Should Tubby start playing EE?

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
GophersBBGuy Myron P. Medcalf
Tubby says he's "serious" about pulling Elliott Eliason's redshirt and playing him, says he's played extremely well in practice.

I'm not sure if I want Tubby to drop his red shirt. What do you guys think?

Can't we get by with a 10 man rotation? I would prefer to see him get redshirted.

He also said Nolen told him he might not be 100% all year.

I'm not sure if I want Tubby to drop his red shirt. What do you guys think?

Count me as one not in favor of it. Unless he is playing better than anyone could have ever dreamed of - he's a big man, that's very skinny and young. The gift of being able to sit him for the year and have him develop is such an asset to him - and to us, to get him his 5th year.

I'd say unless we have another injury, to sit him. We got along fine with just Colt and Ralph last year, now we have Trevor too - so a very big, talented inside presence.

No. The kid hasn't played in a game all year and you expect him to jump into Big Ten level of play. Might be a little overwhelming!

Not to state the obvious but... if Tubby wants to play him I'm all for it.

If all the 'bigs' are back next year - they could possibly redshirt EE his sophomore year.

NEXT YEARS BIGS if everyone comes back and positions (imo)

RS3 4-5
C45 4-5
MBK 4-5
MO 4-5
EE 4-5
OTO 3-4
RW 3-4
DD 3-4
HVSN 3

My first reaction is to say no, but what do I know?

What are the odds of Mo getting a medical redshirt? I think that ways into the decision...

What are the odds of Mo getting a medical redshirt? I think that ways into the decision...

for the 100th time. There is no medical redshirt. There is hardship waiver, but he already played too many games for that. Don't make GopherWarrior come in here...

Absolutely asinine topic. No way they would waste a year of eligibility on a kid who MIGHT play 5 minutes a game (if that) especially when the season is almost half over. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Also, this medical redshirt nonsense needs to stop.

A) like someone mentioned it's called a hardship waiver...and...

B) you don't apply for it until the last season of your career and you've lost almost 2 full season to injury.

If all the 'bigs' are back next year - they could possibly redshirt EE his sophomore year.

Huh? Why would they let him play this year and then sit him next year... that doesn't make sense, rrjackIII...

However, I do agree with what you said before. If Tubby thinks its a good idea, then so do I. Tubby knows way more about this kid and about his potential than any of us could ever know, so I'll be fine with whatever he wants to do...

I would like him to play... without Mo against Wisconsin, both Ralph and Trevor were in foul trouble... an extra big would help that...

Huh? Why would they let him play this year and then sit him next year... that doesn't make sense, rrjackIII...

However, I do agree with what you said before. If Tubby thinks its a good idea, then so do I. Tubby knows way more about this kid and about his potential than any of us could ever know, so I'll be fine with whatever he wants to do...

I would like him to play... without Mo against Wisconsin, both Ralph and Trevor were in foul trouble... an extra big would help that...

Unless Tubby plans to play him at least 10-15 minutes a game then he shouldn't do it. I'd rather see Rodney fill in at power forward if we get in foul trouble.

I cannot say for sure but I thought it has happened sometime in the past where someone played their Freshman year and then wore a redshirt their Sophomore year. I know it rarely happens and perhaps the situation I (vaguely) remember involved an injury in the Sophomore year.

But, if if if EE sheds his redshirt this year and all the bigs come back it might be worth considering a redshirt for EE in year 2 --- or maybe a Redshirt for MO (HIS SOPHOMORE YEAR) if he needs more time to recover from what sounds like a very serious injury.

I guess I am not bent out of shape as some are for suting up EE this year. If Tubby thinks he can play, why not. Its not as if the players we have now will be our team in 4 years. Players come and go and Tubby has proved that he can recruit good players. If EE had to redshirt in the first place, to me that means he is the type of player that can be recruited again down the road. Its not like we are pulling the redshirt from our secret weapon.

FTB

for the 100th time. There is no medical redshirt. There is hardship waiver, but he already played too many games for that. Don't make GopherWarrior come in here...

HUGE LOL !!

Exactly what I thought as I read this post.

:D

I cannot say for sure but I thought it has happened sometime in the past where someone played their Freshman year and then wore a redshirt their Sophomore year. I know it rarely happens and perhaps the situation I (vaguely) remember involved an injury in the Sophomore year.

But, if if if EE sheds his redshirt this year and all the bigs come back it might be worth considering a redshirt for EE in year 2 --- or maybe a Redshirt for MO (HIS SOPHOMORE YEAR) if he needs more time to recover from what sounds like a very serious injury.

Jeff Hagen played his freshman year and then redshirted the next year I believe.

Absolutely asinine topic. No way they would waste a year of eligibility on a kid who MIGHT play 5 minutes a game (if that) especially when the season is almost half over. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

B) you don't apply for it until the last season of your career and you've lost almost 2 full season to injury.

What are the chances that Mo uses a medical redshirt this year?.............

LOL, I just wanted to raise Art's blood pressure!

Ultimately Tubby will sit down with EE and make the best decision for the team and player. That being said, the type of games that we need EE the most (OSU, UW, MSU, Purdue) are exactly the type of games that we don't want EE getting a ton of minutes due to his in-experience so I would definitely say do not play him this year.

Go Gophers!!

Why do people get so bent out of shape when someone uses the term "medical redshirt?" We all know what they mean. Or do we? Whatever it is, Orseske and Rallis benefitted from it in football without losing almost two seasons OR applying their senior year. They won't get a sixth year, but they were granted redshirts after being injured early enough in the season.

I could see that I suppose, but I just think that if Tubby thinks he's ready to play now, he'll only be better next year, so why sit
him all season?

We shall see...

Jeff Hagen played his freshman year and then redshirted the next year I believe.

Robb Litt GH Interview with Jeff Hagen

GH: You took your redshirt season after your freshman year which is very unique. How did that decision come about and how much did that extra year benefit you down the road?

Hagen: I wanted to take my redshirt because I knew that I would be a better player at 23 than I was at 18. I originally planned to redshirt my freshman year but coach Monson asked me if I would want to play as a Freshman on the night before our first game. I did play and actually had 11 points and my parents missed it because they were watching my sister play in the pavilion (I like to hold that over their heads). The reasoning was that I had been doing well in practices and both Rick Rickert and Jerry Holman were going to be coming in the following season. Coach and I both felt that I would get more playing time as a freshman than I would as a sophomore behind both Rick and Jerry. Looking back on that situation I feel that it benefited me greatly to get some experience and then have a season to work on what I needed to improve.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=908

I remember when guys had NAMES. Now with all of these acronyms I need a freakin' Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring to read these posts. I mean, I'm OK with MO and I'm OK with OTO, though Mo and Oto are easier to read. But I have no freakin' idea who HVSN is. Oh, wait, I get C45, cute, but I had to think about it. I s'pose I'm the only one who doesn't know the Secret Handshake, too. Jeez.

Is it just me or is this a bit much.

I can't imagine EE playing this year. If Mo had gotten hurt early in the Non Conference schedule it MIGHT have made sense but I don't think the team or EE would benefit at this point. I would think it would be overwhelming to try and get acclimated during the Big 10.

I remember when guys had NAMES. Now with all of these acronyms I need a freakin' Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring to read these posts. I mean, I'm OK with MO and I'm OK with OTO, though Mo and Oto are easier to read. But I have no freakin' idea who HVSN is. Oh, wait, I get C45, cute, but I had to think about it. I s'pose I'm the only one who doesn't know the Secret Handshake, too. Jeez.

Is it just me or is this a bit much.

Sorry. HVSN I meant Halvorsen

Just trying to be more efficient with my typing or trying to pretend like I know something about texting.

I remember the Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Rings but I never got one. I was a bigger fan of Flash Gordon.

What are the chances that Mo uses a medical redshirt this year?.............

LOL, I just wanted to raise Art's blood pressure!

I have a red shirt and some medical issues. Do I qualify?:cool02:

You say potato, I say who gives a shjt.

Top Bottom