Are Wall and Cousins toting their backpacks?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
How many of you think John Wall and Demarcus Cousins are spending time in a Kentucky classroom this afternoon? Better yet, have they set foot in a classroom in the last 3 weeks?

They never unpacked them, first semester grades were assigned before they stepped on campus.

In the next couple of weeks, they'll probably officialy de-enroll. They're not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed, so I'm sure they can't wait to get outta there.

Admittedly, I'd have a severe case of freshmanitis :) if I knew I was leaving school for the NBA draft as a top 5 pick. However, it's up to the coach, school, and administrators to make sure they complete their school work and maintain some level of integrity to the process. If you want some teeth to the policy, you can make it that way. Vince Carter has said one of his biggest regrets was letting himself slide and take incompletes or failing grades after he knew he wasn't coming back. He ended up completing his degree later on but it took a much bigger effort.

The one player at Duke that tried to pull that was asked to leave the school/campus completely and immediately: William Avery. He's the one player that I can think of that has never been asked back for reunion events/weekends for former Duke players.

In the next couple of weeks, they'll probably officialy de-enroll. They're not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed, so I'm sure they can't wait to get outta there.

Is that fact? What are you basing that on? From what I have heard, Wall is a very good student and has put a lot of effort into getting good grades.

Wall actually had a 3.8 GPA in the fall. From everything I have heard all the kids are still going to classes this semester.

But don't let that stop you from stereotyping and taking cheap shots at 18 year kids.

Wall actually had a 3.8 GPA in the fall. From everything I have heard all the kids are still going to classes this semester.

But don't let that stop you from stereotyping and taking cheap shots at 18 year kids.

+1

"From everything I have heard all the kids are still going to classes this semester."

Well that settles it then. Now I can sleep at night knowing that a fellow chatboard comrade has verified they're still going to class. It must be true.

"From everything I have heard all the kids are still going to classes this semester."

Well that settles it then. Now I can sleep at night knowing that a fellow chatboard comrade has verified they're still going to class. It must be true.

Two things, I live in Lexington,Ky and what I hear is probably a little more relevant that what you might.

Second, I've actually heard they are going to school, whereas you don't have a clue whether they are or not and deem it OK to take a cheap shot at the kids and assume they are not because of.....well....I don't know why you would think that but I'm sure it doesn't involve stereotyping. So, that's what should make you a little less cozy when you sleep at night, not whether or not they are actually going to class since besides taking a shot at them and UK, you couldn't possibly care less what they are doing.

It's ironic that someone that follows Minnesota and the troubles their kids have had this year taking a shot at another University and their players.

Personally I don't care either way. I give them way more props for going to class than I would diss them for not going. Maybe some of you haven't been in school for a while or maybe some of you are just jerks, but the reality is that a ton of college freshmen skip class all the time for reasons like 'I'm hungover', 'its a beautiful day, ' its a Tuesday. Why go to class on Tuesday?', etc. How many 18 yr olds would go to class knowing that there is absolutely 0 penalty if they don't, and that its fairly pointless as they're going to be a top 3 pick in the NBA in a few months and sign a multi million dollar contract. Even if they value their education the reality is that the best thing to do for their future is to spend as much time as possible working on their game to maintain their draft stock and prepare for the NBA. Its a hard thing for anyone to go back and finish school while making millions so if they're mentally tough enough to do that they can also make up this semester then as well.

"It's ironic that someone that follows Minnesota and the troubles their kids have had this year taking a shot at another University and their players."

There's so much irony in this statement I don't know where to start.

Go Big Blue, yeeeeeeeehaw!

I doubt they've been going this semester, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't go either.

The system is the problem.

I doubt they've been going this semester, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't go either.

The system is the problem.

I think (don't know, not sure, etc) they probably ARE still going to class this spring at this point.

I'd guess Wall will eventually earn a college degree (like Michael Jordan did at UNC many years after he left school).

I doubt Cousins earns his degree but who knows?

You actually think UK basketball players are doing their own work? I actually went to school at UK and had a class that was full of UK football players..and let's just say they didn't have to do much to earn their grades. It was really a joke. I'm sure it's no different for bball players.

them simple folks in Kentucky don't care, SO why do gopher fans care?

How many of you think John Wall and Demarcus Cousins are spending time in a Kentucky classroom this afternoon? Better yet, have they set foot in a classroom in the last 3 weeks?

No. But in fairness they're tens if not hundreds of kids at other schools doing the same thing. A better question is did they even have to go to class fall semester? And how much did they earn wearing the old Kentucky blue this year?

ha...ha....ha...ha...ha....... good times.

You actually think UK basketball players are doing their own work? I actually went to school at UK and had a class that was full of UK football players..and let's just say they didn't have to do much to earn their grades. It was really a joke. I'm sure it's no different for bball players.

I graduated from UK. 1991. I'm aware of the perks basketball and football players get at UK. That doesn't mean they have their work done for them. Patrick Patterson just graduated in 3 years. That's pretty impressive. There is no doubt they get more help, tutoring and probably leeway than regular students, but I wouldn't claim they have their work done for them. The ones I knew sure didn't.

I understand there have been some UK fans on this board that haven't handled themselves well, but I also know many that have. There is no need to take shots at 18 year kids, especially when you have no clue on whether they are going to class or not. it's that kind of BS that I thought people on this board despised in fans of other teams when they come on here and start spewing that garbage about players such as White and Nolen.

Anyway, I'm glad Tubby got you to the NCAA and I hope he stays. I think he will continue to make progress there. He's a good coach and even better man and you're lucky to have him.

"It's ironic that someone that follows Minnesota and the troubles their kids have had this year taking a shot at another University and their players."

There's so much irony in this statement I don't know where to start.

Go Big Blue, yeeeeeeeehaw!

Why don't you just start at the beginning and go slow for this old hick. I'm sure if you don't use any big words and type in capital letters, I'll be able to follow it. :rolleyes:

The one player at Duke that tried to pull that was asked to leave the school/campus completely and immediately: William Avery. He's the one player that I can think of that has never been asked back for reunion events/weekends for former Duke players.

Good for them!

I graduated from UK. 1991. I'm aware of the perks basketball and football players get at UK. That doesn't mean they have their work done for them. Patrick Patterson just graduated in 3 years. That's pretty impressive. There is no doubt they get more help, tutoring and probably leeway than regular students, but I wouldn't claim they have their work done for them. The ones I knew sure didn't.

I understand there have been some UK fans on this board that haven't handled themselves well, but I also know many that have. There is no need to take shots at 18 year kids, especially when you have no clue on whether they are going to class or not. it's that kind of BS that I thought people on this board despised in fans of other teams when they come on here and start spewing that garbage about players such as White and Nolen.

Anyway, I'm glad Tubby got you to the NCAA and I hope he stays. I think he will continue to make progress there. He's a good coach and even better man and you're lucky to have him.

Patterson (et al) can graduate in 3 years because many players now attend summer school and take 6-12 hours then.

Tubby has 1 more NC but 1 fewer FF than Calipari does (in similar # of years as HC in Div I).

Patterson (et al) can graduate in 3 years because many players now attend summer school and take 6-12 hours then.

Tubby has 1 more NC but 1 fewer FF than Calipari does (in similar # of years as HC in Div I).

I don't know what the last line is supposed to mean. I'm a big Tubby fan. Love the guy and think he is a great coach. You don't have to carpet bomb me with all your stats, I know them myself. I defend Tubby against everyone.

This has nothing to do with Tubby but someone taking a shot at Wall and Cousins. All I'm saying is that I'm here in Lexington, A UK fan and alum and hear about Wall and Cousins everyday and what they have done in the community and the way they have handled themselves. It irritates me when people that live far away make comments they know nothing about.

As I mentioned, I'm sure some of the KY fans that came on this board and talked bad about Tubby and the Gophers taint some of the people on here about UK. I understand that. But, take shots at the fans or Calipari, if you must, not young men who have handled themselves very well since they have been at UK.

Wall seems like a good guy, but EVERYONE knows that Cousins is a jerk

Go Kentucky

bad+teeth.jpg

I don't know what the last line is supposed to mean. I'm a big Tubby fan. Love the guy and think he is a great coach. You don't have to carpet bomb me with all your stats, I know them myself. I defend Tubby against everyone.

This has nothing to do with Tubby but someone taking a shot at Wall and Cousins. All I'm saying is that I'm here in Lexington, A UK fan and alum and hear about Wall and Cousins everyday and what they have done in the community and the way they have handled themselves. It irritates me when people that live far away make comments they know nothing about.

As I mentioned, I'm sure some of the KY fans that came on this board and talked bad about Tubby and the Gophers taint some of the people on here about UK. I understand that. But, take shots at the fans or Calipari, if you must, not young men who have handled themselves very well since they have been at UK.

It means Time For Calipari To Win 1 not just get to FF.

Yep - if you ripped gopher players this way you would be bombarded with the "how do you know that" all day long...

Who cares if they are going to class anyway. They are a couple months away from making millions. No chance in hell I would be spending my time in school, I'd get an agent and start working out. BBall is their job, might as well begin training for it.

On a side note, there was a thread about two months ago about DJohnson and his pro prospects. Is he getting drafed in the 2nd round?:confused:

them simple folks in Kentucky don't care, SO why do gopher fans care?

Maybe I'm too "simple" to know I'm being insulted. As a Gopher fan who has proudly worn my ' TUBBY TIME" and "TUBBYVILLE" tees around here(Lexington) since 07 and defended the "movement" that is happening up there. Should I be insulted?

Just thought I would post this little update since it seems of interest.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-wall040110

Even if Wall decides to enter the draft – and let’s face it, it’s almost a certainty that he will – he said he’ll attend classes at Kentucky for the rest of the semester.

“I’m finishing out the semester,” he said. “No matter if I leave or stay, I’m going to finish it out. I don’t want to make it harder for me to come back and get my degree. I promised my dad before he died that I was going to go to college and get a degree. So if I leave I’m going to make sure to come back and get it.”

False. Calipari has never been to a Final Four.

Top Bottom