What is it like on/off campus these days?

TurfGopher

Reaction score
Sounds like a great place to live!!!!!! NOT.
You never lived on campus? Its a great time and I have never known anyone personally who did that had a negative incident other than getting their car ticketed, booted, or towed. Living on campus and in houses in the como neighborhood was the time of my life. I gather you are scared of the big city, but I love it here. There is so much to do so many different types of people and places to enjoy. Crime happens everywhere there is people. The more people, the more crime.

Wally

Reaction score
He should pack heat wherever he goes...
😯😯😯

BarnBurner

Reaction score
You never lived on campus? Its a great time and I have never known anyone personally who did that had a negative incident other than getting their car ticketed, booted, or towed. Living on campus and in houses in the como neighborhood was the time of my life. I gather you are scared of the big city, but I love it here. There is so much to do so many different types of people and places to enjoy. Crime happens everywhere there is people. The more people, the more crime.
Scared? Not so much. Choice of living in the big city/burbs or living small town / lake life is simply an easy choice for me. Likelyhood of crime is very, very low where I choose to spend my time.

cncmin

Reaction score
Has the U really changed that much for the worse? Really? I spent a ton of my time there walking, biking, or roller blading around in the dark either for study sessions or to play sports/work out and/or plenty of socializing, and never really felt the need to be with others to feel safe. Particularly on the East Bank, I never felt threatened. There were plenty of vulnerable times, too, such as over indulging in refreshments. I had the bike seat stolen from my locked bike on campus, that's about it. Getting too far off campus - that was a different story. But that's part of why I stuck to the dorms or housing pretty close to the U. The East dorms felt plenty safe. I visited plenty of off-campus establishments and clubs in the vicinity of the U and downtown, never really felt threatened. Heck, I used to play basketball with folks on the Marcy-Holmes basketball court and didn't feel threatened there either, though maybe I wouldn't frequent that area at night so much...

I spent my graduate school years elsewhere at another public university, not in an urban setting. Admittedly, it probably felt a little safer overall at the second school, but not by that much, at least on campus. The biggest difference in the second school versus the first was the relative safety of the neighborhoods just off campus, the city itself being more dedicated to the school than Mpls is to the U. MN/Mpls would do well to make the areas around the U into more dedicated/combined with the U and push out any rundown areas. I know that thought it taboo to some, but I think that would help greatly. I figured with the increase in large off-campus housing complexes and depletion of the old houses, that would be the case. Has it not? Has introduction of the rail through campus made it less safe?

Last edited:

Spoofin

Reaction score
Has the U really changed that much for the worse? Really? I spent a ton of my time there walking, biking, or roller blading around in the dark either for study sessions or to play sports/work out and/or plenty of socializing, and never really felt the need to be with others to feel safe. Particularly on the East Bank, I never felt threatened. There were plenty of vulnerable times, too, such as over indulging in refreshments. I had the bike seat stolen from my locked bike on campus, that's about it. Getting too far off campus - that was a different story. But that's part of why I stuck to the dorms or housing pretty close to the U. The East dorms felt plenty safe. I visited plenty of off-campus establishments and clubs in the vicinity of the U and downtown, never really felt threatened. Heck, I used to play basketball with folks on the Marcy-Holmes basketball court and didn't feel threatened there either, though maybe I wouldn't frequent that area at night so much...

I spent my graduate school years elsewhere at another public university, not in an urban setting. Admittedly, it probably felt a little safer overall at the second school, but not by that much, at least on campus. The biggest difference in the second school versus the first was the relative safety of the neighborhoods just off campus, the city itself being more dedicated to the school than Mpls is to the U. MN/Mpls would do well to make the areas around the U into more dedicated/combined with the U and push out any rundown areas. I know that thought it taboo to some, but I think that would help greatly. I figured with the increase in large off-campus housing complexes and depletion of the old houses, that would be the case. Has it not? Has introduction of the rail through campus made it less safe?
What the hell are you talking about? I’m guessing you are over 60 and telling about your campus experiences? What does that add to the conversation?

Spoofin

Reaction score
Well, this article is 2019 so not great for this discussion, but the following line made me laugh. In the top 0.5%...

University of Minnesota - Twin Cities reported 1,193 safety-related incidents involving students while on campus in 2019. Of the 3,990 colleges and universities that reported crime and safety data, 3,968 of them reported fewer incidents than this.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
So MPLS is claming most regular posters here are conservatives? Oh my, these folks are looney.

I just went to the GH stats and figured "reaction score" would be a good indication on who is having the most input/impact/visability on GH since the new forum. Of the top 10 - 7 are far-lefties, 1 is a moderate lefty, 1 is a far-righty, and 1 is an independent accused of being a far-righty. mic-drop
BIDEN IS THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER AND HILLARY IS SMOKING HOT AND UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME AND STUFF.

Nax5

Reaction score
Well, this article is 2019 so not great for this discussion, but the following line made me laugh. In the top 0.5%...

University of Minnesota - Twin Cities reported 1,193 safety-related incidents involving students while on campus in 2019. Of the 3,990 colleges and universities that reported crime and safety data, 3,968 of them reported fewer incidents than this.

That's an unacceptable number. I know the dynamic of the campus is odd, since it's kinda just dropped right in the middle of a city. Would be nice if we could compare these numbers only against similar universities in urban cities.

GoGophersUMN

Reaction score
I graduated 2 years ago.

I know a few people who were victims of crimes but the vast majority of people aren't. Any college in a big city is going to have crime. I only remember a handful of times on or near campus where I felt any sort of danger and looking back, there wasn't really any danger. It might be different if you're not careful and frequently walk alone at night, leave valuables in plain sight in your car, don't lock your car, etc. The least safe place is probably the light rail stops and on the train but I still generally think the risk is low. Crime has been up in the past year but that's been true everywhere and it will probably go down when things go back to normal.

It seems like people are always protesting something but usually it's no more than a minor inconvenience. The riots over the summer were an exception but I don't believe anything got too bad near campus and it seems like the issues came from people going out of their way to cause trouble, not a normal protest that got out of control. This spring/summer during and after the trial might be a mess but I don't think it's much of an issue long-term.

One thing that's gotten much worse is the area right around campus. There used to be a lot of restaurants, bars, etc. that made campus unique and over time, everything is getting replaced by luxury apartments and chain restaurants. It seems like housing near campus is becoming less and less affordable, but Como is still reasonable. Campus feels less like campus and more like an extension of downtown. Campus itself hasn't changed that much though.

Cost of attendance is also unreasonable and college isn't that good of a value. Tuition has been rising faster than inflation and you're getting the same value out of it or if anything less because more people are graduating college so it helps you less. This past year has really shown how little the U cares with charging the same tuition for online classes, charging students who never set foot on campus the student service fee, and pressuring students to leave the dorms without providing a refund. If you're going for something that has good career options like engineering and you get your degree in 4 years and get out it's still worth it but I've seen way too many people take more than 4 years, go a hundred thousand dollars or more in debt, and end up with a degree they aren't passionate about and that won't get them a job. That's not unique to the U but students should think more about whether or not college is right for them, what jobs they could get with their degree, and whether it makes sense to start at a community college.

Wally

Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about? I’m guessing you are over 60 and telling about your campus experiences? What does that add to the conversation?

I lived half a block off east river road on Ontario St 10 years ago and felt pretty much 100% safe anywhere in the area.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I lived half a block off east river road on Ontario St 10 years ago and felt pretty much 100% safe anywhere in the area.
Super. I lived on/bordering campus for 5-years, had 1 break-in, 1 car stolen, and one gun incident in our street - but still felt safe there, tbh. That was 25-years ago tho and not relevant to the discussion either.

PeoplesFront

Reaction score
For any crime that does occur on campus, prepare your nephew’s son for vague UMPD safeu advisories that are sent campus wide.

Example: robbery occurred at the corner of 6th st se and 11th ave se at 6:09 pm this evening. Victim was punched to the ground and had his laptop and cellphone taken. Suspect is a male between 5’8” and 6’0” and is wearing pants and a tshirt. Suspect was last seen running north on 11th ave se. Victim is receiving care for his injuries. If you see anything suspicious contact the UMPD.

TurfGopher

Reaction score
Except for Japan 🙂
Japan is one of the most ethnically homogenous world powers. Something like 98% Japanese. They also have less economic disparity among their population. They get along with each other better than we do in the the world's great melting pot experiment.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score

That's certainly alarming, so I clicked the link. Looks like UMN is in the bottom half for incidents per student. 91% of the incidents at UMN are possession of alcohol or drugs. The article did say this: "Higher incidents of reported crime could mean the school is stricter about law enforcement and reporting." Maybe the U is stricter on underage drinking and drug possession? I've also heard that anecdotally over the years. Rates of more serious crimes are much higher off campus.

I guess the link reaffirms what others have said. Off campus is less safe than on. And maybe the U is more safe than the headlines suggest?

Wally

Reaction score
Japan is one of the most ethnically homogenous world powers. Something like 98% Japanese. They also have less economic disparity among their population. They get along with each other better than we do in the the world's great melting pot experiment.

And their population is essentially dieing out. Before long Japan will be robots wiping Geriatric asses and not much more.

atsgopher

Reaction score
That's an unacceptable number. I know the dynamic of the campus is odd, since it's kinda just dropped right in the middle of a city. Would be nice if we could compare these numbers only against similar universities in urban cities.
We’re 9th largest in 2019 according to Wikipedia.

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, the three times in my life that i have had my front door kicked in, have all been on/near campus.

On the other hand, I don't remember who said their daughter got egged, but that has been happening to passers-by on Frat Row for decades.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Scared? Not so much. Choice of living in the big city/burbs or living small town / lake life is simply an easy choice for me. Likelyhood of crime is very, very low where I choose to spend my time.
Likelihood of correct spelling, also very low.

golfing18now

Reaction score
Despite the ringing endorsement of @MplsGopher, I will give you an honest impression. (Also might need to check your counts -- of the regular posters on this forum, at least half are not conservative).

I have two daughters that live in the area. My eldest daughter did not take classes this year but lives a handful of blocks off campus. My second daughter is a freshman living in the dorms this year.

In general, this year hasn't been a great year for the University for a number of reasons somewhat out of their control. But a few things that have happened:
a) Oldest daughter had car broken into and had laptop, camera, IPAD, journals, and a number of things stolen. (during the day)
b) Oldest daughter had somebody shot in the arm outside her apartment building
c) Oldest daughter had a package stolen from her front porch two weeks ago. Perpetrator was nice enough to leave the receipt next to the door.
d) Younger daughter was egged walking to get pizza by a couple individuals yelling BLM a month or two ago
e) In general, neither of them feels safe walking around campus at night
f) the dorm second daughter lives in is really empty relative to where it should be and the restrictions on the kids have been really overbearing

Last comment I will make. The University has gone full bore social justice/personal pronouns/inherent built in white racism in its curriculum and it has permeated many of the discussions in classes and on campus. My first daughter has a very liberal viewpoint and has not found this to be too much at all. My second daughter has a much more conservative viewpoint and has found this constant barrage to really take away some of her appreciation of her first year of college. (To be clear, not just the teachers but many of the students.) She would much rather take about chemistry than politics all the time. She will likely look elsewhere next year for school.

I do think some of these problems will improve next year with more kids on campus and more in-person classes. But it hasn't been a great year for the students this year. Not atypical from society at large.

UPDATE:

g) Oldest daughter had car broken into and stolen over the weekend. Really nice area around the University these days.

I really do hope this turns around next year.

Spoofin

Reaction score
UPDATE:

g) Oldest daughter had car broken into and stolen over the weekend. Really nice area around the University these days.

Sorry to hear that. My alma mater has a lot of issues right now. My kid chose to go somewhere else (not because of crime) and it didn’t hurt a bit.

jovs

Reaction score

it's been while, just over a decade but I used to run the dog from St Thomas to the U along the river, circle the mall and back, depending on time of year it was often in the dark, I never had a problem.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Our friend had her purse stolen in a smash & grab on a Saturday afternoon at Quarry Hill Nature Center, a popular family destination in Rochester. So I don't think that's a uniquely UMN problem.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Good luck to anyone who thinks crime is going to get BETTER in the near future in MSP in light of the last 12-16 months. The bad elements have been put on alert; anything goes, virtually no repercussions. Congratulations

Top Bottom