Vatican says it will not bless same-sex unions, calling homosexuality a 'sin' and a 'choice'

Wally

Reaction score
I don't get this comment at all. Wouldn't the small god be the one who doesn't want gays to marry? I believe in a B1G God who wants everyone to experience love to the fullest.

You can't reason with someone talking about a figment of their imagination.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Pretty bold by The Vatican. Francis was supposed to be the guy who was going to change things. Good to see they came to their senses:

The evidence is pretty clear that the people we are attracted to is more biological and cultural than it is a human choice.
However, everyone chooses whether they are going to act on their attraction.
For example, evidence shows many men are attracted to young women between the ages of 12 -18, but acting on that attraction is illegal and considered perverse. Most men choose not to act on such attraction.

So, the attraction is not necessarily a choice, but acting on that attraction is a choice.
Sam Allberry, in his book "Is God anti-gay?", writes:
"Ever since I have been open about my own experiences with homosexuality, a number of Christians have said something like this: 'the gospel must be harder for you than it is for me', as though I have more to give up than they do. But the fact is that the gospel demands everything out of all of us. If someone thinks the gospel has somehow slotted into their life quite easily, without causing any major adjustments to their lifestyle or aspirations, it is likely that they have not really started following Jesus at all."

No matter one's natural attractions, we all make choices about how we are going to act when those attractions come to our mind.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I’ve always found it odd when people care so much about what others do with their lives when it doesn’t hurt them or anyone else. I mean, really, who cares? I was born and raised catholic, still consider myself a catholic, but really find this view from the church outdated. I guess I can live with a religion denouncing same sex marriage because we all get to choose our religion. It’s when laws start telling people they can’t do it that really irks me.

MennoSota

Reaction score
I’ve always found it odd when people care so much about what others do with their lives when it doesn’t hurt them or anyone else. I mean, really, who cares? I was born and raised catholic, still consider myself a catholic, but really find this view from the church outdated. I guess I can live with a religion denouncing same sex marriage because we all get to choose our religion. It’s when laws start telling people they can’t do it that really irks me.
My view is...if the religion you are in requires you to restrict your own passions, either leave the religion or say no to your passions. Don't stay in the religion and demand that your passions be accepted by the religion.
I agree, with you contention that secular government should not restrict the actions of consenting adults as long as those choices do not cause harm.

Last edited:

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Pretty bold by The Vatican. Francis was supposed to be the guy who was going to change things. Good to see they came to their senses:

NEVER bless a same sex union when you can consummate same in the Vestry for free! 😘

Nax5

Reaction score
The pedo scandal would be fine if they’d just change their mind on same sex marriage.
Moreso that the Catholic church has already sinned enough for everyone. So it just makes them look like hypocrites by casting judgement.

Last edited:

Section2

Reaction score
Moreso that the Catholic church has already sinned enough for everyone. So it just makes them look like hypocrites by casting judgement.
Of course they have. Of course they are hypocrites. But that doesn’t mean you throw away your convictions. You just stop being hypocrites by ending pedophilia and installing much better controls.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
The pedo scandal would be fine if they’d just change their mind on same sex marriage.
Of course not. But it sends a message that if you wear a collar, the rules don’t apply to you. Two adult men having a consensual relationship is forbidden, pedophelia gets you a pension and protection from prosecution. it’s a complete abdication of moral authority, and it’s been years in the making.

Top Bottom