What the Huge Drop in NBA Viewers Tells Us

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
Sports are becoming like politics - only the richest keep getting richer. Dream teams and absurdly giant tv and player contracts, multi-billion dollar stadiums; there's a disconnect beginning to happen with the everyman and sports culture.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Looks like aggressive leftist messaging has sunk The Masters:

Folk got lots more on their minds than sports this year - we all only have so much bandwidth.
Draw a line through sports this year in general.
If this continues in the next couple of years then I'd call that a trend and may signal a shift in people's priorities/viewing habits.

Iceland12

Reaction score
Not just sports...

The Country Music Association Awards fell to an all-time low in the ratings Wednesday, dropping by more than a third in total viewers and by an even larger percentage in the key ad demographic of adults 18-49.

Elsewhere, NBC's Chicago dramas premiered to numbers in line with their fall 2019 debuts, and The Masked Singer declined a little on Fox — though it still posted the night's top 18-49 rating by a good margin.

The CMA Awards averaged 7.08 million viewers on ABC, down 37 percent from the 11.27 million who watched a year ago and an all-time low for the telecast. The three-hour show also fell by 45 percent among adults 18-49, from 2.0 to 1.1.

The CMAs join the likes of the Primetime Emmy Awards, the Oscars, the MTV Video Music Awards and, most recently, the ACM Awards and Billboard Music Awards, in hitting record low audience figures this year.

stocker08

Reaction score
I watched more NBA this year than any year in the past. Probably because it was one of the only thing to watch. But after watching enough of the playoffs....I definitely felt invested.

I'll probably go back to mostly ignoring it next year when the Wolves look bad to mediocre and have no path to the playoffs.

Top Bottom