Which player made you fall in love with March Madness?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
You can only choose one name.

Ken (Mouse) McFadden-Cleveland State

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
Patrick Ewing and the 1982 Georgetown Hoyas. I was crushed when Jordan hit his shot and Freddie Brown mistakenly passed the ball to James Worthy. Ewing was such a force as a freshman.

Otis

Reaction score
Darrell Griffith, Louisville

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
UCLA with the O’Bannon’s, Edney, Dollar and Bailey.

Edit: I didn't read the rules closely. TYUS EDNEY

Last edited:

BleedGopher

Reaction score
1983, we had a big family gathering for the title game. I was six, Lorenzo Charles, Jimmy V running around looking for someone to hug, I was hooked.

Go March Madness!!

WilliamsArenaGuy

The anti-Loon
Reaction score
Even though I was old enough to have watched several tournaments before, I'd have to say Glen Rice. That team and his performance is one of my all-time favorites in all sports. It didn't hurt that that was the year Gophers made the Sweet Sixteen and I visited Williams Arena for the first time. My answer could also just be 1989. The Big Ten was so loaded. I don't think college basketball has ever been better.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Hakeem Olajuwon

Runners up:

James Worthy
Clyde Drexler

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Even thought Magic/Bird was a seismic event in 1979, the player that electrified me and made me an avid follower of the NCAA tournament (and not just the Gophers) was Johnny Dawkins. We hate on Duke and K now, but in the 1986 final they were the upstart compared to the perennial national power Louisville.

JoshuaT81

Reaction score
I can't believe no one has said Christian Laettner.
He made me also fall in love with ncaa tourney because for no reason at all I always loved rooting against him. Obviously didnt go well for me.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I can't believe no one has said Christian Laettner.
He made me also fall in love with ncaa tourney because for no reason at all I always loved rooting against him. Obviously didnt go well for me.
That's why we didn't mention him. Most, if not all, of us hated him.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Lou Alcindor dominating as a UCLA Bruin.

After that it was Larry Bird bringing little Indiana State to the championship against Magic and the Spartans.

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Even thought Magic/Bird was a seismic event in 1979, the player that electrified me and made me an avid follower of the NCAA tournament (and not just the Gophers) was Johnny Dawkins. We hate on Duke and K now, but in the 1986 final they were the upstart compared to the perennial national power Louisville.
Funny you say that Bad, I loved that ‘86 Duke team-Dawkins, Alarie, Amaker, Bilas, Billy King, Cameron Crazies, they were fresh and new and a nice contrast to UNC. Who knew Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley and Dukie V were on the horizon?

LongLiveMilesTarver

Reaction score
Moses Scurry.

As you can tell by my screen name I love emotional elbow swinging power forwards with more heart than skill.

I also loved running around the house on my Dr. J hoop and screaming in an intimidating fashion (or the high pitched screech of a seven year old) every time I grabbed the ball like Scurry (and Butler) did. Had my father not told me to sit my azz down and be quiet the first time I did it, I'm not sure Scurry would have had the sustainability of a more notable player.

Top Bottom