Walz Should Be Locking Things Up Right Now - COVID

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Nothing she could have done.
You know I've heard this, but I'm not sure that this is supposed to apply to ALL the governors, just some of them. I would guess Cuomo most definitely falls in the "nothing he could have done" category, if you use the accepted criteria

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Covid Kristi Noem's 2024 Campaign Slogan should be easy. I led the 2nd most-infected state by doing absolutely nothing. MAGA!
Actually it looks like she's vaccinated twice as many people with 1/3 of the deaths per population compared to the northeast, and only slightly higher deaths/1M pop than MN (for now), while doing significantly less damage to SD's economy.

Wally

Reaction score
Actually it looks like she's vaccinated twice as many people with 1/3 of the deaths per population compared to the northeast, and only slightly higher deaths/1M pop than MN (for now), while doing significantly less damage to SD's economy.
Its mostly Black and Brown people dieing, who cares right...

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Its mostly Black and Brown people dieing, who cares right...
Actually it's mostly people who have outlived the average life expectancy, regardless of race.

SD reported 76 deaths over the weekend.

51 of 76 were 80+
67 of 76 were 70+
73 of 76 were 60+

But we should totally keep everyone shut down, am I right?

Spoofin

Reaction score
You know I've heard this, but I'm not sure that this is supposed to apply to ALL the governors, just some of them. I would guess Cuomo most definitely falls in the "nothing he could have done" category, if you use the accepted criteria
You are correct, and I have been paying attention. What I have learned is that Gov of MN and NY could not have done anything. Gov of TX, AZ, GA, FL, and SD all could have (but did nothing). Sometimes you have to take notes on here - it can get confusing.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I know you're smarter than this. No one has been vaccinated. We know that a lot more people were infected in the NE early on than the numbers reflect due to lack of testing compared to now. While it would be a lie to say the NE didn't make mistakes early on, they were also at a disadvantage because they got hit hardest early on before we really knew what to do. We've now had plenty of time to get more prepared and treatment has vastly improved. The fact that places like ND and SD are trending to finish the year in the same ballpark as many NE states is a huge failure.

It comes down to messaging, not necessarily restrictions, lockdowns, etc. We know a portion of the population continues to not take this seriously. The governors of SD and ND encouraging mask wearing, avoiding unnecessary large gatherings, and just taking it seriously shouldn't have been that hard to do.

Here's a SD nurse that's talking about the dumb things she has to deal with everyday.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I know you're smarter than this. No one has been vaccinated. We know that a lot more people were infected in the NE early on than the numbers reflect due to lack of testing compared to now. While it would be a lie to say the NE didn't make mistakes early on, they were also at a disadvantage because they got hit hardest early on before we really knew what to do. We've now had plenty of time to get more prepared and treatment has vastly improved. The fact that places like ND and SD are trending to finish the year in the same ballpark as many NE states is a huge failure.

It comes down to messaging, not necessarily restrictions, lockdowns, etc. We know a portion of the population continues to not take this seriously. The governors of SD and ND encouraging mask wearing, avoiding unnecessary large gatherings, and just taking it seriously shouldn't have been that hard to do.

Here's a SD nurse that's talking about the dumb things she has to deal with everyday.

If people had the disease, and recover, they are now immune. How is that different from a vaccine?

I'm sure Jodi is telling the truth, but she also lives in a very rural area, which has had 13 total deaths. An area very close to where I grew up. I also noticed we have a few friends in common on FB, and she doesn't seem to care too much about going to sporting events, and socializing with friends/family, and doesn't appear to be wearing a mask. But I'm also guessing with her profession, she's already had COVID and recovered. Most nurses I know in SD have had it.

The problem with government messaging is it was effective at the beginning of the pandemic, when everyone was concerned. Then it became political when Democrat governors failed to have an honest discussion about statistics of the virus in order to keep the restrictions in place. Those lies and flip flopping by experts like Fauci, Osterholm, etc, have led to distrust, and any new messaging falling on deaf ears.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
This is exactly the lies and poor messaging I’m talking about.

Yet their own models predicted 10x + more deaths than we’ve seen through today.

Wally

Reaction score
The liberal way. When all else fails yell RACIST.
I was just speaking the truth. The younger people who die are mostly black and brown, once that became apparent people stopped caring about Covid.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
If people had the disease, and recover, they are now immune. How is that different from a vaccine?
Because we don’t know for sure how long that immunity lasts and if viral load plays a part in that. It’s not correct to assume that all those who’ve been infected already have the same level of immunity that a vaccine would provide. For some it may but it’s unlikely that all do. At best, it’s unknown right now.

I'm sure Jodi is telling the truth, but she also lives in a very rural area, which has had 13 total deaths. An area very close to where I grew up. I also noticed we have a few friends in common on FB, and she doesn't seem to care too much about going to sporting events, and socializing with friends/family, and doesn't appear to be wearing a mask. But I'm also guessing with her profession, she's already had COVID and recovered. Most nurses I know in SD have had it.
But her experience is probably a good representation of many rural areas of the Midwest. I know multiple people from my hometown area that still think it’s all a joke and that hospitals are lying.

The problem with government messaging is it was effective at the beginning of the pandemic, when everyone was concerned. Then it became political when Democrat governors failed to have an honest discussion about statistics of the virus in order to keep the restrictions in place. Those lies and flip flopping by experts like Fauci, Osterholm, etc, have led to distrust, and any new messaging falling on deaf ears.
The messaging has been bad from the get-go, I agree. To put all that blame on Democrats is ridiculous though. The lies and exaggerations have come from all fronts. I’ve said for a long time that we should be listening to the doctors, nurses, epidemiologists, etc instead of the politicians. But there are those that refuse to even listen to them.

There’s zero doubt that people like Trump and Noem have made this political. And for some reason a large portion of the population has decided that they’d prefer to get their medical advice from people like them. You can still talk about preserving freedom and looking out for your neighbors at the same time. There’s a middle ground between doing virtually nothing and locking everything down.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Because we don’t know for sure how long that immunity lasts and if viral load plays a part in that. It’s not correct to assume that all those who’ve been infected already have the same level of immunity that a vaccine would provide. For some it may but it’s unlikely that all do. At best, it’s unknown right now.
OK - but at this point hasn't there only been a single case reported where someone who had it got it a second time? There are people that get chicken pox more than once too, but it is still a pretty safe assumption that you won't get it again once you have had it. Yes, still TBD with COVID, but early signs seem somewhat encouraging.

Wally

Reaction score
OK - but at this point hasn't there only been a single case reported where someone who had it got it a second time? There are people that get chicken pox more than once too, but it is still a pretty safe assumption that you won't get it again once you have had it. Yes, still TBD with COVID, but early signs seem somewhat encouraging.
Have you gotten vaccinated yet?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score

Here’s an article about the messaging that I agree with. It won’t matter for everyone but could for some. Explain why bars are closing at 10 for example.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
To cut down on high risk interactions without forcing them to close completely. Its not obvious?
It is to some but unfortunately there have been a lot of people not understanding the reasoning.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Sounds like Walz, the State Dept of Health and State Dept of Education are getting ready to come out with new guidance for HS Winter Sports. Announcement could be made this week.

I will bet that all Winter sports will be pushed back until January at the earliest. and if the numbers don't come down, there might not be any HS sports until next Fall when presumably people have been vaccinated and the numbers drop to a 'safe' level.

howeda7

Reaction score
To cut down on high risk interactions without forcing them to close completely. Its not obvious?
Grandma said nothing good happens after 10 PM. I thought The Fellas were all about old-time family values?

oak_street1981

Reaction score
So, how many otherwise healthy students under 19 have died of COVID have died this year in Minnesota?

My guess is zero

So maybe we need to stop holding the volleyball games in the nursing homes, where 80 percent of the dying live.

Or shut down bar counter service in the Nursing Homes,

now that would be progress for our meathead Governor... free advice

Problem solved!

balds

Reaction score
The youth sports "pause" will be really tough on kids. No school, no sports, no activities, no hanging out with friends, all while in the midst of winter when it gets dark at 4:50. I know of many kids that are really struggling and now the one thing they had left is being taken away.

The numbers they presented yesterday of cases of athletes was pretty benign. 20-50 cases per sport of HS athletes in the entire state, with no absolute proof they got the virus playing the sport.

Our local activities director argued last week at a school board meeting that kids are safer participating the activities (with the protocols in place) than they are left to their own devices. At the time of the meeting, he said that our HS has had 2 positive cases this school year amongst athletes. He went on to say that in conference calls with AD"s from our conference that all AD's believe that, through contact tracing, an overwhelming amount of athlete cases are being contracted outside of school activities.

On a personal note, my son has played in basketball tournaments all summer and fall. All have been done in a very safe manner. Last weekends tournament, for example: Different, staggered entrances/exits, masks for all, except when you're playing in the game, plenty of space, sanitizer. The only time there wasn't great social distancing/masks, etc. was for the 18 or so kids when they were playing the game. About 20 minutes per kid. From June on (11 tournaments) I've never heard of cases or even a single kid/parent that believe they got Covid from a basketball tournament.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
So, how many otherwise healthy students under 19 have died of COVID have died this year in Minnesota?

My guess is zero

So maybe we need to stop holding the volleyball games in the nursing homes, where 80 percent of the dying live.

Or shut down bar counter service in the Nursing Homes,

now that would be progress for our meathead Governor... free advice

Problem solved!
Every state with community spread is having difficulty keeping it out of nursing homes. Unless you lock everyone in including the support staff for months, it’s almost impossible to prevent it from making it into nursing homes.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Every state with community spread is having difficulty keeping it out of nursing homes. Unless you lock everyone in including the support staff for months, it’s almost impossible to prevent it from making it into nursing homes.
Everyone on this board knows this. That’s why the let ‘er rip crowd won’t address it.

USAF

Reaction score
Everyone on this board knows this. That’s why the let ‘er rip crowd won’t address it.
It is, and always has been, a political statement. It originated with IMPOTUS. it remains a right wing talking point, and a right wing political rallying cry.

Thats the entirety of it.

Top Bottom