Woodward: Obama administration officials may face criminal charges

bga1

Reaction score
Bob Woodward: Obama officials possibly facing criminal charges for unmasking scheme

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...sibly-facing-criminal-charges/article/2618185

The Washington Post's Bob Woodward warned on Wednesday that there are people from the Obama administration who could be facing criminal charges for unmasking the names of Trump transition team members from surveillance of foreign officials.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., said earlier that he had briefed Trump on new information, unrelated to an investigation into Russian activities, that suggested that several members of Trump's transition team and perhaps Trump himself had their identities "unmasked" after their communications were intercepted by U.S. intelligence officials.

The revelation is notable because identities of Americans are generally supposed to remain "masked" if American communications are swept up during surveillance of foreign individuals.

During an interview on Fox News, Woodward said that if that information about the unmasking is true, "it is a gross violation."

He said it isn't Trump's assertion, without proof, that his predecessor wiretapped Trump Tower that is of concern, but rather that intelligence officials named the Americans being discussed in intercepted communications.

"You can learn all kinds of things from diplomats gossiping, because that's what occurs. Under the rules, and they are pretty strict, it's called minimization. You don't name the American person who is being discussed," Woodward said.

He noted that there are about 20 people in the intelligence community who, for intelligence reasons, can order this "minimization" be removed.

"But the idea that there was intelligence value here is really thin," Woodward said. "It's, again, down the middle, it is not what Trump said, but this could be criminal on the part of people who decided, oh, let's name these people."

He drove the point home, adding that "under the rules, that name is supposed to be blanked out, and so you've got a real serious problem potentially of people in the Obama administration passing around this highly classified gossip."

bga1

Reaction score
I agree but, it's not "duh" to these posters. It has to hit them in the face repeatedly. Some of them are not even sure Hillary lost yet. Closed circuit to those of you on the left.... Trump won.

bga1

Reaction score
Smoking gun may be coming:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...stration-spied-on-trump-team-source-says.html

Schiff has been informed. He is not ticked off that the Obama administration tapped Trump and cohorts- but he is angry that he didn't get a chance to spin the info before Trump got it and Nunes tipped the media. Trump deserved to hear it first. He is not actually under investigation.

Does anyone here think that Trump himself is under FBI investigation?

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
"highly classified gossip"

Are you channeling your inner teen girl beeg?

BarnBoy

Reaction score
This is not a zero sum game.

If Obama admin officials did this, throw the book at them.

If Trump admin officials colluded with Russia, throw the book at them.

See, that wasn't hard to say.

bga1

Reaction score
This is not a zero sum game.

If Obama admin officials did this, throw the book at them.

If Trump admin officials colluded with Russia, throw the book at them.

See, that wasn't hard to say.
I have no problem with that and already have said it in several threads. Investigate all you want.

Here's more on the situation:

http://freebeacon.com/national-secu...political-surveillance-trump-transition-team/

"This is information that was brought to me that I thought the president needed to know about incidental collection, where the president himself and others in the Trump transition team were clearly put into intelligence reports that ended up at this White House and across a whole bunch of other agencies," Nunes said after meeting Trump on Wednesday.

The intelligence reports, which number in the dozens, suggest that the names of Trump and his advisers were not properly "minimized" in the foreign intelligence reports, as required under intelligence rules protecting the privacy rights of Americans.

Asked if he could rule out that Obama was personally involved in the surveillance, Nunes said "No, I cannot."

It increasingly appears that Trumps crazy tweets- may just have been spot on.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with that and already have said it in several threads. Investigate all you want.

Here's more on the situation:

http://freebeacon.com/national-secu...political-surveillance-trump-transition-team/

"This is information that was brought to me that I thought the president needed to know about incidental collection, where the president himself and others in the Trump transition team were clearly put into intelligence reports that ended up at this White House and across a whole bunch of other agencies," Nunes said after meeting Trump on Wednesday.

The intelligence reports, which number in the dozens, suggest that the names of Trump and his advisers were not properly "minimized" in the foreign intelligence reports, as required under intelligence rules protecting the privacy rights of Americans.

Asked if he could rule out that Obama was personally involved in the surveillance, Nunes said "No, I cannot."

It increasingly appears that Trumps crazy tweets- may just have been spot on.
None of that even comes close to backing Trump's tweets. We are talking light years away.

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/inte...e-trump-associates-directly/story?id=46325928

The problem with Woodward's speculation is that Devin Nunes may have been seeing shadows. Perhaps shadows cast by the Trump White House. A bombshell fizzles.

The chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Devin Nunes, R-Calif., does not know "for sure" whether President Donald Trump or members of his transition team were even on the phone calls or other communications now being cited as partial vindication for the president’s wiretapping claims against the Obama administration, according to a spokesperson.

"He said he'll have to get all the documents he requested from the [intelligence community] about this before he knows for sure," a spokesperson for Nunes said Thursday. Nunes was a member of the Trump transition team executive committee.

At a press conference yesterday, Nunes announced he obtained "dozens of reports" showing the U.S. intelligence community -- through its "normal foreign surveillance" -- "incidentally collected information about U.S. citizens involved in the Trump transition."

But Nunes never said Trump or any of the president's associates personally participated in the communications that were intercepted.

Sportsfan24

Reaction score
Nunes had no business making the sole decision to inform Trump of anything in the middle of an on going investigation.

Nunes only knew one part of the story; he has no idea what information on the call (if any) could have led to the judgement to unmask the American. He is part of a committee; that decision should have been discussed. What was the hurry? He has no idea where this investigation is going; it could be nowhere or it could go all the way to the President......former or current. This idiot could have just tipped off a law breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bga1

Reaction score
None of that even comes close to backing Trump's tweets. We are talking light years away.
Oh - I think if what Nunes says is true - we are now not far off of Trump's tweet: "Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!" Is Trump's tweet an exaggeration, I would still say probably.
An exaggeration makes Trump....a politician.

Bass- question for you. Do you believe that Trump himself is under investigation? Just curious.

bga1

Reaction score
Nunes had no business making the sole decision to inform Trump of anything in the middle of an on going investigation.

Nunes only knew one part of the story; he has no idea what information on the call (if any) could have led to the judgement to unmask the American. He is part of a committee; that decision should have been discussed. What was the hurry? He has no idea where this investigation is going; it could be nowhere or it could go all the way to the President......former or current. This idiot could have just tipped off a law breaker.

If President Trump himself is under investigation, then I don't think Nunes should have told him first. If Trump himself is not under formal investigation then Trump has every right to know and Nunes was right to tell Trump considering that he may have been the victim of illegal spying.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Oh - I think if what Nunes says is true - we are now not far off of Trump's tweet: "Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!" Is Trump's tweet an exaggeration, I would still say probably.

Bass- question for you. Do you believe that Trump himself is under investigation? Just curious.
No, just no. Not even close, not even in the same universe and definitely not anywhere near enough to justify multiple tweet and multiple attempts to defend his tweets.

Trump himself? No, not yet. Why do you ask?

Deleted_User

Reaction score
Part of the deal with the Russians was an agreement to attack the United States and install Trump as the permanent leader of this territory. Game. Set. Match. Less than 12 minutes old. Who has the testicles to defend that? Find your own sources. That is how this game is played.

bga1

Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/inte...e-trump-associates-directly/story?id=46325928

The problem with Woodward's speculation is that Devin Nunes may have been seeing shadows. Perhaps shadows cast by the Trump White House. A bombshell fizzles.

The chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Devin Nunes, R-Calif., does not know "for sure" whether President Donald Trump or members of his transition team were even on the phone calls or other communications now being cited as partial vindication for the president’s wiretapping claims against the Obama administration, according to a spokesperson.

"He said he'll have to get all the documents he requested from the [intelligence community] about this before he knows for sure," a spokesperson for Nunes said Thursday. Nunes was a member of the Trump transition team executive committee.

At a press conference yesterday, Nunes announced he obtained "dozens of reports" showing the U.S. intelligence community -- through its "normal foreign surveillance" -- "incidentally collected information about U.S. citizens involved in the Trump transition."

But Nunes never said Trump or any of the president's associates personally participated in the communications that were intercepted.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/House-intelligence-committee-wiretap/2017/03/23/id/780513/

The surveillance information House Intelligence Committee Devin Nunes disclosed Wednesday about intercepted communications between Trump campaign officials was "powerful," former Michigan Rep. Pete Hoekstra told Newsmax TV on Thursday.

"I heard about these documents on Tuesday," Hoekstra, a Republican who chaired the committee from 2004 to 2007, told "The Joe Pags Show."

"Someone — actually, through an intermediary — contacted me and told me what they had had," he said. "It's like, wow.

"It's outrageous what appears to have gone on in the White House.

"Yesterday afternoon, I was watching Devin — and it's like I've got my second source."

Hoekstra said his understanding of the intelligence data is "we have actual transcripts of intercepted calls.

"It doesn't really matter if it was inadvertent, accidental, or intentional — but the calls between both people that were targeted by our intelligence community," he told Pags. "They're looking at foreign sources.

"Our intelligence community is restricted. They have to look at foreign intelligence.

"They can't spy on Americans."

Sportsfan24

Reaction score
If President Trump himself is under investigation, then I don't think Nunes should have told him first. If Trump himself is not under formal investigation then Trump has every right to know and Nunes was right to tell Trump considering that he may have been the victim of illegal spying.
If members of Trumps administration conspired with the Russians to influence the election who would stand to benefit most? Trump. Would it be a long leap from there to at least contemplate if Trump was part of said conspiracy.

Same thing goes for my guy. Obama should not be getting briefings about the ongoing investigation either. If Trumps team was placed under illegal surveillance by folks in the Obama administration, again it wouldn't be a long leap to contemplate if the best President since George Washington was involved.

bga1

Reaction score
If members of Trumps administration conspired with the Russians to influence the election who would stand to benefit most? Trump. Would it be a long leap from there to at least contemplate if Trump was part of said conspiracy.

Same thing goes for my guy. Obama should not be getting briefings about the ongoing investigation either. If Trumps team was placed under illegal surveillance by folks in the Obama administration, again it wouldn't be a long leap to contemplate if the best President since George Washington was involved.

Why would Trump wiretap Trump?

howeda7

Reaction score
Please. The Trump campaign is under investigation. If Robby Mook was under investigation and Schiff had run to tell President Hillary before sharing it with the intelligence community you would lose your mind in rage.

bga1

Reaction score
Please. The Trump campaign is under investigation. If Robby Mook was under investigation and Schiff had run to tell President Hillary before sharing it with the intelligence community you would lose your mind in rage.
So Trump himself is not under investigation? I have heard a whole lot of impeachment talk from the Dems.... That would be wild talk if Trump is not under investigation.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Beeg it's kind of rude of you to ask me a question then ignore my answer and follow up question.

bga1

Reaction score
Beeg it's kind of rude of you to ask me a question then ignore my answer and follow up question.
Actually I am sorry about that bass- I overlooked it. I ask the question because I think with all the smoke this is something that is overlooked...Trump himself is not under investigation. Hats off to you for seeing that. We have people on the left talking heavily about impeachment and there is nothing here that goes any closer to Trump than Manafort and I don't see anything solid there yet.

So we have people on the left screaming that Trump exaggerated about Obama wiretapping him, and he probably did exaggerate even though it is now pretty apparent that the administration monitored Trump and his group. At the same time they are making wild claim s about Trump that have no basis in fact...so far as we know.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Actually I am sorry about that bass- I overlooked it. I ask the question because I think with all the smoke this is something that is overlooked...Trump himself is not under investigation. Hats off to you for seeing that. We have people on the left talking heavily about impeachment and there is nothing here that goes any closer to Trump than Manafort and I don't see anything solid there yet.

So we have people on the left screaming that Trump exaggerated about Obama wiretapping him, and he probably did exaggerate even though it is now pretty apparent that the administration monitored Trump and his group. At the same time they are making wild claim s about Trump that have no basis in fact...so far as we know.
No worries, I just wanted to know why you were asking. As for the bold, no it is not apparent. There is zero proof. Even less than anybody associated with Trump colluded with the Russians. All of this is just a whole bunch of butt hurt people trying to divide our attention of the actual issues. Healthcare isn't getting fixed and we continue to add to our deficit. Meanwhile the world continues to become unsafer (is that a word?)...

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The Pete Hoekstra interview was not illuminating. Like Nunes, Hoekstra did not view actual documents. Plus he called Nunes a "second source" even though Nunes has not seen any documents. And now, Nunes appears to be walking away from the "unmasking" among other things.

At this point, no one is publically admitting to seeing actual documents let alone producing them. Mark Warner, in a TV interview, said the Senate Intelligence Committee asked the various intelligence agencies for the alleged info and nothing has come back. So far it's spooks hearing ghosts.

howeda7

Reaction score
So Trump himself is not under investigation? I have heard a whole lot of impeachment talk from the Dems.... That would be wild talk if Trump is not under investigation.
Beeg, do you believe if Manafort and Stone coordinated with the Russians to interfere in the election, that Trump is fine and dandy and should not face consequences? Were you upset when Nixon was forced to resign? I mean, he didn't personally break into the Watergate, so he was totally innocent!

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Watergate started out as a "3rd rate burglary." Wound up with the President of the US resigning in order to stave off impeachment.

I am NOT saying that's what's going to happen now. Just saying that investigations typically build. The investigators come up with evidence against person A. Person A dishes dirt on person B to save his own skin. Person B dishes dirt on person C. and eventually it leads to the higher-ups.

Let's be clear about what Nunes is saying. The investigative arm of the US Gov't was conducting legal surveillance on Foreign citizens - possible after obtaining a FISA warrant. Those foreign citizens mentioned US citizens in their conversation. That, in turn, creates new investigative avenues.

Trump himself may not be the target of the investigation, but he can still be caught up in it if people close to him were colluding with a foreign gov't to benefit the Trump campaign. Manafort sounds like he's in it up to his eyeballs - new reports about him being linked to possible Russian money-laundering scheme, including large bank transfers he was involved in.

diehard

Reaction score
Nunes didn't inform Trump of squat other than that he/Nunes now knows what the Obama/Clinton teams did illegally. Illegally is putting it quite mildly.

They have worked hard to destroy the Democrat Party and are succeeding. That isn't good. The worst of it is that the rand a file Ds are supporting it. At least those who are not leaving it.

Top Bottom