Walz Should Be Locking Things Up Right Now - COVID

MplsGopher

Reaction score
As we head into the Christmas shopping season and the malls will be more packed than ever because of Walz does anyone really think shutting down bars, restaurants, or gyms will make a difference?
Guaranteed it will make a non-zero difference.

The world isn't binary.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Update - instead of the regular 2:00pm press briefing, Walz is doing an "address to the state" at 6:00pm on Wednesday.

From a selfish standpoint, I would rather have him make the announcement at 2 and get it over with.
My radio station could potentially be covering 2 HS FB playoff games on Saturday. If the games will be played, we need to know so that we can prepare. Of course, if the games are not played, the point is moot.

Wow. That's interesting that this four hour delay will happen to affect your planning for Saturday to this degree.

Evidently 70-72 hours of prep time is enough for you to prepare, but 66-68 and suddenly your greatly inconvenienced. (16 business hours compared to 21).

Who would have thought Walz's timing would have pushed your critical path from do-able to a major inconvenience like that.

Do you have product shipping from the coastlines that need to be here in time for the games?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I think it was good, but probably overly cautious as we got into late spring.
Hospitals are full right now.
If you have any loved ones, make sure they don't get sick. They won't like their hospital experience if they have to go in right now (fewer touchpoints from staff / doctors / nurses).
Good number of nurses get taken out of the rotation due to COVID exposures to their family members.
Nurses deserve all medical expenses forgiven and a $100k bonus. Every G-D one of them.

They ran a marathon in the spring, and now they're being asked to run an Ironman on top of it. Because f___king selfish bast__ds can't give up Turkey and presents for one year.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Go to Burnsville mall and tell me how packed malls are.
People shop online now.
No. People will not do their holiday shopping all online. Malls will be busier than ever this year. Walz knows what the devastating result of locking down retailers during their most profitable season would be otherwise he'd close them down too.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
No. People will not do their holiday shopping all online. Malls will be busier than ever this year. Walz knows what the devastating result of locking down retailers during their most profitable season would be otherwise he'd close them down too.
No they won't. Capacity restrictions.

Lives and hospitals are more important that profits.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I think it was good, but probably overly cautious as we got into late spring.
Hospitals are full right now.
If you have any loved ones, make sure they don't get sick. They won't like their hospital experience if they have to go in right now (fewer touchpoints from staff / doctors / nurses).
Good number of nurses get taken out of the rotation due to COVID exposures to their family members.
Why was it good? We had more cases and hospitalizations in the spring when the restrictions were lifted, than when it started. Now we're going to do the exact same thing again, and expect different results?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
GWG really is insane. Hospitals are full and begging for help.

He would say "GFY". What a pos.

Spoofin

Reaction score
As we head into the Christmas shopping season and the malls will be more packed than ever because of Walz does anyone really think shutting down bars, restaurants, or gyms will make a difference?
The data and science show COVID isn't a risk at retail stores.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Exactly. And I agree with him. I don't agree with his status quo of not telling the truth on why he is doing something.

Gold Vision

Reaction score
What makes you think mall traffic will be up this year? Honest question. All of the mall real estate folks I talk to are trying to get “destination” anchor tenants and non-typical retail vendors that bring bodies to the mall. Restaurants, theaters, bars and attractions drive people to malls. Not typical brick and mortar retail.

howeda7

Reaction score
Of course they won't do it "all" online. But busier than ever? Not likely, unless you count pick-ups. Ticket sizes are up massively at Wal-mart, Target, and for furniture retailers etc. So they are still making sales. But fewer, larger ones.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Wow. That's interesting that this four hour delay will happen to affect your planning for Saturday to this degree.

Evidently 70-72 hours of prep time is enough for you to prepare, but 66-68 and suddenly your greatly inconvenienced. (16 business hours compared to 21).

Who would have thought Walz's timing would have pushed your critical path from do-able to a major inconvenience like that.

Do you have product shipping from the coastlines that need to be here in time for the games?
let's see. contact athletic director at host site.
contact both football coaches to get lineups, rosters, stats and arrange interviews.
put together notes on two teams that I have not covered this year.
and do all my regular work.

I put in an 11-hour day Monday.
I put in a 10+ hour day Tuesday.
It's Wednesday, and I'm looking at 9 or 10 hours at least.
I'm 65 years old with a heart condition.

Want to trade?

I take my job seriously.
I take a lot of pride in doing my job to the best of my ability.
I'm going back to work.
You can go back to being an Internet Tough guy.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
let's see. contact athletic director at host site.
contact both football coaches to get lineups, rosters, stats and arrange interviews.
put together notes on two teams that I have not covered this year.
and do all my regular work.

I put in an 11-hour day Monday.
I put in a 10+ hour day Tuesday.
It's Wednesday, and I'm looking at 9 or 10 hours at least.
I'm 65 years old with a heart condition.

Want to trade?

I take my job seriously.
I take a lot of pride in doing my job to the best of my ability.
I'm going back to work.
You can go back to being an Internet Tough guy.
I'm hardly a tough guy...

Wally

Reaction score
So your saying he should shut down all non essential stores too?

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
So your saying he should shut down all non essential stores too?
Yes shut the whole country down for 2 months. No mail, no grocery stores, no Amazon deliveries. Just shut everything down and then two months later we will be in the exact same spot wearing masks and people dying.

Wally

Reaction score
Yes shut the whole country down for 2 months. No mail, no grocery stores, no Amazon deliveries. Just shut everything down and then two months later we will be in the exact same spot wearing masks and people dying.
Kind of like Australia?
How are they doing?
Lots of deaths?

Spoofin

Reaction score
So why didn’t we just close restaurants last week. Why bother with the stupid 10pm crap? Did we trace more cases to pre 10pm in the past week?

Why shut down HS Nordic skiing? You can still go to Afton and ski in the general area of many others, but can’t cross-country ski outside in the general area of a small group from your school?

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Kind of like Australia?
How are they doing?
Lots of deaths?
900 deaths of 25 million people.

hey I’m all for it just make sure the weekly unemployment money is directly deposited into an account and I will gladly stay home for 2 months. I figure $1,000 a week after taxes should cover it. Anything to make sure grandma and grandpa live. Of course my grand parents are dead already, but I will still do my part.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
So why didn’t we just close restaurants last week. Why bother with the stupid 10pm crap? Did we trace more cases to pre 10pm in the past week?

Why shut down HS Nordic skiing? You can still go to Afton and ski in the general area of many others, but can’t cross-country ski outside in the general area of a small group from your school?
Why can’t 250 friends and family of Vikings players go watch their loved ones in a 70,000 seat stadium while wearing masks? The restrictions are just all over the place with arbitrary numbers, dates, and times.

Last edited:

GophersInIowa

Reaction score

I’ll continue to say the communication has been horrible throughout all of this. Is there a reason for some things being shut down and others not? Provide something to back up your decisions. An absolute failure.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Walz nailed it tonight. Great presentation, great methodology. Also the emotion and genuine feeling were there. That's why I voted for him and will continue voting for him. That's what great leaders do!

Loved when he was talking about the dream being to be at a Twin's game this spring, with a packed stadium, maybe even no mask! Can we just skip over the next four months??

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Walz nailed it tonight. Great presentation, great methodology. Also the emotion and genuine feeling were there. That's why I voted for him and will continue voting for him. That's what great leaders do!

Loved when he was talking about the dream being to be at a Twin's game this spring, with a packed stadium, maybe even no mask! Can we just skip over the next four months??
That’s great now way don’t the mandates go into effect tonight effective immediately. If someone gets sick and dies tomorrow due to a restaurant being open will blood not be on Walz’s hands?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Trying to figure this out with Walz's announcement tonight:

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer by any means but it looks like these numbers are pretty low considering we've had upwards of 240,000 cases so far.

Why are we shutting down these two groups?
Because tanks and barbed wire in the streets is a bridge too far to save lives...so far. Closest the US came to China was running down paddle boarders in Malibu in April.

Low hanging fruit, doing something, yada yada case numbers will reflect the virus running out of easy targets, peak and fall and presto policy worked.

Top Bottom