What is it like on/off campus these days?

Wally

Reaction score
Japan is one of the most ethnically homogenous world powers. Something like 98% Japanese. They also have less economic disparity among their population. They get along with each other better than we do in the the world's great melting pot experiment.
There is always a lower class, pretty sure in Japan its women.

cncmin

Reaction score
UPDATE:

g) Oldest daughter had car broken into and stolen over the weekend. Really nice area around the University these days.

I really do hope this turns around next year.
Yikes. Her car was actually stolen altogether or just stuff stolen out of it? My rule of thumb for cars at or near the U - make sure nothing is left in sight to entice anyone, and your car will be left alone. Other than car stereos (back in the day), this held true. I wonder if this was the case for your daughter.

golfing18now

Reaction score
Yikes. Her car was actually stolen altogether or just stuff stolen out of it? My rule of thumb for cars at or near the U - make sure nothing is left in sight to entice anyone, and your car will be left alone. Other than car stereos (back in the day), this held true. I wonder if this was the case for your daughter.
The incident I referred to in my initial post was a situation like you described above. She had definitely left things of value in sight but it was broad daylight so she wasn’t concerned. She lost upwards of $5000 of electronics, computer, camera, etc.

The incident over the weekend was a van she had been working on to restore. She lost a few items in the van but nothing of significant value — a few camping items, bed, etc. She was mainly heartbroken about losing her first real purchase, sweat equity, etc.

The story gets more unbelievable. Last night her primary car was also broken into. It was clearly a botched hot wire attempt as she sustained a bunch of damage to the wiring. Turn signals, lights, all electrical, steering wheel damage, broken back window. She didn’t have anything of value in the car.

I’m now trying to convince both of my daughters to go elsewhere. It’s not a good situation down there right now. The local crime alerts go off constantly. I’m worried about my kids’ safety down there to be honest.

fair

Reaction score
Student here, graduating this semester. I've lived in the Como neighborhood for 3 years now and have anecdotally had no issues with crime or anything that has made me feel unsafe in my time here. I've often made solo walks back through Dinky around midnight after long nights at the library and never felt nervous.

A lot of what I've heard from other friends living off-campus is either constant issues (like golfing18now has described) or nothing at all. I'm guessing it's pretty area-focused, with the same people going after the same few blocks over and over again since they don't really get caught. Marcy-Holmes seems to have more problems than Como from what I've seen. There's no denying that there has been an uptick in crime over the past year, but I'll personally say I don't feel any less safe where I'm at. If you're coming for a more suburban/rural area, there will be a bit of an adjustment period as with any move to an urban area. Campus itself still has little-to-no crime, it's just the surrounding areas that can have those things.

cncmin

Reaction score
The incident I referred to in my initial post was a situation like you described above. She had definitely left things of value in sight but it was broad daylight so she wasn’t concerned. She lost upwards of $5000 of electronics, computer, camera, etc.

The incident over the weekend was a van she had been working on to restore. She lost a few items in the van but nothing of significant value — a few camping items, bed, etc. She was mainly heartbroken about losing her first real purchase, sweat equity, etc.

The story gets more unbelievable. Last night her primary car was also broken into. It was clearly a botched hot wire attempt as she sustained a bunch of damage to the wiring. Turn signals, lights, all electrical, steering wheel damage, broken back window. She didn’t have anything of value in the car.

I’m now trying to convince both of my daughters to go elsewhere. It’s not a good situation down there right now. The local crime alerts go off constantly. I’m worried about my kids’ safety down there to be honest.
I mean I assume she is calling the police regarding these things, right? Are there no video cameras in the area? Motion lighting? If not, why not?

In the end, glad your daughters are safe. These are just things so far, even if it is a pain in the backside.

Spaulding!No!

Reaction score
I just spent the afternoon in dimly town and on campus. It was great! 65 degrees and happy moods all over.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Does your daughter walk around with a sign on her back that says: kick me. 🤔

golfing18now

Reaction score
I mean I assume she is calling the police regarding these things, right? Are there no video cameras in the area? Motion lighting? If not, why not?

In the end, glad your daughters are safe. These are just things so far, even if it is a pain in the backside.

Correct. Big picture they are just things. She learned a valuable lesson last year about leaving valuables in her car. The two incidents this week are random but frustrating.

I'm not trying to make a broader point with my posts here. I don't have an axe to grind with the University and frankly I don't blame them at all. As a previous poster said, the campus itself does seem to be pretty safe. But these incidents have been blocks off campus, not miles. I"ll leave my own political feelings out of this post. I'm speaking as a dad here. The gun incident I mentioned in my original post, the assault with a deadly weapon that occurred on her block ten days ago, and various stories about kids getting robbed or assaulted are far more worrisome than the car issues she has had. I'd just like a better experience for my kids.

EDIT: she did file a claim for the first and second incidents.

Top Bottom