Vatican says it will not bless same-sex unions, calling homosexuality a 'sin' and a 'choice'

Nax5

Reaction score
It's sad for the people who oppress the church. In places of oppression the church thrives. China, Iran, India these places are seeing growth, despite overt government persecution. Where the church is dying is in places where human pride is strongest.
It's also sad for people who consider faith important to them. Because if religion follows the Vatican, it will just continued to be viewed as a hateful cult.

I also find it interesting that you're suggesting the church is a victim, considering it's one of the most oppressive forces in human history.

MennoSota

Reaction score
It's also sad for people who consider faith important to them. Because if religion follows the Vatican, it will just continued to be viewed as a hateful cult.

I also find it interesting that you're suggesting the church is a victim, considering it's one of the most oppressive forces in human history.
Nax, your ignorance of church history is showing. What you seem to be referring to is the era where the Roman Empire merged the Roman Church into its political sphere.
If you wish to look at shear numbers, you will find that atheists in the 20th century (just 100 years) murdered more people than all other groups combined from recorded history to the present. The death toll in communist countries is staggering. Then add the millions of dead by abortion and you have a greater number.
Traditionally, Christians have served people around the world, sacrificing themselves for others. However, you likely don't want to acknowledge this reality. NGOs are mostly Christian in background. Hospitals have been built all around the world. Clean drinking water and education are promoted by Christian organizations. In disasters, it is Christians running in to help. The reality is that Christians care, which is why others continue to become Christians.
But, back to the topic. Is the Roman Catholic Church misreading the Bible?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I think religion for most people is a place to belong, they need a gang to belong to otherwise they are lost.
100%, and frankly there is nothing wrong with that, IMO, so long as you keep your private beliefs private and leave them out of the public square.

That's the really the thing that the churches can offer people these days: community.

It certainly isn't truth about the universe.

MennoSota

Reaction score
100%, and frankly there is nothing wrong with that, IMO, so long as you keep your private beliefs private and leave them out of the public square.

That's the really the thing that the churches can offer people these days: community.

It certainly isn't truth about the universe.
LOL, it's always interesting to listen to atheists talk about truth when such a worldview is predicated on meaninglessness. Mpls & Wally, you keep me chuckling.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
LOL, it's always interesting to listen to atheists talk about truth when such a worldview is predicated on meaninglessness. Mpls & Wally, you keep me chuckling.
I'm not an atheist.

I believe in God. Just not the God of the Christians, Jews, and Muslims. I believe in the correct God, that actually created the universe.

Will be interesting to see what the correct God decides to do with you, when you die. You spent your whole life fervently believing in and defending a false prophet.

Nax5

Reaction score
Nax, your ignorance of church history is showing. What you seem to be referring to is the era where the Roman Empire merged the Roman Church into its political sphere.
If you wish to look at shear numbers, you will find that atheists in the 20th century (just 100 years) murdered more people than all other groups combined from recorded history to the present. The death toll in communist countries is staggering. Then add the millions of dead by abortion and you have a greater number.
Traditionally, Christians have served people around the world, sacrificing themselves for others. However, you likely don't want to acknowledge this reality. NGOs are mostly Christian in background. Hospitals have been built all around the world. Clean drinking water and education are promoted by Christian organizations. In disasters, it is Christians running in to help. The reality is that Christians care, which is why others continue to become Christians.
But, back to the topic. Is the Roman Catholic Church misreading the Bible?
I don't believe you have refuted my claim of the church being a major oppressive force throughout history. Religious persecution is certainly a thing of the past for the most part. But as long as the church retains power, it can still drive oppressive policy in modern times.

But I can agree with a lot of Christians being generally good people. I went on a few mission trips myself.

MennoSota

Reaction score
I'm not an atheist.

I believe in God. Just not the God of the Christians, Jews, and Muslims. I believe in the correct God, that actually created the universe.

Will be interesting to see what the correct God decides to do with you, when you die. You spent your whole life fervently believing in and defending a false prophet.
You are welcome to this opinion. Since you don't name your god, I suspect you are not being truthful and are likely an atheist with Wally and Murphy.

MennoSota

Reaction score
I don't believe you have refuted my claim of the church being a major oppressive force throughout history. Religious persecution is certainly a thing of the past for the most part. But as long as the church retains power, it can still drive oppressive policy in modern times.

But I can agree with a lot of Christians being generally good people. I went on a few mission trips myself.
I actually answered your question by explaining the Roman Empires consumption of the church at Rome. Eventually the political power lead to mistreatment of citizens much like what happened in Israel when Jesus walked the earth and the Jewish leaders extorted the people.
That, however, has nothing to do with the topic in this thread.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Thank you for confirming I am not an atheist. 👍
Yet, you have not revealed the god you worship or the tradition you follow. Therefore I will consider you an atheist until such information is provided.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Yet, you have not revealed the god you worship or the tradition you follow.
Not going to either. My relationship with my God is none of your damned business!

Thank you again for acknowledging that I am not an atheist. Indeed, I do not lack belief in God. 👍

MennoSota

Reaction score
Not going to either. My relationship with my God is none of your damned business!

Thank you again for acknowledging that I am not an atheist. Indeed, I do not lack belief in God. 👍
So you are an atheist and you just lied about not being one. Got it.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
So you are an atheist
As you acknowledged in post #367, I am not an atheist.

You have no right to question my beliefs, just as I have no right to question yours.

Unless you're declaring Jews, Muslims, etc. to be atheists because they don't follow your religion. That's your only out.

Go ahead, make your decision.

MennoSota

Reaction score
As you acknowledged in post #367, I am not an atheist.

You have no right to question my beliefs, just as I have no right to question yours.

Unless you're declaring Jews, Muslims, etc. to be atheists because they don't follow your religion. That's your only out.

Go ahead, make your decision.
You don't have any beliefs as you have never provided any evidence. Therefore, I consider you are lying about any belief since you do not provide anything other than no belief.

Are you saying you are Jewish or a Muslim?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
You don't have any beliefs as you have never provided any evidence.
What is evidence in this context? What evidence is there that you hold beliefs??

Are you saying you are Jewish or a Muslim?
Christians, Jews, and Muslims all share the same God, which is not the correct God, and two of them follow false prophets.

MennoSota

Reaction score
What is evidence in this context? What evidence is there that you hold beliefs??

Christians, Jews, and Muslims all share the same God, which is not the correct God, and two of them follow false prophets.
It is clear you don't believe in God. Yet you also show no other belief in a god. Therefore, no belief equals atheist.
In any case, the topic of this thread is clearly done.
Remain an atheist until you so choose to share your belief.

Wally

Reaction score

Good liberals...

MplsGopher

Reaction score

MennoSota

Reaction score
About 56% of the world's population say they believe in either of the two major false prophets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations#Adherents_in_2020

So according to Menno, if you don't believe in his God, you're an atheist.

Better tell all these folks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions_and_spiritual_traditions
Nope, according to Menno, you are an atheist because you have proven nothing else.
You claim some mystery religion that you refuse to speak of. Since you cannot express it, I simply say you are lying and are an atheist. Show us otherwise.

MennoSota

Reaction score
You haven't "proven" anything. You're an atheist!

I'm in here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions_and_spiritual_traditions

Go ahead, tell all those people they're atheists. 😆
What are you scared of, MplsGopher? Everyone reading this thread can tell you have no belief. If you did, you would share it. Therefore, I consider you an atheist until you actually share your belief.
I have been open about my tradition. You have not. Only lately have you begun playing a game. However, since you talk like an atheist and provide nothing to dissuade this notion, I choose to consider you an atheist. Change my mind. Share your belief with us?

MennoSota

Reaction score
My private beliefs are none of your business, frankly. Maybe I'm Hindu, maybe I'm Sikh, maybe neither. Regardless, I believe in the true God. Not a false prophet.

Only because you're lazy and don't want to admit you're wrong.
The laziness is all yours. You show your atheism with every post. It's okay to be an atheist and live with no meaning.

Wally

Reaction score
The laziness is all yours. You show your atheism with every post. It's okay to be an atheist and live with no meaning.

Explain how god imparts meaning on your life.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Explain how god imparts meaning on your life.
Read the Bible. It will tell you exactly how meaning is imparted.

There is no need to convince you. You have no intention of listening. Suffice it to know, my Christian tradition is in the Bible.

If you accept the premise that the Creator has chosen to communicate with the creation in the Bible, you find the meaning of life.

The creed is this:
What is the chief end of man? The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

Top Bottom