Why does MSNBC (and possibly the DNC) hate Andrew Yang so much?

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
MSNBC has been "accidentally" omitting him for months despite his Top 7 / Top 5 polling.

This week they introduced a graphic that had a picture of another Asian man instead of Andrew's actual photo.

DNC doesn't seem to fond of him. In all debates he's had the least amount of time and as the lone minority, there has been a lack of polling for him to make the next debate.

What is it about him that they don't want people to hear about?

howeda7

Reaction score
I don't dislike him, but his twitter cult is annoying. He's been pretty much a one note candidate so far. He's not going to get a large share of debate questions if he spins every one back to "and that's why we need a Freedom Dividend!" The MSNBC stuff is weird, but I doubt it's some conspiracy.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
He's actually correct about the coming necessity of UBI, at some point in the future, probably this century.

But that doesn't mean he would be the best candidate. The best candidate is the one who can actually beat Trump, as difficult as that will be.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
I would not use the word "hate."

I see it like this - Yang is not part of the political establishment. He is an outsider. People in general - and news organizations as well - tend to be more comfortable with people they know and are familiar with.

that is part of the reason why it's so hard for an "outsider" to break into the political mainstream. Senators, Congressmen, Governors - they all come out of the existing political landscape. the pols and the media rub elbows and build up relationships. A candidate like Yang does not have any pre-existing relationships, and that will always be a detriment. Even Trump, who was billed as an outsider candidate, had been part of the media scene for years, and visible on TV. Trump had name recognition.

So, I do not think it is a racial thing with Yang. An outsider is an outsider. If his name was Andrew Smith or Andrew Jones, with the identical background, he would still be facing the same issues.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
People in general - and news organizations as well - tend to be more comfortable with people they know and are familiar with.
Huh, how about that.

I seem to recall a guy who got into the White House who didn't give a damn about the "rules" and generally did whatever his gut impulsively thought was correct.

A feller named Trump, if I recall.

OldBob53

Reaction score
MSNBC has it in for Yang? Sounds like a bogus conspiracy theory.

Cruze

Reaction score
My guess is that less than the 5% of Americans who voted for Hillary in the 2016 presidential election have ever heard of Andrew Yang and far less than that even have a clue where is from and what he has done with his life. On top of that, an Asian candidate's chances of becoming president are not much better than the chances of a Muslim. It ain't going to happen for awhile and we all know why.

Last edited:

howeda7

Reaction score
The Bernie Bros believe MSNBC and the rest of the media have it for them too.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Bernie is to Dems what Ron Paul was to the GOP.

There either needs to be multiple major parties, or neither should’ve been allowed to run under those parties.

OldBob53

Reaction score
Bernie is to Dems what Ron Paul was to the GOP.

There either needs to be multiple major parties, or neither should’ve been allowed to run under those parties.
Britain has at least 8 parliamentary parties: Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrats, Democratic Unionist, Sinn Fein, Plaid Cymra, Social Democratic and Labour. Although all but the first 2 are relatively minor players, at least currently.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Huh, how about that.

I seem to recall a guy who got into the White House who didn't give a damn about the "rules" and generally did whatever his gut impulsively thought was correct.

A feller named Trump, if I recall.
Trump did 2 things.

1. He opened the door for other candidates with less than ideal experience.
2. He leveraged his broad following and strong social media presence to become a story.

The media's mistake (if they didn't want him elected) was they didn't ignore him more.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Nah, the media wants ratings. That’s business. They don’t care if the world is on fire, so long as people tune in to watch the flames.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
We've learned this lesson already. The DNC and the MSM gets to decide who is relevant, who Dems should like and not like.

Section2

Reaction score
Trump did 2 things.

1. He opened the door for other candidates with less than ideal experience.
2. He leveraged his broad following and strong social media presence to become a story.

The media's mistake (if they didn't want him elected) was they didn't ignore him more.
The media wanted Hillary to win. Promoting Trump seemed the logical means to that end. Whoops.

Section2

Reaction score
I would jump on the Yang train but I have one major problem with him. The UBI could be an interesting concept but ONLY if it replaced if not every single federal welfare program, at least the vast majority of them. Leaving all those in place and adding a UBI is a disaster. It would probably be the biggest disaster in the history of the US. And with unemployment at 3%, freaking out about how a jobless future is just around the corner and so we must ACT with a new giant program is about the most government thing ever. But he's likeable for sure.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
I would jump on the Yang train but I have one major problem with him. The UBI could be an interesting concept but ONLY if it replaced if not every single federal welfare program, at least the vast majority of them. Leaving all those in place and adding a UBI is a disaster. It would probably be the biggest disaster in the history of the US. And with unemployment at 3%, freaking out about how a jobless future is just around the corner and so we must ACT with a new giant program is about the most government thing ever. But he's likeable for sure.
I think there is something very refreshing about the idea of actually giving money to the people instead of a few trillion dollar programs setup by the government to figure out a way to best help people through some highly administrative process to ensure the correct people are being helped.

Dean S

Reaction score
Magical thinking with numbers.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I think there is something very refreshing about the idea of actually giving money to the people instead of a few trillion dollar programs setup by the government to figure out a way to best help people through some highly administrative process to ensure the correct people are being helped.
The major social programs are retirement and health care.

$1k/month to every person making less than X is never going to replace those two major issues.

Top Bottom