Why are we looking at 0 and 2 star players?

GopherFish

Reaction score
First Oto and then Maverick. Seriously, just bank the scholarship and bring in some walk-ons who probably are just as talented like Stark. We really don't need D2 talent tying up scholarships for four or five years.

To me, this is a legit point. I'm sick of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty recruits, too.

To me, this is a legit point. I'm sick of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty recruits, too.

Way to be a fan! Did you ever think Tubby knows more than some website? Or that the website is just off?

Good plan; let's condemn the kids to labels like that before they have even stepped on the court once. At least give them a somewhat legit chance before bashing them anonymously on the internet like the big man/expert that you are.

I agree, troll or not, I think this is an interesting question.

I think it is harsh to write off Oto and Maverick, and concentrate on the star system. It's spring recruiting and you have take a chance on landing a diamond in the rough to fill your spots. But that's the thing, do we need to fill our spots? Don't you think we'd have a much better chance at landing a player more talented and better fitting to our system next year? With all the talk about the depth of talent in Minnesota in 2011?

I can understand going after a PG, with all the uncertainty surrounding the position. But Oto, how much is he going to contribute next season? Isn't he supposed to be kind of a project? If we aren't expecting much out of him next year, we really should have saved the scholarship for 2011, in my opinion. Not just because we could have grabbed someone more talented, but we would also understand the Mbakwe/Cobbs situations better and would have more room to adjust recruiting to fill our needs.

Again, I'm not trying to write these kids off. I hope they have great careers and I will cheer for them as long as they don that Gopher jersey. It isn't the individuals I am questioning, it's more me being puzzled by the recruiting philosophy this spring.

For the record, 0 stars means they have not been evaluated yet. He could be a 2-star or a 5-star talent, you won't know untill he gets on campus. I'm looking forward to these guys wearing Gopher uniforms.

Clearly Tubby knows more than any of us about the game of basketball and evaluating talent. That fact is undisputed.

HOWEVER - Tubby is only looking at these guys AFTER some other more desirable options have fallen through. In the case of Maverick, he has hardly seen him play at all.

Obviously there is cause for concern because even Tubby, the man doing the recruiting and evaluation thought highly of different players than the ones he is trying to bring in during the 25th hour.

These are the leftover recruits. Will they be terrible? Will they be great? We don't know. But it is completely justified to be concerned because these guys weren't at the top of the list of recruits that Tubby wanted - and most BCS schools felt the same as well.

You can't use the "Tubby knows more than you" argument in this case.

Really? We needed another thread for this same topic that's being discussed throughout the board already?

First Oto and then Maverick. Seriously, just bank the scholarship and bring in some walk-ons who probably are just as talented like Stark. We really don't need D2 talent tying up scholarships for four or five years.

Both Osenieks and Ahanmisi have D1 talent. Each was offered scholarships by multiple D1 schools. Both are classic late spring recruits, talented. Perhaps underrated. Certainly underEVALUATED.

HOWEVER - Tubby is only looking at these guys AFTER some other more desirable options have fallen through. In the case of Maverick, he has hardly seen him play at all.

Obviously there is cause for concern because even Tubby, the man doing the recruiting and evaluation thought highly of different players than the ones he is trying to bring in during the 25th hour.

These are the leftover recruits. Will they be terrible? Will they be great? We don't know. But it is completely justified to be concerned because these guys weren't at the top of the list of recruits that Tubby wanted - and most BCS schools felt the same as well.

Have to agree with Josh.

Why are we having this uncertainty again with our recruiting classes?

Have to agree with Josh.

Why are we having this uncertainty again with our recruiting classes?

Were you asleep?

Two players transferred this spring. These are late replacements.

Like Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch at Kentucky in spring of 2000.

Neither highly rated but both made NBA eventually.

Maybe people aren't getting the concept of having three unanticipated scholarship spots to fill during the spring, and hence, forcing you to have to suddenly dig deep for underexposed talent in hopes they will blossom under your tutelage. It's not like Tubby could have gone into the 2010 recruiting season and said, "You know, I think Cobbs is gonna end up transferring, Royce White will never play for my squad, and Paul Carter's family would unfortunately go through what they've been through so far, so I'm gonna recruit like I got 6 spots, not 3."

Circumstances have occured which have, basically, put Tubby in a bad place as far as needing spots to just fill the roster out and he's going deep in the talent pool for it. As someone has mentioned, probably multiple times, if Tubby knew he would have to fill 5 or 6 schollies prior to the recruiting season, the class would definitely have a completely different look to it. Alas, he didn't, so here we are.

Were you asleep?

If you would have asked yesterday I probably would have said yes.

I'm referring beyond 2010.

Suggestion for those reading this thread. Read Monty 519's post thoroughly. An excellent summation.

It's pretty obvious why we're searching for scraps right now and have to take a couple chances. It's the hand Tubby was dealt. The iffy situations of Nolen & Mbakwe don't help, either.

Scholarship situations almost always find a way of working themselves out. If a couple of these spring guys aren't Big Ten caliber, they won't be around long & we'll fill their spot with better players when presumably stability (no Royce drama, no player leaving because of family issue, no Mbakwe trial, no Nolen academic concerns) returns. That's just the way it is.

Were you asleep?

Two players transferred this spring. These are late replacements.

Like Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch at Kentucky in spring of 2000.

Neither highly rated but both made NBA eventually.

FOT, I wish that some of the people on this board could find the games that those two players played at UK and watch them. Gerald by himself beat Izzo's MSU in FORD center. Erik was the smartest basketball player that I have ever seen. Those guys were so much fun to watch. Hopefully, we'll have the same type of players here too.

Go Gophers.

FOT, I wish that some of the people on this board could find the games that those two players played at UK and watch them. Gerald by himself beat Izzo's MSU in FORD center. Erik was the smartest basketball player that I have ever seen. Those guys were so much fun to watch. Hopefully, we'll have the same type of players here too.

Go Gophers.

Fitch was a late replacement for Rashaad Carruth, who was booted off UK team in April 2000.

Daniels was signed when Darius Rice continued to "put off" UK and ultimately signed at Miami FL.

Fitch and Daniels made it to the NBA. Neither Carruth nor Rice made it.

If you would have asked yesterday I probably would have said yes.

I'm referring beyond 2010.

I think Minnesota is in good shape for 2011 with probably only 3 scholarships open. I'd bet that 2 will be filled this summer and the 3rd by this fall.

You may go back to sleep and not worry about 2011.

Both Osenieks and Ahanmisi have D1 talent. Each was offered scholarships by multiple D1 schools. Both are classic late spring recruits, talented. Perhaps underrated. Certainly underEVALUATED.

That is your opinion. It is not a fact whether or not they are underRATED or underEVALUATED. I think that's what you hope, but it may not be a fact. You are a obviously subjective to the Gophers -- which is fine -- but remember, there is a chance Oto and Maverick just aren't all that good.

I think Minnesota is in good shape for 2011 with probably only 3 scholarships open. I'd bet that 2 will be filled this summer and the 3rd by this fall.

You may go back to sleep and not worry about 2011.

Will those two be instate recruits?

That is your opinion. It is not a fact whether or not they are underRATED or underEVALUATED. I think that's what you hope, but it may not be a fact. You are a obviously subjective to the Gophers -- which is fine -- but remember, there is a chance Oto and Maverick just aren't all that good.

It's an ABSOLUTE fact. The recruiting services can't look at everybody. They simply can't.

Neither Brehm Prep nor Stoneridge Prep played an extensive schedule. No one scouts the Euro guys.

The OP is completely right. For every guy like this that succeeds there is a bunch of Jonathan Williams type players, but for some reason Gopher fans believe every one of them is a diamond in the rough.

We're in a big time conference with a big time coach, we shouldn't be messing around with guys like this.

For some reason that's a very difficult concept for countless people on this board to grasp.

Maybe people aren't getting the concept of having three unanticipated scholarship spots to fill during the spring, and hence, forcing you to have to suddenly dig deep for underexposed talent in hopes they will blossom under your tutelage. It's not like Tubby could have gone into the 2010 recruiting season and said, "You know, I think Cobbs is gonna end up transferring, Royce White will never play for my squad, and Paul Carter's family would unfortunately go through what they've been through so far, so I'm gonna recruit like I got 6 spots, not 3."

Circumstances have occured which have, basically, put Tubby in a bad place as far as needing spots to just fill the roster out and he's going deep in the talent pool for it. As someone has mentioned, probably multiple times, if Tubby knew he would have to fill 5 or 6 schollies prior to the recruiting season, the class would definitely have a completely different look to it. Alas, he didn't, so here we are.

It's pretty obvious why we're searching for scraps right now and have to take a couple chances. It's the hand Tubby was dealt. The iffy situations of Nolen & Mbakwe don't help, either.

Another possible reason that Tubby is apparently reaching for scraps and hoping to find a diamond in the rough rather than banking the scholarships for next year is that perhaps Tubby doesn't plan on staying here for the long haul. If that is the case, there wouldn't be much incentive for for him to bank schollies for a future team that doesn't include him as the coach - why not take a flyer on an overlooked prospect who could turn out to be a late bloomer that would help the team this season while he's still the coach?

I hope this scenario doesn't play out and Tubby stays as the Gophers coach for many years, but the talent reach does make me slighly suspicious even though there were extenuating circumstances for the spring signings.

Notice the word PERHAPS. That implies it's an opinion. YOU often state opinions or things that are yet to be determined as facts.

Paranoid?

Another possible reason that Tubby is apparently reaching for scraps and hoping to find a diamond in the rough rather than banking the scholarships for next year is that perhaps Tubby doesn't plan on staying here for the long haul. If that is the case, there wouldn't be much incentive for for him to bank schollies for a future team that doesn't include him as the coach - why not take a flyer on an overlooked prospect who could turn out to be a late bloomer that would help the team this season while he's still the coach?

I hope this scenario doesn't play out and Tubby stays as the Gophers coach for many years, but the talent reach does make me slighly suspicious even though there were extenuating circumstances for the spring signings.

PCs situation is unfortunate, no doubt. But to blame the mediocrity of the last two recruits on unintended circumstances is bs. You recruit as a backup. You don't throw all your eggs in one basket. We knew there was a good chance White would never play months ago. Theres been rumors about Cobbs transfering for months also and you have to think they knew about it before we did. Also, this wouldn't be a problem if we already had a couple studs coming in. But all 5 recruits are the same, projects. Maybe underrated but maybe not. Elliason has nice size but is way to raw to play the next couple years. If Hollins was really good, don't you think his dad being a NBA head coach would have given some increase exposure, connections in the college game to get more offers. Don't act like this Maverick kid is any good either, I hope i am pleasently surprised, but I would count on it. There are no pgs this year, everyone is looking for them. That juco that decommited from Auburn? is the greatest thing since slice bread now. We dropped the ball on Brust, that was a major mistake which could end up costing us. I like the players in the program now, but we seem to be regressing. Hopefully Rodney can take a big leap (no pun intended) in his skill set. Hopefully we have enough players to let these raw recruits a chance to develop. It also hurts us that the quality of the instate recruit is down. Would be nice to have a Trent Lockett on this team. Thats my two cents.

PCs situation is unfortunate, no doubt. But to blame the mediocrity of the last two recruits on unintended circumstances is bs. You recruit as a backup. You don't throw all your eggs in one basket. We knew there was a good chance White would never play months ago. Theres been rumors about Cobbs transfering for months also and you have to think they knew about it before we did. Also, this wouldn't be a problem if we already had a couple studs coming in. But all 5 recruits are the same, projects. Maybe underrated but maybe not. Elliason has nice size but is way to raw to play the next couple years. If Hollins was really good, don't you think his dad being a NBA head coach would have given some increase exposure, connections in the college game to get more offers. Don't act like this Maverick kid is any good either, I hope i am pleasently surprised, but I would count on it. There are no pgs this year, everyone is looking for them. That juco that decommited from Auburn? is the greatest thing since slice bread now. We dropped the ball on Brust, that was a major mistake which could end up costing us. I like the players in the program now, but we seem to be regressing. Hopefully Rodney can take a big leap (no pun intended) in his skill set. Hopefully we have enough players to let these raw recruits a chance to develop. It also hurts us that the quality of the instate recruit is down. Would be nice to have a Trent Lockett on this team. Thats my two cents.

Pretty goofy comments, I think.

Rumors about transferring aren't the same as actually doing so. Ahanmisi and Osenieks are decent replacements for the 2 late transfers.

Hollins was recruited by many Southern schools and is well regarded as a prospect.

Eliason is 2-time Gatorade POY in Nebraska. Maurice Walker was Mr. Basketball in Ontario and helped lead his Prep school team to a national Prep title this year.

Top Bottom