Walz Should Be Locking Things Up Right Now - COVID

bga1

Reaction score
Every state with community spread is having difficulty keeping it out of nursing homes. Unless you lock everyone in including the support staff for months, it’s almost impossible to prevent it from making it into nursing homes.
Yep and Minnesota has one of the worst records on this. One size fits all decision making doesn't work. Let the people decide how to live. Govern narrowly. Target the problems, not the people.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
bga: Target the problem!

everyone: No state has had any proven success in targeting that problem. It's not really possible to do that, without resorting to draconian, likely illegal measures.

bga: I agree.

bga: Target the problem!!

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
as far as sports, my local HS just shut down all activities and moved all grades to distance learning.
as of Monday, the school had over 300 students on quarantine (out of 1098) and 36 staff on quarantine (out of 212.)

The Varsity volleyball team played last week with 6 players - including 4 starters - on quarantine. They lost three matches in a row.

I suppose you could keep playing if your really want to - but is it "fair" to be putting non-competitive teams out there to get stomped?

According to the Strib, at least 74 HS FB teams have opted out of the Section playoffs due to covid, including 6 of the 31 teams in Class 6A. There are sections where only 3 or 4 teams are still playing, with the rest all opting out.

this whole thing is falling down around our ears. By Thanksgiving, I think the vast majority of schools in MN will be on distance learning and all HS and youth sports will be on hold. It makes no sense to have youth hockey teams going out-of-state for tournaments. (BTW, saw a story that there was a youth hockey tournament in northern MN. The parents of one team refused to wear masks - until the tournament manager said they had two choices - wear a mask or forfeit the game. they put on masks.)

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Just going to get worse, because dumb, selfish bas___ds won't stop going to gatherings over Tgiving, Xmas, and New Year's.

Once the holidays are over and those cases are banked, then perhaps things can stabilize a bit. Jan 20 maybe we can get some national movement on mask mandates and even a lockdown if needed for a few weeks.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Yep and Minnesota has one of the worst records on this. One size fits all decision making doesn't work. Let the people decide how to live. Govern narrowly. Target the problems, not the people.
People doing whatever they want is the problem. How do we target the problem exactly? Because recommending people do the right things is working. What’s your plan?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
as far as sports, my local HS just shut down all activities and moved all grades to distance learning.
as of Monday, the school had over 300 students on quarantine (out of 1098) and 36 staff on quarantine (out of 212.)

The Varsity volleyball team played last week with 6 players - including 4 starters - on quarantine. They lost three matches in a row.

I suppose you could keep playing if your really want to - but is it "fair" to be putting non-competitive teams out there to get stomped?

According to the Strib, at least 74 HS FB teams have opted out of the Section playoffs due to covid, including 6 of the 31 teams in Class 6A. There are sections where only 3 or 4 teams are still playing, with the rest all opting out.

this whole thing is falling down around our ears. By Thanksgiving, I think the vast majority of schools in MN will be on distance learning and all HS and youth sports will be on hold. It makes no sense to have youth hockey teams going out-of-state for tournaments. (BTW, saw a story that there was a youth hockey tournament in northern MN. The parents of one team refused to wear masks - until the tournament manager said they had two choices - wear a mask or forfeit the game. they put on masks.)
On quarantine, on quarantine, on quarantine....

I wonder how many of those athletes were, you know, sick? I would guess a massive majority are on quarantine because they once walked by a person who knew a student who tested positive a week ago or so

USAF

Reaction score
Same for drinking and driving, smoking indoors, and seat belts, I presume?

Let the people decide how to live.

Christ you're a tool.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Same for drinking and driving, smoking indoors, and seat belts, I presume?

Let the people decide how to live.

Christ you're a tool.
Seat belts = law.

Motorcycle - no helmet required.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Spoofin

Reaction score
On quarantine, on quarantine, on quarantine....

I wonder how many of those athletes were, you know, sick? I would guess a massive majority are on quarantine because they once walked by a person who knew a student who tested positive a week ago or so
I know of a HS football team in the city where a player tested positive. The entire varsity and JV football team were told to quarantine because they had been on the same practice field as this player.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
The school I mentioned is following protocols from the State Dept of Health and the Local County Health and Human Service Agency.

for any positive test, they do contact tracing to determine who has been in 'close contact' with the infected person. close contact rule is face-to-face contact within 6 feet for 15 minutes or more.

So no, passing someone in the hall doesn't count.

you can argue that the guidelines are too conservative or too restrictive - but we're talking about HS and Junior-High students here - not adults.

You can decide how much risk you are willing to take. I think a more restrictive or cautious standard for children is appropriate.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
If people had the disease, and recover, they are now immune. How is that different from a vaccine?

I'm sure Jodi is telling the truth, but she also lives in a very rural area, which has had 13 total deaths. An area very close to where I grew up. I also noticed we have a few friends in common on FB, and she doesn't seem to care too much about going to sporting events, and socializing with friends/family, and doesn't appear to be wearing a mask. But I'm also guessing with her profession, she's already had COVID and recovered. Most nurses I know in SD have had it.

The problem with government messaging is it was effective at the beginning of the pandemic, when everyone was concerned. Then it became political when Democrat governors failed to have an honest discussion about statistics of the virus in order to keep the restrictions in place. Those lies and flip flopping by experts like Fauci, Osterholm, etc, have led to distrust, and any new messaging falling on deaf ears.
This has been my experience. Some of the biggest scolds are the worst offenders. It’s wierd, but these folks also tend to be hyper political. They’re not generally into self examination.

Wally

Reaction score
So, how many otherwise healthy students under 19 have died of COVID have died this year in Minnesota?

My guess is zero

So maybe we need to stop holding the volleyball games in the nursing homes, where 80 percent of the dying live.

Or shut down bar counter service in the Nursing Homes,

now that would be progress for our meathead Governor... free advice

Problem solved!
A 17 or 18 year old dancer was in the hospital with multiple organ failure last week.

Wally

Reaction score
It makes no sense to have youth hockey teams going out-of-state for tournaments.
Guy at work brought his kid to a hockey tournament, half the teams didn't show up. He was wondering if it was safe, he is 5'8" about 280lbs I would guess, definitely morbidly obese no matter what his actual weight is.

People really are clueless. He may not die because he isn't old or black, but if he gets infected a hospitalization wouldn't be the least bit surprising.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Walz is finally heeding -sp my advice.
Locking this down.
Hospitals are full.
If you have loved ones, hope they don't get sick or need a hospital stay right now.

There is no room in the inn.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Gov. Tim Walz is expected to announce on Wednesday new restrictions on bars, restaurants, social gatherings and gyms and fitness centers, as well as youth sports, in response to the surge in COVID-19 cases in the state.

“Community spread is rampant now in Minnesota,” Walz said in a press briefing Tuesday. “The idea that we can just go on the way we have is simply not sustained by the facts.”

Walz has said over the past few weeks that any new “dial-back” measures would be concentrated on settings that showed high levels of COVID-19 transmission.

Outbreaks in restaurants and bars are linked to nearly 2,800 infections from the new coronavirus at close to 140 locations, according to data released by the Minnesota Department of Health on Monday.

Gyms have had 48 outbreaks that resulted in 747 cases, or about 15 cases for each outbreak.

howeda7

Reaction score
When do we next grab our guns and march on the Governor's mansion?

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Guy at work brought his kid to a hockey tournament, half the teams didn't show up. He was wondering if it was safe, he is 5'8" about 280lbs I would guess, definitely morbidly obese no matter what his actual weight is.

People really are clueless. He may not die because he isn't old or black, but if he gets infected a hospitalization wouldn't be the least bit surprising.
I don’t get the black angle is this post. Is the corona virus racist?

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Walz is finally heeding -sp my advice.
Locking this down.
Hospitals are full.
If you have loved ones, hope they don't get sick or need a hospital stay right now.

There is no room in the inn.
So the first lockdown was a complete failure? The one that was needed for just two weeks, I mean two months, to ramp up hospital capacity and testing?

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Update - instead of the regular 2:00pm press briefing, Walz is doing an "address to the state" at 6:00pm on Wednesday.

From a selfish standpoint, I would rather have him make the announcement at 2 and get it over with.
My radio station could potentially be covering 2 HS FB playoff games on Saturday. If the games will be played, we need to know so that we can prepare. Of course, if the games are not played, the point is moot.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Update - instead of the regular 2:00pm press briefing, Walz is doing an "address to the state" at 6:00pm on Wednesday.

From a selfish standpoint, I would rather have him make the announcement at 2 and get it over with.
My radio station could potentially be covering 2 HS FB playoff games on Saturday. If the games will be played, we need to know so that we can prepare. Of course, if the games are not played, the point is moot.
SON - what are your thoughts on what they should do with HS Sports? Seems obvious he is going to do something - but it would be nice if he looked at sports individually and not as a whole, IMO. Some winter sports like nordic skiing or swimming (where the girls did virtual meets in the Fall) seem pretty low risk to me. Gymnastics would be another. Especially with distance learning now it would seem these athletes could distance pretty well.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Trying to figure this out with Walz's announcement tonight:

Outbreaks in restaurants and bars are linked to nearly 2,800 infections from the new coronavirus at close to 140 locations, according to data released by the Minnesota Department of Health on Monday.
And:

Gyms have had 48 outbreaks that resulted in 747 cases, or about 15 cases for each outbreak.
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer by any means but it looks like these numbers are pretty low considering we've had upwards of 240,000 cases so far.

Why are we shutting down these two groups?

MplsGopher

Reaction score

The new restrictions might not take effect until next Monday, for hypothetical example. In such case, I think it better he look every Minnesotan in the eye on TV and explain why we did this to ourselves by not taking the pandemic seriously enough, and that the new restrictions will be targeted, as much as reasonable, to the specific scenarios where data says the most cases are coming from.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Trying to figure this out with Walz's announcement tonight:

And:

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer by any means but it looks like these numbers are pretty low considering we've had upwards of 240,000 cases so far.

Why are we shutting down these two groups?
1) the timeframe of the 2800 and 747 numbers obviously aren't since last March. I don't know what timeframe they're considering, but obviously the total number of new infections in that period is far less than 240k
2) if those two scenarios are by far the largest of all others, why would you not try to target them?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Gov. Tim Walz will impose new restrictions on bars, restaurants and fitness centers starting Friday, closing them down to the public for four weeks as COVID-19 cases surge across the state.

Bars and restaurants will still be allowed to offer takeout services during that time, according to a source with knowledge of the restrictions. The new restrictions will also include a temporary pause on youth sports.

Blizzard

Reaction score
As we head into the Christmas shopping season and the malls will be more packed than ever because of Walz does anyone really think shutting down bars, restaurants, or gyms will make a difference?

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
So the first lockdown was a complete failure? The one that was needed for just two weeks, I mean two months, to ramp up hospital capacity and testing?
I think it was good, but probably overly cautious as we got into late spring.
Hospitals are full right now.
If you have any loved ones, make sure they don't get sick. They won't like their hospital experience if they have to go in right now (fewer touchpoints from staff / doctors / nurses).
Good number of nurses get taken out of the rotation due to COVID exposures to their family members.

Top Bottom