Cory Joseph

ncgo4

Reaction score
Just watched Texas beat NC. Cory had about 20 points and hit the game winner at 1.4 secs to win by 2. He's a hoss and boy could we have used him!

Cory would have been a very nice player to have, but I’m not convinced that he is a lottery pick point guard. He’s playing almost 32 minutes a game and only averaging 2.9 assists on a Texas team with plenty of talent. He also seems no quicker than Devoe defensively, at least from the games I’ve seen.

That said, he certainly appears to be the better shooter of the two and would have greatly helped. Beyond Hoffarber and Joseph, we haven’t seen anyone else on this gopher team show themselves to be a reliable 3 point shooter. Hollins looks promising but doesn’t shoot much.

Obviously, Cory is still just a freshman though.

Would have been nice

But I'll take what we have. 4 decent/solid 4 year guys with Hollins and Coleman coming next year. The recruiting iron is hot and this is a big year with 4 Seniors to be. Hopefully a solid season will help lead to a very solid class filled with size, power and a solid PG (Marcus Paige your opportunity here is huge).

Funny. I had Gophers fans telling me that he wouldn't get playing time at Texas right off the bat. I'm sure glad I was right. A guard that can handle the ball as well as score was sorely needed on the Texas squad. With Hamilton coming on and Tristan Thompson in the paint the sky is the limit.

:cool02:

Cory would have been a very nice player to have, but I’m not convinced that he is a lottery pick point guard. He’s playing almost 32 minutes a game and only averaging 2.9 assists on a Texas team with plenty of talent.

Balbay is the starting PG. Joseph only really takes on that role when Balbay goes to the bench, and therefore doesn't have the same chances to generate assists as a full time PG. I'll take 2.9 assists with his recent scoring any day. The thing I like about his game is his focus on driving the lane if possible and either making a shot or getting to the line. I haven't really notice him being a liability defensively, but the season is still young. There are a lot of games left to be played.

That said, I'm not nearly as enamored with Joseph as I am with Tristan Thompson. He's a bonafide beast. The country didn't get to see that today because the officiating was incredibly bad. I literally can't believe we came away with a win.

Funny. I had Gophers fans telling me that he wouldn't get playing time at Texas right off the bat. I'm sure glad I was right. A guard that can handle the ball as well as score was sorely needed on the Texas squad. With Hamilton coming on and Tristan Thompson in the paint the sky is the limit.

:cool02:

CJ has remarkably similar numbers to DJ. I find that pretty incredible. As far as having him play on the team - of course you want him...but he's a player that needs development. If you watch his play closely it's hot or cold. Sometimes he is just too anxious and quick to go to the basket. He's hot right now, but don't expect this to last. Don't expect consistency, but expect a really good PG in a year or two. The way things are looking if we had him we would be a solid sweet 16 team in the next couple of years...TX is going to struggle, though. Which is always nice (still angry about the NCAA tourney game). Gotta love our team regardless with the way Hollins and Coleman are playing and improving though

Keep telling yourself that...

Thanks, bud. I will.

What a worthless post. Did you have anything to offer besides four words that leave you looking like a complete idiot?

Are you really trying to say that having a good inside presence along with a slashing scorer whom has a pure 3-point stroke and a talented guard is NOT cause for optimism? If so, please talk to your doctor about Prozac.

we have that times 3, hoffarber, sampson, mbakwe, walker, nolen, joeseph, but theres no need to get penisy. we beat NC by 5 without our full roster, so, its not like we think texas is a NC contender.

You came on here to gloat about CJ. That's been your only purpose on here all along. Do you have anything else to offer? Um, no, that's not what I'm trying to say... thanks for asking...

Anyway, the sky is not the limit for Texas. I don't know how you couldn't figure that that's what my post meant. The limit would be a NC. I'd bet my car that won't happen.

Thanks, bud. I will.

What a worthless post. Did you have anything to offer besides four words that leave you looking like a complete idiot?

Are you really trying to say that having a good inside presence along with a slashing scorer whom has a pure 3-point stroke and a talented guard is NOT cause for optimism? If so, please talk to your doctor about Prozac.

All this over the use of an effin' expression and semantics? Pathetic. Would it be better if I had said Texas' squad has a lot of potential? Is that ok? Will that not ruffle your golden jealous feathers?

And I didn't come on here to gloat. The ONLY time I ever showed up on the basketball board here was during Joseph's recruitment. I just wanted to point out that when the Gophers were recruiting Joseph, all I read on here was about how he'd be stupid to go to Texas because he wouldn't get any playing time. Just goes to show you that you can't believe everything you read by delusion golden homer gopher posters. Joseph is getting plenty of playing time and will continue to do so, to Texas' benefit.

Go Gophs eh?

You say you have 3 times Hamilton, Joseph, and Thompson and then go on to list 6 players. Shuffle your feet back to math class, son. You don't have a Hamilton, or a Thompson. Sorry.

we may not have a hamilton, but were darn close with williams, if he was as good a shooter he would be better. But we cerntainly do have a thompson, in fact we have 4. thompson is good for 7.4 rebs and 10.6 ppg. sampson is more equal with 11.7 ppg and 6 rebs a game. i could include mbakwe as equal to thompson, but the truth is hes much better, so ill keep it fair. you cant compete with 13 ppg and 10.5 rpg. face it even without your all world recruits we have more talent.

face it even without your all world recruits we have more talent.

What drugs are you on?

And your appraisal of Tristan Thompson simply sucks. He's just scratched the surface and his production will only increase.

haha right in conference play he will do better. wishful thinking. i still havent seen you reply to sampson or mbakwe, but your right tristan is by far better than both, even though his stats dont show it. hahaha. just stop your wrong, i hope we meet in the ncaa so nolen can terrorize joseph, rodney can hold hamilton to 10, and thompson can be a non factor, all the while blake makes 6 3s and shows you what a shooter looks like.

Keep telling yourself that...

And to respond, yes, I do think Thompson's production will increase during conference play. You won't see complete ticky-tack BS officiating in the Big XII. Take his averages now, save them, and let's compare them later.

All this? You're the one who blew this whole thing out of proportion. You freaked out about 4 words. Ruffle my golden jealous feathers? What am I jealous of? We're ranked ahead of you guys and you have all the talent in the world in your high schools.

You're right, the only time you came on here was to talk about the recruitment of Joseph. You came on here to talk about how he was going to go to Texas and now you came back to talk about how great he is. All you read on here was that he wouldn't get any playing time? Sure, I guess you can completely exaggerate to make your argument better. There were a few people who said he wouldn't necessarily start. They never said he wouldn't get any playing time and you know it.

We don't have a Thompson? If you're implying what I think you're implying (although I may be wrong), Trevor Mbakwe has definitely done better than Thompson so far.

All this over the use of an effin' expression and semantics? Pathetic. Would it be better if I had said Texas' squad has a lot of potential? Is that ok? Will that not ruffle your golden jealous feathers?

And I didn't come on here to gloat. The ONLY time I ever showed up on the basketball board here was during Joseph's recruitment. I just wanted to point out that when the Gophers were recruiting Joseph, all I read on here was about how he'd be stupid to go to Texas because he wouldn't get any playing time. Just goes to show you that you can't believe everything you read by delusion golden homer gopher posters. Joseph is getting plenty of playing time and will continue to do so, to Texas' benefit.

Go Gophs eh?

You say you have 3 times Hamilton, Joseph, and Thompson and then go on to list 6 players. Shuffle your feet back to math class, son. You don't have a Hamilton, or a Thompson. Sorry.

Not surprising that C Joseph is doing well. Tubby wouldn't have wanted him so badly if he wasn't good.

As for the TX poster, well yeah, I'm sure you're glad you got him, congrats. Frankly the annoyance you're feeling here is that most of us believe he should have come here, that he was coming here, and that it would have been better for him and the team if he had come here. Tubby is a better coach, and how many times do you get the chance to play in the back court with your brother? TX has a nice little talented team that always seems to underachieve under Barnes, and always loses underclassmen thus making a NC run highly unlikely at any time. Minnesota with Joseph would have been, we think a top team this year (heck, we ARE a top 20 team this year even WITHOUT Joseph) and NC contender next year. And yes, while TX's front line may have greater NBA potential down the road, MN's front line is significantly better at the college level. Better team, better coach, family.

That's why we are annoyed, though my personal speculation is that the family may not have wanted them playing together because DJ's best chance at the pro's is playing PG next year. What a back court that would have been though, to go with possibly the best front line in the country next year.

Well as Westbrook used to say.." The Big Ten is where the men play ". We'll see how Texas matches up against Michigan State tonight.

Well as Westbrook used to say.." The Big Ten is where the men play ". We'll see how Texas matches up against Michigan State tonight.

Sparty is a great, GREAT program, but it's not like we've never beaten them. The all-time series is 3-3.

Looking at play this season and the players, Texas actually matches up very well with Michigan State this season. If Michigan State had more bigs and a better inside presence, I'd be worried.

The matchup Texas had last week with UNC was way worse, but yet they overcame poor matchups and atrocious officiating in North Carolina to get a win.

Sparty is riding a 52-game home winning streak, so it will be tough to break that. But I think Texas will play them very close and it'll be a dogfight to the end. Should be a fun game to watch.

Not surprising that C Joseph is doing well. Tubby wouldn't have wanted him so badly if he wasn't good.

As for the TX poster, well yeah, I'm sure you're glad you got him, congrats. Frankly the annoyance you're feeling here is that most of us believe he should have come here, that he was coming here, and that it would have been better for him and the team if he had come here. Tubby is a better coach, and how many times do you get the chance to play in the back court with your brother? TX has a nice little talented team that always seems to underachieve under Barnes, and always loses underclassmen thus making a NC run highly unlikely at any time. Minnesota with Joseph would have been, we think a top team this year (heck, we ARE a top 20 team this year even WITHOUT Joseph) and NC contender next year. And yes, while TX's front line may have greater NBA potential down the road, MN's front line is significantly better at the college level. Better team, better coach, family.

That's why we are annoyed, though my personal speculation is that the family may not have wanted them playing together because DJ's best chance at the pro's is playing PG next year. What a back court that would have been though, to go with possibly the best front line in the country next year.

I love the "nice little talented team that always seems to underachieve under Barnes" comment coming from a fan of the program that hasn't had nearly the level of success Barnes has had. And just so you know, last year woke Barnes up. Before he thought he could rely on just tough defense and superior conditioning to get wins. Now he realizes that offense is pretty damn important too. So there have been some changes. Barnes isn't the same coach he was.

And if we want to speculate why Joseph made his decision it's not like Cory would have to have taken over the point to get some PT, so I don't see that whole line of thinking. I think he wanted to play on the same team as Tristan Thompson and that team just happened to be in sore need of a G that can shoot the ball.

Typical from you. I guess he wasn't a man earlier in the week with his beastly 4 and 5. Or his 6 and 5 vs. USC. Or his 3 and 4 vs. the great Sam Houston.

*crickets*

17 and 15 where the "men" play.

;)

*crickets*

Yeah, see its kinda hard to produce from the bench when you get ticky-tack fouls called on you. I would assume someone with your unparalleled basketball IQ would understand this. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. Is that what happened to Mbakwe against the mighty South Dakota State Jackrabbits?!?!?! 8 and 3?

And as far as my post being "typical"? Yeah, so typical. :rolleyes: About as typical as not one single poster on the "Michigan State goes down again" thread giving any credit to Texas whatsoever.

Just for your information, Sam Houston State has talent. Mocking them by sarcastically calling them "great" shows what little you know about them.

And yeah, as far as the whole "sky is the limit" comment, I still feel fine about it seeing as how Texas just beat North Carolina and Michigan State on the road in the same week. It'll take some serious injuries for me to not think this Texas squad has the potential to do great things.

Here's where you say, "Keep telling yourself that..."

By the way, I thought you "respected" my points related to basketball. Is that no longer the case? Either way, yes or no, Merry Christmas.

For those of you who think CJ will not go to the NBA. Here is a comparison of his stats so far vs Avery Bradley who was a 1st rd pick by the celtics...played at Findlay....went to Texas for 1 yr

avery 29.5 mins/gm....11.6 pts/gm...43.2 fg%/gm....37.5 3pt%/gm....2.1 assts/gm...2.9 rebs/gm...1/3 steals/gm
cory 32.5 mins/gm....11.6pts/gm....43.8 fg%/gm....41 3pt%/gm.....2.9 assts/gm....3.75 rebs/gm...1.1 steals/gm

plus cory is an excellent defender, dont kid yourself

and to all the posters who ridiculed him for his last shot against pitt....how about that shot agains NC???

no one here has ridiculed him. you texas fans are ridiculous. get a couple wins and your the best of the B12, once conference play comes and KSU, kansas, baylor, and maybe even Tex a&m beats you it will be different.

He's a solid player and I would have loved to see him come to the U...

...BUT, comparing his stats against mostly cupcakes like that is absurd. He's shown flashes of being a very solid player, but he's not some truly elite freshman. We all knew that in the recruiting process, and most of us know it now.

no one here has ridiculed him. you texas fans are ridiculous. get a couple wins and your the best of the B12, once conference play comes and KSU, kansas, baylor, and maybe even Tex a&m beats you it will be different.

There's only one Texas fan here. And I never said we were the best of the Big XII. I didn't know I was going to get a strawman argument for Christmas! Thank you, Santa!

He's a solid player and I would have loved to see him come to the U...

...BUT, comparing his stats against mostly cupcakes like that is absurd. He's shown flashes of being a very solid player, but he's not some truly elite freshman. We all knew that in the recruiting process, and most of us know it now.

BS...

He was the difference maker in many peoples minds. He was without a doubt considered elite amongst this board.

BS...

He was the difference maker in many peoples minds. He was without a doubt considered elite amongst this board.

I believe the psychological term you are looking for, GBM, is "selective memory."

Top Bottom