Then just when you think things couldn't possibly get worse, Jump'n Joel hires basement brew, gives him a contract extension and then fires him. Does it stop there? No, of course not. Joel goes looking for a new coach with his equally incompenent buddy mona only to get rejected repeatedly until he backed into Kill. The guy is a joke! FIRE maturi NOW!!!

You could say for some it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Or for some of us, that straw came long ago, and the camel has been dead for a few years. And yesterday a bird flew over and took a huge dump on the carcass.

Why?

Focused on Football Only:

• Waited too long to fire Mason, although you can argue the stadium deal factored in that.
  • OK, so don't fire him to get the stadium, but then give him an extension with stipulations, instead of a contract that costs the school so much. If he leaves, he leaves under those circumstances, but Joel was in the drivers seat. No one was beating down Mason's door at that time.
  • When you do fire him, have an idea of what you want to do.
  • When you do fire him, to take the next step forward, don't roll the dice on someone without ANY HC experience. A head coaching job in the Big Ten IS NOT an entry level position.
  • His choice took the football program back to the Wacker days, at least then we were out of the game, but we could score
  • His hire of Jerry Kill played out poorly. Kill may end up being the right coach, but Joel undermined his own efforts with his quotes in the press about the process.
  • He did not deliver a coach with the instant credibility needed to offset the failure of Tim Brewster
  • His communication in the press has hurt the program each time he fired a coach and set his sites on the next one.
  • He is in charge, and on his watch, the program has gone significantly backwards. In most cases when you have an absolute failure of a hire like Tim Brewster proved to be, both the AD and the Coach disappear.

He has done some things well, but his failures in these areas have been extremely visible and extremely costly to the overall success of his job. There is no other school in the Big Ten where the AD would survive these types of situations.

There have been a confluence of events that have saved Joel's job up until this point. If the new administration accepts his performance as acceptable, lower your expectations for this ever turning around.

Idiotic. Does Donna Shalala care if Miami wins or is she a Badger at heart? Does Dave Doeren care if Northern Illinois wins or is he a Badger at heart? Does Bret Bielema care if Wisconsin wins or is he a Hawkeye at heart?

Why would the Timberwolves hire Rick Adelman...he's a Trailblazer at heart!!!!!!!

Idiotic...? If you're capable, think about it with an open mind .

Maturi has a hard time making a decision and when he does it is usually wrong.

1.) Monson - He lost control of the team the year Humpries played, he was never going to be effective after that happened. It took Maturi three years to get rid of him, amid rumors that he fired Monson the year before he actually did it. Again another mid season firing. Who would want to coach in an environment like that, he is lucky he got Tubby.

2.) Mason - Fired him on impulse after the bowl game without any plan about going forward.

3.) Brewster - Really was the result of number 2, but turned into an awfull choice. The mid season firing really doesn't instill confidence.

He has completely botched these two programs. If there is any fan based left it is a wonder at all. Tubby and BB may save whatever is left of Maturi's legacy this year.

Top Bottom