What the Huge Drop in NBA Viewers Tells Us

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if a lot of people didn't say the same things when Major League Baseball was integrated--that they'd never be a fan of the sport any more. And I'm sure some never came back, never went to any games again. And the sport thrived without them, left them behind, and moved on. In retrospect, the sport had no choice but to help lead society into a more just and inclusive era.

LBJ has stuck his neck out and made a lot of enemies and detractors by going uppity. But again, he'll be looked at years from now as more of a hero than a villain. It takes people standing up and taking a path of greater resistance for society to get anywhere. They said all those same things and worse about Dr. King back in the day.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
LBJ has stuck his neck out and made a lot of enemies and detractors by going uppity. But again, he'll be looked at years from now as more of a hero than a villain. It takes people standing up and taking a path of greater resistance for society to get anywhere. They said all those same things and worse about Dr. King back in the day.
What exactly has he done that would be "hero" worthy? Take a strong position in favor of China and human rights violations and crying about not being voted MVP?

And how exactly has he "stuck his neck out"? Good Lord, doing the opposite of what he's done, WITHOUT the full support of the media would be considered sticking your neck out. It's incredibly peculiar what we consider "courageous" nowadays. If the media is 100% on board and in lock-step with what you're saying, how in the hell is it sticking your neck out?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if a lot of people didn't say the same things when Major League Baseball was integrated--that they'd never be a fan of the sport any more. And I'm sure some never came back, never went to any games again. And the sport thrived without them, left them behind, and moved on. In retrospect, the sport had no choice but to help lead society into a more just and inclusive era.

For sure, when I think of LeBron James, I immediately think of people like Rosa Parks and MLK Jr.

Wow....

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
What exactly has he done that would be "hero" worthy? Take a strong position in favor of China and human rights violations and crying about not being voted MVP?

And how exactly has he "stuck his neck out"? Good Lord, doing the opposite of what he's done, WITHOUT the full support of the media would be considered sticking your neck out. It's incredibly peculiar what we consider "courageous" nowadays. If the media is 100% on board and in lock-step with what you're saying, how in the hell is it sticking your neck out?
Are you saying that he secretly doesn't agree with the things he's saying and that it would be more courageous if he fessed up and told the truth about his true feelings? This is a strange post. I haven't seen any evidence that he's secretly a right-winger and isn't on board with social progress and racial equity.

Spoofin

Reaction score
A hero? Oh my is that Looney Bird talk. LBJ won't be remembered as a hero or a villian - only as a basketball player. He is a great basketball player that has a platform because of it. It is a comfy platform with yes men where he can be heard. He hasn't sacraficed anything for anything - he just talks. "stuck his neck out"? "hero"? WTH?

Wally

Reaction score
Think what you wish - many, many longtime fans of professional sports have walked away due to the woke garbage. And they wont return.
As I said, they Hate uppity black men....
Shut up and dribble or dance for my entertainment you subhuman....

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
A hero? Oh my is that Looney Bird talk. LBJ won't be remembered as a hero or a villian - only as a basketball player. He is a great basketball player that has a platform because of it. It is a comfy platform with yes men where he can be heard. He hasn't sacraficed anything for anything - he just talks. "stuck his neck out"? "hero"? WTH?
I'm sure he made a ton of fans back when he sued Alabama football for allegedly copying his barbershop TV show theme; remarkably similar to what had been done countless times previously, although nothing could ever top the barbershop theme from "Coming To America"

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
There's barely any travelling or defense in NBA games - I fell off a a few years ago. It's getting to be that way for me with most pro sports. College is where it's at, for now.

Dream teams are stupid and denigrate the quality of the sport. Parity is a lot more fun for everyone.

Millions of Americans have enormous financial concerns right now and aren't spending money on going to sporting events or subscribing to expensive cable sports packages.

People can wait on sports. As long as there's money to be made, they'll always be around.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
People like nice people, they do not like jerks. It is as simple as that, it has nothing to do with skin color. Popovich and Kerr are not well liked, and they are white.
Popovich is a great coach and he is revered by his long-time San Antonio players and vets. He's also a good man.

Black is white. Up is down. Right is left. Night is day. And good is bad with you yo-yos.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Dream teams are stupid and denigrate the quality of the sport. Parity is a lot more fun for everyone.
Indeed. I've always felt that one of the biggest contributing factors to college basketball's renaissance that began in the late seventies was the demise of the UCLA dynasty. During the 12 year period from 1964 through 1975, UCLA won 10 championships; four of those teams were undefeated and three had only one loss. 7 of those championships featured double digit margins.

In the 44 championships since, there have been only two repeat champs (Duke in 91 and 92 and Florida in 2006 and 2007), only one undefeated team (Indiana 1976), and no other champ with fewer than 2 losses; 13 of those champions had 7 or more losses. The 10 year period from 1980 through 1989 was particularly competitive; 8 of those 10 championships were decided by 5 or fewer points.

Last edited:

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Haven’t seen anyone say the National Beijing league was on an island. More justnofacts lies.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
It's almost like the sports that were playing the most out of their normal season did the worst.
Right. Silver and the NBA are scrapping most of the overwhelming social justice imaging next season because it was bringing in too many fans. One literally has to exert a significant amount of effort to be as stupid and ignorant as you are. It is quite literally mind-boggling

Is it also your contention that some of those other sports like NHL and MLB employed any social justice messaging and still did poorly? The NBA was the only one? You had stupid pancakes for breakfast again today?

golfing18now

Reaction score
Are you saying that he secretly doesn't agree with the things he's saying and that it would be more courageous if he fessed up and told the truth about his true feelings? This is a strange post. I haven't seen any evidence that he's secretly a right-winger and isn't on board with social progress and racial equity.
it doesn’t take much courage right now to come out in favor of BLM and latch on to the narrative true or not behind the handful of police killings this year. He or she would be on the side of corporate America and pretty much the messaging of all professional sports. It would take a lot more courage but also shouldn’t be too difficult to condemn police being targeted in your city by some crazed individual. Lebron’s “No Comment” told me everything I needed to know about him. That’s not what a transformational leader looks like BadGopher.

Last edited:

LakevilleBro

Reaction score
Popovich is a great coach and he is revered by his long-time San Antonio players and vets. He's also a good man.

Black is white. Up is down. Right is left. Night is day. And good is bad with you yo-yos.
Pop has gotten way too political and has said that our country is an embarrassment to the world. Pop and Kerr criticize our country, but will never say anything negative about China. Many Americans did not appreciate these comments, and it is proven by the NBA finals viewership is down almost 70%.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Many Americans did not appreciate these comments, and it is proven by the NBA finals viewership is down almost 70%.
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "proven." "Proven' requires a much, much higher standard of verifying causality than just picking your preferred explanation. Why are so many of you right wingers who post here so dumb?

LakevilleBro

Reaction score
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "proven." "Proven' requires a much, much higher standard of verifying causality than just picking your preferred explanation. Why are so many of you right wingers who post here so dumb?
So why did Adam Silver say that the NBA will change their messaging for next season? I guess he is dumb also.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
The CEO of a for-profit organization says he wants to propose/implement corrective actions when any kind of loss that is incurred for whatever reasons?

Shocking.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
So why did Adam Silver say that the NBA will change their messaging for next season? I guess he is dumb also.
That still does not validate your theory. Whenever things go badly any organization will look to make some changes.

NBA fans didn't stop watching the NBA in droves because of some comments. The people who really care about such things, right wingers, tend not to be big NBA fans anyway.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
That still does not validate your theory. Whenever things go badly any organization will look to make some changes.

NBA fans didn't stop watching the NBA in droves because of some comments. The people who really care about such things, right wingers, tend not to be big NBA fans anyway.
You're right, it didn't just start happening in droves; it's been building for several years, but for a number of the same reasons discussed here

Top Bottom