Auburn targeting Tubby?

I saw the same thing and heard it on KSTP this morning. I did a google search and thought I saw some conflicting information. In one piece it said that he is close to being hired but another piece said that Auburn wouldn't contact anybody until they were done with the season.

Why would he go to Auburn? Second fiddle school and never a basketball power. I spose if the money is there, it is warm, but I would sure hope he is not that eager to leave. Sources saying he is close to being hired worry me though.

they are opening up a brand new basketball arena and he has coached at two other SEC schools

they are opening up a brand new basketball arena and he has coached at two other SEC schools

so what? how is that any different from virginia (which is much more of a basketball school than auburn) last year? their building is basically brand new, they were willing to pay him a lot of money and tubby grew up in maryland. tubby is going to virginia before he ever goes to auburn. yet here tubby is still coaching at minnesota.

nope. smells like rank speculation by a third-tier wannabe journalist and his cloak and dagger source. who by the way "he trusts". :rolleyes:

Pretty sure he gets paid quite handsomely here too. The SEC might be worse than the PAC 10 after Coach Cal gets his sanctions at UK. I'm confident Tubs will stick around, he's got some good things going here.

Clearly Dodd has selected Xavier in his bracket.

First sentence in the report:

"Auburn is "close to hiring" Tubby Smith as its new basketball coach, a source that I trust told me Thursday night."​

Beginning of second sentence:

"It could be nothing."​

It can't be both.

So let me get this straight, instead of preparing his team for the Big Ten Tournament and the NCAA's, all Tubby has been working on is a deal to go coach Auburn. If someone put Dennis Dodd in front of me right now I'd be in front of a judge on Monday.

The Dodd last name should be an indication that they shouldnt be trusted *cough chris cough*

I really hate having to go through this every time there's a major DI coaching opening.

ESPN hasn't ran with this story, and they run with some pretty speculative stuff. I do not trust this story at all.

Like others said, Auburn probably has interest and leaked that, but at what point has Tubby had time to negotiate with Auburn, not to mention they would have needed permission to talk.

I really hate having to go through this every time there's a major DI coaching opening.

When you have a coach like Tubby, you will be going through things like this every time there is a major opening.

Not the worst problem to have. Like most others though, I believe he likes it here and will not be moving.

ESPN hasn't ran with this story, and they run with some pretty speculative stuff. I do not trust this story at all.

Like others said, Auburn probably has interest and leaked that, but at what point has Tubby had time to negotiate with Auburn, not to mention they would have needed permission to talk.

This x100000

CBSsports has a user feedback thing at the bottom, i submitted a report about how disgusting that is of him, and that them having it on their front page is equally bad

Oh here we, Myron is on KFAN right now, and they asked him about the rumor, and if you listen to Medcalf, Medcalf thinks it's a good possiblity. So no worries folks, Tubby is staying!

Wouldn't be surprised if this source was actually referring to Vince Taylor. Tubby seemingly out of nowhere was pushing Taylor as a head coaching candidate. The source probably referred to a Minnesota coach, and Dodd immediately thought Tubby.

The other factor here is that it's completely and totally possible they will offer Tubby the job, and completely and totally possible he'll turn it down. I'm pretty sure Auburn will go after him, it's whether he'll take it or not. The story may be somewhat accurate, but the timing of it seem to be classless, at best.

sporting news

It says Auburn is "close to signing" Tubby, then goes on to list other possible candidates. If they are close to signing Tubby then there are no other candidates, Tubby is their man. It is just a rumor and they are trying to get readers by saying Tubby is the leading candidate.

OK, do we really have to go through this with every fricken job opening, what a joke. Pretty sure Tubby is going nowhere. Didnt he just buy a house?? He has stated several times he really likes Minnesota, Ill take the mans word.

OK, do we really have to go through this with every fricken job opening, what a joke. Pretty sure Tubby is going nowhere. Didnt he just buy a house?? He has stated several times he really likes Minnesota, Ill take the mans word.

True, but this report goes far beyond the rumors and potential interest we've heard about with other job openings. Whether there's any substance behind this report, who knows? But the words are more ominous than we've heard before.

As for a coach stating that he likes his job ... that is meaningless in sports today.

This story is definitely more ominous. That said, not many news outlets picking up yet. Once they do I'll be more worried.

Wouldn't be surprised if this source was actually referring to Vince Taylor. Tubby seemingly out of nowhere was pushing Taylor as a head coaching candidate. The source probably referred to a Minnesota coach, and Dodd immediately thought Tubby.

FTB- That is the first thing I thought of when I heard about the Auburn deal. Either he is pushing him to get the Auburn job or he is lobbying to take his place when he leaves the "U". I would be very disappointed in Tubby's character if he leaves 3 years into his stint with us. To this point I have had nothing but the greatest respect for Tubby. It's too painful to think about starting over and the backlash with recruits and existing players leaving. Not to mention who the new coach would be. My only saving grace if he left would be if they hired Flip to come back. In my opinion, I think Flip has his eye on this job when Tubby's contract expires. I'm pretty certain he had some communication with the "U" prior to us hiring Tubby. Not extensive, but a feeler. Let's hope he's here to stay.

This report doesn't really go anywhere. The guy said it could be nothing. Why believe the Tubby leaving part but not the nothing part?

As I have been saying for months on this board...Tubby is frustrated with the University:

1) Practice Facility---promises made --promises not kept
2) MAbwkee should have been allowed to play this year---Joel Matury made that call of guilty until proven innocent
3) The handling of White---Tubby said many times about the slow wheels of justice in reference to white and Mabwkee........like it or not---Whites case seemingly did drag on---as if they were fishing.....had to be frustrating with the University Police.
4) Tubby will be offered close to 2.8M at Auburn which does have a new facility and has a first class athletic program.

My View is that this is a Joel matury confidence issue....I have not had trust and confidence in his ability since he hired Brewster and extended Borton........maybe this chicken will come to roost...I am not sure. Even if Tubby stays--it is an ominous warning that our AD is out of his league.....

As I have been saying for months on this board...Tubby is frustrated with the University:

1) Practice Facility---promises made --promises not kept

IIRC, Maturi promised Tubby a new practice facility after the new baseball field is finished. Does anyone know how its progressing?

Maturi has not been contacted.

According to the Pioneer Press, Maturi has heard the rumor, but he hasn't been contacted by Auburn. Get use to this, it's going to happen as long as we have Tubby. By the way, the U is in a salary freeze, meaning they can't give Tubby a raise, even if they wanted to. Tubby gets $1.75 million a year, just less than Izzo and Matta. If Tubby leaves, blame the U for not managing its money.

Top Bottom