PA actually making effort to talk Gophers

Given the first line on the site, and I'll look somewhere else for an informed opinion:
"Is it just me due to the fact I don't follow college football on a daily basis, but are Golden Gopher talkers way off the map? They either are flying under the radar or I and few care."

It's not a conspiracy theory - it's fact that PA knows nothing about college football, as he admits in the blog. The argument has always been about the quality of Gopher football coverage, not the quantity.

His quote:
"Don't sleep on Middle Tennessee State because there (sic) QB DWIGHT DASHER is the deal, as evidenced here. This kid legitimately is big-time talent. I am beginning to think we lose the home opener."

Who do we play in the home opener, again?

Seriously, if PA had any integrity left (he doesn't), he should just stop trying. He wouldn't look so stupid, and we wouldn't have to put up with him poisoning people's minds.

I feel bad for the KFAN groupies. I bet they wish people didn't even bring it up here, because it is usually a slaughtering of posts that makes KFAN look worse.

I feel bad for the KFAN groupies. I bet they wish people didn't even bring it up here, because it is usually a slaughtering of posts that makes KFAN look worse.

It's not really that big of a deal.

With all of the complaining about not getting coverage from a particular outlet, I thought that perhaps an effort to get more Gophers football in to the mix would be appreciated. Pissing and moaning instead triumphs again.

It's not really that big of a deal.

With all of the complaining about not getting coverage from a particular outlet, I thought that perhaps an effort to get more Gophers football in to the mix would be appreciated. Pissing and moaning instead triumphs again.

Don't take it the wrong way. It's the same old story, uninformed opinions being offered by people that more people hear or read, than someone who can offer true insight, like MV.

It gets as tiring reading and hearing that as it is reading the pissing and moaning on this board.

Does this help if I remove the extra words and bold the crux of the argument?

There have been arguments about both. I'm not defending the content, but I'd see it as at least a glance in the right direction. If you would prefer no coverage, then so be it, but that seems a little backwards.

You could also try removing the stick from the crux of your ass.

dont fret, pa knows nothing about college football. NOTHING!!!! he's an nfl rube. the twins are in 1st place, 3 up on chicago and for two hours today he talked nfl. i've switched over to 1500. even reusse is a better listen than pa. i just wish kstp would put joe nelson and some one by his side and go after kfan and pa. 52 weeks of vikings is really annoying. he trys with gopher hockey - fails, gopher bball - fails and now gopher football. he knows nothing about college football in general, nothing.

Here's the thing. I live in the Chicago area and they rarely talk college sports, but when they do they some idea of what they're talking about. It amazes me that as big as CFB is and with only 1 major college here, that they don't have at least a few guys there that know CFB and follow the U. Its inexcusable that they don't and really its not on them. One thing MN fans simply don't understand about college is that your team is only as good as you demand it to be unless you're an L.A. school or Miami. Every other succesful program has fans that demand it to be succesful. Yea our circumstances were a bit different with the dome but if fans packed the stadium, demanded more media coverage, and cared about the program we'd be succesful pretty soon because the U would realize they HAVE to put a good product on the field to maintain that revenue stream, plus the school would have the money to spend on facilities and staff to allow us to compete with the big boys. If our fans demanded it, KFAN would cover the Gophers, but they don't . They simply complain amongst themselves.

There have been arguments about both. I'm not defending the content, but I'd see it as at least a glance in the right direction. If you would prefer no coverage, then so be it, but that seems a little backwards.

You could also try removing the stick from the crux of your ass.

I prefer quality coverage. I don't believe the multiple times people like Jike, myself and others have posted that request translates to "prefer no coverage". I personally believe terrible coverage is worse then no coverage. I, however, want QUALITY coverage. So in simple terms, I don't prefer no coverage. I prefer quality coverage. Which is why people with the same interest are posting articles from FBT, ESPN-Big Ten Blog, and other more reputable places. Those places provide quality coverage. If that means I have a stick in my ass, maybe you should borrow one, just make sure it is of quality material otherwise you might run down the path of "quantity" sticks.

I prefer quality coverage. I don't believe the multiple times people like Jike, myself and others have posted that request translates to "prefer no coverage". I personally believe terrible coverage is worse then no coverage. I, however, want QUALITY coverage. So in simple terms, I don't prefer no coverage. I prefer quality coverage. Which is why people with the same interest are posting articles from FBT, ESPN-Big Ten Blog, and other more reputable places. Those places provide quality coverage. If that means I have a stick in my ass, maybe you should borrow one, just make sure it is of quality material otherwise you might run down the path of "quantity" sticks.

Tell me again, oh wise Gopher sage, what variety of coverage do you prefer? I am not receptive to bold fonts and capitalization.

I get it. You want better coverage.

Here is the thing though, you're citing the most authoritative purveyors of Gopher football coverage to be two blogs (albeit one--FBT--is a very good one, and the other covers the gophers about 15% of the time), and a very vague "other more reputable places". That says a lot about the state of Gopher football coverage.

I realize I am in the minority around here for actually liking KFAN, but I should think at least some sort of effort to focus more on the Gophers would be seen as a step in the right direction. If you want to be a big time program, you need to command more attention, and like it or not, KFAN has a significant audience in this market. It's incredibly naive to have such a "we don't need you" attitude about it.

You are absolutely correct that I have to go to random internet sites, subscribe to paid radio, and rely on random posters to get Gopher football information. The fact that I have to reference those as my sources frustrate me. However, 1500 just took "the blogger" and put him on the radio. That is what I call a step in the right direction. Maybe we just have a difference in opinion on what quality means, and what effect it has on the casual Gopher fan.

The only thing I can control is by validating the media with clicks or air time. I am doing my best to validate Star Tribs new higher, as another step in the right direction, with clicks. I have no problem trying kfan again when people like you post it.

Can I correctly translate your opinion on the subject as. "Hey they gave an effort, so I'm happy." If not, maybe you can better articulate what you thought was a step in the right direction. Since what he wrote was on par with everything else I've seen from him. It didn't seem more or less. Does that makes sense as a question?

Oleboy might be onto something. Try and recall any time you have spent in another large American city and heard the sports radio chat that was heavy on the local college athletics. It might just be the way it is re: demographics/listnership and advertising in top 15-20 U.S. cities.

Sidenote: it is almost time for mouth guitar guy on KFAN at the fair.

We need quantity, not quality. Now, I'm not saying it should be completely haphazard coverage, but in general, we need the quantity. Only a very small portion of Minnesota is going to be diehard fans like us who want the quality of coverage like you can find with FBT, Gopherhole, etc. We just need the rest of the people in the state of Minnesota to CARE. Right now they don't care. They don't care enough to go "wow, PA was way off - the MTSU game is on the road." They don't even know who we play first. We need the quantity of media coverage to keep Gopher football at least in the minds of the MN sports fan.

Tell me again, oh wise Gopher sage, what variety of coverage do you prefer? I am not receptive to bold fonts and capitalization.

I get it. You want better coverage.

Here is the thing though, you're citing the most authoritative purveyors of Gopher football coverage to be two blogs (albeit one--FBT--is a very good one, and the other covers the gophers about 15% of the time), and a very vague "other more reputable places". That says a lot about the state of Gopher football coverage.

I realize I am in the minority around here for actually liking KFAN, but I should think at least some sort of effort to focus more on the Gophers would be seen as a step in the right direction. If you want to be a big time program, you need to command more attention, and like it or not, KFAN has a significant audience in this market. It's incredibly naive to have such a "we don't need you" attitude about it.

Don't bash Monk. It was Jike's and Monk's turn to bring up the "quality vs. quantity" message that always needs to be brought up when we talk about the media here. It was my turn last time; fortunately, I didn't get bashed for it. Next time, someone else will have to issue that reminder.

While I don't like KFAN much, I'm not going to pretend that I don't listen. I must like it enough to keep tuning in. But put me in the camp that much, much prefers to have no Gopher talk on that station compared to the crap they have. All they do is bash the program for laughs. That's fine, that's their right. But when they they bash without any information, it bothers me. If they want to have a real discussion about Gopher sports, all they need to do is bring on a guest, just like they do for all the other teams. It's not that hard. It's just not important to them.

All we can hope for is that the Gopher program becomes good enough for people to demand intelligent conversation. Or, maybe 1500 can continue to out-maneuver KFAN on Gopher sports. Then it will be on us to enhance their ratings.

You are absolutely correct that I have to go to random internet sites, subscribe to paid radio, and rely on random posters to get Gopher football information. The fact that I have to reference those as my sources frustrate me. However, 1500 just took "the blogger" and put him on the radio. That is what I call a step in the right direction. Maybe we just have a difference in opinion on what quality means, and what effect it has on the casual Gopher fan.

The only thing I can control is by validating the media with clicks or air time. I am doing my best to validate Star Tribs new higher, as another step in the right direction, with clicks. I have no problem trying kfan again when people like you post it.

Can I correctly translate your opinion on the subject as. "Hey they gave an effort, so I'm happy." If not, maybe you can better articulate what you thought was a step in the right direction. Since what he wrote was on par with everything else I've seen from him. It didn't seem more or less. Does that makes sense as a question?

My opinion is that it is a starting point. If more Gophers coverage leads to more Gophers fans listening, which leads to more informed Gophers fans listening, which leads to more feedback from Gophers fans, which leads to higher standards of quality...and so on.

For a team that is attempting to re-build from 40+ years of mediocrity on the field, it shouldn't come as a total shocker that re-building our public image won't happen overnight either.

I just don't understand why one would be so dismissive of exposure from the leading local sports radio station (I assume, I admittedly don't know the ratings figures). Send PA an e-mail about how his piece is flawed. Hell, I'll do it myself. Be a part of the solution, etc.

Send PA an e-mail about how his piece is flawed. Hell, I'll do it myself. Be a part of the solution, etc.

I would rather see a post in GopherHole from PA or KFAN Management apoligizing to Gopher football fans for years of mistreatment by their on-air staff. As a matter of fact, I DEMAND that they say that they are sorry and won't ever do it again. Short of that I have other options for listening to sports on the radio. Good luck to KFAN. They are now going to have to compete for a local sports audience for the first time in their history.

My nose...

My opinion is that it is a starting point. If more Gophers coverage leads to more Gophers fans listening, which leads to more informed Gophers fans listening, which leads to more feedback from Gophers fans, which leads to higher standards of quality...and so on.

For a team that is attempting to re-build from 40+ years of mediocrity on the field, it shouldn't come as a total shocker that re-building our public image won't happen overnight either.

I just don't understand why one would be so dismissive of exposure from the leading local sports radio station (I assume, I admittedly don't know the ratings figures). Send PA an e-mail about how his piece is flawed. Hell, I'll do it myself. Be a part of the solution, etc.

I may be in the minority here but in just reading a few posts in this thread, I can't help but come to the following conclusion;

The posts of "positively4thstreet" have entirely too much of a combination of being articulate while at the same time being defensive to not be professionally affiliated with the subject of discussion (KFAN?) in some way. At least that's what my nose is telling me right about now. Just a guess...

Positively4thStreet could be a poker-esque moniker based on the popular book by James McManus "Positively 5th Street." So it could be Sludge. However, it may also more likely be a take on the Bob Dylan song. So, it could be anyone.

Holy Crap!!!! We got a BLURB on PA's show page. Unbelievable. Did Mase's Gophers ever get that?

Thank you PA, Thank you!!!!

I have posted this once and ill say it again. This is not a Gophers sports state. This is a pro state. Vikings will always come first and then Twins. If there is any news about those two teams, which there is. Since the twins are winding down and in playoff contention and the Vikings starting up obviously. The only way I think the gophers football team would get a lot of coverage is if it was a winter sport because they might and thats a big might be bigger then the T'wolves. I dont know who he likes to bash more Brewster or Kahn. Im really not trying to bash the goph's cuz i would personally love more coverage. They are my second favorite team in the state after the Vikings. PA only knowledgable in the twins and vikings anyways. So of course hes gonna talk about them. He is trying to work the gophers in though as someone previously stated.

Positively4thStreet could be a poker-esque moniker based on the popular book by James McManus "Positively 5th Street." So it could be Sludge. However, it may also more likely be a take on the Bob Dylan song. So, it could be anyone.

There is a mural on the side of a building in dinkytown that says "Positively 4th Street" which includes a silhouette of Dylan. 4th St is the main street through dinkytown, so i think his moniker is an indirect reference to dinkytown. I like it.

Even though PA doesn't know much about college football, I think it is a good thing that he is making an effort to discuss it. He usually tries to be fair in his analysis, and doesn't seem to have an agenda like others on KFAN. It can only help draw in more casual fans by at least discussing the gophers. I would imagine over time PA will become more educated regarding the gophers. They must sense some sort of growing interest in gopher football if they are making the effort to discuss it.

...I would imagine over time PA will become more educated regarding the gophers...

Are you sure about this point? With PA's schedule in the fall of having a daily radio show and then doing Vikings play-by-play on weekends (both of which could be full time jobs, IMO), I doubt he even has the time to watch the Gophers play. Let alone take the time to actually study them and become educated enough to talk about them at a level that wouldn't insult the type of fans that visit GopherHole.

PA's show would be better off having a guest come in a couple of times a week like Justin Conzemius does on the morning show. A twenty minute segment on Fridays to look at the upcoming game and on Mondays to talk about the game after the fact would probably get me to tune in. As it is, I haven't listened to more than 10 minutes of KFAN in a single sitting since their signing day "coverage". That was the straw that broke this camels back.

I would imagine over time PA will become more educated regarding the gophers.

Sweet. I imagine the first 12 years of his radio show were just too hectic. Now that he feels comfortable, he can spend some time getting educated. Good times.

I may be in the minority here but in just reading a few posts in this thread, I can't help but come to the following conclusion;

The posts of "positively4thstreet" have entirely too much of a combination of being articulate while at the same time being defensive to not be professionally affiliated with the subject of discussion (KFAN?) in some way. At least that's what my nose is telling me right about now. Just a guess...

I'm not employed by KFAN.

The animosity towards, and at times even scapegoating of, KFAN is just a little perplexing to me. I thought the fact that they are making an overture to provide better Gophers coverage would be appreciated by a community that is so dissatisfied with the current media treatment of this organization, but I was wrong. People around here seem too entrenched in their anti-KFAN beliefs to recognize opportunity. That's fine, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I just hope that shortsighted demeanor isn't indicative of all Gophers fans.

And yes, for the record my user name is in reference to the Bob Dylan song.

This just tells you that we are living in a different media world up here compared to other college football locales. This is overboard, and I wouldn't want our media to go this far, but it backs up that assertions of many here who believe other college football programs have it pretty easy.

Wearing Florida hat to press conference gets Arkansas radio host fired

Wearing the wrong hat can cost you your job in Arkansas. Northwest Arkansas radio personality Renee Gork found that out Monday.

Gork, a Florida graduate, wore a hat of her alma mater to a news conference by Arkansas football coach Bobby Petrino on Saturday.

Petrino commented on Gork's choice of headwear after answering a question she asked.

"And that will be the last question I answer with that hat on," Petrino said.

Gork, an on-air personality for Springdale radio station KAKS, which calls itself Hog Sports Radio, said she was fired Monday by the station.

"Was hoping to publicly apologize to coach Petrino and UA fans on the show today ... but I won't get that chance," Gork wrote on KAKS' Twitter account. "I've been fired."

KAKS general manager Dan Storrs was clear that loyalty to the home state was important.

"This radio station is Hog Sports Radio," he said. "We are very biased. We support the Razorbacks 100%."

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...s-conference-gets-arkansas-radio-host-fired/1

Our local media is quite weird. There is a perception that it is normal for the media to be hostile t the local team. But that's just living in a bubble, in most areas, the media really are cheerleaders for the local team. It's NOT normal for the media to feel they need to insert cheap shots at every opportunity. It's NOT normal to have people covering sports who know little and care little about sports: someone who knows and cares about sports will take their job away. It's just that people have gotten so used to the unusual product which is all that they have been allowed to have that they think that it is normal.

Top Bottom