Will "Back Against the Wall" Pitino, pull a Rabbit out of his hat?

Otis

Reaction score
I am impressed with the efforts of Mr. "I would of been fired if not for COVID 19" Pitino so far!

He has assembled an impressive list of players during a very difficult time and hired a promising young assistant coach.

Do you think he can get approval for these guys to play, find the right mix, and achieve enough success to secure an extension? Get the critics off his back? Sign another amazing recruiting class?

I don't know.

But he's off to a pretty good start.

TurfGopher

Reaction score
Both waivers denied, Lackluster season, Pitino fired after missing tournament (Just predicting the opposite of what I hope happens!)

golf

Reaction score
Color me optimistic but need Robbins for this season. Pitino has proven he has the coaching chops except in recruiting. Hopefully that corner has been turned.

skyman31

Reaction score
Plus, also has Treyton Thompson committed for 20201. Feels like its been a while (Maybe just since Oturu) since we've had a solid commit this early.

Spaulding!No!

Reaction score
Middling results propped up by transfers with 0 sustainability into 2022. It’s what he does.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I am impressed with the efforts of Mr. "I would of been fired if not for COVID 19" Pitino so far!

He has assembled an impressive list of players during a very difficult time and hired a promising young assistant coach.

Do you think he can get approval for these guys to play, find the right mix, and achieve enough success to secure an extension? Get the critics off his back? Sign another amazing recruiting class?

I don't know.

But he's off to a pretty good start.
I've been a pretty strong critic of Pitino, but I don't know how anyone can't be impressed with what he has done this offseason. I suspect the team will be quite strong if Carr and the new players are all eligible. Even if one of Robbins or Gach can't play, they still could have a good season.

If Pitino can finish in the top five or so of the league, he should get an immediate extension after the season.

salzie

Reaction score
I've been a Pitino backer for long time, last year he started to lose me. I don't really see direction we're going and feel like we're rebuilding on the fly

Last year I saw team with improving (though still needing work) defense. If we can improve on defense and close out some games this year, we should be in ok shape. But I don't see this as more than a fringe bubble team and want us to be in mix for higher seeds.

I'm hopeful he gets he done, but if he doesn't, I think it's time to move on for both parties.

golf

Reaction score
I've been a Pitino backer for long time, last year he started to lose me. I don't really see direction we're going and feel like we're rebuilding on the fly

Last year I saw team with improving (though still needing work) defense. If we can improve on defense and close out some games this year, we should be in ok shape. But I don't see this as more than a fringe bubble team and want us to be in mix for higher seeds.

I'm hopeful he gets he done, but if he doesn't, I think it's time to move on for both parties.
If waivers are approved, Johnson and Gach should be big steps up from Demir and Willis. I am confident Gabe will improve. Would certainly expect German KD to help significantly more than last season. Robbins tempers the loss of Oturu. Much better bench. Given the waivers, we should be easily better than last season.

howeda7

Reaction score
Starting line-up should be ~ equal to last year. The bench should be much stronger. Learn how to close a game and we can be an NCAA team.

alchemy2u

Reaction score
Sweet Sixteen at least! Again, another year of big turn over with a lot of new comers. But at least three were significant stars on their teams last year. So they have game experience, just need to gel together.

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
For now, this assumes Gach gets a waiver, Robbins doesn’t (though I think because of COVID it’s slightly better than 50-50), and Carr returns. Gophers up one spot from my last projection.

Chico Gopher

Reaction score

What, specifically, would be considered "getting it done" this season with this new cast of players?

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

This has always been the question. Even when "back against the wall Pitino" pulls a rabbit out of a hat, the question builtbadgers and others have been asking is whether any of this is sustainable or whether it'll result in true contention in the conference or deep runs in the tournament.

That said, looks like we'll have an exciting-looking roster when and if they can get back on the floor again--and provided, of course, that Carr returns, which is highly likely but not certain.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
IMHO, it all hinges on Robbins getting the waiver. If he's in the middle, that sets up the rest of the lineup.

If Robbins does not get the waiver, that impacts the rest of the lineup, because you either have to go small, play people out of position, or force-feed minutes to players who may not be ready for reasons of health (Curry) or experience (Freeman).

I think Gach is a much better bet to get a waiver based on his family situation.

Robbins is a toss-up. That decision by the NCAA will go a long way in determining the team's fate and possibly even the Coach's future.

builtbadgers

Reaction score
This has always been the question. Even when "back against the wall Pitino" pulls a rabbit out of a hat, the question builtbadgers and others have been asking is whether any of this is sustainable or whether it'll result in true contention in the conference or deep runs in the tournament.

That said, looks like we'll have an exciting-looking roster when and if they can get back on the floor again--and provided, of course, that Carr returns, which is highly likely but not certain.
I fully support him winning his way to another year. I believe in sustainable when i know the coach built a foundation year one, whether they won those first years our not. Then it becomes fact when you sustain great success over many years.

golf

Reaction score
IMHO, it all hinges on Robbins getting the waiver. If he's in the middle, that sets up the rest of the lineup.

If Robbins does not get the waiver, that impacts the rest of the lineup, because you either have to go small, play people out of position, or force-feed minutes to players who may not be ready for reasons of health (Curry) or experience (Freeman).

I think Gach is a much better bet to get a waiver based on his family situation.

Robbins is a toss-up. That decision by the NCAA will go a long way in determining the team's fate and possibly even the Coach's future.
Post of the day! Well said. There are posters who think that the game is going away from Robbins types so we can be fine without him. Dont see it. Need his defense, rebounding, and he can be an offensive threat in the paint. Our season depends on the Robbins waiver.

Some guy

Reaction score
Call me simplistic but at the end of 2021 season Pitino either needs to be fired or have signed a substantial enough extension that nobody brings up firing him again until at least 2023

GopherBlood666

Reaction score
Call me simplistic but at the end of 2021 season Pitino either needs to be fired or have signed a substantial enough extension that nobody brings up firing him again until at least 2023
He could get a 100 yr extension and the same olds would still continually bring it up every time we lost a game. Just how it is.

leib0039

Reaction score
DJ Carton just got a waiver, at this point they just need to give everyone a waiver. If Carton gets one there is 0 reason to deny Gach and Robbins. Now that said, its the NCAA so there is no rhyme or reason to anything they do

builtbadgers

Reaction score
He could get a 100 yr extension and the same olds would still continually bring it up every time we lost a game. Just how it is.
You get that at nearly every program. UW had a dozen fans calling for Gard to be fired. I will never post after a loss or a bad week to fire Pitino. I believe in good AD's to fire on a body of work .

Parcival

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. At times literally half the board would be b*tching about how Pitino needs to be fired in the post-game threads. How he's recruited this spring with only 1 year left on his contract and an extremely hot seat has been remarkable. It isn't easy to recruit kids when you can't promise them you'll be there in a year - I hope he earns an extension.

Some guy

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. At times literally half the board would be b*tching about how Pitino needs to be fired in the post-game threads. How he's recruited this spring with only 1 year left on his contract and an extremely hot seat has been remarkable. It isn't easy to recruit kids when you can't promise them you'll be there in a year - I hope he earns an extension.
Yeah. I know my opinion was to let him go...but I’d rather know he is going to be here for 3+ years than have rumor swirling every year.

Top Bottom