Will Trump rally his Proud Boy supporters to entice violence tomorrow?

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Well, he is a fan of the death penalty after all..

• Treason: "Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States."
Sedition, I think:

If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Seriously, who knows what the guy might do in the next two weeks?
I guarantee you, one thing Trump is considering is upping the ante and shooting the moon: putting out a call for more of his supporters to come to D.C. and for those that are already here to stay and finish the job. At this point he has nothing to lose. Any question whether states are going to pursue charges against him was decided today, I believe. He's in deep shit.

Today was a close call. You saw how close the insurgents came to killing or kidnapping legislators. Had there been more numbers or a slower response by security... This isn't fanciful. This is what almost happened and what the terrorists intended.

howeda7

Reaction score
I guarantee you, one thing Trump is considering is upping the ante and shooting the moon: putting out a call for more of his supporters to come to D.C. and for those that are already here to stay and finish the job. At this point he has nothing to lose. Any question whether states are going to pursue charges against him was decided today, I believe. He's in deep shit.

Today was a close call. You saw how close the insurgents came to killing or kidnapping legislators. Had there been more numbers or a slower response by security... This isn't fanciful. This is what almost happened and what the terrorists intended.
Yes.

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
I’d really like to be a fly on the wall in the White House tonight. Is he sitting down thinking he had a good day or a bad one? And how many eggshells are the remaining staff walking on? And how does this end?
It's attention, no such thing as bad attention for Donny.

howeda7

Reaction score
Where is the press briefings from law enforcement on this? DOJ? Homeland Security? The FBI?

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Per the Washington Post he's in a "fragile mental state" and ranting about Pence stabbing him in the back. 25th Amendment ASAP.
I'm telling you, he has not yet called his armies to all-out war. This coup has been going on since early November, and it won't end at midnight tonight. Two long weeks ahead if he's not removed. Or maybe he's finally learned his lesson this time. 🙄

Bruno22

Reaction score
After seeing video of some of those terrorists scaling the outside walls, I had to wonder that if it would have been black or middle eastern people doing that during a different protest, how many of them would have made it to the top ?
The answer is not a pretty one. For those w a sense of humanity.

The outrage on this board if that hypothetical occurred and they made it to the top would be in such a different tone. Sad social commentary.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I’d really like to be a fly on the wall in the White House tonight. Is he sitting down thinking he had a good day or a bad one? And how many eggshells are the remaining staff walking on? And how does this end?
I’m sure all his children and wives are really, really proud of him tonight.

Blizzard

Reaction score
There's nothing inherently wrong with any of the various methods of granting Americans their right to vote.
We are a nation of laws. States have laws about voting. States circumvented their legislatures and constitutions in changing those laws.

Even though it's become rather popular we don't just say to hell with laws. Their are processes in place that need to be followed. If you can look at the mess we're in and say that this is good going forward in every election I'm not sure what to tell you.

justthefacts

Reaction score
We are a nation of laws. States have laws about voting. States circumvented their legislatures and constitutions in changing those laws.

Even though it's become rather popular we don't just say to hell with laws. Their are processes in place that need to be followed. If you can look at the mess we're in and say that this is good going forward in every election I'm not sure what to tell you.
We are a nation of laws interpreted by the courts and the courts found your statement to be untrue.

Here's what you guys don't get. The legislature authorizes the executive branch to conduct the election. Do you think when they want to add a second table at Precinct 3 to put their binders on that it requires legislative approval.

You DESPERATELY want to claim the moral high ground here, but I'm sorry, it's occupied.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Trump always planned this. Either he wins, or scream fraud and burn it all down.
The brain-trust did, anyway.

Trump has privately admitted that he knows he lost, and this is all for show. He thinks of himself as a great showman. I don't think he posesses the intelligence and empathy required to truly realize how much damage this has caused and how long it will take to repair.

OldBob53

Reaction score
This just in: there are bullet holes in Capital windows, fired from the mob.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
As far as whether the republic is over...

This could indeed be a pivot point in American history. It's certainly a test, occurring along with another test--the global pandemic. I'm an optimist, largely based on my observation that, when this country has gotten tested like this, we always come out of it stronger. I pray that's the case again now. The worrying part is that, if you consider 9/11 to be one of those tests, we DIDN'T come out of that stronger. We could've, but we chose war and rash, immmoderate actions that have made the country weaker and poorer and lower in international standing. So maybe the country IS trending in the wrong direction.

One way or another, we can choose a path forward. Barring a deepening of this crisis in the next two weeks, the path begins on the 20th.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Don't mean to be a d*ck. Sorry.

But:
Capitol - a building in which a state legislative body meets.
Capital - the most important city or town of a country or region, usually its seat of government and administrative center

MplsGopher

Reaction score
As far as whether the republic is over...

This could indeed be a pivot point in American history. It's certainly a test, occurring along with another test--the global pandemic. I'm an optimist, largely based on my observation that, when this country has gotten tested like this, we always come out of it stronger. I pray that's the case again now. The worrying part is that, if you consider 9/11 to be one of those tests, we DIDN'T come out of that stronger. We could've, but we chose war and rash, immmoderate actions that have made the country weaker and poorer and lower in international standing. So maybe the country IS trending in the wrong direction.

One way or another, we can choose a path forward. Barring a deepening of this crisis in the next two weeks, the path begins on the 20th.
The way we come out stronger is to actually codify proper behavior and procedure, rather than relying on gentlemen's agreements.

If it takes ending the filibuster and ratifying statehood for DC and PR, so be it.

No doubt that it may (probably will, like it did last time) come back around to bite us in the ass when the pendulum (violently) swings back the other way. But, something drastic needs to be done.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
The way we come out stronger is to actually codify proper behavior and procedure, rather than relying on gentlemen's agreements.

If it takes ending the filibuster and ratifying statehood for DC and PR, so be it.

No doubt that it may (probably will, like it did last time) come back around to bite us in the ass when the pendulum (violently) swings back the other way. But, something drastic needs to be done.
I've generally been saying that Trump's presidency can make us stronger if we fix the vulnerabilities it's exposed. This *should* have bipartisan support because either party could do what Trump and the Republicans have been doing.

Top Bottom