USPS in Trouble

Section2

Reaction score
The genius of Trump and his propaganda is that the 88-yo guy in ND who's not getting his SS check or meds on time isn't going to blame Trump for what Trump is doing. This is secretly the work of Obama or Clinton or Soros or Bill Gates or the migrant caravan or some other bullshit. To be able to do anything you want and never be accountable for it is an amazing feat, but it requires the brainwashing of cult members that evidently number over a hundred million in this country. Practically unbelievable but true.
SS checks haven't been delivered by mail in 7 years.

Biden didn't appear on any Sunday shows ahead of the convention, but he did an interview with Cardi B.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
The genius of Trump and his propaganda is that the 88-yo guy in ND who's not getting his SS check or meds on time isn't going to blame Trump for what Trump is doing. This is secretly the work of Obama or Clinton or Soros or Bill Gates or the migrant caravan or some other bullshit. To be able to do anything you want and never be accountable for it is an amazing feat, but it requires the brainwashing of cult members that evidently number over a hundred million in this country. Practically unbelievable but true.
Speaking of propaganda, despite being told repeatedly, the Democrats continue to repeat this lie in bold. You should reflect on the second bolded comment that you made. It applies to you instead of others that you directed towards.

Electronic Delivery of Payments
The Social Security Administration no longer mails paper checks, though many still refer to the payments as Social Security checks. There are two ways you can receive your benefits:
  1. Direct deposit: Payments are automatically posted into your bank account on your payment day.4
  2. Direct Express Debit Card: If you don't have a bank account or don't sign up for direct deposit, your benefits will be paid via a Direct Express debit card. Payments are automatically posted to your card account on your payment day. The card works anywhere that takes Debit Mastercard and you can use it to get cash at ATMs, cash back at the grocery store, or to set up automatic payment of your monthly bills.5

Panthadad2

Reaction score

Biden didn't appear on any Sunday shows ahead of the convention, but he did an interview with Cardi B.
Nobody with brains mails anything of value by first class letter anymore without a tracking number, insurance, both, or not at all. Based on personal experience the past few years, 50/50 chance it doesn't get there (yeah, I'm embellishing, but only a little).

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
I ordered a package on Friday and it was delivered to my doorstep on Monday. Seems like the post office worked very well there.

bigticket1

Reaction score

Actually, 540,324 Americans receive their SS checks by mail in 2020, according to the Social Security Administration. Only those who signed up for SS after 2013 are required to do electronic payments.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Actually, 540,324 Americans receive their SS checks by mail in 2020, according to the Social Security Administration. Only those who signed up for SS after 2013 are required to do electronic payments.
So .837% of the people that receive social security payments do so via paper check. Sounds like that would be pretty easy to eliminate. They must have a bank they use to cash the check at otherwise it does them no good. Think of all the trees that could be saved and how much less CO2 would be emitted if there was less mail. Seems like a win win for everyone involved.

USAF

Reaction score
So .837% of the people that receive social security payments do so via paper check. Sounds like that would be pretty easy to eliminate. They must have a bank they use to cash the check at otherwise it does them no good. Think of all the trees that could be saved and how much less CO2 would be emitted if there was less mail. Seems like a win win for everyone involved.
You could just admit you're wrong, and/or show a little empathy for half a million seniors.

But no, in true Trumpanista fashion, double down, and throw in some callous contempt as a bonus.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
You could just admit you're wrong, and/or show a little empathy for half a million seniors.

But no, in true Trumpanista fashion, double down, and throw in some callous contempt as a bonus.
What am I wrong about. What’s so hard about having your social security money deposited directly into a banking account. Try to get a job that provides paper checks, I bet that would be very difficult. Again if they don’t have a checking account at another bank the only way to cash the check would be to sign it over to another person and have them cash it which seems like a hassle.

What about the children like Gretra Thunberg who can’t go to school because of the fear of climate change. We could make such a huge difference if we were to remove all mail trucks from the world.

FYI I am being incredibly sarcastic in both posts.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Reaction score

The Democrats are leaving seniors to fend for themselves in Democratic run cities that are defunding law enforcement. The Democrats could care less about seniors. Not too mention sacrificing them in nursing homes and assisted living facilities.

GopherJake

Reaction score
What am I wrong about. What’s so hard about having your social security money deposited directly into a banking account. Try to get a job that provides paper checks, I bet that would be very difficult. Again if they don’t have a checking account at another bank the only way to cash the check would be to sign it over to another person and have them cash it which seems like a hassle.

What about the children like Gretra Thunberg who can’t go to school because of the fear of climate change. We could make such a huge difference if we were to remove all mail trucks from the world.

Do your credibility a favor and concede you were wrong.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Hard to justify removal of automation using the laughable excuse of “budget”. But reverting to manual labor and removing automation excels at slowing down the mail...
It's not supposed to make any sense.

I'm guessing we've only seen the beginning of what will be more and different tactics as the general election approaches. They can be instituted almost instantly; meanwhile the process of Congressional oversight is glacially slow. In the end, we might not know what hit us.

howeda7

Reaction score

In some states it's illegal to require employees to take direct deposit. My company pushes it very hard, as manual checks are a PITA. But around 10-15% of our employees still insist on them. I'd wager that's normal. Not everyone has or wants a bank account.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
Nancy Pelosi Goes Politically Postal
Congress ought to be embarrassed by this evidence-free conspiracy theory.
By The Editorial Board
Aug. 17, 2020 7:45 pm ET

Speaker Nancy Pelosi is calling the House back into session this week to address fears that the U.S. Postal Service is being infiltrated by alien lizard people posing as letter carriers. OK, it isn’t quite that bad. The actual conspiracy theory holds that President Trump is strangling the USPS to hack the November election.

But talk about “unsubstantiated,” as the press likes to call Donald Trump’s Twitter emissions. Democrats should be deeply embarrassed that their leadership has embraced such claims. Two Congressmen, including Democratic Caucus Chairman Hakeem Jeffries, wrote to the FBI on Monday to urge, if you can believe it, a criminal investigation of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy.

“This conspiracy theory is the most far-flung thing I think I’ve ever heard,” says Stephen Kearney, who worked at the USPS for 33 years, including as treasurer and a senior vice president. “DeJoy was not appointed by President Trump,” but by the USPS’s bipartisan governors. (Who, as it happens, selected him unanimously.)

“You can find valid operational reasons for the actions taken by the Postal Service so far,” says Mike Plunkett, another longtime USPS executive who now leads the Association for Postal Commerce. “In no way do I detect any criminality behind them, and I’m at a loss as to how one would reach that conclusion.”

The Democratic letter to the FBI cites news reports that the USPS is decommissioning hundreds of mail-sorting machines. But the context is that overall mail volume has fallen 33% since 2006. “They’ve been taking machines out of service for years now, and I’ve been encouraging them to do it more aggressively,” says Hamilton Davison, the president of the American Catalog Mailers Association. “I think that’s a good thing for America, because we don’t want to pay for stuff that we don’t need.”

Mr. Kearney, who now runs the Alliance of Nonprofit Mailers, concurs. “It’s obvious, to be efficient and not waste money, you need to take out some of that capacity,” he says. His group has similarly been urging productivity improvements, “because if they don’t do that, our postage rates are going to go way up.” A leaked USPS document floating in the online ether is titled “Equipment Reduction.” But it’s dated May 15, and Mr. DeJoy took over June 15.

Another claim is that the USPS is pulling blue collection bins off the street en masse. “They’re going around literally with tractor trailers picking up mailboxes,” Joe Biden said last week. “I mean, it’s bizarre!” The USPS says it has nearly 142,000 boxes across the country, which are adjusted as volume and costs dictate. In August 2016, the USPS’s Inspector General said that “the number of collection boxes declined by more than 12,000 in the past 5 years.” Voter suppression by the Obama Administration?

Alarmed Twitter users last week posted a photo of mailboxes on a flatbed truck in New Jersey. Oops: “Morristown Mayor Tim Dougherty said the mailboxes were being replaced with new anti-fishing boxes,” the local newspaper explained. On Monday the USPS said it would postpone this security upgrade for 90 days “while we evaluate our customers’ concerns”—in other words, to keep jittery partisans on the internet from losing their minds before Nov. 3.

Mr. DeJoy is being knocked for trying to cut overtime costs. But is it any wonder? The day he was sworn in, the Inspector General reported that in 2019 the post office “spent $1.1 billion in mail processing overtime and penalty overtime, $280 million in late and extra transportation, and $2.9 billion in delivery overtime and penalty overtime costs.” For context, the USPS’s overall loss that year was $8.8 billion.

Mrs. Pelosi is trying to put on a political show, starring Democrats as the saviors of the post office. She says she wants to pass a bill that “prohibits the Postal Service from implementing any changes to operations or level of service it had in place on January 1.” Also in the mix may be a $25 billion cash infusion. Then Chuck Schumer will demand that the Senate come back to town for the same vote. By the way the letter-carriers union endorsed Joe Biden on the weekend.

This is a made-for-TV phony political crisis. The USPS has long-term challenges, but enough money to last into 2021. Mr. DeJoy says there’s “ample capacity to deliver all election mail.” Some states have startlingly lax ballot deadlines, but nobody can pretend with a straight face that it’s the post office’s fault. Democrats have also scheduled a hearing for next Monday so they can yell at Mr. DeJoy in person. How long before Rep. Adam Schiff says it’s another Russia-Donald Trump conspiracy to steal the election?

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Do your credibility a favor and concede you were wrong.
If you can’t be incredibly sarcastic, which I am being, on the internet where can you be. I would say this is the most ridiculous thing Trunp has done during his presidency, but not sure this breaks the top 5.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
It's not supposed to make any sense.

I'm guessing we've only seen the beginning of what will be more and different tactics as the general election approaches. They can be instituted almost instantly; meanwhile the process of Congressional oversight is glacially slow. In the end, we might not know what hit us.
You Dems are trying to create a new excuse for when you lose, to claoim it's not legitimate. People see right through this nonsense. It's not Trump that trying to make a last second change to the way we vote, and everyone outside of your bubble gets that.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
You Dems are trying to create a new excuse for when you lose, to claoim it's not legitimate. People see right through this nonsense. It's not Trump that trying to make a last second change to the way we vote, and everyone outside of your bubble gets that.
I'm not a Dem.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
I'm not a Dem.
And to be clear, you ARE trying to create excuses for when you lose because you refuse to participate in Democracy like normal citizens who accept when the other candidate wins.

Maybe I'm wrong, let's find out? If Trump wins, will you accept that he's your POTUS & you lost? Or will you blame traditional voting, Russia, and the USPS?

Last edited:

GopherJake

Reaction score
Can you explain to me why your BFF is removing automated sorting machines and drop off mailboxes?

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Can you explain to me why your BFF is removing automated sorting machines and drop off mailboxes?
I've attached a 2015 report from the Office of Inspector General explaining it, back during the Obama/Biden admin.

On page #1 you'll see 'HIGHLIGHTS' "Nationally the number of collection boxes declined by more than 12,000 in the past 5 years."

On page #5 is more thorough explanation:

"As the Postal Service adapts its collection infrastructure to meet its customers’ needs at a reasonable cost, it has eliminated underused collection boxes that on average receive fewer than 25 pieces a day, and added collection boxes in places that are recognizable and convenient for its customers.

To identify underused collection boxes the Postal Service uses density tests to determine the average volume of mail collected, including an annual national density test, which was last conducted over a 2-week period in August and September 2015.

Nationally the number of collection boxes declined by more than 12,000 in the past 5 years."

Office of Inspector General

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Now about those automated sorting machines, can you send me a link to an article I can read on the subject? If it requires a membership, I'll need a password.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Now about those automated sorting machines, can you send me a link to an article I can read on the subject? If it requires a membership, I'll need a password.
No. I'm curious if the trend line is linear for either one of these.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
No. I'm curious if the trend line is linear for either one of these.
So as a baseline, you're now aware that mailboxes have been being phased out now for decades, and that 15k+ were removed under Obama/Biden.

Now you want to know if the trend line is linear? That would be a good research project for you. Until that time, there's no reason to believe there's anything nefarious about removing mailboxes.

Plus, it's silly because everyone already has a mailbox where they live. All you have to do is put it in your mailbox & the carrier will take it. No need to search out a mailbox to send a letter.

Top Bottom